MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Tizen SDK Beta and Source Code Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 01.Mar.2012 03:36    Post subject: Tizen SDK Beta and Source Code Updates   Reply with quote   

Tizen beta source code and SDK are now available. Developers are encouraged to start working with these new features and functionality to provide feedback that can be used to improve Tizen during the final stages of its development. You can visit the community page to learn more about participating.

Compared with the earlier code preview, the beta has additional features, tools, and other improvements, including:
* SDK support for Windows, in addition to Ubuntu
* SDK source code is now available
* Tizen Web UI framework extends jQuery Mobile to make developing web applications easier with optimized widgets.
* Tizen Web API provides more features, such as setting an alarm, accessing media contents, retrieving system information, and more.

Keep in mind that this is a preview and not yet designed for use to create production applications. Further enhancements and improvements to Tizen and its development environment will continue and the final release is targeted for the second quarter of 2012.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.May.2012 16:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Tizen 1.0 SDK and source code has been released, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Tizen 1.0 Larkspur SDK and Source Code Release
    Today we are excited to announce Tizen 1.0 Larkspur, including the addition of new complimentary components, as well as source code that focuses on enhancing stability and performance. We believe that these updates and new offerings improve the experience for developers. We are also continuing to work on improvements and additions, and we will be doing frequent updates to the SDK and source code. There are a few additional components that we plan to add in the coming weeks, and we will continue to fix bugs and add additional features.

We encourage you to download the new SDK and let us know what you think! You can learn more about where to ask questions or submit bugs by visiting our community page.

This release provides new features and other improvements, including the following updates to the SDK:

• Simulator: A new browser-based tool that supports the Tizen APIs and allows you to run and debug your web applications, and simulate running applications with various device profiles.
    • IDE: Enhancements include more flexibility around templates and debugging tools.
    • Emulator: Significantly improved emulator performance through Intel's Hardware Acceleration Manager for Windows and OpenGL acceleration for Linux.

Updates to the platform source code include:

• Web: Support for additional features of W3C/HTML5 specification
    • Location: Support for POI (Point of Interest) and route search
    • Connectivity: Wi-Fi Direct key features added

This is just a summary of the many changes, but you can see the full list by visiting the release notes pages for the SDK and the source code.

We have also made a number of improvements to the community infrastructure. We have also added a bug tracker and wiki for the community. There are also a number of back-end changes, designed to improve stability and scalability of the infrastructure. We hope you enjoy all of these new improvements for the Tizen project.
--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz

Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Thursday, 11.Jul.2013 14:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think the installation package for ubuntu is kind of horrible. It does all kinds of checks for whether the system have the required dependencies one at the time and only when I solve one issue I get to see the next thing that are required.

In it's documentation it states that I need 3 GB of disk space. When I try to install it says that I need 5.2GB. When I add another virtual harddrive in order to fix that problem I get the same error and have to launch the installer from a directory that reside on a partition with 5GB free space. That check is worthless because it will default to the user's home no matter if it has enough free space or not.

Only after I have done that the SDK tells me that I need to install from a graphical environment(in linux it's called Xorg). Good thing I have ssh available so I can use my linux desktop's GUI instead of having to install that also in my virtual machine. It is trying to be difficult in non-standard conditions. After downloading and/or checking every component it fails without telling me why. "Fatal error occured while installing Tizen SDK" is hardly any explanation. Luckily there is an install log that explains that I had a missing dependency(that is not listed any where, it just fails if a package is missing). It waits for me to write my password in terminal without saying that I have to write sudo. The installer refuse to work if I run it with root access. I managed to install it, but it took a long time. If anyone experience any of the same issues I might be able to help.

The Sailfish SDK is wrapped much better and because it's known to me it's so much easier to use than eclipse. I will give the tizen SDK a couple of days before I say the tizen SDK is bad. For now I will only say that the ubuntu installer is bad.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Monday, 29.Jul.2013 20:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I was wondering what userland Tizen was using so I figured that I wanted to check. They have a very nice git project-page here where they link a lot of projects. That repository is quite liberal and include a lot of external git repos that's not part of the current 2.2-release. The rpm-repository does however show which packages it use in it's current state.

They have also thought about wayland, but use Xorg in it's current 2.2-release. If they decide to migrate, then I still trust that they will either add xwayland for compatibility or port the libraries they are officially recommending to wayland so the third party developers won't notice.

Samsung is large so I have a hope that they will make it easier to develop linux phones without needing android hardware adaptations. Looking at that code I think linux + posix-compliant userland is getting a bright future.

Sure Mer and sailfish/Jolla is more my spirit, but I think Tizen can replace or complement android at >30% marketshare much faster than Jolla. That will probably help getting better GPU-drivers for linux directly and not depend on projects like libhybris. There are still a market for both OSes though. Tizen and Sailfish are fundamentally more alike than android and Sailfish. Both sailfish and tizen is using rpm for package management. Both have zypper in official main repo. Qt is however not officially supported so it depends on how good wayland support in Qt will be. Jolla is interested in good wayland support for Jolla though so it will probably work out fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic