MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Calendar backup & restore failure through PC Suite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leogenghis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: E90, 9500, 9290, 9110

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Mar.2012 20:09    Post subject: Calendar backup & restore failure through PC Suite   Reply with quote   

Hi, I hope there's still some E90 users around to help.

Today I did my regular PC Suite backup of phone contents and the Content Copier failed to backup the calendar. At the same time, the Communication Center cannot read the calendar entries on the device. However, the calendar still works perfectly on the phone itself.

Neither restarting both the phone and computer, and updating to the newest PC Suite, helped. So I copied my latest calendar entries manually, and tried to restore the calendar from my last successful backup (2 weeks ago). The process finished but didn't seem to do anything - my latest entries were still there.

I then saved and deleted the calendar file from the phone directly (C:\private\10003a5b\calendar), and tried the restoration process again. After it completed, PC Suite still can't read or back-up my calendar entries.

So I copied the original calendar file back to C:\private\10003a5b\. Unfortunately, NbuExplorer can't read the entries in this calendar file. There's no file extension either. Is there a program that could read them? If not, then I won't be able to transfer the calendar to a new phone in the future, and would be screwed if my E90 quits (unless I can get and hack another E90).

Thanks a million,
Leo
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 09:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This indicates data corruption somewhere. Since copying files does not seem to help, it could be some corruption in the file system itself. You may have to reformat the device. First make necessary backups of files to your PC.

Have you also tried to make a backup to a memory card?

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: leogenghis

leogenghis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 10:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks BentL for the tips. I suspected corruption as well. Backing up to the memory card works fine - it creates an .arc file which can be read partially by NbuExplorer. But the calendar file within it cannot be read - it's in an unknown format. So it means the calendar entries couldn't be read except from within the E90 itself. I also tried Mobile Backup, a .jar application that installs directly to the phone. It saved the contacts successfully but hanged on the calendar, forcing the phone to reboot.

As a last resort, I tested the Mobiledit and OxyCube desktop softwares this morning. Mobiledit didn't give an error message, but showed no calendar entries. OxyCube couldn't read the calendar either at first, but after a couple retries finally was able to do it, all 9000+ entries! The full version allows exporting of the calendar to a variety of formats. It's pretty buggy, though. It often hangs just trying to start up. But it may be my only option.

Leo
leogenghis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 10:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Disappointing. I just looked at the OxyCube website. The software has several license versions, with various features. The basic version is €19.95, but the cheapest version to offer exporting is €99.95. Yes, that's right, one hundred Euros. Just to be able to backup my calendar??

Leo
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 11:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Is there any .ini file in the Calendar folder? Maybe if you delete this file and then try to open Calendar anew, it will work.

--
Bent Laursen
jApi NL
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
15 in 13 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9210 E90 9500 N82 E7 HEMA H8 Lumia 950XL BB Passport Moto C Plus

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 15:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

In 2008 - almost 4 years ago ! - I did a hard reset on my trusty E90 , which BTW I still use as main device . Before I made a Backup on Memory Card . All items were restored ..... EXCEPT Calendar and Contact items ! Somehow there is an omission in the MMC Backup . It doesn't include Calendar and Contacts . So be carefull not to trust MMC Backup for Calendar and Contacts ! I didn't have a (PC Suite) Backup on Computer either . I managed to restore the Calendar by using the Bluetooth Data Mover (Transfer App) on the device connected with my former used device (9500) which had almost all Calendar items also stored . Maybe get another device - second hand E90 ? - and try the BT Data Mover before establishing a hard reset . The Contacts can be backupped trustfully though by going to Contacts -> Mark All -> Options -> Copy to MMC . And you can restore all items after hard reset in Contacts .

☺ Regards jApi NL
leogenghis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 16:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Unfortunately no. All the calendar folder contains is the one calendar file.

I may try doing a format as you suggest. Initially I was reluctant to do this, not just because of all the time it'd take to reinstall all the software, but because PC Suite seems to have a bad habit of messing up on the restores (from what I've read), leaving out contacts, calendar, settings, or a combination of those. Even though the calendar is still fully functional on the phone, I don't like the idea of not being able to back it up in a format readable on my computer, lest the phone becomes inoperable.

Do you know if there are other 3rd party softwares like Mobiledit and OxyCube that can read data from the E90?

Thanks, Leo
leogenghis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Mar.2012 16:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey jApi NL,

That's what I'm afraid of! Unfortunately my 9500 has bit the dust, so can't use that. If I decide to format, I'll do a "quadruple-method backup", meaning I'll back up using 1) PC Suite, 2) the in-phone backup to memory card, 3) the in-phone contacts backup, and 4) the individual copying of crucial files from the C:\private folder. Would likely take me a whole day or two, but would minimize data loss chances.

Leo
jApi NL
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
15 in 13 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9210 E90 9500 N82 E7 HEMA H8 Lumia 950XL BB Passport Moto C Plus

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Mar.2012 14:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

After making a Backup on MemoryCard , you could try a Softreset first and then see if Content Copier is doing it's work . Softreset - dial in Homescreen *#7780# - is setting the phone back to Factory Settings and doesn't harm other data . Maybe this trick works for you . Afterwards you can restore your personal settings by going to MMC -> Restore from MMC .

☺ Regards jApi NL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic