MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Meltemi tablet coming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Meltemi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 15.Mar.2012 04:53    Post subject: Meltemi tablet coming?   Reply with quote   

It looks that Nokia is planning to release a Meltemi based tablet.... At least this is what this Finnish blog says....

http://nokialand.blogit.kauppalehti.fi/blog/26827
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Thursday, 15.Mar.2012 11:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If Nokia releases a tablet, my money is on that it will be Windows based (and probably an ODM product - i.e., someone else will mostly design and also build it for Nokia - like the "Nokia Booklet 3G" PC was, and all current Windows Phone based Lumia models are).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 15.Mar.2012 20:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The question is if they can make a Windows-based tablet cheap enough to compete with that plethora of cheap Android tablets flooding the market. It's not only a matter of Windows licence fees adding to the end price, but also that Windows is considerably more resource hungry than Linux based systems, and therefore requires more powerful (i.e. more expensive) hardware (even if the resulting performace is the same or worse).

So a tablet with a simple Linux platform could be considerably cheaper than Windows-based one, at least for the lower-end range.

I'd say it's not something unthinkable that there are high-end Nokia tablets with Windows, and mid- to low- end tablets with a Linux-based system...

As for the Booklet 3G, I guess it wasn't a huge success for Nokia considering how quickly they ended its production. Maybe with MeeGo Netbook UX it would have been more popular? Funnily, even though it was released when Nokia was still involved in the MeeGo project, Booklet 3G wasn't even MeeGo compatible as no one (i.e. Nokia) bothered to include the EMGD (Intel Embedded Media and Graphics) drivers needed by the booklet in the Netbook UX distribution...

On a different note, I am wondering why Nokia has recently bought Norwegian Smarterphone company, creator of a feature-phone platform...

http://www.smarterphone.com/

Have their changed their mind and instead of Linux/Meltemi they are now planning to use the Smarterphone feature-phone platform as an S40 replacement?
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Saturday, 17.Mar.2012 23:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Funnily, even though it was released when Nokia was still involved in the MeeGo project, Booklet 3G wasn't even MeeGo compatible

Nokia could only support Windows in a PC, because they had to have PC Suite/Ovi Suite, Nokia Maps, Nokia Software Updater, Nokia Music supported at the time. Making a PC with Linux, but without Nokia's services or even PC Suite just wasn't an option.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Sunday, 18.Mar.2012 04:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I Don't think we will see a Nokia tablet with windows until after windows 8 is released.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 18.Mar.2012 05:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Nokia could only support Windows in a PC, because they had to have PC Suite/Ovi Suite, Nokia Maps, Nokia Software Updater, Nokia Music supported at the time. Making a PC with Linux, but without Nokia's services or even PC Suite just wasn't an option.

OK, that's a good reason why the Booklet was shipping with Windows preinstalled. But it still does not explain why MeeGo, i.e. the system commonly associated with Nokia, was not installable on Nokia's only netbook, and that's only because no one bothered to include necessary drivers in the MeeGo Netbook UX...

I must also say that I was never able to understand why Nokia has always had problems with porting the Ovi Suite and the remaining PC software to other platforms. It took them so many years to release Mac versions, Linux versions never came out.... Does it take more than hiring a couple of skilled programmers and letting them do the job? How much would it cost? I'm sure that they could easily find some Eastern European or Asian developers who would do it for say $20.000... Which is a tiny fraction of what they lost due to tens of thousands of people who didn't buy a Nokia smartphone due to no proper Mac or Linux support...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Meltemi All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic