MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
The first Tizen smartphone (prototype) spotted

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.May.2012 09:32    Post subject: The first Tizen smartphone (prototype) spotted   Reply with quote   

At the Tizen conference the first prototype smartphone running Tizen 1.0 has been shown.

It has:

* Dual-core Cortex A9 processor at 1.2 GHz
* Huge 4.65" Super AMOLED screen
* 720p (1280x720) screen resolution
* 1 GB RAM memory
* 16 GB storage memory
* 8 MPix camera (back) and 2 MPix (front)
* micro USB
* WiFi
* GPS
* Audio/Video Decoder (MP3, AAC, AAC+, Mpeg4, .h263, .h264)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rJ1y7CpIaVA#!
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.May.2012 17:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That seems very promising since it indicates that Samsung goes for highend with Tizen. I think this prototype is based on the Galaxy Nexus with some alterations.

The introduction of powerful hardware makes Tizen much more interesting and will help it to succeed.

I have been afraid that Samsung would restrict it when it comes to the hardware but it seems to be unfounded, which is great.

Edit: I have now watched the video and I like it.

The strong points I noticed on the prototype are:

1. A very good web browser, quick and efficient.
2. The file manager is there and that means a proper file system access (not dumbed down like iOS or WP 7).
3. The general look and feel is based on the Touchwiz and makes transition from other Samsung devices easy.
4. The notification system is proper and has the quick switches for airplane mode on/off, WiFi, Bluetooth etc that is a very good Sammie feature.
5. The speaker confirmed that Tizen is a highend platform for highend hardware.

In fact, I even think that it is more attractive than even the Nokia N9. This is mostly related to the fact that Samsung obviously goes for proper support and serious hardware and also seems to work towards a homescreen concept like Android (I don't like that Nokia removed the Maemo homescreens in Harmattan).

This first look has made me so interested that I will consider a Tizen device in the future. The only thing I would like is a device with stylus like the Galaxy Note and that means simply a Tizen powered version of the Note II.

Another aspect is that it seems like they ramp up preparations for developers in an early stage to ensure a proper flow of apps. Samsung has already the infrastructure since they operate their own app store even on Android (Samsung Apps/S-Choice).

When Tizen is adapted by XDA-Developers (custom ROMs and tweaks), the deal is safe for me. That is the last important detail since I prefer to run custom ROMs instead of official ones.

I have the impression that it will be possible to use different launchers on Tizen since the prototype has a typical Samsung UI, something I don't think Intel will employ. I like that concept since it means variation and the ability for manufacturers and third party developers to create different user experiences that can be customized.

So I think we will see the beginning of something big and that Tizen will be the third ecosystem beside Android and iOS.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.May.2012 23:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Indeed, this looks EXTREMELY interesting.

Tizen as a powerful, high-end platform may be a good option for all those who want to have unrestricted, not dumbed down devices.

Let's hope that in the future they also offer models with hardware keyboard.

If the prototypes have 720p displays then it probably means that production models will also have one (and the same applies to other high-end specs) as I don't think they would be providing powerful prototypes to developer companies, only to force them to downgrade their applications to much lower-end production models then...

An interesting thing is the Cortex A9 on the Samsung phone. I wonder if there will be another reference design from Intel with x86 processor... I'm not sure if it would be good to have two different processor architectures.

Anyway, it looks like a really good start. Let's hope they will be able to quickly turn it into something material, real phones that people can buy. Time runs fast.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mortenandersen

AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 02:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess that they can put new devices out fast, the most logical solution is simply to put Tizen on existing Android hardware since the CPU architecture etc are the same.

So I guess that the first public Tizen device will be a version of the Galaxy S III, perhaps with a different name (or they simply include it in the Galaxy line).

Since they already have their own CPU (Exynos) and other hardware components ready, the only thing they need is basically to package Tizen for it and then deliver.

After the Nokia disaster, it is good to see that their last powerful platform is still alive and is treated seriously. Obviously, Intel lost speed because of the failed Nokia partnership but I think Samsung is the best thing that could happen them - and more important: it is now, after the Galaxy S II success, that the Sammie brand has been so strong after that marketing boost that the time is here for the new platform.

They can roll it out directly to dual/quadcore CPUs etc and therefore take a step forward.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 03:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Obviously, Intel lost speed because of the failed Nokia partnership but I think Samsung is the best thing that could happen them

I have the very same feeling.
Samsung seems to be something completely opposite to Nokia. They know what they want, and they REALLY want it. If they're not satisfied with something, they IMPROVE it, not kill it like Nokia.

If Samsung succeeds with Tizen, it will be the best proof that Harmattan could have also been extremely successful, if only normally promoted, supported, and simply SERIOUSLY treated.

It will be a really interesting thing to see how Samsung succeeds with a brand new operating system originating from MeeGo that Nokia ditched and called a burning platform.... and ended up with nothing.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 15:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My impression of Nokia when it comes to MeeGo was that they spent a lot of time of creating their own, closed version - the Harmattan with the Swipe UI rather than working with Intel on a standardized MeeGo with the handset UI.

I think the difference between Samsung and Nokia in general is both the dedication but also the simple fact that Sammie is working with top-notch hardware, something that I feel Nokia doesn't. It is obvious that Nokia didn't know how to treat their Linux platform seriously, they wasted a lot of time by first making Maemo a tablet only OS, when they finally integrated telephony support, they killed it with the N900 "step 5 out of 6" and then used a lot of time to create MeeGo Harmattan just to kill it again with the announcement that the original N9 was cancelled and the new N9 was the last device with the system.

Samsung doesn't do that kind of stupidities and I feel that the partnership with Intel is running well. Intel could have saved time by selecting Samsung from the beginning but on the other hand, the Galaxy S II was an important step that both meant a step forward in hardware and the reputation meaning that Sammie is stronger now and really established as a maker of highend hardware.

From that position, it is easier to integrate Tizen and leverage the reputation.

When it comes to MeeGo vs Tizen, my impression is that Tizen is basically a developed MeeGo. The MeeGo was simply the name of the Linux platform Intel created and developed together with Nokia until E(f)lop killed it.

What I feel Nokia ditched was rather the MeeGo compatible Maemo 6 Harmattan rather than the MeeGo (now renamed Tizen) that Intel developed and now continues to develop with Samsung.

Harmattan could have been successful for Nokia if they had released it properly but I have the impression that they have a troublesome relation with advanced devices since they kill them all. It seems like Nokia most of all wants to be some kind of massmarket company since they always kill good platforms and go for dumbed down ones targeted for simple users.

That is a main difference with Samsung that now focuses on the higher end of the market unlike Nokia where it has been a niche, not properly supported and promoted.

Samsung will get a much better result from Tizen than Nokia with WP 7. In fact, I think the Nokiasoft of today has to disappear since it means that Tizen is the obvious third ecosystem. With Nokia gone, failed because of WP 7, no other manufacturer will be interested in that platform. So Microsofts attempt to build an ecosystem based on Nokia will be a failure meaning that their market space is gone, open for Tizen.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 18:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Sammie is working with top-notch hardware, something that I feel Nokia doesn't.

Nokia's policy has always been to use the LEAST powerful hardware that would work. Because of that, all otherwise fantastic products were always seriously crippled by too slow CPU, or too little RAM, or some other thing intentionally restricted.

The 9210 Communicator, their FLAGSHIP and otherwise a CULT product, was released with..... 4 MB free RAM and.... 52 MHz CPU. Everyone else at that time was using much faster CPUs, even Nokia's own simple 7650 released later the same year had 104 MHz processor, i.e. twice faster. But wait a second.... next year Nokia released the 9210i Communicator with..... once again the 52 MHz processor and same RAM size (slightly increased only thanks to moving the Java runtime to ROM)... And it still didn't have GPRS or Bluetooth, even though the simple 7650 had it a year earlier.

3-4 years later, when the whole world was using 400 MHz processors in mobile devices, Nokia released the 9500, 9300, 7710 with.... 150 MHz CPU. And this time with GPRS, but without 3G.

And they continued to do such things during their ENTIRE history. Now they often use the N97 as an example of an failed product, but they never clearly admit WHY it wasn't successful. And it was first of all because of those 128 MB RAM they used in it, leaving less than 40 MB free for the user and causing that the most frequently seen message on that phone was "Out of memory".

It took SAMSUNG to release the Omnia HD with a 600 MHz CPU, 256 MB RAM, capacitive display, HD video recording, etc., or else it would probably take another year or two for Nokia to start offering such things on Symbian....

And then they moaned about losing the competition with iPhone...

AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 20:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I am certainly happy with Samsung taking this seriously since they have a very impressive device already with the Galaxy Note.

Both the performance and the quality is good and it takes an innovative approach by reinstating the stylus.

Regarding the N97: for me the biggest failures was a worse screen than the E90, less RAM available than the E90, a worse CPU than the E90.... the list goes on. In fact, it was simply a step backwards from what they offered TWO years before.

And now they continue, the Lumias are worse than older Nokia devices including the E90. From a functional point of view, an E90 or 9500/9300i are much more useable and if I were to choose between them and the Lumia, I take them without any second thought.

With Samsung, everything is different since their devices are true flagships and a new model is improved compared to the former one. The development of the Galaxy S to S II to S III has been very good.

I am sure that when they introduce Tizen, it will be with a spectacular product. The prototype is already impressive and could theoretically be sold but I guess we will see a quadcore monster when everything is ready.

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 23:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Regarding the N97: for me the biggest failures was a worse screen than the E90, less RAM available than the E90, a worse CPU than the E90.... the list goes on. In fact, it was simply a step backwards from what they offered TWO years before.

That's right. But the difference in RAM size was especially annoying. The E90 had almost 90 MB free RAM whereas the E97 (as you wrote, two years later) had less than 40 MB, i.e. 2,5 times less... And that's on a newer and more memory demanding OS version...

The problem with Nokia has always been that they think the Nokia brand alone can substitute / compensate for the lack of more powerful CPU, more RAM, bigger screen resolution, etc. In other words, they think that they can offer less than competitors and people will still get it, just because it's Nokia. And it even worked this way until some point, but surely not anymore.

Now they say that Symbian at some point stopped being competitive. But something tells me that it was first of all their ALWAYS UNDERPOWERED HARDWARE that stopped being competitive. Android went dual-core, now it's going quad-core, iOS went dual-core, and where at that time was Nokia with Symbian or MeeGo? Or, actually, where it STILL is if they still don't have ANY smartphone with even just Cortex-A9 onboard, let alone anything more powerful than that... Even a year ago when they launched the N9 everyone was disappointed that it still had single core Cortex-A8 (thanks God they at least used the 1 GHz version...). A year has passed since then and what? Still not even a TRACE of any Cortex-A9 phone from Nokia. What processor does the upcoming 808 PureView have? Single-core of course. As a matter of fact, they increased the clock speed to 1.3 GHz, but it's actually nothing special - they did the same thing via firmware update on the existing Symbian Belle phones. In other words, the 808 PureView comes in mid 2012 with THE SAME CPU as Symbian Belle phones from mid 2011... That's "progress" the Nokia way.

We can only imagine how much more popular Symbian would have been in the past 2-3 years, if e.g. the beautifully designed and built N8 or E7 had the Cortex A9 processor @ 1.2 GHz and WVGA screen instead of that pitiful nHD that they still use until now.

Nokia in its history has so many lost chances, ignored opportunities, fantastic products killed at birth, so much hard work of so many great engineers, programmers and designers totally wasted, that it really does not surprise anymore how they went from hero to zero in just a couple of years.

And now they're finishing themselves off by killing MeeGo, the LAST product they have that people still loved.

What a pathetic story.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mortenandersen, ajack

AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.May.2012 23:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The idea of using underpowered hardware has been symptomatic even for Sony Ericsson and we know the UIQ death out of it. The first time they released a powerful smartphone HW wise was with Vivaz and Xperia X1 but now, they are a bit behind again.

Nokia and underpowered hardware is a symptom I guess is created by their desire to be some kind of mass market brand. During the whole modern history of Nokia, I feel that they have been focused on design and brand rather than making really powerful devices. Simplicity has also been a part and I guess that's why they killed their advanced platforms. Some crazy manager thought that "people want something simple" and killed them off and on the same time also reasoned that "hardware doesn't matter" beside in "easy to grasp" areas like camera.

Then, as always, they blame something else for the failure. It is Symbian, it is Harmattan, it is iPhone etc that caused them to fail, never their own strategies. Strangely enough but Windows Phone seems NOT to fail them, though but I guess that's because E(f)lop has declared it to be a success, unfortunately disturbed by the N9 (he was forced to remove it completely so the poor customers don't out of mistake buys it instead of a Lumia).

In my opinion, Nokia fall away in 2009 when they failed to release a new Communicator and also killed the UIQ instead of quickly announce that it would be their new touchscreen platform.

The main reason for the failure of Nokia is their lack of vision and lack of flagship devices. The last true flagship was the E90 and it is FIVE years since it was introduced. Not even the E7 is clearly a step forward from the E90 but a step back.

The N950 could have been something but it should have used Maemo 5 or something similar.

For me, the underpowered hardware and worse screens has put me off completely. I would never consider a 640 x 360 screen now when I has a 1280 x 720 and before that 800 x 480.

The slow CPUs are another problem.

The Tizen prototype simply blows everything Nokia has made out of the water - and it is just a prototype.

The lack of dualcore CPUs etc creates other problems since powerful applications and games can't be developed.

If Nokia had continued with MeeGo Harmattan, I think that it could have made things worse compared to now with Samsung since the tradition of underpowered hardware had continued. In todays market where the flagships are really powerful, that strategy of Nokia would not work.

An N10 with dualcore CPU in 2012 when the competitors goes quadcore would certainly create problems. Now with Samsung, Tizen finally got the hardware it deserves and no one can use that as an anti-argument.

The only way to compete with Android is to offer equally powerful devices.

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 11.May.2012 01:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The idea of using underpowered hardware has been symptomatic even for Sony Ericsson and we know the UIQ death out of it.

Well.... UIQ's death was caused by something different than underpowered hardware.

With Sony Ericsson things looked a little bit different when it comes to underpowered hardware. They started with impressive specs - the very first UIQ device, the P800, had a 156 MHz CPU in 2002 -- that's when the 9210i Communicator from Nokia only had 52 MHz, i.e. 3x less... P800 also had 16 MB RAM (twice more than the 9210i) and VGA camera (the 9210i had an.... external camera, and that's only if you paid extra for such a "pack"). The P800 also had great touch screen and many other nice features, better than everyone else...

Unfortunately, then they almost stopped improving the specifications. All further UIQ2 phones still had 158 MHz CPUs, and then all UIQ3 phones until 2008 had 208 MHz CPUs...

They woke up only after switching to S60 5th Edition and Satio / Vivaz finally had proper hardware, with processors much faster than Nokia's (720 MHz), good cameras, a lot of RAM, etc.

But I doubt that it was underpowered hardware what killed the UIQ platform. I still remember how UIQ4 was almost ready, and looked really FANTASTIC. I was just packing my bags and heading to the airport to attend the UIQ conference in San Francisco when I was informed that the event was cancelled and UIQ was killed...

It was the time when Nokia was taking over the entire Symbian, and I am afraid that it was Nokia who (one way or another) forced Sony Ericsson to dump UIQ and switch to S60. It's no secret that Nokia owned certain components of Symbian without which Sony Ericsson couldn't further develop UIQ, anyway... And Nokia at that time REALLY wanted to promote S60 5th Edition and make it the only Symbian platform with Touch. UIQ was considered a competitor, so they killed it and forced SE to use their sh*tty S60...

Quote:

Simplicity has also been a part

Well, they probably thought so. But of course it didn't make any sense. The 52 MHz processor on the 9210 Communicator (instead of 156 MHz one like on the P800) or 4 MB free RAM (instead of 8 MB like on the P800) surely didn't make the 9210 "simpler", it only made it slower and seriously restricted its (otherwise great) functionality and multitasking.... But that's whole Nokia...

Quote:

The N950 could have been something but it should have used Maemo 5 or something similar.

With Harmattan onboard it is also fantastic. I use it all the time instead of the N9 which catches dust in the drawer (I don't even have that stupid microSIM for it). But so what, if they never released it commercially and only several hundred people can enjoy it... Another wasted opportunity.

Quote:

The lack of dualcore CPUs etc creates other problems since powerful applications and games can't be developed.

But Nokia apparently does not need powerful apps. Instead, they fill up the Ovi store with tons of RSS-based cr*p that makes it almost impossible to find real software among it. The last hit I found was an RSS feed of some stupid blog, sold at the Ovi store for.... 7 Euros.

Quote:

The only way to compete with Android is to offer equally powerful devices.

That's right.... And Nokia is the only one who apparently does not understand it. Not only on Symbian or MeeGo, but also on the Lumias. How do they plan to conquer the market with the single-core 1.4 GHz Lumia 900 when all their competitors switch from dual-cores to quad-cores? Good question. Only Eflop knows the answer.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.May.2012 16:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have now noticed that Tizen will be able to run Android apps, this is according to an article in the Swedish Mobil magazine.

To me, that is a good solution since it opens up the selection. Even if the developers creates native Tizen apps, it means that the platform has a decent offer from day 1 AND Android developers have a bigger market to reach since they got automatic Tizen compatibility.

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.May.2012 11:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I have now noticed that Tizen will be able to run Android apps

The Alien Dalvik website has been reactivated, so maybe that's it.

http://www.myriadgroup.com/software/android/myriad%20alien%20dalvik.as px

Quote:

To me, that is a good solution since it opens up the selection.

Good for users, but I'm not sure if it's good for developers. It won't attract too much developers to create good, native Tizen apps if hundreds of thousands of existing Android apps are available for it right from the start.

And IMO each platform needs its own "ecosystem" to properly expand and further develop.

So I've got a mixed feeling about that.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.May.2012 14:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If Samsung and Intel manages this properly and also employs the concept of "repackaging" Android apps (the article indicated a similar solution as the Playbook) where those apps are sold through the Tizen marketplace (Google Play will not be available), it could make sense.

A logical scenario is that they starts to offer a package where developers can submit their Android apps for Tizen for immediate selling and also start porting them to Tizen through the developer tools.

Since Android is a dominating platform, the idea of "jumpstarting" Tizen by offering a basic compatibility rather than entering the "no apps" problem is a good one. I don't think Intel and Samsung will promote this compatibility too much since Google Play won't be supported - for the user, the apps will be provided through the same marketplace as other Tizen ones.

Since Samsung offers a big Android portfolio and even their own app store (both for Bada and also Android called Samsung Apps), it makes sense to offer an easy path to get existing apps onboard.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.May.2012 15:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

If Samsung and Intel manages this properly and also employs the concept of "repackaging" Android apps (the article indicated a similar solution as the Playbook) where those apps are sold through the Tizen marketplace (Google Play will not be available), it could make sense

It doesn't change much from a native Tizen developer's perspective. In this format or another, it still means an OCEAN of existing applications. So who will be interested to develop native software for Tizen, if nearly everything is already done?

I am not questioning that it will be a great thing for users. But I very much doubt it will attract much developers to Tizen. Everyone will be busy just repackaging his Android apps to make them Tizen installable, and that's it...

And even in the future, Android developers who will also want to make their apps available on Tizen will most probably CONTINUE to write their applications in Android's Java so that they can write once and deploy on both, and will never learn any Tizen's native development language/platform - why would they do it if their Android app will work on Tizen, anyway.

This way Tizen will mostly remain an "Android compatible platform", and not a full featured, standalone, powerful operating system on its own.

I'm not sure if that's the reputation Tizen needs and if it can become a REALLY serious smartphone platform this way and one day compete with Android.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic