MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
microSDHC 16GB and 32GB Availability

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.Jan.2010 19:05    Post subject: microSDHC 16GB and 32GB Availability   Reply with quote   

Samsung has announced its 32 GB microSDHC card, see press release. Excerpt:
    SAMSUNG Announces 30nm-class, High-density NAND Flash for Mobile Devices
    Seoul, Korea - January 13, 2009 : Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced semiconductor technology solutions, today announced two high-density memory solutions for mobile devices. The new storage solutions - a 64-gigabyte (GB) moviNAND™ memory device and a 32GB micro secure digital (microSD) memory card - satisfy mobile handset designers' requirements for advanced compact high-density memory.

"Samsung's high-density memory solutions bring the storage capacity levels of computing systems to small, mobile devices," said Dong-Soo Jun, executive vice president, memory marketing, Samsung Electronics.

He added, "The 64GB embedded memory, moviNAND, and the 32GB microSD card each greatly expand the data storage density of mobile devices, meeting customers' memory requirements and ushering in a new era of mobile and IT device capacity growth."

The memory solutions are based on Samsung's advanced 32 gigabit (Gb) NAND flash. The 64GB moviNAND, which measures 1.4mm in height, consists of 16 30nm-class 32Gb MLC NAND chips and a controller. The 17-die stack was achieved by using 30-micron thick chips and advanced package technology. With the new 64GB solution, Samsung's proprietary embedded memory, moviNAND, is now available in 64GB, 32GB, 16GB, 8GB and 4GB densities.

The 32GB microSD card, developed this month, stacks eight 32Gb NAND components and a card controller. The industry's highest capacity, production-ready microSD card is enabled by the use of Samsung's advanced 30-nm class 32Gb NAND flash memory technology. Previously, the highest density microSD card in production had a 16GB capacity and was based on 40nm-class 16Gb NAND. The new 32GB card is 1mm-thick. The portion of the card that is inserted into a handset measures just 0.7 mm in height.

According to market research firm iSuppli, the global NAND flash memory market for 32GB and higher memory cards is forecast to be 530 million units in 2010 and reach 9.5 billion units by 2013 (in 16Gb equivalent units).

Samsung's new 64GB moviNAND has been in mass production from December 2009, while the 32GB microSD is now being sampled with OEMs, with mass production expected next month.
As discussed in the microSDHC 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB Availability thread on the Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators forum, SanDisk has had its 32 GB MicroSDHC card out in beta test for approximately a year now, but has not yet released the card commercially.

Since the N900 supports the microSDHC memory cards, the 32 GB cards should also work with the N900.

--
Bent Laursen

Last edited by BentL on Tuesday, 16.Feb.2010 14:02; edited 1 time in total
N900
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia N900

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Jan.2010 10:14    Post subject: No news yet?   Reply with quote   

No news about those cards yet? Can't wait to get my hands on one!!!

Regards, Henrik
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Jan.2010 11:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If Samsung expects mass production to start in February 2010, we will first see these cards in March in select markets. They will probably only be readily available 3 months later.

--
Bent Laursen
N900
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Nokia N900

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Jan.2010 19:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks for replying, Bent!

/N900
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16.Feb.2010 14:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Kingston has announced its 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 card, see press release. Excerpt:
    Kingston Digital Ships Speedy Class 10 MicroSDHC Card
    Large Capacity, Fast Performance a Perfect Match for Memory-Hungry Devices

Sunbury- on- Thanes-- February 15, 2010 -- Kingston Digital Europe Ltd, a subsidiary of Kingston Technology Corporation, the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the release of a Kingston 16GB microSDHC Class 10 card. The high-capacity card complies with the SD™ Association Specification 3.00 to meet Class 10 requirements. It allows users to easily transfer files between a mobile device and PC, with quick transfer rates and available either as a stand-alone card or with adapters.

“Host devices such as high-definition cameras and the latest smartphones are being designed to optimize their write performance which will take advantage of performance of the Class 10 card,” said Steve Hall, Product Development Manager of Flash, Kingston Technology. “Users will benefit from swifter copying and transferring of photos, music, videos and e-books when using a multi-format card reader such as the Kingston Media Reader or Kingston MobileLite G2 with a PC.”

Kingston Technology provides users with additional adapters meaning that the card can be slotted into compatible SD and miniSD devices. Inserting the card into the SD adapter turns it into a large-storage, speedy SDHC or miniSD card that can be used to capture continuous images or videos in digital cameras. Either adapter pack allows users to store all data on one card across multiple Class 10 device platforms.

The Kingston 16GB microSDHC Class 10 card is backed by a lifetime warranty, 24/7 tech support and legendary Kingston reliability. For more information visit www.kingston.com/europe
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Feb.2010 09:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

SanDisk has announced that its 64GB SDXC card is shipping, see press release. Excerpt:
    Sandisk ships its highest capacity SD Card ever
    SanDisk's Highest Capacity SD Card Offers Increased Storage, Ideal for Extended HD Video Recording

Milpitas, Calif., February 22, 2010 - SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), the global leader in flash memory cards, today announced that it has begun shipping the 64 gigabyte (GB)1 SanDisk Ultra SDXC™ card, the company's highest capacity SD™ card ever. With its 64GB capacity, up to 15MB/sec read speed2 and Class 4 speed rating, the new card is ideal for capturing and storing massive 1080p High-Definition video files and then transferring them quickly to a computer.

SDXC cards are based on the new SD 3.0 specification, which makes it possible to manufacture cards with storage capacity up to 2 terabytes (TB)3. The SDXC card's exFAT file structure helps consumers record long-duration HD videos. The 64GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC card can store more than eight hours of such video with recording speed of 9 Mbps (HD standard)*.

"SDXC is the successor to the popular SDHC card format," said Susan Park, director, retail product marketing, SanDisk. "The 64GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC card delivers the speed and capacity consumers need for extended HD video recording and improved rapid shooting of still images. The card is an ideal complement for recently-announced SDXC-compatible cameras and camcorders."

Because the SD 3.0 specification was recently released, only a handful of devices may be immediately available that support SDXC cards. However, the pace of new camera model introduction supporting the SDXC format is accelerating. Canon announced at CES that all of its new VIXIA camcorder models and PowerShot cameras are compatible with SDXC cards. Widespread adoption of SDXC is expected to occur across a range of consumer electronic products including HDTVs, Blu-ray recorders/players, camcorders, cameras, mobile phones, navigation systems and computers. SanDisk ImageMate memory card readers are compatible with SDXC cards if the connected PC uses an operating system that supports exFAT.

The 64GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC card comes with a lifetime limited warranty**. The card is available immediately at www.sandisk.com via the U.S. e-commerce site with a price of $349.99, and will be available at SanDisk locations around the world soon after.
This is the first card using the SDXC format. A microSDXC version should also be possible in the not so distant future for use in future mobile phones.

--
Bent Laursen
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.Feb.2010 21:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

keep in mind that this sdxc card is a standard sized sd card!! not micro.

Smile
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Mar.2010 10:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

SanDisk has announced its 32GB microSDHC card, see press release. Excerpt:
    SANDISK FIRST TO SHIP 32 GIGABYTE MICROSDHC CARD
    Consumers Unleash the Potential of Smartphones With Highest-Capacity Memory Card for Mobile Phones

Milpitas, Calif., March 22, 2010 - SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), the global leader in flash memory cards, today announced that it will begin shipping the world's highest-capacity removable memory card for mobile phones - the 32 gigabyte (GB)1 SanDisk microSDHC™ card. The new microSDHC card offers consumers an unprecedented level of freedom and flexibility in how they store, send and enjoy digital content.

"With the large volume of photos, videos and music that consumers create and carry around, a high-capacity memory card is a must-have component of today's smartphone," said Sanjay Mehrotra, president and chief operating officer, SanDisk. "This is the highest-capacity card of its type, and SanDisk is pleased to be the first to ship such an advanced product. This marks yet another important first in our innovative history in the flash memory industry."

Smartphones have evolved far beyond the simple phone call. They serve as mobile offices, music players, movie theaters, cameras, video recorders, GPS devices and gateways to the mobile Internet. The highly-versatile 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card delivers immediate memory expansion that lets consumers enjoy the storage-intensive features of their advanced handsets. For example, the 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card can store enough music to outlast 35 round-trip flights between San Francisco and New York before repeating a single song.

The 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card is available starting Tuesday, 3/23/10 on SanDisk.com U.S. and European e-commerce sites, with worldwide retail availability to follow next month. The new card comes with a 5 year limited warranty and carries a suggested retail price of $199.99.

The 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card also lets mobile network operators (MNO) and handset manufacturers (OEMs) equip their subscribers with enough storage to match the industry's leading smartphones. By bundling SanDisk's new card with the phone, consumers get high-capacity mobile storage in a convenient form factor. SanDisk microSDHC cards are also available in 2, 4, 8 and 16GB capacities and are shipping today in volume.

SanDisk is mass producing the new cards based on its industry-leading, third-generation 32nm X3 (3-bit-per-cell) technology, which makes a 32GB capacity possible in such a small form factor. The successful development and wide distribution of many X3-based products through OEM and retail channels in recent years demonstrates both the technology's maturity and SanDisk's ability to quickly bring it to market.

SanDisk microSDHC cards adhere to the stringent quality expectations of top-tier handset manufacturers and MNOs, and SanDisk is taking orders now. To meet the specific needs of different OEM customers, the 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card is available in a variety of card and adapter configurations as well as with the option to pre-load the card with custom software.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Jul.2010 17:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia has released its own branded 32 GB microSDHC memory card, the Nokia 32 GB microSDHC Card MU-45. The N900 is listed as compatible.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 07.Sep.2010 15:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Toshiba has announced the world's fastest microSDHC cards, see press release. Excerpt:
    Toshiba to Launch the World’s Fastest SDHC Memory Card
    New SDHC UHS-I Cards are First to Achieve Read/Write Speeds up to 95MB/s and 80MB/s
    New microSDHC UHS-I Cards are First to Achieve Read/Write speeds of 40MB/s and 20MB/s

TOKYO and IRVINE, Calif., September 2, 2010 — Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. and its parent company Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502), a leading innovator in NAND flash memory technologies and solutions, today announced the launch of 8GB (gigabyte) 16GB and 32GB SDHC UHS-I cards compliant with the SD Memory Card Standard Ver. 3.0 (SD 3.0), UHS104. These new SD cards offer the world’s fastest SDHC data read and write speeds. Toshiba also extended its industry leadership in memory card solutions by unveiling the world’s first 4GB, 8GB and 16GB microSDHC UHS-I cards compliant with (SD 3.0), UHS50.

Mass production of the new SDHC UHS-I cards and sample shipments of the new microSDHC UHS-I cards will start this November.

The new SDHC UHS-I Memory Cards are the world’s first memory cards compliant with SD 3.0, UHS104. With a maximum read speed of 95MB per second, and a write speed of 80MB per second, the products introduce a new level of ultra-fast read and write speeds to NAND flash based memory cards.

Toshiba’s new microSDHC UHS-I cards are the world’s first microSDHC memory cards compliant with SD 3.0, UHS50. They, too, offer the world’s fastest read and write speeds in their class: a maximum read speed of 40MB per second and a write speed of 20MB per second.

The specifications of the new cards combine increased data capacity with the fast data transfer rates essential for applications such as high speed continuous shooting of high resolution digital still cameras, video, and high speed transfers of HD content.

The high performance specifications announced by Toshiba will enable developers to use HD content in future generations of consumer products. By further enhancing the performance of its SD Memory Card line-up, Toshiba continues to lead the NAND flash memory market in removable card storage.

The expanded new card series will be featured at IFA 2010, in Berlin, Germany from September 3, and PHOTOKINA 2010, in Koln, Germany from September 21.
In SD mode, these cards in capacities 4MB, 8MB and 16MB are class 10 cards.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 09.Sep.2010 14:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Team Group has announced a 32 GB microSDHC Class 2 memory card, see press release. Excerpt:
    The Infinite Expandability of Mobile Devices Team launches the smart 32GB Class2 microSDHC
    Due to the ever-increasing popularity in the market for smart phones and tablet PCs, consumers’ demand for high capacity memory cards has also incessantly increased. The mobile phone software marketplace for the Windows Phone and Android series is abundant in games and downloadable user applications, which in turn has resulted in the constant shortage for memory storage in consumer’s smart phones. In order to fulfill consumer’s needs, Team officially launches the ultrahigh capacity 32GB Class2 microSDHC memory cards for consumers to have great fun with their smartphones and ease all worries about storage for photography and filming.

In addition to ultrahigh capacity, the Team microSDHC Class2 32GB memory card integrates the latest and the most reliable technologies. Apart from the standard hardware overwrite protection switch, it is also equipped with ECC (error-correcting code) to ensure secure data storage. The original genuine extra long-life chip is able to endure frequent mass data storage with programmable firmware, making upgrades for the memory card possible as you would for mobile phones, and making it the best choice and perfect companion for mobile phone users.

Team Group Inc. is a leading manufacturer of memory storage products and provides ultimate solutions to satisfy consumer needs for storing and sharing media and data. Team Group offers a lifetime warranty and repair/replacement services on all Team memory cards. For further product information, please visit the Team Group website at www.teamgroup.com.tw.

--
Bent Laursen
s.khiwani84
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N 900

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Sep.2010 09:19    Post subject: How one can use MicroSD card in N900   Reply with quote   

Does Nokia n900 device will be enhanced with 32 GB micro SD card instead of 16GB apart from internal memory of 32 GB...???

And can any one please tell me how can i use my external memory device to use for installing program and using Nitdroid on MicroSD Card.

Regards

Sahil Khiwani
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Sep.2010 09:24    Post subject: Re: How one can use MicroSD card in N900   Reply with quote   

s.khiwani84 wrote:
Does Nokia n900 device will be enhanced with 32 GB micro SD card instead of 16GB apart from internal memory of 32 GB...???

The N900 supports all microSDHC cards, including up to the 32GB cards. This in addition to the internal 32 GB memory.

s.khiwani84 wrote:
And can any one please tell me how can i use my external memory device to use for installing program and using Nitdroid on MicroSD Card.

Please post this in the n900 & NITDroid thread.

--
Bent Laursen
s.khiwani84
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N 900

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Sep.2010 09:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks again Bent for such a quick response.. It's really appreciate man.

Thanks once again..
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.Sep.2010 13:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

StorageReview.com has a review of 8 GB and 16 GB microSDHC cards from SanDisk and Kingston, see:

http://www.storagereview.com/sandisk_16gb_microsdhc_review

The article has tested the cards for different usage patterns.

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic