MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Stellarium N9 - planetarium software for Nokia N9

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marko_steln9
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
24 in 11 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.Dec.2012 20:45    Post subject: Stellarium N9 - planetarium software for Nokia N9   Reply with quote   

Hello,

I have made a port of Stellarium (desktop version 0.11.4). I have added some touch-UI specific features. It is still very much a work in progress, but should be quite useful already. I hope you enjoy it and I am looking forward to your feedback.

Note that, there is a Stellarium app in Nokia store for N9. StellariumN9 is not in any way associated with this app.

Cheers,
Marko

---

StellariumN9 is a free open source planetarium software for Nokia N9 that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars. It is a port of the awesome Stellarium (version 0.11.4).

N9 Specific Features
- Redesigned graphical user interface using native QML components.
- Free look based on magnetometer/accelerometer sensors.
- Pinch zoom.
- Changed default settings, small GFX optimizations for slower hardware (extinction is too CPU heavy, decreased atmosphere rendering sky resolution).

Known Issues
- Some parts of GUI are not implemented yet
- No plugins, scripting

OVI Store (paid app): http://store.ovi.com/content/341175
DEBs and sources: http://thelarge.org/stellarium-n9

Version 0.3.6:
- now honors sky_locale / app_locale settings in ~/.stellarium-n9/config.ini (no GUI yet).

Version 0.3.5:
- HUD tweaks, night mode
- some bugfixes

27.12.2012 update
Latest version 0.3.3

Last edited by marko_steln9 on Thursday, 25.Jul.2013 08:52; edited 4 times in total

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz, alexpain, BentL, naytsyrhc, nailwood

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.Dec.2012 22:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great news, Marko, thanks for sharing! And very well done, too. It's really fantastic that Harmattan finally got a proper Stellarium port with magnetometer/accelerometer support and 'live view'. Keep up the good work!

I will add your Stellarium port to our N9 Software Catalog later today.
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.Dec.2012 22:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great and very educational app. It looks awesome in the N9. I will testing it a bit more. Keep up the good work.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 00:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nice work. I wonder: would it be possible to match the versioning more closely to upstream? I am not sure whether apt support it, but 0.11.4.0.3.1 would be ideal, 0.114.x could also work. I guess a mentioning of upstream version in about section would also do the trick.

Is it possible to make the location persistent? I get Ljublana, Slovenia by default every time I open the application and have to select my location again. But it's very nice that the GUI clearly tells me what the location is.

Nice GUI.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 04:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On my N950 it worked only the first time, now it quits right after showing the title screen. I remember that I saved some settings, so maybe that's the problem. If I can locate the settings file, I'll try to delete it and see if it does the job. If not, I'll try to reinstall the application.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 05:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

OK, deleting /home/user/.stellarium-n9/config.ini makes the app work again.... until I select the "Enable free view" option and save the settings. After that the application cannot be launched anymore (quits on the title screen) and the config.ini file has to be deleted again.

Another problem is that something's taking more time than expected when launching the application which results in messages "Stellarium-N9 is not responding. Close the application?", sometimes even shown multiple times before the application finishes loading.

Also, as Ketlik wrote, location settings are not stored. The application always defaults to Ljubljana.

Hope it helps.

P.S. I've just added the app to our Software Catalog and Downloads. I linked to the file on your server as it is quite huge (51 MB ).
marko_steln9
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
24 in 11 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 10:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

* Default locations: I'll take a look into that. I wonder how Ljubljana got there in the first place, I must have set it in the defaults sometime during the testing. Smile

* Not responding at launch: I think this problem is related to sensors starting too early and then flooding the sockets. I believe I have it fixed in the upcoming version 0.3.2, however, I still need more testing, as the problem was rather infrequent and sporadic on my device.

* Versioning: I thought about that, but 0.11.4.0.3.1 seems a bit verbose, also QtCreator only has three numbers available for the deb packages. There are really many changes under the hood that make it quite different from desktop 0.11.4, so I decided in favour of a completely different numbering scheme. However, I do agree, that it would be nice to somewhere display the version it was derived from.

* Crashes after enabling free look. This one has me puzzled. Maybe it is something N950 specific. Could you perhaps try launching the app from the terminal and then posting the last few lines after the crash? Also, instead of deleting the whole config file, you could locate freelook line in the config file and try setting that to false/true or completely removing the line. You can use vi from the terminal to do that, if you feel comfortable in vi, otherwise I am not sure what text editors are available to do that.

* 0.3.2 version that I am working on also should have some fixes for the incorrect swipe/orientation behaviour.
marko_steln9
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
24 in 11 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 10:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
OK, deleting /home/user/.stellarium-n9/config.ini makes the app work again.... until I select the "Enable free view" option and save the settings. After that the application cannot be launched anymore (quits on the title screen) and the config.ini file has to be deleted again.

Michal, could you please post the config file that causes the crash?
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 11:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well done!

Thank you very much for greating an UI for N9 for Stellarium. Really awesome app. Though I have discovered same issues as previous posters namely:

-app not responding question on start-up
-always Ljubljana as location on start-up (I also have problems setting a new location. I can only set it by searching for a location, nothing happens if I click on e.g. country or city)
-after storing settings (enabled free-look as well), app does not start anymore (as Michal posted already). I have an N9 though.

Anyway. Besides that: REALLY REALLY great and thanks for your effort.

EDIT: attached you'll find my config file that causes the crash

Last edited by naytsyrhc on Friday, 14.Dec.2012 11:15; edited 2 times in total
marko_steln9
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
24 in 11 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 11:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
Well done!

-after storing settings (enabled free-look as well), app does not start anymore (as Michal posted already). I have an N9 though.

Does it start after saving settings if you don't enable free-look?
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 11:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Does it start after saving settings if you don't enable free-look?

Acknowledged. Actually I edited the config.ini file (see attached file in previous post) and just set the setting free_look to false and app starts with all other settings (panorama, etc.) correctly (except location though).
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 16:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Versioning: I thought about that, but 0.11.4.0.3.1 seems a bit verbose, also QtCreator only has three numbers available for the deb packages

I didn't realize stellarium was qt only. I thought it required the advantages of scratchbox. I won't say google is a good example, but my installed version of chrome is currently: google-chrome-24.0.1312.40_beta172509. On my debian install it's 23.0.1271.64-r165188. That's what I call verbose. I couldn't really find versioning-support in qt-creator though, but I sucessfully built one of my apps with this version number: 0.0.1.0.1.0.1 by changing "other files/qtc_packaging/debian/changelog"

The best solution is probably writing "Based on Stellarium 0.11.4" in about-section though.
Quote:

Not responding at launch: I think this problem is related to sensors starting too early and then flooding the sockets. I believe I have it fixed in the upcoming version 0.3.2, however, I still need more testing, as the problem was rather infrequent and sporadic on my device.

I thought it was underpowered hardware. The kontact suite also does that a lot. I think any application requiring a lot of CPU time to initialize does that.

Buggy graphics-drivers can also do that, but I don't think that is the case here as it only happens in the initialization-phase.
marko_steln9
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
24 in 11 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Dec.2012 16:47    Post subject: 0.3.2   Reply with quote   

I uploaded 0.3.2. It should fix some of the issues addressed around here.

* "Not responding" as startup should be fixed; not completely sure, it doesn't happen here anymore.
* Some changes to free look/sensors were made that will hopefully help those of you who experienced crashes when saving settings with free-look on.
* Location should be saved properly along with all the other settings.
* Upstream version number added to about page. Though, when I think again, as suggested by Ketilk, I will probably change that to "Based on..." for the next release.

I'd very much like to hear, if there are still issues with crashing after saving settings.
Cheers, Marko
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 15.Dec.2012 01:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well done. I Can confirm that above issues are fixed in current version. Thanks a lot.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 15.Dec.2012 01:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The new version seems to work perfectly, thank you Marko!

Updated in our Downloads, and announced on the home page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic