MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
DCMA Craziness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Jan.2013 07:29    Post subject: DCMA Craziness   Reply with quote   

Gotta love the way lawmakers work in the USA. Not sure if this applies to the rest of the world but apparently it's no longer legal to request a carrier to unlock your phone.

Unlocking Your Phone Is Illegal Starting Tomorrow

Quote:

Unlocking phones without the express consent of the carrier who locked them became illegal thanks to edits to DMCA exemptions back in October, but it's only now that the 90-day grace period is running out. Locked phones purchased in the 90 days after the ruling are still game to be unlocked, but from here on out, for an unlocked phone to be legitimate, it'll have to have been bought that way or come with a permission slip from your carrier.

Source:
http://gizmodo.com/5978982/unlocking-your-phone-is-illegal-starting-to morrow

How this even pertains to the DCMA (ill-fitting law created to try to reign in digital copyright violations) is beyond me.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Jan.2013 23:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think it is time for US consumers to use some consumer power.

Rather than buying the insanely priced subsidized phones, buy an unlocked imported one instead and put it on a prepaid carrier like Straight Talk. The whole current model of AT&T, Sprint and Verizon is a rip off and the best way to change things is by being a critical consumer and buy something else.

I have my N7100 on Straight Talk and can only laugh at the locked down, bloated versions sold by the US main carriers.

I am not surprised that they work hard against unlocking since this is a business against the consumers. On the other hand, as long as the consumers buy their handsets, they will continue.

I would say that the mobile market is the weakest point of the US. It is really behind the curve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved