MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish OS SDK now available

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Feb.2013 20:33    Post subject: Sailfish OS SDK now available   Reply with quote   

As promised, Jolla has just released the SDK (Software Development Kit) for its upcoming Sailfish OS. The SDK is currently available for Linux (in 32- and 64-bit versions), with the Windows and Mac OS X versions coming soon. Visit the just updated SailfishOS.org website to get the SDK and to check the guidues about gestures, user interactions, the UI framework and more.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: pvanbeek, naytsyrhc

Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Feb.2013 22:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think it's refreshing that the linux support comes first for once. It can easily and freely be installed in a virtual machine for those not using linux on a daily basis. I will download and test. I did install nemo sdk earlier, but it's nice with automatic installation. The nemo SDK required more effort.

Both depends on Virtualbox for easy emulated testing. Be aware that the sailfish emulator and sailfish sdk build machine are two different VMs. Just answer yes when the SDK asks you to.

You had to compile qt-creator yourself with nemo SDK, but here everything comes precompiled.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.Feb.2013 18:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Don't know it this is representative or objective, but
this article about installing the SDK looks promising:
http://www.akikoskinen.info/first-contact-with-sailfish-sdk/

(Found via jolla hopage / twitter feed...)

Not saying anythind about the actual programming, but installation and first impressions seem quite usable.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.Feb.2013 21:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I can say that Jolla SDK's qt-creator saves the configuration files in the MerProject prefix, upstream qtcreator from qt-project with the QtProject prefix and Nokia SDK's qt-creator in Nokia. On linux they these prefixes reside in $HOME/.config/.

NokiaQtSDK was just as easy. Jolla SDKcurrently officially support
Quote:

• Ubuntu 12.10
• Fedora 18

I use a different distribution and have some trouble, but I hope to figure that out soon.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Feb.2013 10:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I can that installation is very easy and straight forward. If you have VirtualBox installed it's just running the sdk installer...

I wasn't able to start the example application yet. If I try, it just seems to do nothing...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Feb.2013 19:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Installation of the SDK is very simple. All you have to do is install VirtualBox first, and then just launch the SDK installer.

Qtcreator works fine. It contains help for all new Sailfish-specific Silica components.

There is a problem in communication between the Mer VM and the Emulator VM, and also a problem with the Emulator display getting blank every now and then. If emulator's display gets black it can be activated by pressing Host key (right Ctrl by default) + H. The problem with Mer-Emulator communication (timeout errors - no response) can be solved by pressing right-Ctrl + F2 in the emulator (which opens the console) and logging in as root/nemo and then typing echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf and then pressing right-Ctrl + F1 to go back to Sailfish UI

The new Silica components are really nice!

Porting applications from Harmattan to Jolla is even quicker than to Symbian. The "core" QML code does not need ANY modifications as actually almost everything remains unchanged. Qt Mobility is supported and unchanged, too.

What needs some work when porting apps from Harmattan to Jolla is the lack of Nokia's Qt Quick Components on Sailfish, which means that some things like e.g. ButtonRow or Tumbler or InfoBanner are missing and either need to be replaced with their Silica equivalents, or if an equivalent is missing in Silica then they need to be made differently.

It took me less than ONE HOUR to port SunCalc from Harmattan to Sailfish, with the only thing remaining to do being to change some dialogs on the Settings page, due to missing Tumbler (which I use on Harmattan for selecting longitude/latitude by the user) and replacing (missing in Silica) ButtonRow with individual Buttons.

P.S. I don't know what screen resolution the upcoming Jolla phones are going to have but the emulator is 854x480, i.e. just like the N9. Of course, this makes porting apps from Harmattan even easier as no graphic elements need to be resized.
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Mar.2013 23:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My desktop has a spare internal hard disk...Now if only I could remember how to dual boot my desktop PC I could install a Linux distro and the SDK...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 08.Mar.2013 00:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

pvanbeek wrote:
My desktop has a spare internal hard disk...Now if only I could remember how to dual boot my desktop PC I could install a Linux distro and the SDK...

Linux install is very easy. I recommend ubuntu 12.10 because it's officially supported from sailfish SDK and easy Fedora or other unsupported distros might also work, but it could potentially be more difficult. If you ensure that your harddrive have free unpartitioned disk space the installer will detect it automatically. If it's prepartitioned you will have to know which partition is which in order to delete the correct one. If you want pre-partitioned you might want to note the amount of disk space(in order to distinquish it from other partitions), or set a label on it. Both NTFS and fat support labels(the two common windows partition types). Linux should use ext3/ext4 or the installer's default if you have no preferences yourself.

Windows 7 also support shrinking of it's own NTFS partitions while it runs from it. I don't know how safe it is, but I did it successfully when I bought my laptop.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: pvanbeek

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 08.Mar.2013 04:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

In case of Ubuntu you don't even have to repartition your drive or do any changes in the existing file system.

Ubuntu 12.10 has a Windows installer which installs Ubuntu in a virtual disk (a file emulating a hard disk) on an existing partition (any NTFS or FAT partition with enough space).... All you have to do is to download and run Ubuntu Windows installer from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

and when asked choose an existing partition to create the virtual Ubuntu disk on. All files on that partition remain intact, it can even be the system partition of Windows... The installer lets you choose how much space you want the Ubuntu installation to take. Then it simply creates the file, installs Ubuntu in it and modifies the standard Windows boot manager by adding an "Ubuntu" option to it (Windows remains the default system to boot if you don't select Ubuntu manually in the boot manager).

If you then want to remove Ubuntu, all you need to do is to uninstall it from Windows - it'll vanish without a trace within half a minute.

This kind of installation has many benefits: it does not modify the existing Windows installation or partition table in any way, it uses Windows' standard boot manager without replacing it with any other, it is 100% safe for the already installed operating systems, it can be removed at any time without affecting other systems, making a backup of the Ubuntu installation is as easy as simply making a copy of the virtual disk file, and so on.

On desktop I have a normal Ubuntu installation (on its own hard disk) but on laptop for a long time I've been using the above described Windows installation and it's been working just perfectly. Maybe disk performance of such a virtual disk is slightly lower than normally but it's hardly noticable.

I recommend you to try this kind of installation, even just to get familiar with Ubuntu and Sailfish OS SDK. Then you can decide if it works OK for you or if you'd prefer to repartition your drive and install it in its own partition.

P.S. Please note that it's NOT a system running in a virtual machine like e.g. VirtualBox or VMplayer. It's a NORMAL system booting and running on its own and fully utilizing your hardware and providing maximum performance. The only difference is that it is stored in a virtual hard disk file rather than dedicated partition.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: pvanbeek

pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Friday, 08.Mar.2013 21:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Ubuntu 12.10 has a Windows installer which installs Ubuntu in a virtual disk (a file emulating a hard disk) on an existing partition (any NTFS or FAT partition with enough space).... All you have to do is to download and run Ubuntu Windows installer from here:

Great tip - installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my spare hard disk from within windows. Only performance degradation I've noticed is when reading and writing large amounts of data - I guess this is due to using the virtual disk file. So the Sailfish SDK took a while (10-15 mins) to install - now to create my first app!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 06.Apr.2013 07:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

In addition to the Linux build released in February, Sailfish OS SDK is now available for Windows and OS X as well.

http://sailfishos.org/
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 01.Aug.2013 22:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Copied and pasted from maillinglist: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2013-August/000502.html
Quote:

First of all, thank you very much for waiting - and now here is the SailfishOS
SDK Alpha-Qt5 update supporting Qt5, QtQuick2 and Wayland!

In this release we roll out a SailfishOS SDK that works like it's predecessor but supports Qt5 and QtQuick, with it's graphics pipeline switched from X11 to Wayland.

Not only that but we've added update support so we can now roll out improvements - keep an eye on the Updates page in the Control Centre and watch out for QtCreator updates too.

Don't forget we develop lots of things in the open - you're welcome to join in.

So, point your browsers to https://www.sailfishos.org and ride the wave, you'll love it!

With best regards, David & Jarko

They have finaly released a new alpha SDK building upon Qt5 and wayland. It comes with Qt-5.1.0(or possibly a late prerelease of Qt5.1).

They have made a page called porting from harmattan. They even announce 16:9 resolution on the screen and say that you should not hardcode any specific values. They also say that there will be no AEGIS-like manifests-

The following users say THANKS! for this post: naytsyrhc

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Aug.2013 06:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Finally. Downloading.

But if they still don't give the exact screen resolution, I assume that the emulator still does not support it, and thus I still won't be able to see my apps running in the emulator as they would look on the actual phone?

Quote:

They even announce 16:9 resolution on the screen and say that you should not hardcode any specific values.

It's easy to say so, but it is sometimes very difficult to avoid using fixed values. Besides, as I wrote, if you use bitmap graphics in your applications then you must know the resolution and create bitmap images for THAT SPECIFIC resolution, or else it'd look really awful if just rescaled automatically. Not everything can be vectorized...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Aug.2013 17:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Unfortunately, the emulator still uses 852x480 px resolution, so it's not even 16:9.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Aug.2013 21:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Finally. Downloading.

It's easy to say so, but it is sometimes very difficult to avoid using fixed values. Besides, as I wrote, if you use bitmap graphics in your applications then you must know the resolution and create bitmap images for THAT SPECIFIC resolution, or else it'd look really awful if just rescaled automatically. Not everything can be vectorized...

Sure, butmap is difficult, but where possible you should rather use relations to the parent or something. You can wait with the bitmaps and just use placeholder graphics in the meantime. Or just wait until you know what you need.

This is three buttons filling up the width of the parent object from my current project, but I am sure you knew how to do this already:
Code:

Row{
                width: parent.width
                Button {
                    x: Theme.paddingLarge
                    width: parent.width / 3
                    text: "Start"
                }
                Button {
                    text: "Stop"
                }
                Button {
                    text: "Save"
                }

}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic