MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish OS SDK now available

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Aug.2013 22:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Of course, I am well aware that I can use sizes relative to parent (e.g. the page). And of course I do it wherever/whenever possible.

But whenever != always.

I gave you an example of e.g. the BB10 platform where the difference between screen sizes and proportions of e.g. the Z10 (1280x768) and the Q10 (720x720) actually cancels the advantage of using any relative properties, as the UI has to be almost fully redesigned, anyway. So, in general, it only makes sense for the same (or similar) proportions.

And of course, I can wait with the bitmaps (well, not really "can", but apparently "have to"...). It's just that it means a THIRD stage of porting my applications (first several months ago to Qt4/WVGA, now to Qt5/QtQuick2, and then the bitmaps when the screen resolution is finally known). And I would very much prefer to use my limited time more efficiently than that - just sit and do all the work in one go.

Anyway, this new SDK is a huge progress and I really appreciate that it has been released. At least everything is now clear when it comes to Qt/QtQuick versions and one can write apps in the PROPER code. Starting from now, at least unaware people won't be wasting their time on making apps in Qt4/QtQuick 1.0 only to have to port them to Qt5/QtQuick 2.0.

But the more surprising it is that the screen resolution - actually the LAST missing bit - still remains unknown. Just that one more thing and making apps for Sailfish OS would be FULLY enabled.

And even if the screen resolution remains unknown, IMO the emulator should have been changed to work in 720p resolution, which would at least provide the proper screen proportions. Even if screen resolution then turns out to be e.g. the 1080p, proportionally resizing the content would be much easier and quicker.

---

Anyway, I see that I am the only person on this planet who has a different opinion about these things. Everyone else is happy. So I think it makes no sense to further discuss it as it won't have any effect, anyway.

My only intention was that developing apps for Jolla becomes possible ASAP, so that simply there are as many native applications for the platform on its start as only time permits. But as no one else cares about it, I can just accept it and shut up. Actually, I can make almost any application I may need myself, so why worry.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Saturday, 03.Aug.2013 12:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Of course, I am well aware that I can use sizes relative to parent (e.g. the page). And of course I do it wherever/whenever possible.

But whenever != always.

I gave you an example of e.g. the BB10 platform where the difference between screen sizes and proportions of e.g. the Z10 (1280x768) and the Q10 (720x720) actually cancels the advantage of using any relative properties, as the UI has to be almost fully redesigned, anyway. So, in general, it only makes sense for the same (or similar) proportions.

852x480 is pretty close to 16:9 I think. If I divide both numbers by 53 I get: 16,075 x 9,057. It is logical that a square displays does not conform with either landscape or portrait GUIs. It needs something completely different. The virtual keyboard often takes half the screen so for applications that use keyboards extensively I think it doesn't matter much. For those that have the primary use case outside with the virtual keyboard deactivated it's completely different.

I understand very well that some times the easy to resize qml will have to take a larger or smaller percentage of the width and/or height compared to the bitmaps themselves.

Quote:

Anyway, I see that I am the only person on this planet who has a different opinion about these things. Everyone else is happy. So I think it makes no sense to further discuss it as it won't have any effect, anyway.

My only intention was that developing apps for Jolla becomes possible ASAP, so that simply there are as many native applications for the platform on its start as only time permits. But as no one else cares about it, I can just accept it and shut up. Actually, I can make almost any application I may need myself, so why worry.

You could raise your concerns on IRC or in the maillinglist. I think those places are most likely to get answers in a timidly manner. I got responses from four persons within a day on the maillinglist after a question about the Qt-versioning. They also said that we can expect new updates more often than 1-2 a year. I believe it's more work migrating from xorg to wayland and qt4 to qt5 than there is to migrate to newer versions of the software they already have migrated to,.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 03.Aug.2013 15:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

852x480 is pretty close to 16:9 I think.

Of course. But why do not make it exactly 16:9 and thus make developer's work perfectly convenient. If something can be done, and make things easier, WHY NOT DO IT? As I said, the resolution is actually the LAST missing bit to FULLY enable NORMAL development for Sailfish OS. If Sailfish OS UI is scalable, changing the emulator resolution should not be more difficult than modifying a pair of values in a config file. So, once again, why not do it? It really isn't something unusual (on the contrary, I think it is normal and obvious) to expect that the emulator has the same resolution (or at least proportions) as the device it emulates.

Quote:

They also said that we can expect new updates more often than 1-2 a year. I believe it's more work migrating from xorg to wayland and qt4 to qt5 than there is to migrate to newer versions of the software they already have migrated to,.

As I said, if the Sailfish OS UI is properly scalable, I don't think that changing the screen resolution in the emulator needs more than modifying two values (width and height) in a config file - the rest should resize itself to it automatically. So I'm really not expecting too much - not more than what is expected from my applications (i.e. that they also fully adjust themselves to different screen sizes).

It's just that I see that in general opinion expecting ANYTHING is considered inappropriate. As Kleuter wrote: "it's their business, not mine".
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 03.Aug.2013 15:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

As I said, if the Sailfish OS UI is properly scalable, I don't think that changing the screen resolution in the emulator needs more than modifying two values (width and height) in a config file - the rest should resize itself to it automatically. So I'm really not expecting too much - not more than what is expected from my applications (i.e. that they also fully adjust themselves to different screen sizes).

I have been trying to look for the config files that is relevant, but I just don't know if they exist outside the source code on one of the applications, but I just don't know.I will grep through the whole VM and see if I find any files with 852 in it. I will avoid the binary files at the first try.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 03.Aug.2013 15:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I was going to do the same thing. Please let me know if you find anything...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 03.Aug.2013 21:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think there is something with the kernel config at boot-time. The linux kernel boot with the parameter video=vesafb:mtrr:3 vga=864. Too me it looks like the virtual graphics adapter does some work there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Modes_defined_by_VE SA. I tried feeding the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf with another vga-value, but that stopped wayland from working.

PS: It looks to me like it's 854 we should be looking for and not 852. That is consistant with wikipedia and the N9-resolution. If I take a screenshot from virtualbox with default setting that is resolution of that screenshot. I don't know who of us mixed it up, is very likely to be me, but it looks like the other one trusted it instead of checking.

I managed to switch it to 1024x768x24 mode, but now I can't start wayland. It obviously has multiple configurations that have to work together. I don' know where that configuration is, if it's in the qml files or if it's some other place.

But It wasn't 4/3 resolution I wanted. I also managed to get console only 1280x1024, but 5/4 was not what I was looking for either.

I think I need a different approach if I want something other than this(It was originally formatted with three columns, but the forum software does not allow that and I didn't want to upload to a pastebin or upload the screenshot:
Code:
Mode       Resolution    Type
0     F00  80x25         VGA
3     F03  80x28         VGA
6     F07  80x60         VGA
9     303  800x600x8     VESA
c     30D  320x200x15    VESA
f     310  640x480x15    VESA
i     313  800x600x15    VESA
l     416  1024x768x15   VESA
o     319  1280x1024x15  VESA
r     340  320x200x32    VESA
u     343  800x600x32    VESA
x     346  320x200x8     VESA
      349  1152x864x15   VESA
      34C  1152x864x32   VESA

1     F01  80x50         VGA
4     F05  80x30         VGA
7     300  640x400x8     VESA
a     305  1024x768x8    VESA
d     30E  320x200x16    VESA
g     311  640x480x16    VESA
j     314  800x600x16    VESA
m     417  1024x768x16   VESA
p     31A  1280x1024x16  VESA
s     341  640x400x32    VESA
v     344  1024x768x16   VESA
y     347  1600x1200x32  VESA
      34A  1152x864x16   VESA
      360  480x584x32    VESA

2     F02  80x43         VGA
5     F06  80x34         VGA
8     301  640x480x8     VESA
b     307  1280x1024x8   VESA
e     30F  320x200x24    VESA
h     312  640x480x24    VESA
k     315  800x600x24    VESA
n     318  1024x768x24   VESA
q     31B  1280x1024x24  VESA
t     342  640x1024x32   VESA
w     345  1280x1024x32  VESA
z     348  1152x864x16   VESA
      34B  1152x864x24   VESA

If you don't think any of those resolutions are better than 854x480 then I will stop playing with the framebuffer and maybe or maybe not I will stumble upon some other option that will help.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Aug.2013 15:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

In case anyone want to add more libraries or more software to the SDK you can do that with zypper. The Developer-faq describes how to login to both remotely. You can also use right ctrl+F2-6 on the virtual machine. If you choose the latter method you will get the US layout instead of the local layout if you use a local layout for your keyboard. For me with a norwegian keyboard that means that I will have to push the Ø-key(to the right of L) in order to get : or ; and Æ(to the right of Ø) in order to get ' or ".

For the emulator root have no password, nemo user have nemo as password. It looks like you have to login as nemo and then use su to get root access. On the emulator you won't need any password for su. I can't find any way to login with keys on the emulator without manually uploading the pub-keys, but I can make a recipe for that if you want.

In order to search for and install packages this cheat-sheets come in handy. I use zypper se package, zypper if package, zypper in package and rpm -ql package quite a lot. You can also use the long hand form: se=search in=install if=info . It does not matter if you write search or se, if or info, in or install.

If you want to ssh frequently you can save the configurations in order to be able to type less. On linux this config use this syntax and can be saved in $HOME/.ssh/config:

Code:

Host Emul
  Hostname localhost
  User nemo
  Port 2223

Host SDKroot
  Hostname localhost
  User root
  Port 2222
  IdentityFile ~/SailfishOS/vmshare/ssh/private_keys/engine/root

Host SDKmer
  Hostname localhost
  User mersdk
  Port 2222
  IdentityFile ~/SailfishOS/vmshare/ssh/private_keys/engine/mersdk

With that config you can use ssh SDKroot and login to the SDK-vm with root access without password, or ssh Emul and login to the Emulator if you type in nemo as a password. Emul is case sensitive so if you prefer to write ssh emul you will need to replace Host Emul with Host emul

On windows, if you use PuTTY, you can save the configuration(after you have filled in every setting you want). You can insert username in Configuration/data and select private key in Connection/ssh/Auth. I don't know if PuTTY is compatible with qtcreators keys though.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Aug.2013 16:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

If you don't think any of those resolutions are better than 854x480

Well, unfortunately, it seems that none of them provides the right proportions, so there won't be any benefit of using any of them instead of the default 854x480...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Aug.2013 17:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Is nHD(360x640) acceptable? When you make a new project it will automatically generate a sailfishapplication/sailfishapplication.cpp for you. it contains this information
Code:

void Sailfish::showView(QQuickView* view) {
    view->setResizeMode(QQuickView::SizeRootObjectToView);

bool isDesktop = qApp->arguments().contains("-desktop");

if (isDesktop) {
        view->resize(480, 854);
        view->rootObject()->setProperty("_desktop", true);
        view->show();
    } else {
        view->showFullScreen();
    }
}

You can easily modify that file so the else statement look like this instead:
Code:

} else {   
        view->resize(360, 640);
        view->show();
}
and you will get a windowed version inside. The virtual keyboard will still be shown from the whole screen, but the pushup menu and the pulldown menu will come from inside your application. Maybe I will find a better solution, but this is the first I have gotten to "work" with a 16:9 resolution. If I can get a large resolution from the list to work then it would be possible to do the same with qhd(960x540). The best would of course be to let the whole environment be a HD-resolution, but I have not figured that out yet.

The sillica-software is closed source software, so it is not possible for me to make a compilation for my desktop. Without them I can't compile the software for desktop, and I can't test on large monitors for the exact resolution I want to test with.

I think I have grep-ed the whole system(possible I have forgot some, but I don't think so) and I didn't really find much. I think that the screen resolution is hardcoded in either c++ or qml. I don't think it's very unlikely that the whole qt-GUI ships with a similar sailfishapplication.cpp per project.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Aug.2013 22:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I looked at how mer worked and discovered a cool setting. I can add custom video modes like this:

Code:
VBoxManage setextradata "SailfishOS Emulator" CustomVideoMode1 720x1280x32

If you don't like it you can switch back with
Code:
VBoxManage setextradata "SailfishOS Emulator" CustomVideoMode1 480x854x32

You will need to rotate your monitor 90 degrees if it does not support 1280 vertically. You can add any resolution you want, but the current GUI does not look good with landscape resolutions so always write the resolution so that it shows portrait-mode. Always use x32 at the end of the string. I don't know why 32bit colour is important, but it is.

Multiboot for various resolutions
1. Make a snapshot of your vm. If you do something wrong it is nice to be able to rollback.
2. Make sure your VM is turned off. Add custom resolutions. I will show code for adding HD and Full HD as alternative two and three.
Code:

VBoxManage setextradata "SailfishOS Emulator" CustomVideoMode2 720x1280x32
VBoxManage setextradata "SailfishOS Emulator" CustomVideoMode3 1080x1920x32

3. Make sure your VM is turned on. Log in via ssh(you can't copy and paste if you do it directly in the vm window). su to root. Edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf so that it looks like this. I have added comments(###) to the parts that's changed. NB there is no newline before vt.global. It should copy and paste correctly.:
Code:

prompt 0
timeout 100 ### Changed, gives you 10 seconds to choose a resolution

default vesamenu.c32
menu autoboot Starting MerDevice...
#menu hidden ### Added # in order to stop the bootloader
               ### from reading the statement

menu title Welcome to MerDevice!
menu color border 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color sel 7 #ffffffff #ff000000
menu color title 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color tabmsg 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color unsel 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color hotsel 0 #ff000000 #ffffffff
menu color hotkey 7 #ffffffff #ff000000
menu color timeout_msg 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color timeout 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color cmdline 0 #ffffffff #00000000
label merdevice0
        menu label MerDevice (3.6.11-9.3.Nemo)
        linux vmlinuz-3.6.11-9.3.Nemo
        append ro root=/dev/sda1 video=vesafb:mtrr:3 vga=864 vt.global_cursor_default=0 splash quiet rootfstype=ext4
        menu default

### All the rest is new from here. Feel free to change the menulabels
### I just added HD and FHD in order to distinguish them.
label merdevice1
        menu label MerDevice (3.6.11-9.3.Nemo) HD
        append ro root=/dev/sda1 video=vesafb:mtrr:3 vga=865 vt.global_cursor_default=0 splash quiet rootfstype=ext4

label merdevice2
        menu label MerDevice (3.6.11-9.3.Nemo) FHD
        append ro root=/dev/sda1 video=vesafb:mtrr:3 vga=866 vt.global_cursor_default=0 splash quiet rootfstype=ext4

Remember CustomVideoMode1 is vga=864, CustomVideoMode1 is vga=865 and CustomVideoMode3 is vga=866 and so on.

Last edited by Ketilk on Monday, 05.Aug.2013 00:56; edited 6 times in total
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Aug.2013 23:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I looked at how mer worked and discovered a cool setting. I can add custom video modes like this:

Wow, great! Thank you for your efforts! This will do the job. I'll test it in a minute. Multiboot would be an even more convenient solution! I wouldn't discover it myself...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 05.Aug.2013 00:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks to the guys that wrote that wrote this wiki-article. I wouldn't have been able to discover this method if they didn't write this:
Quote:

Now use this command to set the resolution (you can change the resolution, but have to keep 32 bits):
VBoxManage setextradata "NAME_OF_THE_VM" CustomVideoMode1 "480x854x32"

I figured out that I could easily swap Mode1 with 2 and 3 and discovered that the new resolutions was numbered predictably 864, 865 and 866. If vga=ask is used then it will be hexadecimal instead which means 360,361 and 362.

I have managed bootloader configurations since I started with gentoo linux in 2006 so making a multiboot solution was a quite logical step. The bootloaders extlinux, isolinux, grub1 and grub2 are easy.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 06.Aug.2013 22:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great, thank you once again! This makes the SDK almost fully usable, at last.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Aug.2013 17:00    Post subject: Workshop 12-14th of September 2013 - Katowice, Poland   Reply with quote   

Developing applications for Jolla's Sailfish OS
By: Vesa-Matti Hartikainen

The workshop shows how to get started in developing applications for Jolla's Sailfish OS. The presentation introduces the basic structure of the platform, shows main UI concepts, and presents the main APIs. The presentation shows hands-on how to get started in creating beautiful applications for Jolla devices using Sailfish Silica UI components, Qt5, and Sailfish OS SDK.

http://smartdevcon.eu/talks#developing-applications-for-salfish

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 29.Aug.2013 18:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla is a "Platinum Sponsor" at SmartDevCon in Katowice, Poland in September:

https://www.facebook.com/jollaofficial

Looking on http://smartdevcon.eu/#sponsors , you can see only two other platinum sponsors (Microsoft and sauce labs), being topped only by Samsung as "Diamond Sponsor".

Maybe we can expect some new insights on Vesa-Matti Hartikainen's presentation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic