MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Hands-on with Jolla

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emunator
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
6 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: N8, N9

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 00:57    Post subject: Hands-on with Jolla   Reply with quote   

Engadget got some hands-on time with the Sailfish:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/29/hands-on-with-jollas-sailfish-os-vi deo/

'Pull menu' seems really handy. Although I think it might get a bit hard to use if there are more than 3-4 items in the menu. I wonder if there is then some alternative way for menus. Maybe own 'more' item which then opens own dialog with all the items.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 03:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's really great to see it working so well on the N950. I just can't wait to have it on mine, and I'm glad I have both the N950 and the N9 as I will be able to install Sailfish on the N950 and still keep Harmattan on the N9...

The UI looks lovely and every N9 user will quickly get used to it as it doesn't differ that much. I'd even risk calling it Harmattan 2.0.

If it works so nicely on the N950, even in its current unfinished form, I guess it's safe to assume that it will be very smooth on more powerful hardware of the upcoming Jolla phone(s), hopefully dual-core 1.3 or 1.5 GHz at least.

Look Nokia what you've lost and what a cr*p you've chosen instead!

Looking at Sailfish and then at Windows Phone, I just can't imagine why would anyone want to get a Lumia when Jolla phone(s) become available...

Finally something REALLY DECENT is coming up after this sad 2012...

Oh, and let's not forget about BB10 which also looks fantastic.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 07:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Look Nokia what you've lost and what a cr*p you've chosen instead!

On a fitting note, the Nokia Lumia was just named by '24/7 Wall Street' as #5 on its list of worst product flops of 2012:

Quote:

The Lumia 900 was introduced at the Consumer Electronics Show back in January, but sales were never able to take off. Although the phone debuted at just $100 with a two-year contract, AT&T soon dropped the price to $50 to improve sales — and even that didn’t work. A consistent criticism of the phone was that its screen resolution was weaker than competitor phones and, more importantly, that the Microsoft’s Windows operating platform had a shortage of apps. By November, Nokia started selling the Lumia 920, and early predictions for sales of the newer version were mixed. Nokia, once the world’s largest mobile phone maker, has steadily declined in recent years, losing significant market share to companies such as Samsung and Apple. In the third quarter of 2012, Nokia’s market share of smartphones was just 4.3%, according to Gartner Research.

Apple Maps topped the list at #1 (fittingly)

Regarding the Lumia 920, I will say that I am pretty impressed with the hardware - especially the better-than-retina display. I am still not sold on Windows Phone 8 as a viable product though.
emunator
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
6 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: N8, N9

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 13:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Does every single thread always have to turn in WP bashing? This thread was about Sailfish Hands-on and already it turned to WP bashing.

So let's keep this about Sailfish, I think there are enough threads where you can go on with the bashing Smile
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 15:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Does every single thread always have to turn in WP bashing? This thread was about Sailfish Hands-on and already it turned to WP bashing.

Fair enough but I wouldn't call what I wrote WP bashing. I was simply replying to a comment that Michal made specifically about the Lumia phones and how Nokia's reputation has been hurt.

I am now using a Windows 8 convertible laptop (Lenovo Yoga = Awesome) and I thought I would absolutely hate Windows 8 as I am a more traditional Windows user. Well to put it bluntly, I really like Windows 8 and it has renewed my interest in the Lumia 920.

If the rumored Lumia 1000 with a QWERTY keyboard is ever released, I will probably take a look at it.

But like you said - very off topic so to bring us back around, Sailfish looks pretty polished even at this early stage. If there is a keyboarded version of a phone released and if there is at least some level of 3rd party support (and remember I used a N900 so I am not expecting a million apps), I might check it out.
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 16:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm waiting excited Sailfish. It's on the launch pad!! I hope we can install Sailfish together with Harmattan. Watching the video, on the one hand, Harmattan looks me easier than Sailfish, on the other hand, Sailfish looks me more stylish than Harmattan, but we'll have to check it .
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Dec.2012 17:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Let's not exaggerate Wink Only 2 short sentences out of 8 in my post refer in any way to Windows Phone, and they're more a comparison than just sheer bashing. It's just that when I look at Sailfish, i.e. what Nokia could have had instead of WP, and could entirely own and fully control rather than just license, I guess such comparisons are hard to avoid...

And when I say 'cr*p' it's not to just use a bad word to bash WP. Since ever, I've had a very strong preference for platforms which are not restricted to their least significant bit, functionally rich, developer friendly in terms of supporting multiple development options and providing developers free access to all APIs, and so on. So was Symbian (except for version 9 with severe Symbian Signed restrictions which I was strongly criticizing) and Maemo/MeeGo, and so will be Jolla. Completely unlike WP, which is more locked down than iOS and the least functional on the market (even with improvements brought by WP8), so it's not an option for me, hence my negative (but justified) opinion about it, not just 'bashing'...

Also, I guess that still not enough time has passed for people like me who spent the last 14 years using and supporting Nokia smartphones to vent all the disappointment that aroused from what they did and - maybe even more importantly - HOW they did it.

At the time of dumping MeeGo and switching to WP, Nokia was still a huge and poweful company with ~ 30% marketshare. So I guess we can easily imagine how much bigger chances and possibilities what we now know as Sailfish could have had if its makers were allowed to create it as Nokia's MeeGo team and release it as a Nokia product, rather than getting fired, having to establish a new company and start everything from scratch... Even before that, the N9 could have made Harmattan one of the most popular mobile platforms, considering how well it was selling and how good reviews it was getting, despite all the restrictions, lack of any promotion and while being officially discontinued, and if then Sailfish was released as Nokia's Harmattan 2.0, it could have been one of the market leaders already now... So much time and opportunities have been lost.... how to avoid regretting it?

We can't turn back the time and of course it is great that Jolla has been established and the OS has been created independently of Nokia (which must have taken even more effort, work and money, for which the guys deserve even more appreciation), and I keep my fingers crossed for it to become one of the leading mobile OSes, but what Nokia did just lays in foundations of Jolla and Sailfish creation, it's their starting point, and as such it will always be referred to, even in a Wikipedia article about Jolla's history Wink ...

Quote:

If the rumored Lumia 1000 with a QWERTY keyboard is ever released, I will probably take a look at it.

Let's also hang on for the upcoming BB10 phone(s). Some leaked/rumored specs mention quad-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon and 1280x720 display and the UI looks really fantastic and also closely resembles Harmattan. With native Qt support, HTML5 widgets/web apps, Android compatibility, etc., and QNX at its core, it may eat Lumias for breakfast...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic