MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Boot to QT introduced by digia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.May.2013 18:13    Post subject: Boot to QT introduced by digia   Reply with quote   

Hey all,

just read, that digia introduced boot to QT. See:

http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/05/21/introducing-boot-to-qt-a-tech nology-preview/

So, if Jolla does not say a word about Sailfish's QT support and no Meego Update is available and BB does not fully support QT (AFAIU), maybe this is "the" new alternative.

And doesn't that still mean, that there is a chance that QT could become the big third "ecosystem" even if Jolla now seems to treat it badly?

The following users say THANKS! for this post: pvanbeek

Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.May.2013 18:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I see that they are also planning a parallel boot-to-qt-for-embedded-linux which I think is really great. I just don't feel safe depending on an android kernel.

I also think the emulator is going to be great for testing Qt-software.

I think this is only going to be a developer OS, but it can sure help optimizing the software stack for a new alternative. You can develop the UI before you decide what core OS you want to use.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.May.2013 19:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It will be interesting to see how this develops in the future...

Quote:

if Jolla does not say a word about Sailfish's QT support and no Meego Update is available and BB does not fully support QT (AFAIU),

Both Jolla and BB10 fully support Qt (4.8 ). Sailfish OS is actually made in Qt and it has full QtQuick 1.1 support + Jolla's own Silica components replacing Nokia ones.

On BB10 full Qt 4.8 is included (except for QtMobility, which is replaced by BB's QtMobilitySubset only providing partial functionality, but quite sufficient for typical uses), so development in Qt is fully supported. It's just that instead of QtQuick BB10 has their own Cascades, which is quite similar but all the elements are different so QtQuick code actually has to be rewritten specifically for Cascades. However, some basic QtQuick support is also there (not really usable by default as only very basic elements are provided) but fortunately it is possible to (quite easily) import Symbian or MeeGo (or actually also Jolla's Silica or Ubuntu) components and make fully working QtQuick apps (quite easily portable from other Qt platforms).

Ubuntu fully supports Qt and QtQuick with their own components.

So the problem isn't lack of Qt support on these platforms - Qt is already there. The problem is lack of interest of BB (and for now apparently Jolla too; it remains to be seen how it'll look on Ubuntu) in native development, as they seem to be focused on Android compatibility.

Few months ago I've had a nice email conversation with Marc Dillon (he's now the Head of Software Development, so he's probably the best person to talk about software development with...). Then after a month or two I tried to contact him again to discuss how this site can help promote Sailfish OS and regarding Sailfish OS ports of my five applications. I never got any answer (neither from him nor from Jukka Eklund whom I CC'd). Today morning I wrote another email to Marc, again to offer help to promote Sailfish OS on this site, to let him know that I've already fully ported four applications to Sailfish OS (and I'm porting the fifth one) and ask a couple of questions regarding their development plans, and also to offer help regarding the Polish language (e.g. Polish localization of the OS) and the Polish market. So far no response. So I'm starting to wonder what is it all about. It's not that I am overestimating the role of this site (I am fully aware that it no longer has that huge popularity it used to have, but that's not really because of the site itself but because the OSes it's been supporting have been killed) or the importance or quality of my apps, but I just thought that if they talk so much about being so community-oriented and a person running a (still) popular community site who is also an author of several Sailfish OS apps (at this moment probably more than what any other developer has ported to Sailfish OS so far) tries to establish contact and offers help then it should not be just ignored.

I also twitted several times about my Sailfish OS ports, none of which has been retweeted of favourized by JollaHQ (the only retweets were made by 'normal people'), which is quite amazing for me considering that they keep retweeting everything with #jolla or #sailfish in it (mainly as unimportant tweets as "Jolla UR great, I love you" and they follow my Twitter account so it must have reached them, and... I guess it's not something to be ashamed of that someone ported 4 apps to their new OS. Especially that a couple of months earlier they did retweet information about the Sailfish OS port of SunCalc. The only explanation I can find is that they're no longer really interested in native applications being ported to their OS...

Or maybe I am banned for my opinions about Android compatibility. But if so then it somehow contradicts their statements about being interested in people's opinions.... (unless they're negative ones, apparently).

It's all quite sad and discouraging.

P.S. A good news from yesterday is that Qt for Tizen has been released (first Alpha version). It's a fully community-written Qt 5 port, so it actually doesn't come from Tizen themselves, but it's better than nothing.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Tizen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: naytsyrhc

AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.May.2013 20:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What I can see is that Qt 5.1 will start supporting Android and 5.2 will have full support. The best solution for building a strong Qt ecosystem is to get it rolled out on the major platforms, backed by Qt App Stores. It would benefit Jolla too since Qt developers that focuses on Qt/Android easily can target Sailfish too with simple modifications if it is even necessary.

A strong benefit with an open platform is that alternative app stores can be created and I would like to see a Qt Store according to the same concept as this one:

http://f-droid.org/

This is all about high quality, open source apps and I already found the best PDF reader I have ever used here: MuPDF.

This store has nothing to do with Google Play and the apps are usually not available there.

A Qt Store would be able to enjoy success in a similar way.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.May.2013 20:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As I already said. For me these are all indicators, why this site must survive -maybe as some my-qt software cataloigue and forum Michal!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 05:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

my-qt

Neither my-qt.com nor myqt.com is free.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 08:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What a pity.

How about the other suggestion by Keltik(k?), my-qtphone?
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 10:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

How about the other suggestion by Keltik(k?), my-qtphone?

Also sounds kind of neat, I think. "Cutephone" as a special version of "smartphone".
Only those phones should not ONLY be cute, but still smart at the same time... Wink
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 12:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess that the name must have Qt in it, as I'm actually only interested in platforms supporting Qt. Maybe I should drop that my- part... I guess it won't make any serious difference to anyone if the name does not follow that my-something pattern used so far...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 12:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda wrote:
[...]

Also sounds kind of neat, I think. "Cutephone" as a special version of "smartphone".
Only those phones should not ONLY be cute, but still smart at the same time... Wink

I think my-cutephone would be kind of cool. I was not the one who suggested my-qtphone, but it is a nice idea.

Last edited by Ketilk on Friday, 24.May.2013 13:22; edited 1 time in total
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 12:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

xxxxxxxxx is available

You better edit your post and hide that part or else they all may be taken before we decide on which one to use Wink

I guess I should revive the Site supporter only forum for this kind of discussions, well hidden from the prying eyes of different kinds of domain traders. When my-qt was mentioned here for the first time, it was free, too...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 13:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I didn't think about that. I'm not a business kind of person. I am just too used to good collaboration in the free and open source community.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 19:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I didn't think about it before, either. But it turns out that there are people who monitor such things and whenever they see that some domain name gets someone's attention they quickly buy it and then offer it for sale at 100x its normal price Shocked It looks that my-qt was acquired only a month or so ago (it was used earlier, but then freed, and recently bought again) and the domain isn't used for any web site, just bought and apparently waiting for someone willing to shell out some money on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved