MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Mer Nemo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.May.2013 15:58    Post subject: Mer Nemo   Reply with quote   

Anyone have tried the mer nemo on the N900 lately? I have and it looks more and more like the N9 GUI. It lags quite a bit and it does not seem like it support import of contacts, but other than that it looks like it have a great development. I dual boot it and have installed it on the Lexar-LSDMI32GBBEUR-micro SD-card. It is class 10, but it is still possible that it does not deliver the best speed.

You can not use the long hold on the hardware keyboard in order to reach the blue characters so you will need to either use the virtual keyboard or hold multiple keys at once for those. I think the keys are a bit too tiny for that. I also miss tab-completion in terminal. The virtual keyboard have a tendency to occupy the whole screen and I think it's not easy enough to turn it off.

The OS works better when you use a sim-card with it, than if you don't. It seems like the OS is configured to search for reception when it can't find any and that requires quite a lot of resources. The last time I started it the pin-application started minimized so I thought it didn't ask for a pin automatically at start up.

The last four months it has become much better than it was, but it is still not worth doing more than checking up the progress, or for developing it further. It has a very nice interface for WiFi. If you don't want to use dhcp you can easily set a static address. That is very nice in case your dhcp-server is configured incorrectly, you don't have dhcp or you just want a static adress.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 24.May.2013 02:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Anyone have tried the mer nemo on the N900 lately?

I tried it some time ago. At that time it was really slow, but that might have been due to a slow microSD card. I'll give it a try again, especially that now my two N900s are completely unused. Maybe I'll install it on the internal flash rather than the memory card and see what difference it makes.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Jul.2013 17:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I just want to say that I have damaged my SD-card and can't use it for nemo any more. It have got bad reviews in the store I have bought it from, it probably was the same problem as I am experiencing. Don't buy the same card as I have.

The card have 8-13MB/s sequential write speed and about 17MB/s sequential read speed, but it fails to read correctly when I use a filesystem for managing the reading. It works okay when I make a new partition that start on sector 2048 though. The nemo images start the first partition on sector 1.

I will investigate how to make my own images if I have the time soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic