MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Offline Update to new MAEMO ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbzadegan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 12

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 23.Jun.2013 12:54    Post subject: Offline Update to new MAEMO ?   Reply with quote   

Dear Ketilk,
When i browsing to international mobile forum i interested to new maemo screenshot such as attachment file ..
How i can download the new maemo image that support USB Mass storage ?
Is that any link to download whole image ( ~383 MB ) ?
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Monday, 24.Jun.2013 21:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't understand what you want. Do you have an old software version of maemo and want the newest official one from Nokia? You find your version number in settings -> about product. Do you want to reflash to another firmware version? Do you have a restricted but want an unrestricted? Do you have an old and want a new? Do you want to start out fresh? The newest firmware version is 21.2011.38(PR1.3.1) and PR1.3 is slightly older and is called 20.2010.36.

Do you talk about a community effort? I am not able to understand what effort you are talking about from the picture. Maemo5 support easy debian for additional application support, and it support various third party firmwares. The most stable is CSSU.

PS: Please don't address me directly in topics I have not participated in yet. I do not know everything and it is also nice giving other people the chance to answer.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jun.2013 17:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have reread your post and I think you want PR1.3. I use PR1.3.1 which include mass storage support. You can download it here if you insert your IMEI-number. Use your computer, not your phone for the download.

I will recommend downloading this file: RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin , but you are free to choose a localized variant. It's the version number that is important. The file is bound by US export restrictions so I will recommend reading the license file. You will have to agree to it in order to download anything. Upgrading from PR1.3 to PR1.3.1 can only be done trough Nokia's official mirrors.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mbzadegan

mbzadegan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 12

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Jun.2013 10:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

OK , Thanks , I have downloaded your suggest . Cool
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Jun.2013 15:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I recommend that you first back up data you want to keep to your computer. If you want sms, contact list, bookmarks and settings you will want to use an backup application. I don't remember if the application is included by default and I have never used any older version of maemo5 than PR1.3 so I don't know if you have to download a third party application or not.

If you want to backup third party settings you can use tar. If you make a directory called /home/user/MyDocs/backup you can then make make a tar archive of the whole user+MyDocs directory by running this command: tar cvpf /home/user/MyDocs/backup/backup.tar --exclude=MyDocs/backup . It is possible that this command requires gnu-tar, I am not completely sure. The command does not compress the backup though. You can replace backup.tar with backup.tar.gz and add z to cvpf like this cvzpf, but that requires more of the N900 hardware. If you want to exclude backing up the MyDocs folder you can replace --exclude=MyDocs/backup with --exclude=MyDocs. I will recommend copying those tar files to a memory card you remove from the phone or the computer.

The flashing mechanism is described in detail here. I haven't asked you what OS you run, but flasher is available to linux, mac, windows. You want one of those for fremantle. If you run windows, then it is possible that Nokia Software Updater also can work for upgrading it, but I don't know that application.

In order to use flasher run flasher-3.5 -F ./RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f as root if you use linux or administrator if you run windows. I don't know what it is called on mac. Some linux distributions use sudo in front of the command. I usually cd to the directory I have downloaded the firmware to and write ./ in front of the filename, type the first few letters and press <tab> in order to complete the filename..

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mbzadegan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic