MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla phone specs

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts
Thanks given: 5

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 18:46    Post subject: Jolla phone specs   Reply with quote   

I don't know how official it is, but these specs are mentioned on various sources :

Qualcomm Snapdragon clocked at 1.4GHz
1GB of RAM
16GB of microSD-expandable storage
Rear 8MP Auto-Focus camera with an LED flash, and a 2MP front camera
2100mAh battery
4.5-inch qHD panel (960x540)

These specs are very depressing imho. They hardly beat the 3 year old N9...
Looks like the Nokia tradition of underpowered hardware is still alive at Jolla Confused
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 18:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The specs are indeed official, they were added to the jolla website

http://jolla.com/your-jolla/

Edit :
Just noticed the specs were already discussed in another topic, sorry!

Last edited by detten on Friday, 20.Sep.2013 18:55; edited 1 time in total
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 18:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hmmm, they have been taken away from the Jolla site.
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 18:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If you scroll down the site, they are still there.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 18:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

With some more details, in fact:

Quote:

- 16GB storage, 1GB RAM, MicroSD
- 4,5" qHD (960x540) Jolla Estrade Display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon Dual core 1,4 GHz
- 8 MP AF Camera with LED flash and 2MP front facing camera

- Multi-touch with Gorilla 2(TM) Glass
- Micro SIM
- GSM/3G/4G LTE
- extension Interfaces for the Other Half smart cover with wireless NFC, power in/out and I2C data connectivity

Don't forget we are talking about an official retail price of 399€, not a 900€ high-end- smartphone.

Official retail price e.g. for Samsung's Galaxy S4 mini is 529,-€ in Germany, with specs that are not very far off:

- 8 GB storage, 1,5GB RAM, MicroSD
- 4,27" qHD (960x540) Display
- Dual core 1,7 GHz
- 8 MP Camera

And of course Samsung will be able to buy/produce such a device MUCH cheaper simply because of quantity the will sell...
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 19:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

yea, you're right... sorry

Probably a high res screen would have added considerbly to the price?

I gues they made a firm decision about wich price point they wanted their phone to be on.

Last edited by Kleuter on Friday, 20.Sep.2013 19:04; edited 1 time in total
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 19:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Almost all shops in Belgium offer the Galaxy S4 for 375 EUR, I dunno why Germany would be more expensive?

Anyway, I was waiting for the specs of the jolla phone to decide if I would buy it. I'm glad I didn't sign up right away.

I hope Jolla will deliver on their promise that Sailfish OS will run on most android phones, at least that will offer a better alternative I hope.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 19:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't think they will release their OS for users. They probably hope to make it easy for device manufacturers to produce a phone with Sailfish. What would they have to charge for their OS to an individual user? How would they support those users. Could'nt be profitable I guess....
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 19:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Anyway, I was waiting for the specs of the jolla phone to decide if I would buy it. I'm glad I didn't sign up right away

I can imagine that they would do a higher end divice later on if their first model succeeds.
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Sep.2013 19:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I don't think they will release their OS for users

You are probably right, it would only make sense to stimulate development of native apps, or to get the OS in the spotlight in general.

I don't think they expect the first jolla device to be a big success, they mentioned in an interview they target to sell just over 100 000 units. (their break-even point)
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 21.Sep.2013 14:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

These specs are very depressing imho. They hardly beat the 3 year old N9...
Looks like the Nokia tradition of underpowered hardware is still alive at Jolla

As I wrote in the other thread, these specs are actually quite fine to me, with the only exceptions being the screen resolution and DRAM memory size.

* 1.4 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 isn't in practice any worse than the 1.5 GHz one on the Blackberry Z10, which gives it a really great performance. I compared certain things (e.g. web browsing/page rendering speed) with the iPhone 4s and the Z10 was noticeably faster, so I wouldn't worry about the Jolla's performance. Of course, we don't know which precisely chipset it is (and therefore which precisely GPU it contains) and it may turn out to have a worse GPU, but lower screen resolution will probably compensate for this, anyway. Either way, it's still a MUCH better performance than the N9.

* 16 GB storage is really OK given that it can be expanded with microSD cards. Put a 64 GB card inside and you'll get 80 GB, more than the most expensive iPhone 5s, which is unexpandable.

* 8 MPix camera delivers images which (@ 300 dpi) can be printed on A3 paper and are 4-fold larger than FullHD monitor/TV screen. So resolution really isn't a problem. Quality is the question.

* 2100 mAh battery is more than 1800 mAh on the Blackberry Z10, so it shouldn't last for less.

Neither of the above I'd call depressing. I think they are 'quite sufficient'.

What I am not happy about is:

* 960x540 screen resolution (not much better than N9's FWVGA), especially if paired with that huge 4.5" screen. I really hoped for 1280x720 (or alike) as on the Blackberry Z10. Like I wrote in the other thread, if it was about cost reduction, certain other things could have been sacrificed instead of the screen resolution, e.g. the front camera didn't really need to be 2 MPix (1080p) but 1.2 MPix (720p) like on the iPhone 5s. Or the screen could have been SMALLER (if it made it cheaper), e.g. 4.2" or so (still larger than on the iPhone 5), but of higher resolution.

* 1 GB RAM seems to be OK on the N9, so it should also be OK for native applications on the Jolla, but it may be too little for demanding Android apps, especially that the Android compatibility runtime will also need memory for itself).

Quote:

I can imagine that they would do a higher end divice later on if their first model succeeds.

Question remains if it is a good strategy to start with a lower-end device and only then launch a high-end one. Most companies usually do it the reverse way, see e.g. Blackberry Q10 followed by Q5, or iPhone 5s followed by 5c. Of course, I am aware of financial limitations, but it is the first model based on a new platform which usually attracts the most attention, and if it disappoints then the following ones (even if considerably better) never get the same publicity. See how e.g. the announcement of Blackberry Z30 went almost unnoticed by major media, unlike the Z10 which was talked about a lot.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Monday, 23.Sep.2013 09:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I agree. I don't think the specs are that bad. I'm still very happy with the performance of my N9. Sometimes Webbrowsing could be faster, but it is always very difficult to say if those sites are slowed down by the N9s browser or by bandwith. It seems to be the processor though.

I'm really disappointed about the display as well. Not that 960x540 aren't enough for me, but the combination with such a huge display. I'm not a friend of big displays in smartphones. But if they already build such a big display, why then waste the space with a poor resolution?
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 23.Sep.2013 11:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My biggest problem with the specs are the screen resolution. Simply unacceptable for such larger display. 1Gb RAM might be to little if you consider running android apps.

The GPU has not been disclosed, which is almost equally important as the CPU these days. The fact they didn't disclose it and the low res screen makes me doubt it will be top notch either...

I'm probably one of the last that still uses his N9 as main phone, and the CPU is really getting too slow. Especially for browing (due to the lack of many dedicated apps, the main activity on N9 for me).

You all say the specs aren't so bad, but the only specs that matter are a turndown, or aren't disclosed yet. Ofcourse its nice to have microSD slot, and at least a dual core cpu, but it doesn't make up for the screen res...
For a long time I thought my 3g bandwidth was the problem, until I saw the browsing performance on a mid range HTC with same provider...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 23.Sep.2013 13:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's interesting how they only say "Qualcomm Snapdragon" without mentioning the actual model/series. So it is a continuation of their policy of not revealing full specs... And if they don't reveal something then (as with the screen) it then may turn out to be below expectations...

I believe that there is a correlation between the screen resolution and the GPU they have chosen. I.e. that the screen is of low resolution so that a weaker GPU could be used.

I guess that if it was the S4 then they would mention it as it is now the most popular SoC, i.e. nothing to be ashamed of. So it probably isn't S4. And I actually couldn't find (please correct me if I'm wrong) any SoC with dual-core 1.4 GHz S4. Dual-cores are usually 1.5 GHz (like in the Lumias or the Z10).

Maybe someone with some free time to kill could find a Qualcomm chipset matching the Jolla phone specs: dual-core 1.4 GHz, 1080p video, LTE?

Quote:
For a long time I thought my 3g bandwidth was the problem, until I saw the browsing performance on a mid range HTC with same provider...

Indeed, it's just amazing how fast web browsing is on e.g. the Blackberry Z10. A wholly different experience than on the N9. I often get an impression that my desktop with its quad-core i7 @ 3.4 GHz does it slower over WLAN than the Z10 over HSPA.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 23.Sep.2013 19:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think the "other Half" connectivity sounds pretty interesting - not only NFC and Power in/out as known before, but also I²C connector.
I don't know too much about it, but it seems to be an interface capable of pretty much everything needed for data/signal transmission.
I2C is used for connecting allkinds of sensors e.g. to Arduino and Raspberry Pi microcomputers.

This might make the Jolla phone interesting for hardware tinkerers, making their own "do-it-yourself-other-halfs".
This will not exaclty be a huge target audience, but it definetely makes Jolla stand out of the crowd...

Maybe it can really become the MUST HAVE device for a lot of "geeks"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic