MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Neo900

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
24 in 16 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 16:59    Post subject: Neo900   Reply with quote   

A new lease of life for the N900? Would this be practical?
http://neo900.org/
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 16:59    Post subject: Sponsored links      

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
42 in 38 posts
Thanks given: 212

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 19:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sounds great at first.
But I think that is only something for real enthusiasts.
Cost estimations on

Only registered users can see links
Register or log in to see the link
(thread started by the initiators of that project) show prices between 400 and 600€ will be likely (depending on the number of boards that can be sold in one batch).

In my opinion that is too much for a new mainboard put into N900 housing - they plan to actually use "...housing, display, digitizer aka touchpanel, cameras etc sourced from the commercial N900 spare parts market."

And Maemo 5 has not yet been ported to that hardware - this is another project.

I really like the idea behind that project and whish them all the best, but I don't think this will be feasible for me personally.

Maybe if Jolla will not work out the way I hope it will, Neo900 might become something to think about, though.
It would be a TRUE Open Source project.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
927 in 572 posts
Thanks given: 258

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920 :-)

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Oct.2013 02:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Considering that both my N900's can be overclocked to 1.1 GHz (and remain fully stable, so I think most N900's can do it), that Neo900 device doesn't seem to offer much speed improvement compared to such overclocked N900, maybe except for 512 MB RAM instead of 256 MB, which should reduce swap usage and thus make the device smoother. So the only important improvement is LTE support, and the remaining things (like gyro, barometer, etc) are quite minor...

For me it would make sense (especially at that price) to replace the N900 only with something providing some CONSIDERABLE speed improvement, or else there's no point in doing it. I don't really need LTE, either. So while it is nice to see that the N900 might get a new life, in this form it probably isn't something I'd be interested in.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
35 in 35 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71], Current [Nokia N9, Jolla]

PostPosted: Thursday, 31.Oct.2013 11:26    Post subject: Fundraising Campaign for the Neo900 Project started   Reply with quote   

See

Only registered users can see links
Register or log in to see the link

I think it is a great idea, but my hopes are with Jolla at the moment as well.
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted:     Post subject: Sponsored links      

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved