MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia continues to FINISH OFF MeeGo, Symbian and ITSELF

Go to page  
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 04.Oct.2013 19:54    Post subject: Nokia continues to FINISH OFF MeeGo, Symbian and ITSELF   Reply with quote   

It looks that what's been done to Symbian and MeeGo so far still isn't enough for those who destructed Nokia's own operating systems and the company itself.

Now, starting from January 1st, they're cancelling support for Symbian and Harmattan applications in the Nokia Store. A message stating so has just been sent to all Nokia Store publishers. The existing content will remain available, but neither new applications nor even updates to the existing ones will be accepted. They are going to focus SOLELY on Windows Phone and the Asha series, i.e. only on what they sold to Microsoft.

It looks that Nokia continues to do EVERYTHING it takes to support Microsoft, even if it is harmful to Nokia itself. Or else, what other company (especially in THIS financial condition) would be just giving up like this on yet another revenue source, and probably quite a good one considering that only in September Symbian and Harmattan users have downloaded nearly 700 copies of my applications (and I surely am NOT the most popular Ovi store publisher), which shows that there is an ongoing demand for Symbian and MeeGo software.

And it makes me wonder what has happened with Nokia's PROMISE to support Symbian until 2016. A company that doesn't keep their own promises should get what it deserves, and I hope that Symbian and Harmattan users will not forget how they've been cheated and misled.

Hopefully by that time someone else will decide to launch a '3rd party' appstore supporting Symbian and Harmattan.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 04.Oct.2013 22:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P.S. If I am not mistaken, distribution of Windows Phone applications is SOLELY through the Microsoft Market. If so, then getting rid of Symbian and MeeGo from the Ovi store in practice will (sooner or later) mean...... actually LIQUIDATING the Ovi Store, as the only content remaining will be Asha's (Series40's) midlets and wallpapers/ringtones.

As you can see guys, the destruction of Nokia has not yet been completed, it is still an ongoing process. And all that without even waiting to hear what shareholders have to say in November.

But if they think that this way they can force any Symbian or MeeGo developer to switch to developing for Windows Phone, then I'd like to assure them that the result will be identical as in 2011 when they believed that ditching Symbian and MeeGo would make every Nokia phone owner switch to WP while they all instantly switched to Android. After being treated this way, and not for the first time, I don't think any Symbian/MeeGo developer (and hopefully also user) will trust this company and want to have anything to do with it (and those who bought it) in the future.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Oct.2013 13:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Shame on you Nokia!!! I will never buy a WP and also will tell my family, friends and others not to buy a WP in the future.
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Oct.2013 13:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What a shame! It's time to back up all apps.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Oct.2013 13:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is already an alternative. It's called openrepos.net.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Oct.2013 15:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

There is already an alternative. It's called openrepos.net.

It's for free content. It does not support paid software. Like on any other platform, for commercial applications a typical appstore is needed. I wrote to Opera suggesting them to add Harmattan support (and enhance Symbian support) after Nokia ditches them, yet to see any response.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Oct.2013 16:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's a shame. Think we need independent multiplatform stores that support every smartphone OS.

For paid applications they might need to make a browser-download for certain platforms in the beginning, but for freeware and free software they can easily make rpm and deb repositories for sailfish, maemo, harmattan. The developers can then choose which OS they upload a binary package for(optionally with sources for free software).

I will need to pay a better ISP than I have today or pay for expensive hosting if I should be able to do it myself. Wonder whether there are some open source ovi store code from symbian^3, if so it would maybe be possible to port that to Anna and Belle in order to make a userfriendly client for symbian.

For maemo/harmattan it might be possible to generate dynamic repositories on the fly server side, or work around it by using an external application in the same manner ovi store works on harmattan.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 06.Oct.2013 01:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

One more thing:

In case of Harmattan signing actually isn't needed and the only inconvenience will be that applications will show "This content comes from untrusted source" (or so) message but other than that they'll run fine. Qt Creator nicely generates the required aegis manifest, and that's all it takes.

But on Symbian things look completely different. Only the basic capabilities can be used in a 'self-signed' application while lots of capabilities require normal signing. So far all developers distributing software via the Ovi Store have been using Nokia's signing. Now that the Ovi store will be closed for Symbian software, this signing option will no longer be available. The only remaining option is Symbian Signed (e.g. Express Signed) but it is also CONTROLLED BY NOKIA, and considering that closing the Ovi Store for Symbian is clearly aimed at killing the platform, the Symbian Signed service probably will be closed (sooner or later), too. And if so then this way Nokia WILL manage to murder Symbian, for good.

---

Anyway, judging by the response to this news, both here and everywhere else, it doesn't look that anyone cares. So maybe Nokia is actually right.... why keep supporting a platform whose users (and developers too) don't give a **** about it?
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Oct.2013 08:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Symbian and MeeGo have been killed off and are no longer a threat to Windows Phone so there is no need for Nokia to kick existing users of these platforms by denying them new apps or upgrades to existing apps. Nokia's intention is clear from their statement to developers which read in part:

Quote:
... we have decided to focus our support and investment in new content toward Asha and Windows Phone. Over the next few months we will be transitioning our active developer support away from Symbian and MeeGo.

.... We are very excited about the opportunities available with Asha and Windows Phone, and hope that you will bring your talents to these platforms....

So this is clearly a hardball message to Nokia developers to start developing for Asha and WP. How will developers respond? Well, this is like Elop killing of Symbian and MeeGo to move the user base to WP. It will end the same way with most developers moving to any platform other than WP. It also underscores Nokia's desperation in trying to promote WP even at the expense of hurting itself.

However it is getting more challenging to use the N9 as my mobile phone. Apps are going to get less as those which connect to online services can stop working due to change in protocol or API. Already Butaca, CloudGPS and Popflix have stopped working. However I will keep on using my N9 as long as I can as it does things which Android can't match like much better multitasking.

I hope somebody set up an alternative MeeGo/Symbian store for the millions of users still out there.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Oct.2013 16:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The funny thing is that Symbian and MeeGo software in the Ovi store must be still providing Nokia quite decent profits. For instance, my EasyStreetView for Symbian, whose ~600 copies were sold within the last month, is only 41. on the "Best sellers" list, and that only in one category (Utilities). Which means that Nokia must be still selling hundreds of thousands of copies of Symbian and MeeGo applications a month, on which it earns 30% of their price. So the store apparently still provides millions of EUR a year, and it's EASY MONEY because on Nokia's side there's ZERO RISK involved in running this business, and there's little (if any) investment needed and only a few people involved now in maintaining the store.

So this is yet another example that those who make such decisions absolutely do NOT care about Nokia's finances but their only goal is to finish off Symbian and MeeGo and promote Windows Phone at every cost. There is no other logical explanation of killing yet another multi-million revenue source of a cash-starving company.
frene
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Oct.2013 22:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Michal,
I just downloaded EasyStreetView's update (N9).
First, I'd like to tell you it works just perfect.
And then, I want to thank you for your unabatted involvement in maintaining this site, and in supporting the Symbian & Meego community. This is especially outstanding at a time when Nokia is closing all of its phone manufacturing activities, and when the open source community will have to make do without any big corporate support.
I'am no developper and I don't have much free time to share with you. Yet I acknowlege the value that people like you brought to me - at the very least in the form of a highly customized and powerfull N9.
For short, you Meego people just made it great.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Oct.2013 02:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you very much frene for your support and for your kind opinion.
alltracboy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N9, N95 8Gb

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Nov.2013 17:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

spyder81 wrote:
Shame on you Nokia!!! I will never buy a WP and also will tell my family, friends and others not to buy a WP in the future.
Why not? WP look still more useful for me like android. I want buu Nokia 925 soon. Is it bad choice?

Btw, I can´t download any app to my N9 from this site. It redirect me to windows store all the time.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Nov.2013 19:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I can´t download any app to my N9 from this site. It redirect me to windows store all the time.

What do you mean by "Windows store"? For Ovi store applications, this site simply redirects to the Ovi store.

Quote:

Why not? WP look still more useful for me like android. I want buu Nokia 925 soon. Is it bad choice?

Is "Android or WP" the only existing choice? Have you checked the remaining options? Have you seen Blackberry 10 (e.g. the Z10 or Z30)? Or aren't you willing to wait a month or so more and see the Jolla and Tizen?

Everyone has his own preferences, so I can imagine that one likes the look of WP more than Android's. But I certainly wouldn't call WP "more USEFUL than Android". WP's functionality (in terms of available/supported features) is still considerably lower than Android's (or actually ANY other system's), it is also much more locked. Software choice (and quality) on Android is also uncomparably bigger.
alltracboy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N9, N95 8Gb

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.Nov.2013 16:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I was try to download Virtual candle yesterday, but it redirect me to ovi store. the same for many other applications. Today I am able to save it.

WP.. problem is I like nokia due its good camera. Motorola z10 is an option too, but is it better than 925?. I like jolla idea too, but we must take device from our mobile operator. So in my price range and needs is nokia 925 maybe only one choice.

I miss some qwery device like N950. I am going mad from N9 keyboard. It hide almost all, and I miss some arrow there. is some option to hide keyboard manually? Because is it pretty hard to hide it if you are in text box like this one. I was really believed that N9 will have better support when I bought it 2y ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic