MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
The Jolla starts shipping on November 27

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Wednesday, 18.Dec.2013 23:34    Post subject: My first impression   Reply with quote   

The UI is very nice actually. Using multy tasking is very different from getting in and out of apps like on a S5 I recently installed, and refreshing. Gestures take some getting used to I suppose. Definitely beta SW though. No support for landscape yet mostly. And you cant for instance push away the puzzle app if you are working on it. Back cover is a bit plastiky and a bit flimsy for my taste. I doubt the added value of TOH, think the market (jolla installed base) will be to small to attract investors, may just not be a profitable business proposition. Typing on the device is much more comfortable then on the S5 (less precision needed). Because the UI needs less precision it is probably easyer to use and more comfortable. No easy access to Hotmail like on the S5. Have not tried Gmail and exchanges that are there. I definitely like the visuals, much more contempory then either IOS or Android. Have not yet tried the Android app I need yet. Getting in contacts from Symbian device is tedious, no bulk update. Hardware design is distinctly Volvo-ish, but that is presonal....
Still needs a lot of work I think. Not going to be easy for them. You can get a very good device from Huawei for less these days. And that is not a Beta device....
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 19.Dec.2013 08:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Apparently the gestures do not change relative to landscape or portrait mode. So if you swipe top to bottom to close an app in portrait mode you have to swipe left to right for the same action in landscape mode. How do you find this compared to N9?
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 19.Dec.2013 11:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My phone is still just "paid". Allthough I don't know if I got it already (I set the shipping address to my address during christmas holidays, as I thought they maybe would not manage the delivery until tomorrow, when I'll leave for holidays - which wasn't a bad guess Wink ).

From what I read from the shipping list from google/TMO, almost all preorder from finland (first wave) have been processed and international orders from second wave seem to have reached the 3k mark. So maybe with some luck it could still make it before christmas...
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 19.Dec.2013 11:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Apparently the gestures do not change relative to landscape or portrait mode. So if you swipe top to bottom to close an app in portrait mode you have to swipe left to right for the same action in landscape mode. How do you find this compared to N9?

I can't compare to N9 since I have never used one, but I think it actually makes sense to keep it that way.

I could imagine it being more confusing to once swipe on the short side of the phone to close an app and then for the next one use the long side.
Not sure about that one, though.

Quote:

The UI is very nice actually. Using multy tasking is very different from getting in and out of apps like on a S5 I recently installed, and refreshing.

Fully agreed.
I'm loving it more and more. Multitasking really is working great, also the peek view can be quite helpful for quick checks, e.g. music player active cover shows the name of song and artist, so having a quick look what song is playing while browsing the internet is just one (half) swipe from the right without actually leaving the browser.
The same for notes: at least the beginning of either every note (when in overview) or more of one selcted note is shown on the active cover.

New E-mail is shown with name of sender and subject in events view, mail client's active cover shows name of sender and subject of currently open mail or number of new mails and time elapsed since last sync when in folder view.

I still think the browser could improve in usability - for example, opening a new tab is acually faster when swiping to multitasking view and then swiping right on the active cover (2 swipes. which is really great and fast) instead of doing it within the app (scrolling down on the page to make navigation bar visible, clicking on the "tab" icon, then swiping down for Pulley menu "new tab").
Actually, listing these steps I realize it is also just three steps, but it feels a lot more complicated somehow.
And of course missing landscape view for browser is not acceptable at all.
A lot of people on TMO state that they use Android Firefox just because of this.

But I am getting confident that the bugs and glitches and missing features can actually be sorted out quickly - if Jolla keep their promise to work on regular updates.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 19.Dec.2013 12:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Quote:

I can't compare to N9 since I have never used one, but I think it actually makes sense to keep it that way.

On N9 the gestures have been fixed with the orientation of the screen. I.e. swiping from top was always from top (where the status-bar was). So it was either the long side if in landscape mode or the short side if in portrait mode.

I think that was quite usable, as it was always from top no matter in which direction you hold the phone. The only problem with it was that sometimes the accelerometer was not so fast and the orientation was not changing fast enough or in some cases when holding the phone in an angle that let the phone flip between orienations back and forth, the gesture was difficult to perform precisely Wink

I have to see whether the locked gesture from top of the phone case is better.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 02:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

the order status changed from paid to 'in picking' now.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 03:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

the order status changed from paid to 'in picking' now.

Congratulations!
Fedex was very quick in my case (18 hours) so you may get your unit tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic