MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Native applications for Sailfish OS

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Nov.2013 01:53    Post subject: Native applications for Sailfish OS   Reply with quote   

While there's so little being done about promoting native software development for Sailfish OS, I guess we can help promote it ourselves.

Let's make this thread a list of available (or in-development) native Sailfish OS applications. If someone finds a page with a new application, please post here a link to it and/or its description and screenshots.

I am starting with some of my own applications (same four as shown in the thread about active covers). I will add the remaining apps of mine within the next few days once I fully polish the remaining things in their UIs.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, alexpain

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Nov.2013 01:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

MoonCalc for Sailfish OS

MoonCalc is an application to calculate Moon data for the current time or any selected date, and to quickly locate the Moon in the sky. Full description of the Harmattan version (same functionality) is available here.

Sailfish OS status: fully ported.

Main application:

Active cover:

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Nov.2013 02:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

SunCalc for Sailfish OS

SunCalc is an application to calculate Sun related data for the current time or any other selected date and location - sunrise and sunset, dawn and dusk, times of various twilight levels, transit (highest elevation on a day), day and night length (also compared to solstice and the previous day), and more. It shows a graph presenting position of the Sun at every hour for a selected day and location. Full description of the Harmattan version (same functionality) is available here.

Main application:

Active cover:

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Nov.2013 02:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Biorhythms for Sailfish OS

Calculates data for the primary biorhythm cycles for the current or any other selected day, for two persons. Interactive, scrollable graph and textual interpretation of current biorhythm states. Full description of the Harmattan version (same functionality) is available here.

Main application:

Active cover:

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Nov.2013 03:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

StarFinder for Sailfish OS

StarFinder is an application to quickly and easily find astronomical objects in the sky. Just select an object and the program will instantly show you where exactly to look. It has two indicators (azimuth and elevation) whose arrows point you in the right direction. As you move the phone in the directions shown, arrows will turn from red to green - and the selected object will be right behind the phone. StarFinder supports all planets, the Sun, the Moon, all constellations, most notable asterisms, meteor showers, and stars. Additionally, it calculates in real time a lot of astronomical data for each object. Full description of the Harmattan version (same functionality) is available here.

Main application:

(the azimuth arrow is not shown on screenshots because the emulator does not emulate compass)

Active cover:

The following users say THANKS! for this post: naytsyrhc

naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Nov.2013 20:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey Michal,

it's really great to see you proceeding. On the other hand it's really sad that your applications will probably stay unavailable for the time being as you explained in your other post.

I really don't understand this ignorance of Jolla. They didn't seem to be of such kind.

Anyway, I hope you'll be able to sell your apps very soon and wish you great success. The active covers look awesome.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 23.Nov.2013 01:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi naytsyrhc,

Thank you very much. All the remaining applications are also ported, but there's one important change left to be done. All of them use maps, and I will need to migrate them from Nokia Maps to something else, most probably to OpenStreetMap (OSM) which already has a Qt plugin.

I wanted to continue using Nokia Maps, but the Here licence for non-Nokia phones is somehow discouraging. Even the "evaluation" key needs registering and filling in lots of personal details, and the Base key is then free but subject to the same limits as e.g. Google Maps (2500 requests a day), and also requires registration, etc., unlike Google Maps where applying for the free API key is just "recommended" but can be used without it.

Compared to this, OSM doesn't require any registration or key. I'm just testing if it can replace Nokia Maps. That's why I am not posting screenshots of the remaining applications at this time. But within a few days they should also be ready.

Quote:

I really don't understand this ignorance of Jolla. They didn't seem to be of such kind.

I don't understand their approach, either. And maybe I wouldn't have had so high hopes and expectations if not all that talk about being so strongly community based and so open to all those willing to support them.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 23.Nov.2013 22:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Compared to this, OSM doesn't require any registration or key. I'm just testing if it can replace Nokia Maps.

Hmmm.... OSM maps look really ugly in low zoom levels. Just light-blue seas and white lands. And no satellite imagery Sad Nokia Maps are definitely much better but I don't like how Nokia asks me to give them my phone number, street address, and a lot of other things like that, only to get the evaluation key... Google Maps might be a good alternative, but there's no native plugin so I'd need to use their Javascript API in a WebView, which would require a lot of modifications in each application. Tough choice.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Sunday, 24.Nov.2013 03:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Openstreetmap is made by a lot of volunteers and I guess not many locations have gotten very detailed at the lowest zoomlevels yet. I don't think it looks too bad on closest zoom level in Norways second largest city, Bergen( 5° 19' 17,7"E, 60° 23' 16,9"N ). It's really bad in places where the users haven't added any houses yet.

Some parts of London( e.g. 0° 07' 39,9"W, 51° 30' 25,8"N and 0° 03' 33,6"W, 51° 29' 10,0"N ) has even more details, but that's not really a surprise given the size of the city. I guess it's still ugly, but at the same time openstreetmap is useful and unrestricted. I guess it's geeks who think of graphics as an afterthought have contributed the most.

*I am using the desktop client marble for downloading the maps. It's a very good mapping application for linux supporing many different maps. Openstreetmap is by far the best looking map it bundles. The others can't really be used for selecting where you are any more accurate than current city.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 24.Nov.2013 09:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I've registered for the Here evaluation key, just to compare. And I guess I'll stay with Openstreetmap in the publicly available versions of my applications. At least it's free and not restricted in any way.

I've got a problem, however, than I cannot get any items (images, markers, etc.) rendered over the map in zoom levels lower than 3 (no matter if I use Here or OSM). For instance, in ISSTracker by default I use the world map level, i.e. zoomLevel 1 (so that the whole path of the satellite can be shown at once), and nothing (icon of a satellite, its path) gets shown in zoomLevel 1, and nothing in zoomLevel 2, either. Only after zooming in to level 3 all the objects appear and remain visible in all the remaining zoom levels.

Qt5.x is currently so poorly documented that you never know if such problem is a bug or if something has changed and needs to be done differently. It's extremely time consuming.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 28.Nov.2013 19:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ISSTracker for Sailfish OS

ISSTracker is an application to track satellites and calculate their visible night-time passes over your location. It comes with ISS (International Space Station) and HST (Hubble Space Telescope) preconfigured, and it supports any other satellite, which can be configured just by entering in Settings its name and the name of the TLE file containing its orbit data, as listed @ celestrak.com. Full description of the (functionally the same) Harmattan version is available here.

The only difference in the Sailfish OS version for now is that currently the lowest zoom level of the map is 3 rather than 1 as in other versions, so it is not possible to see the whole orbit for the next 60 minutes but only some 10-15 minutes. This is due to a bizarre limitation of QtLocation 5.0 - they had some problems with showing overlay items in zoom levels 0-2 so they simply disabled it (opacity in these zoom levels is automatically changed to 0.0 and only a plain map is visible) Shocked

Main application:

Active cover:

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Saturday, 30.Nov.2013 06:13; edited 1 time in total
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 29.Nov.2013 00:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great work again. What active cover does IssTracker provide, or didn't you finish one yet? (I'm just curious to know Wink )

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 29.Nov.2013 07:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

What active cover does IssTracker provide

Ooops, sorry, forgot about it. Going to bed now, so I'll post the screenshots after I wake up Wink
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Friday, 29.Nov.2013 09:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great work Michal! The apps look excelent in such a big screen!

spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.Nov.2013 01:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Good work Michal. Looks very nice. Jolla needs to use your knowledge. It's very frustrating to read from you that they are not answering your messages. They need to focus on native applications. Now its the whole time focusing on the Android applications, but in the long term they need native ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic