MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Got the Jolla

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 00:22    Post subject: Got the Jolla   Reply with quote   

So, my continued requests were heard. I got an email from Marc Dillon yesterday that my Jolla has shipped, and today it was delivered (good job Fedex!).

I will be posting some initial impressions soon, just as I get familiar with the device a little bit.

For now a short question to all those who already have the Jolla:

when you connect The Other Half to your phone while it is running, do you get a message like:

Problem with Store. This The Other Half is not working

Is it "normal" or did I get a faulty unit / TOH? I get such notification displayed for a while (at the top of the screen) with a notification tone everytime I put the back cover on...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Camelus

naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 01:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Congratulations. I didn't receive mine yet as far as I can tell. But I think it's fair enough, they now probably did what you suggested (putting another address label on one of the packages).

I'm looking forward to read about your first impressions.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 02:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Congratulations Michal. I am also looking forward to your review
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 03:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

they now probably did what you suggested (putting another address label on one of the packages).

Most probably so....

Quote:

I'm looking forward to read about your first impressions.

The very first impression (the device itself and some initial screens) was very positive. The screen is huge, build quality is decent. The standard Other Half feels very plasticy (as it is just a piece of plastic, maybe a bit too flimsy) but that's only when it is removed. Once you put it back the device feels quite solid.

The second impression (the UI) was..... a bit disappointing. Coming from the beautiful Blackberry BB10, I must say that I truly dislike Jolla icon style. I know this 'simplicistic' style is intended, but there's something about it that almost annoys me. Moreover, the text under icons (application names) isn't antialiased and it looks as if someone resized a bitmap picture with some text. Awful. It needs to be improved ASAP.

The gesture based control really takes getting used to, even by Harmattan users. One needs to learn what takes swiping from outside of the display (accross the bezel) and what takes a swipe inside of the screen. Until one gets used to it, using the device may be quite frustrating. But then it gets simple and obvious. So be patient, don't get disappointed too soon, and then you'll like it a lot.

The only thing that is quite cumbersome (unless there's some other way to do it) is when you have some very long scrollable content (e.g. list of applications in the store) and you're somewhere in the middle or at the bottom of that content (not on its "first screen") then you need to scroll it back to the top and only then you can swipe down to access the Pulley (Pull down) menu. There should be some other way to access the menu while not on top of the long content. I guess it looks similar with the Push-Up menu (located at the bottom).

The OS itself is very stable (as for such short usage) and very smooth. Performance surely won't be a problem. Other than the awful app icons, it looks REALLY BEAUTIFUL, kind of 'artistic' I'd say.

The phone, even though sent yesterday, came with the old version of the OS (so it doesn't look they flash devices prior to sending, unless they flash them with an old OS version...). After I set it up, it showed "No updates available" which surprised me as I knew that an update was released recently. Also, I could not enable Twitter account no matter what I did. After pressing "Consent" it was just quitting. So I decided to reset the device to a factory state (which was a quick and painless process). Then the phone correctly showed an update (and downloaded and installed it) and also Twitter account setup went OK.

As I wrote, whenever I connect The Other Half, I get a message "Problem with Store. This The Other Half is not working" - I have no idea what it is about. I asked on Twitter and one person reported also seeing such message once, but it does not explain if this is a broken TOH or just nothing to care about. I guess that after connecting TOH the phone wants to check in the store if there's an 'ambience' for it and then download and install it - for some reason it doesn't do so but only shows that message (that's why it is about both the TOH and the store). Either it doesn't recognize the TOH correctly (which might mean it's faulty) or it can't find an ambience for it in the store...

I installed a couple of native applications from the store (two screenshot apps, a file browser which has just been released, SameGame) - installation was very quick and smooth, in the background. Everything works perfectly.

I also tried a couple of Android apps. From the Jolla store I installed the Yandex store client and using it I installed Opera Mini (works OK) and Opera Mobile (doesn't work). I also sent a couple of simple APK's to the phone via Bluetooth - they worked OK just like on BB10. I will test more complex Android apps later.

I haven't yet had time to install any of my own applications as I haven't yet created the rpm's. Will try later today.

The Jolla store.... indeed, there's like 30 apps in total there... And it took me quite a while to realize that to get the full list I need to swipe to the right. The default view is people's latest comments on applications - quite messy.

In Settings there is nothing related to The Other Half. There is no NFC setting, either.

I MISS THE ABILITY TO CREATE FOLDERS for application icons! Jolla, please add it!

I enabled the Developer mode, but I cannot enable the "SSU / Allow developer updates" option. Once I tap it it takes me to a screen where I am expected to enter a username and password and the only button is "Register" (so I suppose it is for creating a new account). When I enter username and password, it just takes me back to the main Developer mode settings display with the "Allow developer updates" still disabled.... Tried like 20 times or so, to no avail.

Finally... battery life. For now it looks to be quite poor. Left the phone on a charger when I needed to go out so it fully charged. Since then I spent maybe an hour in total using it (and not doing any really power consuming things) and it's 55% now. Maybe it takes a couple of charge/discharge cycles to obtain full capacity.... hopefully.

P.S. Jolla, PLEASE, in the future please print WLAN MAC on the label that's on the box (in addition to IMEI), not just in the About dialog in the phone itself. When one turns the phone for the first time, it asks to create Internet connection needed for the setup (creating accounts, downloading updates, etc.). I have MAC filtering on my router normally I would just enter the MAC address from the label, but if it is not printed anywhere then (unless I cancel the initial setup so that I can access the About dialog) I need to enter the router configuration using some other device, disable MAC filtering, create the connection on the Jolla, lookup on the router that device's MAC address (e.g. in DHCP table), and only then enter it and re-enable MAC filtering. Would have been so much easier if WLAN MAC was just printed somewhere like it was in case of Nokia phones...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Ketilk, naytsyrhc, BentL, Camelus

spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 03:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal, very good first impression from your side. Your opinion is that Jolla needs to work on the text under icons and add some features. Good that you mentioned that there is no ability to create folders for the applications.

Now you can also begin to work on bringing your applications to the Jolla store. It's good to read that you finally have received your Jolla.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 03:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Your opinion is that Jolla needs to work on the text under icons and add some features.

Yes, that font really needs to be improved/changed. Other texts (menus, dialogs, etc.) have perfectly smooth font, but the one for application names under icons is just TERRIBLE, probably because it is much smaller.

I wanted to upload a screenshot to show it, but on the screenshot it looks much better than on the actual screen, so I can't show it. The problem is that some vertical and horizontal lines in characters (e.g. the lower line in E) get almost invisible, so it is about proper antialiasing. I guess that the font is also generally too "thin". Whatever it is, it looks awful and ruins the otherwise great looking UI. And another thing, as I mentioned, is app icons. Of course it is a personal thing, but I just hate them. They look like 5-year's old paper-cut. Maybe a semi-transparent background for icons (like on BB10 where icons look really beautiful) would make it look better... These two things are the worst when it comes to visual appearance. Everything else is REALLY nice.

Quote:

Good that you mentioned that there is no ability to create folders for the applications.

Indeed, it's quite a drawback. I like to be able to e.g. put all games in one "Games" folder, or all GPS tools in "GPS" folder, etc. Otherwise, it gets quite messy when you have dozens of applications installed and everything has to be on one huge list.

The N9 also came without support for folders and it was added in PR1.1, so hopefully it will be the same with Sailfish OS....

Quote:

Now you can also begin to work on bringing your applications to the Jolla store.

I've just sent an email to Marc Dillon asking about when (at least roughly) they're planning to add support for paid apps and also when they are going to accept Qt Location, Positioning and Sensors, as without these modules none of my applications (except for Biorhythms) can do a thing.... If it's not going to happen soon, I will have to release my apps outside of their store...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 03:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Another observation: if you send a file via Bluetooth to the Jolla and its screen is off at the moment, it won't notify you in any way about the request to accept the incoming file. Only after I double-tapped on the screen I saw the message and accepted the transfer (otherwise it would time-out soon and the file would not be received). Other phones in such case (when the screen is disabled) notify about it with some kind of notification tone, even just a simple beep. This should be changed.

As others reported, gestures don't seem to be orientation-wise. In landscape they still work as in portrait. Quite confusing. Another thing is that almost nothing works in landscape (I mean the UI), only 3rd party applications...

Documents application... Once you launch it the only thing you can see is: "No documents yet. Pull down to add document". Pulling down does nothing, and there's no other menu or whatever else to do something Shocked

Maps application.... only shows any options but the map (Directions, What's near) AFTER location is obtained from GPS. I'm mentioning it before anyone else gets frustrated looking for them while the GPS is still waiting for fix.

And also: if you receive a file by Bluetooth, to find it then and do something with it (e.g. install an application) go to Settings / System Settings / Transfers where it will be listed. Then tap on it.

Some Android apps' tests: Angry Birds works fine. Stellarium Mobile (which works perfectly fine on BB10) just quits.

I've checked the Android runtime version: on Jolla it is Android 4.1.2 compared to 4.2.2 on BlackBerry BB10.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 09:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey Michal,

Quote:

AFTER location is obtained from GPS

Concerning this, how fast does the Jolla get its position? I mean, you emphasized the fast lock with Blackberry Z10 (because its almost always checking the position in background). Is the performance from the Jolla better than N9's or similar?
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 09:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Indeed, it's quite a drawback. I like to be able to e.g. put all games in one "Games" folder, or all GPS tools in "GPS" folder, etc. Otherwise, it gets quite messy when you have dozens of applications installed and everything has to be on one huge list.

The N9 also came without support for folders and it was added in PR1.1, so hopefully it will be the same with Sailfish OS....

Well, you said it. The N9 didn't come with folders in the first place either. But I remember that there was quite a discussion about it. AFAIR the developers didn't agree to some folders concept in the first place. The UI-Concept was this 3-slides-thing (Notifications->Menu->Tasks). Some Users requested multiple Menu-Pages or folders and the developers didn't agree, as another menu-page would have ruined the concept of swiping through these three sildes. However, the folders they introduced were a very good thing and I think it didn't break with the concept at all.

Hopefully the developers at Jolla think so now as well, as I can imagine that they didn't use folders again for similar reasons the folders were missing on the N9 in the beginning. Some "Pop-Up"-Menu is not so "Swipe-ish" Wink
argonius
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia N9

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 10:11    Post subject: Re: Got the Jolla   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
So, my continued requests were heard. I got an email from Marc Dillon yesterday that my Jolla has shipped, and today it was delivered (good job Fedex!).

Congratulations! I am still waiting for mine with Order ID in the lower hundreds, so you were heard finally.

Now, hurry up write your reviews, launch the Jolla site and get your apps ready Very Happy

Cheers
Christian
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 10:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Battery life:
after three days, maybe yesterday I could get the first somehow realistic results for battery life.
Unplugged from charger at 06:15 in the morning, phone shut off due to low battery (display showing 2% at that time) at 22:55.
That means 16 hours and 40 minutes on one battery charge cycle.
By far the most of it was just standby.

Usage adding up over the day:
- maybe 1 to 1,5 hours of web browsing,
- 3 short phone calls,
- importing one large vcf with my ~400 contacts saved from N900,
- automatic e-mail checking every 5 minutes, and I read most of my e-mails on the phone yesterday (maybe 20 minutes to half an hour spent reading)
- one jabber account online all the time
- bluetooth turned on the whole day, connection only ~0,5h while driving in the car, but including ~5minutes of bluetooth audio streaming
- GPS turned off in the settings except for ~15 minutes when I turned on the Maps application for testing purposes (on that occasion, GPS fix was quite fast (maybe 2 seconds), but I was outside at the time)
- ssh connection over Wifi established and kept alive for about 3 hours, not too much activity started this way (e.g. combining my 400 separate .vcf contact files into one large file using the terminal to make importing easier)
- Mobile connection set to "2G only" most of the day

Also important to consider: my office (most of the time spent there yesterday) has very bad mobile network reception on my network - I always had to place my N900 in one specified spot to even get any connection (even worse with most other phones I have tried - I'd get a message "6 new unanswered calls" when I left the office).
Jolla's reception seems to be really good - Display on Jolla shows at least one third of signal quality all the time, no matter where I place the phone on my desk.
But I'm quite sure this will drain battery faster then when the same usage pattern was used somewhere with perfect reception.

Sound quality on phonecall is also very good in my view.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 11:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That doesn't sound that great unfortunately. I mean, the battery life of the N9 was poor (IMHO knowing great battery life from E71 and even M600i - I know it have been other times then though Wink ).

I got about 2 days out of my N9 in the beginning with a similar usage you described above. Now I would only get 1,5 day from it so I always recharge it during night. Sometimes battery strangely drops from 20-30% to 4% and only the trick restarting BME prevents shutdown of the N9 and getting back to approx. 20% and let me use it till night before I recharge it. The other days I start recharging with about 30-40% left.

I hoped that battery life of the Jolla would be better as the display should not consume that much more power and the CPU neither, but the capacity of the battery in the Jolla phone is better than the N9s (I think it is 2100mAh vs 1450mAh, i.e. almost 1.5x the capacity).

But we have to see, if they can improve it in future updates.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 11:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc,

Quote:

Concerning this, how fast does the Jolla get its position? I mean, you emphasized the fast lock with Blackberry Z10 (because its almost always checking the position in background). Is the performance from the Jolla better than N9's or similar?

I have not inserted SIM card to the Jolla yet so it's not been able to use network-based coarse location info nor AGPS, just plain GPS. Yet still obtaining position was VERY FAST, uncomparably faster than on the N9, and that's fully indoors, without ever taking it outside. Compared to this, with the N9 I often need to move at least near the window and stand there a minute or two (or even go outside) to get location. So Jolla's GPS is definitely much faster and much more sensitive. With SIM card inserted it will probably be as good as on the Z10, i.e. instantenous.

Quote:

Hopefully the developers at Jolla think so now as well, as I can imagine that they didn't use folders again for similar reasons the folders were missing on the N9 in the beginning. Some "Pop-Up"-Menu is not so "Swipe-ish"

I really hope that they'll find a way to add folders within their UI concept. The BB10 has folders, heck, even the iPhone has folders. It is a must if one has a lot of applications installed. BB10 UI is also heavily gesture-based, yet they found a way to allow folders - easy to use and looking great.

argonius,

Quote:

Now, hurry up write your reviews, launch the Jolla site and get your apps ready

Now it will have to wait about a week. On Dec 31 Nokia stops accepting any updates to Symbian and Harmattan applications in the Ovi store and I've got several important fixes to make - with over 5000 copies sold I can't leave all users of my apps without several important fixes which I won't be able to upload after Dec 31. That's why I wanted to get the device sooner when I had time for this - now it will have to wait.

Casanunda,

Quote:

Unplugged from charger at 06:15 in the morning, phone shut off due to low battery (display showing 2% at that time) at 22:55. [...] By far the most of it was just standby.

That's really SCARY. The worst of all phones I've ever used. The Z10 (with faster processor, more RAM and higher resolution display) works two days... As I wrote yesterday, my Jolla also went down from 100% to 30% in just several hours of very LIGHT use, and without SIM card.... I really hope that the battery needs 2-3 charging cycles to obtain full capacity and it'll last much longer then...

-----

I've just updated the SDK to the latest version and deployed my Biorhythms app to the device (I started from it because it doesn't need any external dependencies unlike the rest). Installation was flawless, the application works like a charm. The only problem is that the same awful (not antialiased, hardly legible) font is used for small text as under application icons. I'll need to change it to something bigger.

Later today I'll install the remaining apps once I get familiar with the process of adding the required Qt modules (Location, Positioning, Sensors, SystemInfo, etc.) as dependencies to the yaml file.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: naytsyrhc

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 14:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I really hope that the battery needs 2-3 charging cycles to obtain full capacity and it'll last much longer then...

I hope so, too.

In addition, I hope that optimization for low power consumption will come and improve battery life in future updates.

Propably the biggest problem for Jolla was the fact that ST Ericsson on short notice stopped producing the chipset that was supposed to be powering the first Jolla phone.

So they had quite short time to optimize their OS for the new Qualcomm-based hardware.
Apparently also one reason why they had to switch to Qt5 on short notice - because they are now using Android drivers for their own phone through Wayland, which is supported only by Qt5.

I suppose quite a lot of extra development work was needed because of this switch, resulting in the current Sailfish OS version being clearly Beta.

Some speculations (don't remember where I read this) say that the devices shown on May 20th were still using the ST Ericsson SoC.

One source referring to the bad battery life and switch from STE to Qualcomm:
http://wpsailors.com/2013/12/18/jollas-battery-life-not-all-that-great -result-of-a-last-minute-soc-change/

There seems to be a long finnish article in a Finnish newspaper with more background information that is being cited a lot across the web - sorry, I don't have the link right now.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Dec.2013 16:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda wrote:

Unplugged from charger at 06:15 in the morning, phone shut off due to low battery (display showing 2% at that time) at 22:55. [...] By far the most of it was just standby.

Ehm, by most of it standby you mean the use case described in "Usage adding up over the day"? That's in my opinion the exact opposite of standby. It's looks quite resource hungry. Most of it standby is what I define as no or very little WiFi, no or a short call, no Internet or at least very little Internet, mostly being in reception to receive text messages and calls. Maybe occasionally sending a few text messages. 1-1,5 hours of web browsing is a lot compared to standby. Not sure how much energy the GPS use, but it could be quite a bit too.

I would love to see a side by side comparison of battery life jolla(with sailfishos) vs n9(with harmattan) used almsot exactly in the same way and preferably comparing standby with non-standby.

I am not doubting that Jolla's battery life is bad, but I doubt that I have tried any smartphone that is much better. I could be misunderstanding your described usage and think it's more than it is though.

Quote:
One source referring to the bad battery life and switch from STE to Qualcomm:
http://wpsailors.com/2013/12/18/jollas-battery-life-not-all-that-great -result-of-a-last-minute-soc-change/

On the other hand according to your source it looks like it could have been better if they knew about using that chip earlier, but I guess it will never be enough for our always increasing want for a powerful device.

Have you upgraded to latest version of sailfishos(1.0.1.12)? During Beta period I think it is realistic that they can improve a lot by optimizing their software stack. I would compare current sailfishos version with pre-release harmattan, mostly because they say it's beta and because of the recent change from STE to qualcomm.

I think a lot of people will benefit from an other half with a high capasity battery in it. Hope they will make one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic