MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
GeoCoder for Sailfish OS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Jan.2014 07:36    Post subject: GeoCoder for Sailfish OS   Reply with quote   

GeoCoder has been ported to Sailfish OS.

GeoCoder is an application to very quickly and easily get a lot of information about any location. Using one of the buttons located at the top of the screen (Address, Coords, Map, Here) you can select the type of information to enter based on which the program will find the requested location: address (street, city, country - or any part of it - the more data you enter the more precise location you will get), geographic coordinates (in either decimal or DMS format), select the location on a map, or simply get data for your current location obtained from GPS (the "Here" option).

For each location GeoCoder will instantly show the following information:
- precise GPS coordinates (in decimal and DMS format)
- elevation above sea level in meters and feet (precise and exact, from Google Elevation API, not from GPS)
- address
- country and country code
- state (or equivalent, e.g. Voivodeship in Poland or Land in Germany)
- county (or equivalent, e.g. Powiat in Poland or Bezirk in Germany)
- city district (for large cities)
- postal code
- road distance (in km and miles) from your location (if a fixed home location is entered in Settings then the distance is measured from that location - e.g. your home; if "Always get from GPS" is selected in Settings then the distance is measured from your current location)
- estimated travel time from your location (like above). Travel time can be shown for driving, biking or walking - selectable in Settings
- time zone of the location (name and UTC difference)
- whether summer time (DST) is currently enabled or not
- current time in that location
- sunrise & sunset times and day length
- dawn and dusk times & daylight length
- moonrise & moonset times
- current weather conditions: description, temperature, cloudiness, pressure, humidity, wind speed and direction, rain or snow in mm/hour.

In addition to the above, there are four buttons located under the text providing the following:
- a direct access to a mobile Wikipedia article about the location (with information about history, population, economy, politics, etc)
- 360° degree panorama of the location (Google static panorama API - not "walkable" like StreetView but quicker to download and use and taking much less data transfer - good to quickly check how the nearest surroundings of a location look like)
- full screen Google map + StreetView
- 10-day weather forecast from OpenWeatherMap.org

And all this just by entering location data and pressing "OK".

I haven't yet decided what to show on the Active Cover - that's the last thing remaining to do.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, BentL, spyder81, naytsyrhc, alexpain, jpi68

spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Jan.2014 22:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Good job Michal. You are doing your best to bring native applications to Sailfish. Now its up to Jolla to create the possibilities to developers. I hope they will soon release all the Qt Modules that are needed for your apps.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Jan.2014 11:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well done Michal! Thanks.
argonius
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia N9

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Jan.2014 14:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great stuff Michal! Though for me some of the screens look rather overcrowded, but that's very much personal taste I guess.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Jan.2014 18:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you guys.

spyder81 wrote:

Now its up to Jolla to create the possibilities to developers. I hope they will soon release all the Qt Modules that are needed for your apps.

Those Qt modules are available (they're not yet final and have some small issues, but what difference does it make if for now the whole system is beta anyway...). To use them it is enough to import them and add the corresponding dependencies to the .yaml file. Such applications can be distributed outside of the Jolla store already now. It's just that Jolla does not allow those modules in the Jolla store....

argonius wrote:

Though for me some of the screens look rather overcrowded, but that's very much personal taste I guess.

The screenshots are shrinked (4x smaller than in reality) so the fonts (and space between texts and everything else) looks on those screenshots much smaller than it is. Which surely adds to the 'overcrowded' impression. On the actual phone it looks much better. Here are some full size screenshots:

Text colors are also much more vivid on the phone (and thus much more distinguishable) than on screenshots - JPEG compression makes the colors look so faded on screenshots.

Indeed, there is a lot of information shown by the program, but that's actually what it is supposed to do.... I tried to use bigger font, bigger spacing between lines, and other things like that, which maybe made it look less 'dense' but IMO actually made the usage of the program worse (more scrolling needed, less data visible at once, information that now takes one line gets split into multiple lines, etc)

For different types of information the program uses different colors, and it is only a matter of getting used to it a little bit and then you can locate the information you need very quickly. After a day or two you simply remember that time zone information is green, distance/travel time info is pink, sunrise/sunset/day length is yellow, weather is blue and so on, so you 'automatically' look at what you need.

Splitting that information into multiple screens would IMO only take more time and effort to switch between them.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Jan.2014 00:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, it's the sixth or seventh Sailfish OS application I presented here, and on neither of them I got more than 2-3 comments, from the same 2-3 persons (thank you), and actually on some of them I got zero. So the situation is that for now not only it is not possible to distribute the applications (due to lack of support for the required Qt modules and for paid applications) but also no one really seems to be interested in the kind of applications I make.

Due to this, I'm switching to BB10 development, at least for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic