MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla to release Sailfish OS 1.0, soon also for Android

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Apr.2014 10:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P.S. If they at least removed that font rendering bug (that would probably take them a few hours to fix), I'd decide to sell my applications myself (I spent a lot of time on making them so at least a few people could use them and I could earn a few bucks). But with this bug not fixed I cannot do even that. It's just amazing how they prevent everyone from doing anything for their own platform.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Apr.2014 11:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The new update is out. It's called Paarlampi. It is the fifth update already.

SECURITY
Fixed OpenSSL “heartbleed” bug (CVE-2014-0160)

SETTINGS
Provides Exchange account setting for two-way contact synchronization
Option to clear learned words from text prediction database [Settings->System->Text input]
Disabled accounts now appear dimmed and non-selectable in the presence selection view
Allows enabling GPS in flight mode

CONNECTIVITY
Connection indicator in home screen now supports dual connection of WLAN and mobile data (one connection online, another ready-to-use)
Fixes issue where disabling mobile data connection mid-way through a data sync (e.g.: scheduled sync of emails, social media etc) re-activated mobile data at the next scheduled automatic sync interval specified by the user, or when a user manually triggered a new sync.

ANDROID RUNTIME
Visual indication in the launcher on android apps when Android runtime is being upgraded
Proper support of updating and uninstallation of Android apps
Swipe gestures to close and minimize apps now follow orientation of the android apps
Fixes security vulnerabilities – Android Bugs 9695860,10148349
Supports android apps that use android camera apps directly instead of the camera API
Android audio volume normalized
Supporting sending SMS via Android apps
Improved 2D/3D performance

CALENDAR
Delete all occurrences of a recurring calendar event

CAMERA
Disables swipe gesture to access camera roll while recording video
Graphics improvement to timers and shutter key

CLOCK & ALARM
Provision for the alarm to ring when the phone has shutdown in battery low condition
Tapping clock and calendar alarm dialogs now displays animation hint to use the pulleys (also in incoming call, Class 0 SMS, Supplementary Services dialogs)

VISUAL IMPROVEMENTS
Visual refresh for the preloaded Ambience photos and colors
Display page edges when moving between application pages
Haptic feedback on shutting down the phone

HOMESCREEN, LOCK SCREEN, EVENTS VIEW, NOTIFICATIONS
Plays sounds only for high priority notifications (i.e missed call, chat, SMS, MMS, voice mail and email) when the device is locked
Displays busy indicator on top of application being uninstalled or updated (same hint as when you install new app)
Flicking horizontally on lock screen now displays animation hint to unlock with a flick up (same hint as when you tap the lock screen)

VIRTUAL KEYBOARD
Plays sound feedback on interacting with keys

STORE CLIENT
Notifies Jolla about developer mode activation for the Jolla account configured on the device
Disables stepping back when the OS update download is ongoing

EMAIL
Provides ‘Create new email message’ option directly from the main view via pulley menu
Displays placeholder text for To, Cc and Bcc fields until text is entered
Improves picking recipients while composing mails

Receive photos and contacts (vCard) via MMS
Improves entering recipients on a new message

PEOPLE
Allows display/edit of ‘Title’ field in Exchange contacts
Updates context menu in contact picker to allow ‘Edit’ and ‘Add to favorites’ actions

GALLERY
Updates highlight colors of default 9 ambiance
Provides image editing view in landscape mode
Displays ambience settings immediately after creating a new ambience

THE OTHER HALF
Wakes up display when switching TOH covers
Allows configuring sound settings associated with TOH ambience

STARTUP WIZARD
Startup wizard now explicitly provides feedback when the user wants to skip creating a Jolla account

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz, horror, naytsyrhc

naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Apr.2014 12:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

They also fixed a couple of other bugs. I took a glance at the list but couldn't find one that described the font bug. But maybe it's called differently. So - Michal - maybe you give it a try. Hopefully they fixed it anyway.

Nice, that they also didn't forget about the Hearbleed bug which obviously came to their attention very shortly before the final release today (I know it's not a great thing for them to include the fix, but nevertheless, someone had to do it Wink ).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 12.Apr.2014 00:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I took a glance at the list but couldn't find one that described the font bug. But maybe it's called differently. So - Michal - maybe you give it a try. Hopefully they fixed it anyway.

I've just checked and - obviously - they did NOT fix it. Nor did this update provide ANY improvements when it comes to development of native software - still no support for paid apps, still no support for the missing Qt modules in Harbour.

The list of allowed QML imports is still PATHETICALLY short:

https://github.com/sailfish-sdk/sdk-harbour-rpmvalidator/blob/master/a llowed_qmlimports.conf

... no change for months, even though e.g. QtPositioning has become stable in Qt5.2 weeks ago.

Apparently, this is nowhere near of what they consider important. They updated the ACL and they expect everyone to use Android applications, period.

If they have time for doing as unimportant things as e.g. "Haptic feedback on shutting down the phone" or "Graphics improvement to timers and shutter key" but not for fixing the font bug (reported to them and confirmed FOUR MONTHS AGO) or adding support for the (now final) QtPositioning module then it really doesn't need any further comments. Everything is perfectly clear.

Let's see if any developers remain until their next update in May that surely won't change anything, either.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Apr.2014 15:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So... Jolla has recently updated their SDK (first time after many months), about which I've learned on Twitter because apparently it wasn't important enough for them to send an email notification to developers (unlike the "Sailfish OS for Android" about which they did email everyone).

I hoped that maybe this SDK update would address the font rendering issue, so I downloaded and installed the new version using SDK's Maintenance Tool.

As you may have guessed, the update obviously does NOT fix the font problem. Which actually didn't even surprise me.

Besides, they continue to offer SDK updates that REPLACE all components (emulator, targets, etc.) rather than just updating them. The installer simply uninstalls everything first and then installs the new version. Which means that ALL changes you've made to your SDK are completely lost on each update. All the packages missing by default from the SDK (like QtPositioning, QtLocation, QtSystemInfo, etc.) that a developer had to manually install to be able to do anything, on each such update get removed, so it takes spending an hour after each such "update" to manually reinstall them (to both targets and to the emulator separately) yet another time. What a great way of "updating" things.

And as if it wasn't enough, the SDK continues to be such a mess when it comes to those extra modules. For example, QtLocation is included in the ARM target, but not in the x86 target, and qt5-qtdeclarative-import-location (needed to use QtLocation from the QML level) is not included in any of them, and not in the emulator, either. Both QtSystemInfo and qt5-qtdeclarative-systeminfo are included in both targets, but not in the emulator. And so on. And this is exactly how it's been since the beginning, so it looks that they simply never touched that stuff.

Oh, and while the previous SDK version introduced a GUI-based yaml file editor, the new version lacks it again, only offering plain text mode editing (and even listing it as one of 'update features') - as if I couldn't use notepad for that.

An open system, which was supposed to be developer's heaven, continues to be developer's hell.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Apr.2014 16:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

.... Anyway, as Jolla stubbornly don't want to fix the font issue, the only remaining solution is to HARDCODE font family and size rather than use system/ambience defaults. This way it seems to work correctly. Funny how they dissuade everyone from hardcoding any values but at the same time actually force developers to do it.

If this attempt turns out to provide satisfactory results, I will modify my Sailfish OS apps accordingly and I will offer them for sale via Paypal.

I'm curious to see if anyone will be willing to buy them.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Apr.2014 18:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
Besides, they continue to offer SDK updates that REPLACE all components (emulator, targets, etc.) rather than just updating them

I agree that downloading completely new images for the SailfishSDK is overkill. I think they should have provided an upgrade path, and as incremental snapshots.

I use VirtualBox snapshots a lot. It's easy to rollback changes if I do a snapshot. I can make multiple independent snapshots, or nested snapshots. In one of my Virtual Machines I have 8 snapshots + current state. They are in a tree like this

Code:

snapshot 1
-snapshot 1.1
-+snapshot 1.1.1
-+-snapshot 1.1.1.1
-+snapshot 1.1.2
-+-snapshot 1.1.2.1
-+-+snapshot 1.1.2.1.1
-+-+-snapshot 1.1.2.1.1.1
-+-+-+current state

I am not saying they should make nested snapshots like that, but I do think they could have done somethhing like this:
Code:

initial wayland SDK
-update 1
-+update 2
-+-update 3

That way they you could easily revert to earlier SDK if you wanted, or extract stuff you had there before going back to the newest snapshot and doing the same there. If you planned it out in advance you could have cloned the VM before updating. I will do this when I update to the newest.

Quote:

Which means that ALL changes you've made to your SDK are completely lost on each update

I did notice the same. Well, getting a cleaner VM does help a packager to add all required build dependencies because it fails if it's not installed. Ideally the rpm-spec file should contain all dependencies. If it is generated by a yaml-file then the yaml-file should contain all dependencies. Still not very good at rpm-packaging, but I have picked up a few tricks.

I find installing stuff in the Virtual Machines rather trivial. Working with pptp I learned something about packaging.

1. ssh into virtual machine using SDK key
eg.
Code:
ssh -i ~/SailfishOS/vmshare/ssh/private_keys/engine/mersdk mersdk@localhost -p 2222

Code:

sb2 -t SailfishOS-armv7hl -R zypper install package
sb2 -t SailfishOS-i486-x86 -R zypper install package

You can always save the commands you use for future references. If you start the file you save the commands in with #!/bin/sh then it will become a shellscript, just upload it and launch it for every new install. Any line beginning with # will be ignored so use that in front of comments explaining what the commands aren't clear enough by themselves.

I often open QtCreator -> settings -> Mer to find the path to the ssh-key. I am not sure if putty support the ssh-keyfiles from qt-creator, but the regular openssh-client should work so worst case on windows just install linux in a virtual machine and copy the ssh-keys to it.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Apr.2014 20:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You're right, it's quite trivial to install stuff into the VMs, and it can even be automated. And I do it after every new update, because I have no other choice.

I'm just wondering why release every update as a new installation, removing everything and re-installing from scratch. As soon as I fine-tune everything, add all the required extra packages, change some things here and there to my liking, etc., a new update comes out and just wipes everything out, forcing me to re-do everything.

I guess that the only answer is: because that way it is easier for THEM, and they don't really care how much worse it is for developers.

And the same applies to the aforementioned mess with packages. In Harbour they've been accepting e.g. QtLocation for many months, so maybe it's time to finally include it in all VMs - both targets and the emulator. And as they also accept in Harbour QtLocation as a QML import then maybe it's time to also include qt5-qtdeclarative-import-location by default. Or if they don't want to include Location by default and prefer that the user adds it when needed, they should remove it completely. The current situation when a package is in one target but not the other, or when the main library is included but the QML import isn't, only makes a mess and is completely incomprehensible... And QtLocation is just an example; it looks the same with all the 'extra' Qt modules.

Lastly, I wonder who in his mind got the idea to remove the yaml editor that they introduced only one SDK update ago. Even if it had some bugs or issues (that I haven't noticed), it should have been FIXED rather than removed completely.

BB10, in addition to plain text mode, also has a very nice GUI for editing its bar-descriptor.xml file. Is Sailfish OS going to be "more professional" than that requiring all developers to deal with plain text only?

Anyway.... Happy Easter everyone.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Apr.2014 21:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess a link to the ReleaseNote_SDK_1404 is in order.

Quote:

Like before, in this update the build engine, emulator and targets are re-installed so you will lose all changes you may have made in those - however, if your application packaging is done correctly, rebuilding your projects should reinstall the packages you have been using.

I expected this much. I don't use QtCreator in my packaging so I will need to do it manually.

Quote:

Yaml editor removed from Qt Creator and yaml files are presented as plain text

It says it's a change, not a feature or a bug fix. Of course they could provide both, edit in GUI or edit in text-mode. I didn't like the GUI, but no need to force text mode on everyone.

Difference between install set between 486 and ARM combiler doesn't matter too much to me. What is worse is the difference between emulator and device. How much can we expect preinstalled etc.

Happy easter Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Apr.2014 22:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It says it's a change, not a feature or a bug fix.

Sure it is a change, to worse... Or, in other words, why in one version add the GUI-based yaml editor only to remove it in the very next version. And I guess it is a standard in all good IDEs to offer GUI-based editors of such files. Not every developer is so familar with stuff like adding dependencies or including custom libraries; there are people who make great applications but need a good wizard to help them with such lower-level stuff. But maybe Jolla aims at that handful of advanced developers only.

Quote:

Difference between install set between 486 and ARM combiler doesn't matter too much to me.

Well, if you don't own the device and use the emulator to develop/test your app then you need the 486 target, and you'd like it to match the ARM target because in the end you'll be building your app for the actual device... If they differ then won't know if your final build will be OK, especially if you can't test it on real hardware. For these reasons or any other, the targets should be identical. And you're right, emulator and the device should be the same, too, or else you can never know what's included in the device if you don't own it.

It is all in such a mess.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Apr.2014 00:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P.S. One more thing, have you noticed that in the last Sailfish OS update they finally enabled showing permissions upon installation of an Android app? Maybe they read what I wrote at together.jolla.com. At least now people can see what an Android app they're installing can do with their phone and interrupt installation if it requests permission to do some suspicious things... So now it finally is how it should have been from the start. Which is good.

Sadly, this is yet another time when the Android runtime gets another important update while still NOTHING is being done regarding native software.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Apr.2014 13:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Good news. 'Hardcoding' the font family (e.g. "Helvetica") seems to do the job and the font (size, letterspacing, line spacing) remains the same regardless of how an application is launched. The only remaining issues is that justification to both margins still doesn't work so longer text (e.g. in Help) cannot be nicely formatted, but that's of lesser importance. Another one is that font used used by some UI elements (e.g. in buttons, pulley menu, TextField hint, etc.) cannot be set to a fixed font family and always uses system/ambiance default, so it still changes, but these are short texts and placed within their 'containers' so it is hardly noticeable.

To sum up, using a fixed font family is a sufficient workaround for now.

As I said, it's funny how they stress that one should not hardcode any values so that the code is as flexible as possible, and that application UI should use the ambiance settings, while by not removing the font bug they force developers to use hardcoded font family and size.

Anyway, in the next few days I will update some of my applications to use the fixed font family and I will make them available for purchase here. If anyone buys them, within a week I'll finish and release all the remaining ones.

P.S. Obviously, I'll have to protect the apps somehow, so I will include an IMEI-based registration in them. I know that it is troublesome for the user, but currently there's no other choice. I was planning to use the Unique Device ID instead of IMEI but currently there is a bug which causes that all Jolla phones return the same Device ID, so it is not unique at all Cool
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Apr.2014 21:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I was planning to use the Unique Device ID instead of IMEI but currently there is a bug which causes that all Jolla phones return the same Device ID, so it is not unique at all

I don't know why but I find this really amusing.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 21.Apr.2014 01:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I don't know why but I find this really amusing.

So do I.

But it can have quite serious consequences. E.g. if a developer doesn't know about this bug and makes a "device ID" based registration in his app, he'll probably only sell one copy of it as it will be registrable on all Jolla phones.

Of course, you won't find any official information/warning about this issue.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Apr.2014 09:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A perfect example of how Jolla treats those few remaining developers who still bother to wait.

Question asked by a person named Marcin W. on Sailfish OS developer maininglist on April 17, i.e. almost a week ago:

"Is there any estimated time when paid apps will be allowed to Harbour?"

Not a word of response in six days and counting. Other topics do get answers.

https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2014-April/003982.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic