MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla partners with Rovio and Makia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Feb.2014 11:52    Post subject: Jolla partners with Rovio and Makia   Reply with quote   

http://My-MeeGo.com/?p=8192

Jolla partners with Rovio to offer Angry Birds The Other Halves

Jolla today announced the world's first brand partners for its unique The Other Half concept. Rovio's Angry Birds and Makia's clothing can soon be experienced in an unseen way through Jolla smartphones.

The Other Half is an original patented Jolla innovation, which customizes the user's smartphone in a way previously unseen. Attaching a specifically designed smart cover to a Jolla phone instantly adapts the look and feel of the phone with unique ambience, custom sounds, wallpapers, videos, partner feeds, and much more.

"The Other Half offers brands and companies a new fresh and distinctive way to deliver a co-branding experience, by making the Jolla device look, feel and sound like the brand. In addition to branded physical smartphone covers, The Other Half can be customized with various branding and direct sales elements inside the phone, through Jolla's specific partner space. With The Other Half brands they can gain prime visibility not possible with other mobile platforms, but also have an easy and distinctive interaction channel with fans," comments Sami Pienimški, Chief Marketing Officer of Jolla Ltd.

Angry Birds lands on Jolla: Rovio's globally successful Angry Birds characters will be soon made available with The Other Half smart cover for the Jolla smartphone. Jolla and Rovio have agreed to start the co-branding of an Angry Birds themed The Other Half, including e.g. visually stunning physical covers, tailor made ambiences, sounds, images, videos, and more, which are expected to become soon available for Jolla users. The final content is currently under development, and is targeted to be announced in detail during Q2/2014.

"This co-branding concept gives Rovio a new fun way to delight the fans, and to expand the Angry Birds experience in an innovative way," says Peter Vesterbacka, CMO of Rovio Ltd.

New level of brand experience with Makia's Nordic clothing line: The internationally known Finnish clothing company Makia is co-creating with Jolla unique The Other Half concept for its clothing line. By attaching the Makia designed smart cover to a Jolla phone, the user will get a full-blown Makia experience through the Jolla partner space. For Makia, the new partner space gives great possibilities to direct the Makia brand story to fans with the means of storytelling, e.g. music videos and news/event feeds, as well as visualizing the product catalogue, and addressing special offers, to name a few benefits.

"With the custom made wallpapers, ringtones and other sounds, direct online store access, photo galleries, product catalogues, and feeds to current news and events, the Makia The Other Half will be an effective marketing and sales tool for our brand, and a sought-after experience for all Makia fans," says Jarno Luotonen, Creative Director / Marketing, Makia Clothing.

Rovio Angry Birds and Makia co-branded The Other Half smart covers are showcased at the GSMA Mobile World Congress, February 24-27, 2014, Jolla booth 1B25.

Both Rovio and Makia branded smartcovers are now in development, and the aim is to have the products available during the first half of this year. Jolla now offers the co-creation opportunity for all brands and companies interested in this exclusive and new marketing and sales concept.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: naytsyrhc

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Feb.2014 12:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My short comment is that while Angry Birds or Makia TOH's will certainly be nice gimmicks for some youngsters, when ordering my Jolla I rather hoped for Jolla company to focus on and quickly offer some MORE SERIOUS and USEFUL toh-based Jolla-branded (and quality-assured) accessories like e.g. hardware keyboards, additional batteries or solar chargers. I am aware that a DYI TOH devkit is now available, but I cannot see any 3rd party willing to start mass production of such accessories. If Jolla has the resources to make Angry Birds TOH's they'd probably be able to also (or instead) offer hardware keyboards. But somehow they keep focusing on such hardly useful things like T-shirts or Angry Birds covers rather than something really useful that would give their OS and devices a much more serious opinion. Strange.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Feb.2014 15:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What the...?

Unbelievable.

Maybe Jolla thought the serious things are already covered by thos community projects (see TMO hw keyboard OH, OLED OH)... Wink
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Feb.2014 21:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Maybe Jolla thought the serious things are already covered by thos community projects (see TMO hw keyboard OH, OLED OH)...

The community has been doing a THRILLING job and all these community projects are really great. But they're just projects you can't buy, and either it will take long for any of them to be made available commercially or in many cases it won't happen at all and they'll remain just a 'technology showcase'.

Jolla somehow does not care to get full advantage of the most unique hardware feature of their platform. If they quickly released keyboards, solar chargers and things like that, it would give the platform a lot more publicity and attention in the whole smartphone world than an Angry Birds or Makia cover, which will only automatically set an Angry Birds wallpaper and some Angry Birds-themed audio files... I can easily imagine a lot of Android and iOS users getting interested in accessories like keyboards, large gamepads, etc., but I can hardly see them getting really interested in Angry Birds covers.

Also, it would be much better to be able to buy an official accessory directly from Jolla, rather than from some small garage-based company. I would not have any problems with paying with my credit card for a keyboard TOH in the Jolla store (as long as it works better than how I spent a week trying to order the phone), but I would think twice before doing it in a "shop" of some Maemo.org guy making the keyboard TOHs privately.

This plafrom needs a rich, commercial grade support to succeed, not Maemo-like small private undertakings.

Finally, I'm surprised that there is no direct control of the TOH interface from the QML/Silica level. I expected at least the most basic functions like enabling/disabling the 3,3V current supply, and some basic commands. Just like I can enable/disable and querry the GPS receiver directly from QML, I thought the same would be possible with the i2c interface of the TOH...
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Feb.2014 03:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sorry Jolla, but Angry Birds is already yesterday's app.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Feb.2014 19:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Sorry Jolla, but Angry Birds is already yesterday's app.

For me, it's not a problem of whether it is Angry Birds or some more recent best-selling game from today's Top 10 rankings. It's more about - once again (after the T-shirts, caps, and other things like that) - wasting time and resources on something both hardly useful and hardly attractive.

As I wrote, if Jolla came up with accessories like hardware keyboards, game pads, solar chargers, etc. (most of them neither much more difficult to manufacture nor much more costly than an Angry Bird cover) then it would provide them reviews in popular magazines and websites, it would capture attention of many Android and iOS users, they would certainly sell better than something that can only change a ringtone and wallpaper, and they'd make some people buy the Jolla phone in order to have such accessories. In case of an Angry bird cover, I can't imagine anyone willing to buy the Jolla for that.

Yes, they're a small company, but that's why even more they should focus on (and allocate their resources in) things that can be really useful and actively help promoting the brand rather than waste time and money on useless gimmicks...

I really hoped that I'd be able to buy a hardware keyboard TOH for my Jolla within months, but it looks that it won't happen anytime soon. After 3 months (i.e. probably 1/3rd of this phone's lifetime), Jolla's most unique hardware feature - the i2c chip - remains totally unused, except for a couple of private, hobbyistic projects.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Feb.2014 14:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think that there is even a more important thing Jolla really needs to focus on: native applications. I have read that there are more than 100 native applications in the Jolla store. That number is way to low. Jolla needs to bring the support for paid applications as soon as possible. High quality native applications is the way to go. I am not a huge fan of ACL.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 28.Feb.2014 22:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I have read that there are more than 100 native applications in the Jolla store. That number is way to low.

Not only the number is low but also their usability is quite poor. Majority of them are calculators, public transport / cinema / tv guides, some timers / countdowns, flashlights, currency converters, Internet speed testers, weather apps, and things like that. There's not even a native Angry Birds game version for Sailfish OS, despite so advertised Jolla's partnership with Rovio. Apparently, you're supposed to use the Android version instead (which is not available in the Jolla store, anyway).

And if I am not mistaken, the list of allowed Qt modules in the Jolla store still hasn't changed, so it is still not possible to release more advanced applications using e.g. QtLocation or QtPositioning.

In case of all my applications, despite having them ready, I cannot publicly release them for Sailfish OS for at least three reasons:
- no support for paid apps
- the font rendering bug (different font used when launched from an icon and when launched from the terminal)
- no support for QtLocation, QtPositioning etc. in the Harbour.

And it's been like that for 3 months already.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Saturday, 01.Mar.2014 01:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That's not so good news. There are three issues that prevent that developers can release more native applications. Jolla really needs to solve this issues. Their focus needs to go on bringing more native applications.

Still no support for Qt Location and Qt Positioning. Still no support for paid applications. No wonder that the amount of native applications is low. They primary focus needs to be to solve this issues. Three months have passed and it's quite disappointing that there is no support for paid apps. That's one of the most important things when you have serious plans to bring an OS globally. ACL is not the way to go. I wrote it several times, but again: if someone wants to have good quality Android apps, then he can get an Android phone. There is enough choice. At MWC the people of Jolla talked to much about ACL and Android apps. That's my opinion.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 01.Mar.2014 17:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Good Android compatibility is especially important given that they also plan to release Sailfish OS as a downloadable/flashable image for Android phones. I can imagine people switching from Android to Sailfish on their Android phones only if the Android compatibility is really decent (so that they can continue to normally use their favorite apps). Otherwise, I can't imagine anyone willing to replace Android with something that provides very poor Android compatibility and no native apps...
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Mar.2014 19:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Not only the number is low but also their usability is quite poor. Majority of them are calculators, public transport / cinema / tv guides, some timers / countdowns, flashlights, currency converters, Internet speed testers, weather apps, and things like that.

Most interesting apps are currently found in OpenRepos.net because of the restrictions in Jolla store.
They can easily be installed using the Warehouse app

Of course, a lot of the apps there are still beta, similar to extras-testing and extras-devel repositories on N900.

I have a lot more native apps installed than Android versions.

But of course you are right, a lot of the apps especially in Jolla store are quite similar.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 04.Mar.2014 21:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Undobtedly, the Warehouse offers much more Sailfish OS apps, and most of them of much higher quality and usability, than the Jolla store. But this only confirms that Jolla's terms are too restrictive, forcing people to release their software via other channels, unlike on all other platforms on which it is the official app store where an overwhelming majority of applications is being offered.

But even at Warehouse there's just 100-150 or so applications in total (and many of them not really applications but simple scripts, like e.g. "get root in File Manager" or "Reboot Jolla"), which is... really bad after 3 months since the phone was released and nearly half a year since the Qt5 Sailfish OS SDK was released.

Please note that OpenRepos do not impose any such restrictions as the Jolla store (unsupported Qt modules, QA rejections, etc) so the number of apps available there DIRECTLY REFLECTS the number of developers making software for this platform. And that number is REALLY POOR. There are (almost?) no new developers, only the same old Maemo/MeeGo guys who previously developed for the tablets, the N900 and the N9. And hardly anyone new. And the same for applications: besides a handful of platform-specific releases ("Kill Dalvik", "Reboot Jolla", etc.) majority of the existing stuff are simply ports of N900 / N9 applications. Nothing new whatsoever.

So... in the 3rd party software development department there has been actually no progress compared to the niche N900 from 2009. Mostly the same titles, a similar number of them, from the same developers... And unfortunately ABSOLUTELY nothing is being done to change it.

Unless Jolla finally understand that they need to ACTIVELY ATTRACT developers to this platform, it'll stay so. And the only way to attract new developers is to offer them good possibilities to make revenue. Sadly, instead of that they only keep praising Android compatibility, like in the recent press releases before the MWC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic