MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Microsoft to Rename Nokia Oyj

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Press Releases and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Apr.2014 21:54    Post subject: Microsoft to Rename Nokia Oyj   Reply with quote   

Microsoft has announced that it plans to rename Nokia Oyj to "Microsoft Mobile"

Source:
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-reportedly-plans-to-rename-nokia-oy j/

Quote:

When Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's devices and services business closes, the software giant plans to rename Nokia Oyj to Microsoft Mobile Oy, according to a letter sent to suppliers.

The new wholly-owned subsidiary will serve as Microsoft's mobile devices division, according to the letter, which informed suppliers that the terms and conditions of their contracts would not change when the deal is completed.

"Please note that upon the close of the transaction between Microsoft and Nokia, the name of Nokia Corporation/Nokia Oyj will change to Microsoft Mobile Oy," a copy of which was obtained by Nokiapoweruser.

As reflected in the comments in the news announcement, this is a short-sighted (albeit necessary) move. The Nokia brand carries a lot of weight and it would probably make more sense to license the name 'Nokia' versus trying to come up with something new.

Take this for what you will.
-DJ
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 21.Apr.2014 02:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Microsoft has announced that it plans to rename Nokia Oyj to "Microsoft Mobile"

Yeah, I got an email about it from them a couple of days ago. They kindly informed me that as an Ovi store publisher I will now have to deal with "Microsoft Mobile Oy" Twisted Evil Which makes me feel very uncomfortable as my best intention would be to have as little to do with anything called Microsoft as only possible, especially when it comes to my hard earned money about which Microsoft will surely quickly do something to pay me less, and less frequently.

Anyway, it would be really interesting to finally know what exactly remains as independent Nokia company and what exactly it will be doing, and what becomes Microsoft (which exactly services, products, people, etc.). In this mess, I don't even know if my former Nokia contacts are still Nokians or Microsofters. And I'm still not sure whose phones the new Nokia X series actually are - the new Nokia's or Microsoft's...
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Apr.2014 21:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia Maps/HERE, Nokia Networks and some parts of what's left of Nokia Research will remain Nokia + the phone factory in South Korea (which Nokia probably will sell) remains Nokia. All that's "Devices" as far as it relates to phones, will be Microsoft (including Nokia X, as far as I know).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Apr.2014 21:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Very sad. Sendo is turning in its grave seeing this.
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Apr.2014 06:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The former Nokia HQ signs have been changed to new master's name & logo: http://t.co/ob7skOfzeH
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Apr.2014 15:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Self-destruction complete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Press Releases and Announcements All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic