MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Buying an N9 - what apps are available in 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thayjeff
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Lumia 900, HTC 8S, Android

PostPosted: Wednesday, 30.Apr.2014 07:18    Post subject: Buying an N9 - what apps are available in 2014   Reply with quote   

Hey everyone,

Im about to buy a Nokia N9 and want to know what apps I can get still in 2014.

Specifically, I use Deezer music althought i really like MixRadio too. I need a good world news rss app. Are there still good native News apps available? How about native steaming music apps? Here Drive and Maps?

I trust the FB and Twitter integration is still there and not broken.

Any info you can give me would help.

Thanls
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Wednesday, 30.Apr.2014 14:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You can see what apps are available by browsing the software catalogue for MeeGo section accessible at the top of this page.

I don't know about music streaming app but a news rss app is bundled in. FB and Twitter bundled apps still work but are limited. I recommend Tweetian and a bookmark to your facebook page on the browser.

Nokia Maps and Drive still works with free maps for almost any country and is the only reason I'm still hanging on to my N9.

You should also be aware that the MeeGo Harmattan os is frozen and you'll have to live with whatever bugs there are. As for new apps don't even think of it.

Good luck with your purchase. If your app needs are modest you'll find an N9 pretty usable.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 30.Apr.2014 15:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You should install the OpenRepos app as soon as you get your N9 and you will still get some updates for existing Apps from there (e.g. Meecast). I'm not sure, but maybe there will even be a chance to get some new apps even for Meego through OpenRepos.

Besides that, the aformentioned Software Catalogue from this site is the most complete one you will find on the net. If your favourite streaming app is not listed there it's unlikely that it will ever be released for the N9.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 30.Apr.2014 17:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I just wanted to add - in case you didn't know - that Nokia (now Microsoft Mobile) has blocked the Ovi store on January 1 for all Symbian and MeeGo developers, meaning that the last new or updated application was uploaded to it on December 31, 2013. Since then, nothing new can be posted. Therefore, the only place to look for new releases and updates are now OpenRepos and individual projects on individual websites.

Regarding My-MeeGo's Software Catalogue, it hasn't been updated for a few months due to no activity of users. But if I can see that there are still people who are interested in this catalogue being continued and regularly updated, I can resume running it anytime.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

Phone: Nokia 9500, 9300, 2xE90, 2xN9 64gb/2xN9 White, 2x808, 3xOro Bk

PostPosted: Monday, 26.May.2014 18:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
You should install the OpenRepos app as soon as you get your N9 and you will still get some updates for existing Apps from there (e.g. Meecast). I'm not sure, but maybe there will even be a chance to get some new apps even for Meego through OpenRepos.

Besides that, the aformentioned Software Catalogue from this site is the most complete one you will find on the net. If your favourite streaming app is not listed there it's unlikely that it will ever be released for the N9.

I tried it, it work but is slow and sometimes give the not respnding message, it is not a replacement for the download section of this site.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 26.May.2014 19:04    Post subject: N9 in 2014, it is ok to be different   Reply with quote   

You may wonder what I use on my N9 in 2014:
Cutetube, My Explorer, Opera, Bejewelled, Monopoly and a few more.
For music on the 64gb version is perfect.
Camerapro is fun but makes images a little bit purple unless you play with the settings, if you also have an 808 Pureview you must buy this.

What I could really do with is a call log extractor that saves as txt or even PDF, if somebody does it ; I will buy it if not overpriced.

Also need an altermative to the wifi scanner toggle app on ovi store which I cannot select to buy, I neeed it for Quasar MX when using a BT headset and playing back music in apple lossless. Ideas anyone.

On the subject of Jolla, I do not like the transparency use of the UI and also have enough spare N9s not to need it. Currently stocking up on the batteries for it, lucky enough to have a offical Nokia service nearby.

Only yesterday I found someone else with a white N9.
To anyone to wants this unique device, get one now while you still can.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 26.May.2014 19:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If you know the developer of My Explorer. please ask him to fix it so that the sharing works with the apple version of SMB2 otherwise I cannot use that with OX 10.9.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Dec.2014 22:54    Post subject: Re: N9 in 2014, it is ok to be different   Reply with quote   

David Moore wrote:
You may wonder what I use on my N9 in 2014:
Cutetube, My Explorer, Opera, Bejewelled, Monopoly and a few more.
For music on the 64gb version is perfect.
Camerapro is fun but makes images a little bit purple unless you play with the settings, if you also have an 808 Pureview you must buy this.

What I could really do with is a call log extractor that saves as txt or even PDF, if somebody does it ; I will buy it if not overpriced.

Also need an altermative to the wifi scanner toggle app on ovi store which I cannot select to buy, I neeed it for Quasar MX when using a BT headset and playing back music in apple lossless. Ideas anyone.

On the subject of Jolla, I do not like the transparency use of the UI and also have enough spare N9s not to need it. Currently stocking up on the batteries for it, lucky enough to have a offical Nokia service nearby.

Only yesterday I found someone else with a white N9.
To anyone to wants this unique device, get one now while you still can.

And there we are almost at the end of 2014 - N9 still going strong and still no reason to change.

Cutetube just received updates, Cuteradio from OpenRepos I tried and like. I have both versions of Quasar MX - the original store version and the later MX Pro version.
The PRO version has some extra features but has some issues with cover art cache, otherwise very good.

Not much in the way of map updates - but that isn't causing as much trouble as you might expect, only a few new roundabouts were the device didn't expect them.

While the Joila phone didn't interest me that much - the tablet might.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 05.Dec.2014 13:00    Post subject: Re: N9 in 2014, it is ok to be different   Reply with quote   

David Moore wrote:
Not much in the way of map updates - but that isn't causing as much trouble as you might expect, only a few new roundabouts were the device didn't expect them.

If you go online in Maps and zoom into the area of interest, Maps will download the latest tiles from Nokia HERE. So it is possible to get updated maps for selected areas.

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic