MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Would you buy the Jolla today?

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy the Jolla phone today?
  Yes. It fulfills all my needs
  Yes. I believe in this project and want to support it
  No. I like Sailfish OS but I'll wait for more powerful phone
  No. I like Sailfish OS but I'm disappointed with how it is being marketed
  No. I don't like Sailfish OS
  None of the above (please explain below)
View Results
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 07.May.2014 22:42    Post subject: Would you buy the Jolla today?   Reply with quote   

Just wondering, would you guys buy the Jolla today?

Please vote, and possibly explain. If you vote 'No', please write which other phone you'd buy instead.
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 04:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I like Sailfish os but I have no confidence in the way the company is going and its ability to survive as a commercial interest.

And another thing - the Jolla is very expensive for the hardware and niche os it provides. Right now it has to appeal to geeks and enthusiasts who can look beyond the price to other factors like helping a new platform take off.
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 08:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I like Sailfish too but from the launch of the phone until now it has not its own app market and I do not want to run android apps on the phone. Moreover, time goes and phone is getting outdated quickly. Unless things changes in the next month with Ubuntu or firefox I am afraid that my next phone is going to be android. It's a pity for the phone users this situation with only android, IOS and windows phones.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 14:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm not sure. I voted Yes, because I believe in the project and want to support it. But honestly maybe I would wait today and maybe buy an android device I like and install Sailfish OS on that as soon as it is supported. I know that you Michal don't understand why somebody should do that, but if everything hardware-wise is supported, I'd do it just to not have android. Wink
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 16:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I didn't vote yet Cool both because as the one who created the poll I wanted others to vote first but also because I'm actually still hesitating which option to choose.

On one hand, I do want to support this project and I still hope that at some point they will finally start properly promoting and supporting it. That's also why I still keep running this site, and in the background I'm still working on the new site (for all Qt platforms) that I will probably launch soon, even just to see if it makes sense.

But on the other hand, with every new day my hope gets weaker and weaker, seeing how they keep passing time while maybe working hard on the system itself but not doing absolutely anything to promote it. I'm afraid that by now they've already lost all the attention they got at launch and now hardly anyone (except for that handful of owners) remembers what Jolla or Sailfish OS is. And the situation will surely get even tougher when Ubuntu or Tizen phones come out, and also if some further cheap BB10 phones come from RIM/Foxconn.

Especially if Ubuntu Phone launches commercially this year (that's what they say) and is as nice and powerful as it seems to be judging by available videos, it may turn out to be Jolla's biggest competitor, taking away from them all those for who are looking for an open Linux-based system, i.e. Jolla's strongest (if not only) advantage. And Ubuntu is much better prepared for commercial success because their mobile system will use all their existing desktop solutions, including software store with support for paid content. Ubuntu will also be much more developer-friendly because it is focused on native development.

I feel that it is the high time to give Ubuntu a try and to start porting all my applications to it. If not my current very poor financial situation, I would have already bought the Nexus 4 for it. And in respect to that, I kind of regret shelling out 414 EUR on the Jolla, as it would have been twice more than what's needed to get the Nexus for Ubuntu (and Sailfish OS, too).

I did want to support the project, but I cannot resist the impression that the support Jolla got is kind of being wasted.

Quote:

I know that you Michal don't understand why somebody should do that, but if everything hardware-wise is supported, I'd do it just to not have android.

Well, I do understand. And, as I wrote above, maybe the Nexus 4 (LG E960) is the best choice. With quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait and 2 GB RAM it is still a very powerful phone, and both Sailfish OS and Ubuntu work on it, so it gives a double choice.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Friday, 09.May.2014 05:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I voted no. Let me explain - I love the Nokia N900. The power and flexibility it had is something that will probably not be seen again for a long time in a mobile phone.

That being said, I feel the product was unfinished and it was difficult to get support for even basic functionality (i.e. MMS sending) on the device without third-party software and messing with config files.

When I moved back to Symbian, I was surprised by the # of apps (and even quality apps) available in the Ovi store. Even more so when I moved to WP, I was blown away by the top-tier support it gets.

I can't see myself going back to another unfinished product at this point in time. Maybe Jolla will survive and they may even become a key player in the market but as they stand right now, I don't think I could backwards.

-DJ
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 09.May.2014 07:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I love the Nokia N900. The power and flexibility it had is something that will probably not be seen again for a long time in a mobile phone.

I fully understand you. To be perfectly honest, I kept using the N900 long after the N9 came out, even when I already had the N950 with its beautiful (compared to the N900) screen, very good hardware keyboard and faster CPU. I kept using the N900 as my primary phone almost until I got the Z10. I can't say what exactly, but there is something about the N900 (or - more precisely - about Maemo 5) that makes it one of the best smartphone platforms ever made, despite its numerous shortcomings (e.g. lack of native MMS support or decent navigation). It's not the N900 (hardware) but the Maemo system in it. I guess it's simply because it felt like a true, miniaturized computer rather than a mobile phone. Funnily, I must say that I actually liked messing with its system files (to get the most of it and customize every single bit of it to my liking), while I actually didn't like doing it on the N950 (because of Aegis and other things). I still have those two N900s and I switch them on from time to time for purely nostalgic reasons. If the hardware didn't get that old and slow by now, I guess I wouldn't have much problems with still using Maemo 5, and the only serious problem would be the old Qt version that Nokia didn't bother to update on the N900. The biggest drawback of the N900 (that so badly affected its performance) was 256 MB of RAM causing that the device had to use swap memory almost all the time. If it had at least 512 MB (let alone 1 GB ) it would have been much faster and still quite usable, especially after overclocking to 1 GHz.

Sailfish OS is different than Maemo 5. It's much more a smartphone OS than a pocket computer OS. If I could choose between those two on a modern hardware, I'd choose Maemo 5.

As for the number of apps, that doesn't bother me too much. If I need something, in most cases I can write it myself, even quickly in a pure QML/JS. I somehow managed to happily use the N900 between 2009 and early 2013 (probably the longest of all smartphones I've ever had since the ancient 9110 Communicator) with its ~1700 apps and I never really missed anything too much... On WP8 the number and quality of apps is now indeed impressive, but the system itself and its UI are so boring and protected from any tweaks/modifications by the user that using such a phone would bore me to death. Windows Phone is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Maemo 5. The Lumia JUST works and allows running a multitude of apps, but nothing else. Even the ability to change a wallpaper comes after several years, and tweaking anything without Microsoft's permission is plainly impossible.

Having both the Lumia 920 and the Jolla, I find myself playing with the Jolla much more often than with the Lumia.

Anyway, eventually I voted "No. I like Sailfish OS but I'm disappointed with how it is being marketed". If Jolla's attitude changes I may change my decision. If not, in the best case I'll buy the Sailfish OS image for Android (if it ever comes out and fully supports all hardware), or not at all.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 09.May.2014 21:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I voted no, reluctantly. I do enjoy using the phone a lot but there is just to much missing that is necessary for a business user. Proper car integration for starters. The Android integration is allso insufficient. Not being able to easily access the google store is just inpractical as most apps are offered there. This and allso safety concerns lead me to avoid android apps.
Recently I am allso wondering if the gesture based UI is really more easy than the Ipone UI. I would be interested to hear the opinion of those who have used Jolla and BB10 on this.
Right now I would probably buy a BB10 device. But a Nokia with a large screen would also be tempting.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 09.May.2014 21:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Not being able to easily access the google store is just inpractical as most apps are offered there.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it won't happen on any "Android compatible" platform. That's because for integration of Google Play services Google charges money (not sure how much, though).

Quote:

This and allso safety concerns lead me to avoid android apps.

It's worth mentioning that the way Google Play store works does NOT guarantee security of apps distributed there. Google does not have the Nokia/RIM/Jolla etc. style QA approval process. It is possible to get potentially insecure apps published via Google Play (and it does happen). Google does not act as an agent for developers - they merely provide the payment processing system while it is the developer himself who offers/sells his apps on his own behalf and Google does not take any responsibility. Not many people know that and they think that apps downloaded from Google Play were fully tested and approved...

Quote:

Recently I am allso wondering if the gesture based UI is really more easy than the Ipone UI. I would be interested to hear the opinion of those who have used Jolla and BB10 on this.

I find BB10's gestures much more logical than Jolla's. Certain operations (like e.g. accessing the BB10 hub from anywhere) surely are much easier and quicker using gestures than if you had to do it the 'standard' way, i.e. clicking some buttons, switching between screens, etc. I love the way I can activate the Bed mode with one gesture, or on a locked and turned off display just swipe up halfway to quickly check new messages/reminders etc. and then just swipe back to the bottom to lock/turn off the screen again. These are just examples and BB10 has many other such useful gestures.

Maybe it takes getting used to in the beginning but then it becomes a natural way of using the phone. I fully got used to BB10's gestures within a couple of days, while on the Jolla I still make mistakes, so either its gestures are less intuitive or maybe it's simply because I don't use the Jolla regularly so I didn't have a chance to get used to them...

Quote:

Right now I would probably buy a BB10 device. But a Nokia with a large screen would also be tempting.

I've got both the Z10 and the Lumia 920 and I use the Z10. I'm definitely not saying that the Lumia is bad or unusable, but it surely is worse than the Z10, maybe except for the camera.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.May.2014 17:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Anything more than 4.5" or 4.7" is hard to operate on one hand.Maybe because i am asian and i have a smaller body frame.Example "stanley" measuring tape.Although it is popular here it is hard to gripe properly due to its bulky size.I guess they just make one size fits all. Laughing Laughing
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.May.2014 17:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I do rather want a pocket computer rather than a smartphone, but I am prepared to enable developer mode and use terminal to achieve that. I think having 2 GUI modes would be good, one smartphone optimized one and one mini-computer optimized.

The N9 made me reluctant to use phones without hardware keyboard, this applies to Jolla too. It would be okay if someone made an other half with an I2C keyboard and either made it compatible with an existing linux driver or wrote a linux driver for it, but I haven't seen it yet. I would also prefer that linux driver being builtin to the kernel so Jolla would have to officially support it.

I want to say yes, but as I still haven't bought Jolla and don't know when I do I can't really say yes. I still have a about a month before my 100 EUR voucher expires. Not sure if I have until the beginning of June or until the end of June though. I guess if the 100€ voucher expires then my answer will be no.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.May.2014 18:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Anything more than 4.5" or 4.7" is hard to operate on one hand.

I agree. I find the Jolla a bit hard to handle with one hand. Reaching the opposite corner with your thumb is a challenge. It is more about using a browser, then a bigger screen makes a lot of difference.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 14.May.2014 03:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Anything more than 4.5" or 4.7" is hard to operate on one hand.

True... Even the Jolla with its 4.5" screen is quite incovenient when it comes to e.g. the gesture to close an application by swiping down through the upper screen border. It's just as far as my thumb can get (and my hands aren't small) so it isn't a nice feeling, especially that Jolla's back cover is quite slippery so I'm never sure if I grab the phone good enough for such acrobatic maneuvers. Even just 0.2" more and I wouldn't be able to reach the upper screen border with one hand at all.

... and that's also why I find BB10's gesture to close/minimize an application by swiping UP through the screen's LOWER border much more intuitive, as that's exactly where my thumb is located most of the time, no need to stretch my bones to reach the OPPOSITE end...

Anyway, I still remember how everyone was making fun of people using Nokia Communicators which were commonly referred to as "bricks". Now so many people use "phablets" which are almost as big as their heads (compared to which Communicators were maybe thicker but much narrower and shorter) and it doesn't surprise anyone. The power of marketing Wink

Also, I don't really follow that craze of using huge screens but of low resolution. Makes no sense whatsoever. It is the backlight (not the number of pixels) that takes the most energy on a LCD screen, so the bigger the screen the more power it consumes (as the bigger the area has to be backlit), regardless of its resolution. I'm sure than Jolla's qHD would look much nicer at 4" or 4.2", not to even mention if it was 720p at that size. The BB Z10 has a 4.2" 720p screen and it is probably the best combination there can be (1080p would be an exaggeration with hardly noticeable benefits).

Quote:

I still have a about a month before my 100 EUR voucher expires. Not sure if I have until the beginning of June or until the end of June though. I guess if the 100€ voucher expires then my answer will be no.

That's pretty bad... 100€ is quite a sum, actually more than a half of the current price of a phone like e.g. Nexus 4... But I fully understand how tough decision it is whether to lose 100€ or not to lose it but have to additionally spend another ~300€ to get the Jolla, that's still unfinished and so poorly supported... There is an old saying that such a choice is like having to choose between plague or cholera.

Maybe you should try to contact Jolla Care (or whatever they call it) and ask them to extend the validity period of your voucher, e.g. by a further 6 months.... I think that they're NOT in position to ignore / disregard people interested in buying their phones (especially those like you who pre-booked the phone a year ago and thus supported the company with their money) and they should understand that people may have valid reasons not to be able to place their order in time, like e.g. difficult financial situation or other more important expenses at this time.... I guess it's worth trying - it's just a matter of THEIR DECISION to extend the expiration date of your voucher. They surely can do it if they only want to.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 14.May.2014 14:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Judging by the poll results, it looks that majority of users are disappointed with Jolla's inactivity. Everyone surely appreciates their efforts to improve and further develop the system but lack of any other public activity worries everyone. Even on the Devel mailinglist there is an apparent stagnation with the number of posts in May, as of the middle of month, being in the range of 10-15% of what was posted there between November and February when developers hoped that the platform would be actively promoted and supported.

Let's hope that someone at Jolla understands it and they start doing something so that the world doesn't forget about Sailfish OS for good. Even now it will be very difficult to once again attact public attention to Sailfish, and I'm afraid that in another 6 months it may be impossible. And considering that Ubuntu and Tizen phones will probably come out this year, there's really little time left to do something.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Jun.2014 20:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Check out these review comments on Jollausers..... some of them are very realistic and pretty damning Embarassed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlAVX4kR9OwsdHBJWFV0N2Q2c zlmdWVTbmtySk5jMGc#gid=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic