MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Disabling internet when travelling abroad on the E90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bliblii
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: E90, N97

PostPosted: Saturday, 02.Aug.2014 09:09    Post subject: Disabling internet when travelling abroad on the E90   Reply with quote   

I'm going abroad, and want to make sure that I don't pile up any unwanted expenses by accidentally leaving my internet on. Normally, I have whatsapp on all the time, and am not sure what kind of background processes might also be connecting to the internet.

So how do I do this? I already tried going to the menu and changed Network mode from Dual mode to GSM, but my phone still seemed quite able to access the internet through my web browser.

(Or would I be safe just by avoiding my browser and sticking to Whatsapp, where the data costs probably wouldn't be rising very high?)
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Aug.2014 03:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On S60 3rd Edition phones (which didn't have a "Mobile data on/off" setting) when going abroad and willing to be sure that nothing would ruin my budget I was simply deleting all Internet access points, including MMS. Additionally, IIRC, some S60 phones also had a setting to ask the user for permission prior to connecting, so I was also enabling it, just in case something would automatically re-create those access points.

I also disable voicemail as I don't want to pay for incoming calls which I do not want to answer (and hence they get forwarded to voice mail, which in roaming also costs money).
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Aug.2014 09:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Disabeling roaming does the trick doesnt it?
jApi NL
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
14 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia E90 , 9500

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Aug.2014 12:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is no specific setting on the E90 to diasable roaming . Even GSM mode connects to internet via GPRS .
The question is do you want to be able to make phonecalls and SMS without using the internet ? If so :
1) go into the Web(browser) and enable settings into 'allways ask' .
2) disable or uninstall Whatsapp and any other internet using application .
3) you can use maps OFFLINE by downloading needed maps through PC . Go to Maps settings : disable 'aGPS' (it costs 4kB internet use , to get a location fix , but Maps also works without aGPS)
☺ Regards jApi NL
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 05.Aug.2014 20:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Disabeling roaming does the trick doesnt it?

Sure, but only on phones which have such an option. S60 3rd Edition phones didn't have it.

As I said, simply deleting the access points is probably the safest and quickest method. They can be easily automatically re-created then - it is enough to remove the SIM card and start the phone without it, then put the SIM card back and restart the phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic