MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Instructions to backup N9 applications during install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Aug.2014 10:32    Post subject: Instructions to backup N9 applications during install   Reply with quote   

I guess it is about time to say that it is easy to backup the deb files from the N9 during install, they are deleted just after so you have to be ready. I have tried not talking much about it before because it is possible to exploit these instructions for illegal sharing, but with the risk of ovi store shutting down I think it is good to backup all installation files you want before that happens. I will not share a single deb-file I am not allowed to share and I ask you to not share any files you don't have permission to share either. Such permission can be received through a license if the application specify one, or if you ask the developers directly and receive permission. This kind of backup is perfectly legal, without asking, in my country, Norway, but I can't speak for other countries. I recommend trying with a small sized free application first in case you fail as I am not sure if commercial applications has a download limit. It is in any case boring to download/install then remove until you get it right.

I find it easiest to ssh into my N9 to copy them, but any filemanager on the phone that is efficient enough will do. You can also use any file transfer application on your computer that support scp/sftp(for windows I like WinSCP, on Linux I prefer command line ssh, but there are plenty of graphical sftp-applications to choose from too). SSH/SFTP/SCP requires ssh-server to be installed on the phone. I always enable developer-mode because it is the easiest way to install openssh-server. I don't know if it's the only way possible, but it's the only way I have tried.

I expect to reflash my N9 a few more times still so this will be the only way to keep access to any application not available on http://openrepos.net

The folder the applications are stored in, after the download is completed, is called /var/cache/apt/archives/. The Flashlight N9. has a file called /var/cache/apt/archives/theflashlight_1.0.1_armel.theflashlight . I am not sure if you can predict the filename, but if you can I guess it starts with the applicationname(*) in lowercase, so using ssh you can probably use /var/cache/apt/archives/<first-letters-of-application><tab>, although you need to not match lock or partial so you need more letters if it's called something starting with the first letters of those. Using graphical application you just need to refresh and you will understand which is right by looking at the beginning or end of filename. They are not named with .deb-extensions, but they are .deb-files. I tend to rename them replacing .applicationname with .deb for convenience.

(*)firefox has fennec as application name, not firefox so it's not always what you might think it is.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: frene, alexpain, BentL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic