MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia Maps and Drive to be supported by Nokia HERE

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts
Thanks given: 110

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 11.Nov.2014 16:24    Post subject: Nokia Maps and Drive to be supported by Nokia HERE   Reply with quote   

Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive for the Nokia N9 will be supported by Nokia HERE according to Nokia Discussions post. Excerpt:
    Important notice for HERE products
    When Microsoft bought the Devices and Services division from Nokia in the spring 2014, a Transition Service Agreement (TSA) was agreed where Microsoft committed to support the HERE owned products for 6 months from the closing of the deal, these 6 months are due on 26th October 2014 when the transition of the support from Microsoft to Nokia HERE will be completed. After this date the support for the HERE owned products will be provided by the Nokia HERE team.

Which products are supported by Nokia HERE?

HERE owns and supports the Windows Phone, Windows 8, Symbian, MeeGo and web based products. The following products will be supported by HERE:

• HERE Drive for Windows Phone 8
    • HERE Maps for Windows Phone 8
    • HERE Transit for Windows Phone 8
    • HERE City Lens for Windows Phone 8
    • Nokia City Lens for Windows Phone 7
    • Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 7
    • Nokia Maps for Windows Phone 7
    • Nokia Transport for Windows Phone 7
    • HERE Maps for Windows 8
    • HERE Maps for Nokia X
    • HERE Maps for mobile web
    • Nokia Drive for Symbian
    • Nokia Maps for Symbian
    • Nokia Public Transport for Symbian
    • Nokia Car Mode for Symbian
    • Nokia Drive for Nokia N9
    • Nokia Maps for Nokia N9
    • Nokia Nearby

For help with the above products please contact directly the Nokia HERE team at here.com/help or use the Help support link inside the app.
Whether that means updates to the downloaded offline maps remains to be seen.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: alexpain

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Mar.2015 19:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

New update of offline maps is available today according to the nokiateca blog (in Italian).

Current maps version: 0.2.50.103
New maps version: 0.2.54.223

I have just tested that the update is available for my N9. So Nokia HERE has not forgotten the MeeGo Harmattan and Symbian users. Very Happy

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Mar.2015 18:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So Nokia HERE has not forgotten the MeeGo Harmattan and Symbian users.

Unlike for Microsoft, for Nokia (the remnants of it) it is still their business to keep their maps popular and up to date...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Apr.2015 12:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia may sell its Maps business, see Bloomberg. Excerpt:
    Nokia Weighs Sale of Maps Business to Focus on Networks
    Nokia Oyj is exploring the sale of its maps business as the Finnish equipment maker focuses on boosting growth at its wireless-network unit and improving its debt rating, according to people familiar with the matter.

Nokia has reached out to potential buyers including Uber Technologies Inc., the mobile car-booking application, and private-equity firms, the people said. A group of German carmakers has also shown interest, the people said, and bids for the unit are expected as soon as this month.

The maps business, which is known as HERE, is valued at about 2 billion euros ($2.1 billion), according to Nokia’s financial reports. That suggests Nokia’s mapping assets have lost value since 2008, when the company spent $8.1 billion to buy map provider Navteq Corp.

Shares rose 5.6 percent to 7.58 euros in Helsinki, the highest close since 2011, valuing the entire company at about 28 billion euros.

The Finnish company, which is working with a financial adviser, may decide against a sale if it can’t get a price it deems sufficient, the people said. HERE reported full-year sales of 970 million euros and an operating loss of 1.24 billion euros, including a goodwill impairment of 1.21 billion euros, according to the annual report. In January, Nokia projected rising sales for its maps and patents divisions for 2015.

Alcatel-Lucent
    Proceeds from a sale of HERE could be used for acquisitions to build Nokia’s network business, including the long-mooted takeover of part of French rival Alcatel-Lucent SA, according to Sebastien Sztabowicz, an analyst at Kepler Cheuvreux in Paris.

“We believe a sale of the mapping business could give further credibility to the scenario of an offer on Alcatel-Lucent’s wireless access business,” Sztabowicz wrote in a note to clients.

Alcatel shares closed up 4.8 percent at 3.83 euros, valuing the Paris-based company at about 10.8 billion euros.

Junk Status
    Nokia Chief Executive Officer Rajeev Suri is seeking to reduce the company’s debt and boost its rating from junk status. The company’s map business provides data to Amazon.com Inc., Microsoft Corp., Yahoo! Inc. and four out of five car-navigation systems.

Representatives for Espoo, Finland-based Nokia and Uber declined to comment. Spokesmen for German carmakers Daimler AG and BMW AG also declined to comment, and a representative for Volkswagen AG didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Last year, Nokia named Sean Fernback to head the maps business. Fernback, who joined Nokia from Dutch navigation-device maker TomTom NV, replaced Michael Halbherr, who left the company after disagreeing over the unit’s strategy with CEO Suri, people familiar with the matter said at the time. There was internal debate over whether the unit should focus on automotive and enterprise clients or also continue to target consumers, the people said.

Nokia has three businesses left after it sold its phone-unit to Microsoft for about $7.5 billion: the networks division, which makes up about 90 percent of total revenue, its maps business, and a research and development unit which is responsible for licensing its patents. In January the company reported fourth-quarter net income of 443 million euros, and sales that rose 9.4 percent to 3.8 billion euros.
--
Bent Laursen
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Apr.2015 21:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My heart wants this business to stay in Europe meaning that some automotive company buys it. However, this means that their mobile apps will be second class.

My brain says that Microsoft will buy Here maps because they have to. They just spent $2.1 billion on a stupid computer game so why wouldn't they buy Here maps for about the same.

Unfortunately, another business to the US because of the greed and shortsightedness of European shareholders.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Apr.2015 23:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Unfortunately, another business to the US because of the greed and shortsightedness of European shareholders.

For your information, MeowTseDong, shares of european companies are not restricted to Europeans, anyone can buy shares of publicly traded companies. Russians, Saudi's, Chinese, who ever wants to buy such stock. Recently an Tech company called Informatica was taken private, partly by a pension fund from Cananda. So this idea that these kind of transactions are the result of the foolishness of shareholders from any part of the world is nonsense.

The buying of (parts of) companies is not very different from the buying of other assets. If a car dealer buys a car it is because he thinks he can sell it for a better price. Same thing with companies. And if you sell something it is because you don't want it any more, or you prefer the money you get to the asset. Simple.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Apr.2015 00:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Kleuter wrote:
[...]

For your information, MeowTseDong, shares of european companies are not restricted to Europeans, anyone can buy shares of publicly traded companies. Russians, Saudi's, Chinese, who ever wants to buy such stock. Recently an Tech company called Informatica was taken private, partly by a pension fund from Cananda. So this idea that these kind of transactions are the result of the foolishness of shareholders from any part of the world is nonsense.

The buying of (parts of) companies is not very different from the buying of other assets. If a car dealer buys a car it is because he thinks he can sell it for a better price. Same thing with companies. And if you sell something it is because you don't want it any more, or you prefer the money you get to the asset. Simple.

You are very naive and if you don't there is nationalism in the mix and only money, then you are mistaken. The devil is hidden in the details. So, what I didn't clarified was the job loss, meaning that the jobs are moved from Europe to elsewhere to countries that have much protective laws.

I have several examples of this for example you didn't know that it is very difficult to sack people in Japan (yes, even more difficult than in Germany). If a Japanese company buys a European one, they will first sack the Europeans because it is simpler. The net effect is job loss in Europe first. People are naive that it is "only money talks", but it's never that simple.

If you look at the healthiest companies and the ones that are profitable during a long time, then you should look at the private ones.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Apr.2015 10:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It is actually quite surprising that Microsoft hasn't even been mentioned as a potential buyer.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Apr.2015 19:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
It is actually quite surprising that Microsoft hasn't even been mentioned as a potential buyer.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/might-microsoft-buy-here-maps-this-time-i f-nokia-sells-it/

Microsoft is certainly interested in buying Here maps and I also think they will. I think they are quiet as long as they can in order not to inflate the price. Strike that, Microsoft kept quiet about they wanted to buy Nokia devices & services for four years until the got out of the closet, even if it was obvious for everyone else.
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Apr.2015 03:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As far as I know, Nokia wanted to sell HERE to MSFT with the Devices division, but MSFT didn't want to buy, and Nokia caved and kept it. If they now want to buy, it is probably because Nokia is no longer asking for too high a price (given the original acquisition price and costs since then, I suspect maps hasn't been a very profitable endeavour for Nokia).
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Apr.2015 16:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia is reviewing its HERE business, see press release. Excerpt:
    Nokia has initiated a review of strategic options for its HERE business
    Espoo, Finland - Nokia today announces that it has initiated a review of strategic options, including a potential divestment, for its HERE business. HERE is a leader in navigation, mapping and location intelligence.

Nokia today also announced a proposed combination with Alcatel-Lucent. The Board of Directors of Nokia believes this is the right moment to assess the position of HERE within the proposed new Nokia business.

The strategic review of HERE is on-going and it may or may not result in any transaction. Any further announcements about HERE will be made as appropriate.
--
Bent Laursen
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Apr.2015 21:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

More importantly they have bought Alcatel-Lucent. Whatever else happens follows from this merger.
They will be the largest supplier of telecom systems with a turnover of €25,9 bln. Surpassing Ericson and Huawei
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Apr.2015 23:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I consider this move by Nokia, buying ACL a large and an expensive step in the wrong direction. Basically, this buy up is about patents and shutting down a competitors while cherry picking the good parts. About 7000 people work at ACL and sacking a large part of them is going to be very costly and the risk is for Nokia is that they end up with a large unprofitable organization. So what happens now is that Nokia will promise too much towards the state of France.

The competitors of Nokia will definitely become more competitive by this as they will become slimmer and more profitable than Nokia.

NSN was doing well and this move was not needed and I'm not sure this merger will pay off.

EDIT: 7000 people in France that is.
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Thursday, 16.Apr.2015 08:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ACL total is 52 600 employees worldwide, so if 7 000 are in France, there's plenty to sack in other countries (and in Nokia there's about 61 000 employees to potentially sack, too).

So, the merger seems to be about much more than just any ACL patents, if they're also getting tens of thousands of employees, a whole bunch of customers, factories, etc.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Thursday, 16.Apr.2015 17:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Unfortunately for Nokia, the maps division is not a profit-maker. There is no revenue stream as the maps (and software) are provided at no cost. Any licensing fees would be scant as both Google and Apple have multiple mapping solutions, and Windows Phone has the HERE suite essentially royalty-free.

Customer goodwill is often seen as the least important aspect of the bottom-line so while the notion of free/updated maps is a nice one - it's just not practical or sustainable as a business model.

I would like to see HERE remain as an updated product as it is a very capable navigation solution (IMO the best one) regardless of who buys it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic