MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Now Jolla claims, "Something BIG is about to begin"

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Nov.2014 17:56    Post subject: Now Jolla claims, "Something BIG is about to begin"   Reply with quote   

Somehow we heard such slogans quite some often the last weeks. I'm sorry, that now it's me again having this word "BIG" in Topic-Text.

But Jolla now has a countdown on their homepage jolla.com saying that in

04 Days 18 Hours 09 Minutes 26 Seconds

something big is about to begin.

The Background image shows something that looks like the corner of a smartphone or tablet.

I'm wondering what they are up to? Do they announce a new device? Will they announce the partnership with some other manufacturer? Or do they just release the latest Sailfish OS update in almost 5 days with support for all QT modules in store and payment support?

We'll see...
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Nov.2014 18:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

For all, that do not read the ironic part: I doubt they will announce a sailfish update Wink
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Nov.2014 19:01    Post subject: A successor?   Reply with quote   

Looks like a new, and (considerably) bigger, phone. That would bring them nicely in time for Christmas. With a new release of the OS of course.

A tablet I doubt, would have a limited market potential and still leave them with a completely outdated primary product.

If they are able to bring a successor in time for Christmas that would ad to their credibility I think.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Nov.2014 23:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Maybe is Jolla announcing a new phone and support for paid applications. The last option would be about time to release.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Saturday, 15.Nov.2014 22:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I hope for their sake it is a new hardware phone and not some "the other half" addon.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 16.Nov.2014 18:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I will not buy any new phone from Jolla until they prove that they start treating their platform seriously. I already spent 414 Euros on a device that was meant to be used for development and which has been catching dust on a shelf for nearly a year now - the worst spent money in my life. And this phone is just unsellable now. I just can't afford buying another phone, no matter how good it is, that will just increase the dust-catching area. I make software, so I need a phone that can be used for development.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 11:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It is a tablet.

Quote:

Besides running its own native apps, Sailfish OS has the capability to run Android apps. You can continue using your favourite apps like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as downloading all the latest ones via the Jolla Store and other Android app marketplaces. If an app doesn’t exist, you can always make it.

It seems like they still want to rely on android apps Sad No surprise, but I would really hope they could start adressing the issue. A compatibility layer can be no better than the original standard, the native jolla applications can go way beyond regarding integration.

I am kind of worried about battery life, how long is it usable between each charging? How power efficient is the intel processor? I feel the x86(_64) architecture means faster performance when it is running at expense of battery life while idle. I am not sure intel platform is a good idea for a tablet. The architecture also means that applications need to target both ARM(for phone) and x86_64(for tablet) if you want both.

I think the indiegogo is the best site to read about specs and such as jolla focus so much on unnecessary visual design on their own, which I find disturbing.

It is cheaper than the Jolla phone though, I guess that is one of the better aspects of it.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 11:48    Post subject: It's a tablet...   Reply with quote   

Ok. Now we know it. It's a tablet. A tablet they want to get crowd-founded. Specs look ok for the price and the design is nice. But nothing really special. Except that it's a tablet with Sailfish OS. They say it runs Sailfish OS 2.0 and that they want to release it in May. So Hopefully by then we have Sailfish 2.0 on our Jollas as well. Hope that they address all the issues...
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The only reason to buy this tablet is to port Android on it but then again there are so many Android tablets to choose from so why would anyone bother?

Last edited by SamKB on Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 15:18; edited 1 time in total
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Why would you port Android on it? Aren't there better Tablets out there already running native android? I'd say the only reason would be, because it has Sailfish on it. That was the reason for the Jolla phone for me. To have something that is not Android.

So hopefully they really make a big step away from Android with upcoming/announce Sailfish OS 2.0 in order to correct the mistakes they made so far (see all the comments from Michal in other posts).

I really like the crowdfunding idea behind this and Jolla already asks the community for features for the new tablet on together.jolla.com. So they communicate and show their openess. I really hope they will continue to work like this and also improve on this for the existing Jolla phone.

Because if they'll do that, I think there is still a great chance and potential in Sailfish.
horror
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: 1+2, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch)

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Potential for what? To have Sailfish device to run android apps on it? Come on...
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, most of the apps I use on a daily basis are all sailfish native apps. I am able to sync my calendar with my owncloud service and am able to connect to my companies VPN with a native OpenVPN client. I can use my keepass passwort file with a native keepass client. I can control my MPC player with a native client and am able to track my sporting activities. I really use the android compatibility layer mostly for playing some games (e.g. Chess) and an online ticket app from my city's public transport. So in total I use about 6 android apps and about 20 native sailfish apps on a regular basis. I agree to a lot of arguments from Michal and I don't say that Jolla treats native development as they should, but in total I think the Jolla is a very useable phone and it was much more useable from day one compared to the first Apple iPhone. And the first iPhone started this whole process that brought us to the current situation. So IMHO there is still a chance and potential, yes.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

And not to forget: I have a shell Very Happy
horror
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: 1+2, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch)

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If we are going on this level of comparison it much more usable from my G1 long time ago. Wink For most of my daily tasks jolla suits me also quite well, except some issues with my exchange mail.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 12:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Between the Jolla tablet and the Nokia N1 I would choose the Jolla Tablet.

A question regarding Sailfish, does it have true proper multitasking and not some idiotic multitasking like Android or Windows Phone where apps are suspended when the screen is off. Symbian has proper multitasking which also shows that you can have great battery life without suspending tasks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic