MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Qt for Windows Phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Monday, 01.Dec.2014 22:55    Post subject: Qt for Windows Phone   Reply with quote   

What is the status of Qt for Windows Phone right now. I've seen it for Windows desktop and RT but is it in working condition for Windows Phone?

Also, if it works porting the apps to Windows Phone would you port your applications to Windows Phone.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Dec.2014 18:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

From what I can see on the release announcements I think Qt5.3 is first version with WinRT support and 5.4 is better. Think maybe 5.3 is experimental and 5.4 the support is official.

Some information at Qt-project: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/winrt-support.html

Tutorial here: http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2014/05/20/qt-weekly-11-getting-started- with-winrt-2/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Dec.2014 21:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

AFAIK there is no Windows Phone release. If there was one, I'd port my apps only if Microsoft allowed such Qt-based apps in their app store, as otherwise there would be no way to distribute them...
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Dec.2014 22:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I saw the Windows Phone support here:

http://www.qt.io/download/

They call it the "Indie Mobile" distribution which is a 20€ monthly distribution. I guess Digia wants to improve their economy by trying to selling the mobile development kit. I wonder what will happen to the LPGL versions in the future, if they are going to move away from it or not. Otherwise wxWidgets will become much more popular again.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Dec.2014 22:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hmmmm.... that's interesting. Not for me, anyway, unless such apps can be distributed in the Microsoft app store.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Dec.2014 23:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

MeowTseDong wrote:
I saw the Windows Phone support here:

http://www.qt.io/download/

They call it the "Indie Mobile" distribution which is a 20€ monthly distribution. I guess Digia wants to improve their economy by trying to selling the mobile development kit. I wonder what will happen to the LPGL versions in the future, if they are going to move away from it or not. Otherwise wxWidgets will become much more popular again.

They can't take away the free version of Qt. If they do then KDE will be allowed to release Qt under BSD or other opensource licenses because of this agreement. A move like that will likely kill the potential for Qt to receive funding from their proprietary version so it is not something they want to do except if the owner of Qt(digia or potential buyers) decide to do something stupid. I do not doubt that the commercial effort has helped qt grow as great as it is.

If you have windows then you can try compiling some example code and see how it works, my impression was that it was possible under the free qt version, although I it it is probably not as easy as with the commercial version as you have to configure qtcreator to export a visual studio project file, and then launch visual studio to compile for WinRT/WP etc.

EDIT: It is possible I am wrong and that the free version doesn't support WinRT/WP though.

EDIT2: Fixed typo in URI

Last edited by Ketilk on Wednesday, 03.Dec.2014 00:12; edited 1 time in total
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Dec.2014 23:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That was the GPL version though which has been around for a long time since Trolltech. The LGPL was initiated by Nokia that wanted to muscle Qt into a standard library. Without Nokia behind them, Digia needs money and therefore they might stop releasing LGPL versions in future versions while keeping the GPL version like the Trolltech days.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Dec.2014 00:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Digia aren't allowed to do that.
Quote:

The Foundation has a license agreement with Digia and Nokia. This agreement ensures that the Qt will continue to be available under both the LGPL 2.1 and the GPL 3. Should Digia discontinue the development of the Qt Free Edition under these licenses, then the Foundation has the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license or under other open source licenses. The agreement stays valid in case of a buy-out, a merger or bankruptcy.

It explicitly mentions LGPL2.1 and GPL 3. However, if Jolla is allowed to make a proprietary module for silica, then I guess Digia is allowed to make additions not available in the free edition too. If the scope is to replace the free standard modules hten I think it comes into play though. I think they easily are allowed to make WinRT support only available in proprietary modules though.

This agreement is not revokable without having KDE agree.

Quote:
The board of the Foundation consists of two members from Digia and two members from KDE e.V. Decisions of the Foundation are taken by vote of the board members. In case of a tie the votes of the KDE representatives decide.

If digia goes bankrupt, or is sell the Qt division or anything else happen then that still won't affect the power this board has, except maybe who controls the two seats currently hold by digia members. It is the KDE seats that win if there is conflict though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic