MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
official Jolla batteries in Jolla store

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 09.Dec.2014 14:56    Post subject: official Jolla batteries in Jolla store   Reply with quote   

starting today, Jolla will
Quote:
bring a limited batch of official Jolla batteries on sale to the Jolla Official Online Shop (ships to the EU, Norway and Switzerland only).

source:
https://together.jolla.com/question/69955/official-announcement-batter ies-available-tuesday-9th-of-december-2014-1200-utc/

costs: 25€ including shipping.

I wonder how large a "limited batch" is?
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 09.Dec.2014 15:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

...apparently not very large. - "out of stock".

Jolla store is looking a bit ridiculous right now - almost everything out of stock...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 09.Dec.2014 18:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

almost everything out of stock

Whole Jolla. But Kleuter will say that they know what they're doing and it's part of a well thought-out plan Wink

Quote:

I wonder how large a "limited batch" is?

I wouldn't be surprised if those batteries were taken from faulty phones. There's always some amount of broken devices (e.g. screen with bad pixels, microphone not working, etc.) in every batch of phones, let's say 0,5% - 1%. If batteries in those phones were OK, this may be where this "limited batch" originates from.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Tuesday, 09.Dec.2014 20:02    Post subject: Very annoying, this.   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But Kleuter will say that they know what they're doing and it's part of a well thought-out plan Wink

Hahaha, I actually think so, by their marketing department Mad . Can't imagine anyone really thought there would be no demand for this.
Ridiculous, to offer a phone whith a removable battery and not to offer surplus batteries. This supposed to be some kind of teaser or so?!?
This is really pure contempt of their supporters Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 10.Dec.2014 19:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The batteries are no longer listed in their store. So that 'limited batch' must have been indeed just a 'handful'. I guess I was right thinking that they originated from broken devices.

This really isn't serious to only offer a few batteries after one year.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Wednesday, 10.Dec.2014 22:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess it is more important after 2-3 years. If they plan to sell new devices at some point I really hope they will use the same kind of battery and will order extra batteries for sale separately, which is compatible with both the new and the old phone. Doesn't have to be exactly the same, if it works equally good(e.g. higher capacity, or longer lasting, but still compatible)
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 10.Dec.2014 22:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I guess it is more important after 2-3 years.

Not really. When I was more active in the past (spending more time away from home or any electricity sources) it was a MUST for me to have a spare battery that I could quickly replace when the phone was running out of power. I couldn't imagine an all-day mountain trip without a spare battery, especially if I was using phone's GPS and a lot.

With Jolla it is not possible, because the only option is to send the phone to them and get the battery replaced under warranty, which maybe gives you a new battery but still only ONE.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 11.Dec.2014 03:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

How do you charge the one that's not in a phone?
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Thursday, 11.Dec.2014 10:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
When I was more active in the past (spending more time away from home or any electricity sources) it was a MUST for me to have a spare battery that I could quickly replace when the phone was running out of power.

But nowadays there are several very cheap (and mobile, i.e. small/lightweight) external high capacity batteries available that can be used to fully charge the phone at least 2 or 3 times without recharging that external battery. So maybe the demands changed.

Nevertheless I also think there should be a spare battery available in store. It should be one with a higher capacity as well.

I checked the store on December 9th at about 16h and those available batteries have been out of stock at that time. So they had either a real run on that batteries and sold thousands in only 4 hours or it is as Michal suggested: they only had a few from broken devices. Maybe some hundred or so.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Thursday, 11.Dec.2014 19:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Maybe some hundred or so.

So many broken devices?? Shocked
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Friday, 12.Dec.2014 00:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, 0.5%-1% (as Michal guessed) for let's say 100000 devices is 500-1000 devices. Yes, so many...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 12.Dec.2014 00:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

How do you charge the one that's not in a phone?

There are dedicated chargers (well, not for the Jolla), universal chargers, you can charge both in the phone (one after another) and then just keep the spare one until you need it (Lithium batteries discharge very slowly when not used)... there are lots of possibilities.

Quote:

But nowadays there are several very cheap (and mobile, i.e. small/lightweight) external high capacity batteries available

Yes, but they are still much larger and heavier than just a battery, and you can't just put such a 'power bank' inside the phone and normally use it but you need to keep it connected via USB until the phone's battery charges from it. Not very convenient when you're hiking and frequently using the phone for mapping/routing. A spare battery is MUCH more useful in such case.

I love mountains, I go there every year and I make all-day trips. I use applications like OziExplorer or Androzic with very detailed scanned maps containing all hiking trails (with walk times), so that I can know not only where exactly I am but also how much time I need to reach another waypoint or the destination, and then safely return before it gets dark. GPS and maps drain battery quickly, so I can't imagine not having a spare one, nor can I imagine having to use such a "Power bank" with the phone - two devices connected with a cable would be really a pain to use. I already have a large and quite heavy backpack on by back, dSLR camera on my neck, walking sticks in both hands.... quite enough Very Happy

Quote:

So many broken devices??

If they sold let's say ~40.000 then one hundred devices returned or rejected by their QC would not be bad at all. It's just 0,25%
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 12.Dec.2014 03:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

How about making an other half that help charge the phone? Instead of swapping batteries by taking off the other half, change battery and reboot it again, it would be much more convenient to have a device that can handle swapping of batteries without turning it off. Making a TOH device also ensures that you can use any battery out there if you are able to supply 4.3-5V(5V recommended) and up to 1000ma, assuming it does not generate too much heat. If heat is a problem then I guess adding some ventilation/isolation/ventilation toward the phone, and a metal backplate(acting as a heatsink) is a good idea. Can make a real beast out of it I guess.

This other half could also allow hotswap of batteries I guess, ability to change battery without taking of the part that connects the two, or use magnets to keep the battery part of it attached.

There are so many things we can do, and Dirk is rather good at describing things on his blog on http://funkyotherhalf.com/
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 12.Dec.2014 10:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That's a great idea. And should be quite easy to create.

But my problem is: I have a couple of ideas for apps and a couple of ideas for TOHs. The only thing that I don't have is time. Thus I always hope someone else will come up with the same ideas and I can then buy it.

But unfortunately those available TOH to buy are quite rare and actually there is only Dirk who offers any...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 12.Dec.2014 19:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Great idea, but of course someone else would need to make them as Jolla is not interested. Funny how the whole design of this phone (the two halves) was created around the TOH concept and it was also (next to Android compatibility) the most promoted feature of the phone, only to end up with absolutely no official TOH accessories from the manufacturer.

P.S. Does the tablet have the TOH feature and connector? Imagine how many great uses it could have with tablet's huge back side area... If it is not present on the tablet, it means that they don't have any clear vision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic