MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
E-mail issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nostalgic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: E5-00, N81

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16.Dec.2014 19:52    Post subject: E-mail issues   Reply with quote   

Hello symbian community,

Does anyone here know how to keep E-mail functioning on a Nokia E5-00? Mine no longer gets access to mail servers, probably since SSL encryption was required in spring/summer 2014. Neither pop3 nor imap works with SSL settings. I love this phone and would really love to keep it working - everything else (including internet access) runs just perfectly.

It may be a certificate issue (initially got error messages on missing certificates).

Any helpful suggestions/ideas highly welcome!
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16.Dec.2014 23:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't know this symbian device, but I know some things about email.

Have you checked the port setting? Imap usually provide SSL on port 993, and starttls on port 143. SSL on port 143 will probably fail, and starttls will probably fail on port 993. Likewise with pop, listens to starttls on port 110, and ssl on port 995.

So your options are:
IMAP SSL port 993
POP SSL port 995
IMAP starttls port 143
POP starttls port 110

For outgoing email it usually is limited to starttls port 587 for authenticated email.
nostalgic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Dec.2014 15:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks Ketilk, but I did test all of these port settings - without success, unfortunately.

By the way, I also had Profimail installed (the free test version), also without success.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 07:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Is it a well known large email provider, or is it a smaller one so it can't be disclosed? Gmail support SSL, but does not support starttls. Gmail only listen to port 993.

Which settings exist in the email clients available on the phone? Can you find advanced settings? Does it offer the option of both SSL and starttls? Does it support multiple login methods like plain/login/cleartext/cram-md5/GSSAPI etc?

If you have a desktop email client available it can usually query the server to say which methods it support. It is important to note which port it support, and which out of starttls and ssl it support. Also a good idea to check the login method. The server and the phone must support the same technologies for it to work.

You can also find out if the server support starttls by connecting with a telnet client to port 143. Starttls start out unencrypted, but then gets upgraded to TLS. While you can't use starttls with telnet, you can find out if it support it. You can usually see if you have command line telnet installed by opening command prompt and write telnet imap.domain.com 143. Any telnet client will do. Putty is a ssh/telnet client, it defaults to ssh, so you need to ensure it says telnet before clicking connect.

Usually writing a CAPABILITY after connecting to the port using telnet will ask the server what it supports and then it will respond whether login is disabled, which imap protocol it support and whether starttls is available. Telnet never works if the server listens for SSL-connections only. Gmail does not respond to this command however.

If you have openssl s_client installed, then you can test both ssl and starttls with commands such as these:
openssl s_client -connect imap.domain.com:143 -starttls imap
openssl s_client -connect imap.gmail.com:993

Both give you the opportunity to say a CAPABILITY afterwards.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: nostalgic

nostalgic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 18:12    Post subject: Thanks again, Ketilk, but ....   Reply with quote   

Many thanks again, Ketilk, but I am afraid these settings are not the problem. The device (E5-00) enables advanced settings (both ssl and starttsl, as well as manual port settings) and I used exactly the same settings that work perfectly on other devices (and tried a few more, in addition). My two E-mail providers are pretty much standard and their settings are easy to find.

Again, my feeling is that there may be a certification issue that came up with the end of symbian support and the switch to compulsory ssl settings.
Laotzu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia E5

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Apr.2016 13:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Gday Newbie - You might never see this message two years on, but I am curious to know if you had any success with your Nokia E5?
I have encountered the same problem with my two beloved Nokia E5s on two independent servers in New Zealand --- everything works fine except emails - in my case, Outlook.com. Fair winds.
nostalgic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Apr.2016 14:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hello Laotzu,
quite a surprise that someone is still following this (seems that Symbian is dead, unfortunately).
Good news is: My beloved E5 is up and running (including E-mails), I finally had found a solution, but this is probably country-specific.
The problem was indeed due to missing and/or outdated certificates and I had foudn a site where I could download valid certificates for the relevant German providers.
So you will need to look around and and try to find certificates for NZ. Have a look here, too:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/symbian_cert_import.html#Import_ro ot_cert_Symbian

I don't remember the exact procedure but probably have installed new root certificates plus something for German providers (but do not remember where I got these from, unfortunately).
File names were: dt-root-ca-1.cer and TeleSec_ServerPass_DE-1.cer

I also found a Nokia-specific installation file called networking_improvements.SIS

Goodluck with trying!

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Laotzu

Laotzu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Apr.2016 22:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Gday Nostalgic -
Thanks for the details on your success with the Nokia E5!
I appreciate the pointers and I travel hopefully.......
I am much more optimistic now you have confirmed your problem was certificates-related.
I will post again if I am successful in finding relevant certificates.
I'm sure there are others who'd would like to keep these great classics in play.
Fair winds
Len, Mercury Bay, New Zealand.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 28.Apr.2016 14:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The networking improvements mentioned above is for SHA2 support in order to access some sites, and can be downloaded from:

http://dl.nokia.com/ns/symfix/networking_improvements.SIS

See also Microsoft Community.

--
Bent Laursen
symbian60
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: STA8

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Jun.2016 13:36    Post subject: Email problems with Nokia E72   Reply with quote   

nostalgic wrote:
Hello Laotzu,
quite a surprise that someone is still following this (seems that Symbian is dead, unfortunately).
Good news is: My beloved E5 is up and running (including E-mails), I finally had found a solution, but this is probably country-specific.
The problem was indeed due to missing and/or outdated certificates and I had foudn a site where I could download valid certificates for the relevant German providers.
So you will need to look around and and try to find certificates for NZ. Have a look here, too:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/symbian_cert_import.html#Import_ro ot_cert_Symbian

I don't remember the exact procedure but probably have installed new root certificates plus something for German providers (but do not remember where I got these from, unfortunately).
File names were: dt-root-ca-1.cer and TeleSec_ServerPass_DE-1.cer

I also found a Nokia-specific installation file called networking_improvements.SIS

Goodluck with trying!

I have the same problems with my E72 using Hotmail/Live.de Email accounts. I tried the Nokia-specific installation file "networking_improvements.SIS" but it won´t work on the E72. (with date 12.02.2014)"online certifacte check dismissed" or with actual date (12.06.2016) "abgelaufenes Zertifikat/no actual certificate".
Softwareversion: 091.003
Date of softwareversion: 03 April 2012
Sonderversion: 091.003.C00.01
Modell: 72-1
last actualisation: 22.11.2010

Any hints to solve the problem?
symbian60
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: STA8

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Jun.2016 14:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Typ: RM-530
Laotzu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Jun.2016 14:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Gday - I got no help from Microsoft or Vodafone who supplied my E-5 here in New Zealand, other than to be told it is no longer compatible with current email security systems, so I have conceded defeat.
I still use the phone for its other splendid attributes but do not have the technical skill to go further into the email problems. I would still like to hear from anyone who has had more success in this part of the world. Fair winds, Len.
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 24

Phone: 700 4eva

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jun.2016 06:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Perhaps an alternative email client could help? Try ProfiMail (it's free) or something like that.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Laotzu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic