MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla Launcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 28.Jun.2014 18:31    Post subject: Jolla Launcher   Reply with quote   

While Jolla has no time (or will) to do anything about finally enabling normal native software development for their platform (after 7 months there is still no support for paid apps, and the list of Qt modules in Jolla Harbour still excludes majority of Qt modules, making it impossible to release via the Jolla store anything more advanced than a currency converter, even for free -- which makes Jolla THE ONLY MOBILE PLATFORM ON EARTH that heavily restricts developing and distributing native applications), they've just shown us what they've been spending their precious time on: the Jolla Launcher for Android.

What is the Jolla Launcher? Basically, it is an Android application for Android that mimics the look and feel of (some small part of) Sailfish OS and allows to launch and switch between Android apps.

OK, it does serve some purpose: it allows an Android user to try how Sailfish OS works and looks like (of course, only the UI - and only the four main screens of it, it does not have Sailfish OS applications, terminal, file system, etc.). So we can say that it can help PROMOTE the Sailfish OS among existing Android users, a kind of interactive demo. An alpha release of Sailfish OS (the full real OS, not just the launcher) for Nexus 4 has also been made available recently, so soon Android users will be able to install it -- if they want it, that is.

But the question is: WHAT is there to promote, and WHY would an Android user ever want to switch (for good, not just for a couple of days) to Sailfish OS in its current shape. As I mentioned above, after 7 months there are still no native applications for Sailfish OS (but a handful of pretty simple ones). And, what's much worse, Jolla still shows no signs of ANY INTEREST in finally making native development possible. Months have passed and no one talks about enabling paid applications in the store, and the list of allowed Qt imports has not been updated since JANUARY, still EXCLUDING all the BASIC modules like QtPositioning, Location, Bluetooth, SystemInfo, etc. without which one cannot do anything.

So, even if an Android user likes the look and feel of the Launcher and wants to try Sailfish OS, what does he get? He gets a system that allows merely.... running ANDROID apps, as native apps simply DON'T EXIST and won't appear ANYTIME SOON, if ever (as majority of developers who wanted to support Sailfish OS already gave up after 7 months of waiting for even just CONFIRMATION that this platform will EVER properly support development of native software). So the question is: what sane person will replace Android with Sailfish OS only to run THE SAME Android apps that he could run directly on Android - faster and better (let's not forget that Sailfish OS' Android runtime is still just Android 4.1 compatible, and even that not fully and excluding certain APIs). In other words, by switching from Android to Sailfish, such an Android user will not only be able to run only THE SAME Android apps as on Android, but only a FRACTION of them. The funniest thing is that the Jolla Launcher requires Android 4.3, while Sailfish OS itself is only Android 4.1 compatible.

So it's like if a Windows user switched to some Linux distro ONLY TO run (part of) Windows applications in WINE.

----

I really don't know what to say about this company. They do good things (the system itself is really great, and the Launcher is also a nice idea) BUT THEY DO EVERYTHING IN A COMPLETELY WRONG ORDER. Since the beginning they've been focusing on things of little or no importance (at this point), while completely ignoring what EVERY OTHER mobile OS maker always starts from: building own, strong native ecosystem -- which in case of Jolla after SEVEN MONTHS still DOES NOT EXIST at all. It's not just "weak" - it just doesn't exist.

And it's not that they "do little" to support native development due to "being a small company". Recently I've browsed messages on e.g. their Twitter and Facebook accounts for the past half a year, and in that OCEAN of completely worthless things they've been tweeting or retweeting I haven't found even just A SINGLE call / invitation to DEVELOP native apps for Sailfish OS. Not a single one. So it's like a PLANNED strategy.

If they started from enabling normal support for native applications (paid apps, important Qt modules allowed, etc) like ANY OTHER mobile OS maker, all those Qt developers formerly making apps for Symbian and MeeGo who since January haven't been able to submit anything new to the Nokia Store would have ported ALL their Symbian/MeeGo apps to Jolla long ago, which would have resulted in THOUSANDS of native applications being available for Sailfish OS by now. Developers need to do it FOR LIVING, so be sure they would have done it if they only COULD, as they no longer can make money in the Nokia Store and porting Qt apps to Jolla is easier and quicker than to any other platform (BB10 and its very different Cascades included).

By disallowing normal development and distribution of software, Jolla not only ended up with some 150-200 (rather than several thousand) native applications (and most of them really poor) but also by now simply SCARED AWAY majority of those who wanted to develop for their system, as no one can wait eternally to even just BE TOLD if this platform is ever going to properly support native apps. Those people moved away to other platforms and got busy with making apps for them, so there are poor chances that they will ever come back. Especially that Jolla *STILL* doesn't do (or even just talk about) absolutely anything to build and support native ecosystem, and also that Ubuntu Touch and Tizen are right around the corner.

Never in my life I've seen any other company behaving so IRRATIONALLY. Even Nokia with all their silly mistakes (which killed it in the end) didn't come close.

P.S. Jolla also continues to do that annoying thing of "sign up for tests of the Launcher, we MAY select you for alpha tests, or if we don't then we MAY select you later for beta tests, or we may not - if you can't download the Launcher then it means you were not selected, better luck next time", which only results in many people's disappointment that they haven't been chosen. They behave like if they had 50% marketshare (i.e. millions of users to choose from) and years of time ahead to play such hide and seek games, continuously disappointing even that HANDFUL of users they have (but the few really fanatic ones).

Stunning.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jun.2014 09:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I can understand the appeal of launching an app to have a way of getting people to try the UI without having to invest in a Jolla phone. But it probably also tels us that they do not hit their sales targets.

Apparently it is cheaper for them to invest in marketing in this way than in another..... but it remains to be seen if it will go any further then the people who already know about Jolla.

I wonder if their actions could be explained by the interests of their investors who may want a stable and somewhat proven platform that they can tie into their own services offering and may be less interested in the ecosystem that, as they are Chinese investors, may be far away from their target market.

They do invest in improving their platform with their monthly releases. The launcher may be a first step to be able to tie android devices into an alternative services platform.

But then again, this is all speculation. They are very secretive, basicly not telling anything about their plans and progress.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jun.2014 17:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

All is great: monthly updates are great, the launcher is great. It's just that without any native software it's all of little use, because without any native apps the whole platform is actually just a launcher for Android apps...

What I've been failing to understand for so many months is that adding even just a couple of the most important Qt modules and support for paid apps in the store would actually be a TRIVIAL job compared to everything else they do. Even just those few basic modules which for several months have been final/stable in Qt5.2 would make a fundamental difference when it comes to being able to release in the Jolla store much more complex native apps. And if implementing some kind of content-protection in the store is tough, support for paid apps could OBVIOUSLY be initially introduced WITHOUT copy-protection (and in such form it would only require adding credit card payment processing), which could be added at some later time. As I said many times, as huge app store as the Nokia Store never had any kind of copy-protection for Maemo or Harmattan, yet surely it was better that way than no support for paid apps at all...

The most bizarre thing about Jolla is that they DO NOTHING when it comes to native development. It's not that they are slow or lazy, it's that they LITERALLY DO NOTHING AT ALL in this regard. It's THE ONLY mobile platform vendor on Earth that not only doesn't support paid apps and so heavily restricts development of native apps by not allowing majority of Qt modules in their app store (which could still be explained by lack of time) but they also NEVER called/invited to develop for their system. As I wrote, just take a look at their Twitter or Facebook accounts, or at their own together.jolla.com portal, or anywhere else, and try to find ANY messages over the past 7 months inviting/encouraging anyone to develop for Sailfish OS.... you won't find anything because they NEVER did. So it's like they actually DIDN'T WANT to build their own native ecosystem - something completely unprecedented.

When I was writing similar things in January or February, people might have been saying "Come on, it's been only a few weeks since the release, wait a bit more and it'll come". But now it's been SEVEN MONTHS and still ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been done. Not even a symbolic gesture. For any Qt developer, seeing the list of QML imports allowed in the Jolla store (not updated since January) is a SHOCKING EXPERIENCE, completely discouraging from doing anything for this platform.

So I really fail to comprehend what this company REALLY tries to achieve and what are their true goals. I'm starting to think that their REAL goal is to ONLY deliver an Android replacement for some Chinese vendors, meant to ONLY replace Android OS on their handsets and remain compatible with Android apps - and NOTHING MORE than that. Only this can explain the TOTAL LACK OF INTEREST in building native Sailfish OS ecosystem.

If it turns out to be true then all those who supported Jolla (by buying their heavily overpriced low-end phone and wasting many months on porting Qt apps to their OS, which then they could never release) will be just cheated, abused and mislead, because they all were led to believe that it was going to be a standalone, independent and fully functional OS, and not just a deal with some Chinese smartphone vendor in which the existing Jolla user base was just a bunch of guinea pigs needed to show that the OS can work in real-life conditions on a real hardware, and there will be no future genuine Jolla phones and no one will ever care to build native Sailfish OS ecosystem because the platform is meant to only replace Android in China and be compatible with it. If so, it will be the biggest smartphone SCAM of the century.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: horror

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jun.2014 21:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I agree, that could be a plausible hypothesis.

Chinese industry (or some individual producers) want to reduce its reliance on foreign owned and controllend phone OS-es. From a strategic standpoint or because the Chinese government wants more control (or less NSA control). All major OS-es now are controlled by US companies, and the dominant HW producer working on its own OS is Korean, so China has little or no control and is dependent. Google banned Ali Baba from doing a customized and locked down Android phone. There is no telling how far Google will go in limiting its partners from customising the UI and thus tying Android to their own services platforms.

So they back a start-up spun off from Nokia who have exeptional expertise in developing and bringing a phone (OS and hardware) to maket and want to use an open source OS without ties to any major company. Then they force Jolla to focus on its OS and UI engageing the geek community in (mostly) Europe to act as paying alpha and beta testers to perfect it, exploiting the prejudice toward open source in this community.

Last edited by Kleuter on Sunday, 29.Jun.2014 21:31; edited 1 time in total
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.Jun.2014 01:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Unfortunately, that's exactly how it looks. Those Chinese partner(s) may NOT WANT the platform to have its own strong ecosystem (mostly Europe-based, and thus not controllable by them) so it is being intentionally restricted as much as possible.

Only that can logically explain why Jolla does absolutely nothing about proper support for development of native apps, about support for paid apps, and they don't even talk publicly about developing for their system: not a single call for developers, no developer devices, not a single contest, not even a simple tweet like "Be #unlike, develop great native apps for the Jolla!", no retweets by Jolla about native apps being released. Nothing in 7 months now. Such a thing cannot be explained by just the company being small and poor - Jolla's Twitter guy (or lady) produces such an unbelievable amount of completely useless stuff each day that (s)he could surely find time to even just tweet "Develop for our great OS!" once a week, if they only really WANTED it. Apparenty, they simply DON'T - there's no other valid explanation. And if so then obviously there must be some reasons behind it.

It could have been explained by slowness, laziness, choosing wrong priorities, not understanding the business, and so on, a MONTH after release, maybe TWO, maybe even THREE. But *SEVEN MONTHS* past launch and still NOTHING (null, zero, nil) being done (or even TALKED) about development of native apps (except for that devel mailinglist which looks like kind of GHETTO - hidden from the world, not advertised anywhere, and probably intentionally chosen to be a mailinglist rather than a forum or other similar web based resource so that only a handful of geeks find and use it -- show me any other OS maker which only - if at all - uses a mailinglist for developer contact) simply cannot be explained in any other way but INTENTIONAL. And if so, then this system clearly ISN'T meant to be an normal mobile OS for common use (or else it would need native apps just like any other) but a product custom made for a specific business that apparently DOES NOT WANT it to have native apps (because, for example, they only want to launch their own app store with selected Android apps for it).

Anyway, as I wrote, if this whole thing turns out to be an OS made exclusively for some Chinese smartphone vendor(s)/maker(s) and all those who bought that extremely overpriced phone (in order to support the company and development of the OS) turn out to be just GUINEA PIGS then it'll be the biggest scam (and fraud) of the century in this industry, not any less shocking than the Elop affair.

I hope that Jolla quickly proves me wrong -- there's really just a few weeks left until I get rid of that phone and forget about this whole miserable story. Everytime I remind myself how much time I've wasted porting all my applications to their system (first to Qt4.8/WVGA, then again to Qt5/nHD) only to still not be able to release any of them after FIFTEEN MONTHS, I want to grab that damn thing, throw it against the wall and watch the pieces (especially that magnificent and highly functional The Other Half) falling apart. The only thing that stops me (so far) is that I was stupid enough to pay 414 Euros for it and maybe I can find someone as stupid as me willing to pay me at least half of it.
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Monday, 30.Jun.2014 09:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
I'm starting to think that their REAL goal is to ONLY deliver an Android replacement for some Chinese vendors, meant to ONLY replace Android OS on their handsets and remain compatible with Android apps - and NOTHING MORE than that. Only this can explain the TOTAL LACK OF INTEREST in building native Sailfish OS ecosystem.

This notion that Jolla is developing an Android compatible replacement for Chinese vendors does not hold any water as Android is ALREADY OPEN SOURCE. To be compatible with Google services vendors need to pay a fee to Google for Google proprietary modules. In China there are many vendors using the open source code to produce forked versions of Android without Google compatibility but will run most Android apps. Compatibility with Google services is usually achievable with a simple hack. So why would any vendor need to commission Sailfish as an Android compatible replacement os as the open source code is already free for the taking?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.Jun.2014 11:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So why would any vendor need to commission Sailfish as an Android compatible replacement os as the open source code is already free for the taking?

Same way we could ask why any other systems exist or are being created right now, if open source code for Android is available and anyone can use it for free. Why billions of dollars had been invested in development of BB10, why Ubuntu is being created from scratch, why Samsung wastes time and money with Tizen, and so on.

Apparently, there are some valid reasons which make companies create their own platforms rather than just use free open source Android, which would surely be a cheaper and quicker solution, but apparently not delivering/ensuring something that for those companies is worth spending years and lots of money instead...

One of the reasons may be that a lot of people already got bored with Android - its dull look, its poor performance on average hardware, etc. Some people even buy Windows Phone just to have something different than Android. And there surely are other reasons.

Android maybe is open source, but it doesn't have a foreseeable and certain future for those who build their own platforms based on it. I mean, Google is in charge anyway. At any point they can completely change most the APIs in new OS versions, close certain parts of future releases of the OS, or do whatever else they want. In other words, using such forked versions is good if you want it for a SHORT-LIVED and/or ONE-SHOT product, not for a series of products to support over years or decades in which the manufacturer needs to be 100% certain that he will be able to use upcoming OS versions which will remain compatible with the 'proper' Android and 3rd party software for it. For that, an OWN platform is much more secure.

And even if Android remains fully open source and free, updating such forked versions to follow all Android updates apparently isn't that easy, quick and inexpensive considering that majority of Android-based devices on the market are still Android 4.3 or below, with updates either coming very rarely or often not at all (like e.g. many SonyEricsson Android phones which ended up with ancient Android 2.x). So maybe it would be much easier to update just the Android runtime (Alien Dalvik etc.) in an own OS like Sailfish or Tizen, without having to modify anything in the host OS itself, rather than having to update the whole Android-forked OS.

Anyway, we know that Jolla had a large Chinese or Taiwanese investor. Remind yourself how they bragged about getting 200 million Euros funding last autumn. Why would have a Chinese company invested 200 million Euros in Jolla if they weren't interested in their OS and - as you wrote - preferred to use the open source Android for free?

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Monday, 30.Jun.2014 18:49; edited 2 times in total
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.Jun.2014 18:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Big question still is: why don't they put any effort in enabling payed apps? Even seem to be discouraging them.
Apparently they do not see value in that and prefer to put their effort in improving the UI.
What could be the reasons for that?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.Jun.2014 19:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

why don't they put any effort in enabling payed apps? Even seem to be discouraging them.

Apparently they do not see value in that and prefer to put their effort in improving the UI.

What could be the reasons for that?

I doubt that it is about "not seeing value in PAID apps". It is obvious for every OS vendor that possibility to sell applications attracts developers more than anything else, for obvious reasons (another thing that also attracts developers is possibility to include paid ads in free apps, but they don't support that, either).

I would rather think that they don't see value in having ANY APPS (by not enabling all those missing Qt modules they discourage and prevent everyone from actually making ANY apps for their platform; distributing apps via Warehouse-like repos or individual websites is good for individuals, geeks, not for serious developer companies, it's obvious that no known, serious company will make apps for Jolla only to have to distribute them via... some unofficial Warehouse repo because of nearly all Qt modules not being allowed in Harbour) - but that can be explained only as written earlier, i.e. that Jolla's goals are entirely different than what we all thought.

I mean, for any NORMAL system availability of apps is crucial. Having lots of native apps (rather than not having them) has obvious advantages, while it does not have any disadvantages. Unless... the system is meant to be used by someone who wants to fully control it, including apps available for it.

P.S. In case of Jolla availability of native apps should (logically) be even more important, as only native apps can use Sailfish OS' unique features (which once were so much advertised and meant to distinguish this platform from any other) like Active Covers or advanced TOH accessories. Android apps don't even multitask on Sailfish OS as for now.

P.S.2 The biggest problem with Jolla is that they don't communicate with users and developers when it comes to any important matters. They say a lot of completely unimportant things, but whenever an important information is requested they're totally mute. The best example is that for 7 months there has been no single official statement regarding paid apps (even in the together.jolla.com thread which they created themselves in December they didn't bother to post any update since then - despite it being 33rd out of nearly 10,000 when it comes to users' votes) and that there is no way to get ANY information from them regarding their plans to add those missing Qt modules. Not even a word of information. Quite bizarre for a company that initially advertised itself as tightly tied to the community, open and collaborative.

But that's probably also intentional - not to say anything that they would have a problem with denying / withdrawing from later.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Jul.2014 01:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla Launcher can already be downloaded from Android warez sites...
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Jul.2014 23:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal, the following comment came from Jolla:

Ahoy!!!

We see the payment support in store as a really important part of our developer offering. We are currently working to support payments in our Jolla Store and Harbour but there are a lot of things for us to do. Our current target is to provide you the monetizing possibility durign the 2nd half of 2014.

In the mean time, you have time to get your apps ready, tested and polished. Also, let us know what additional APIs you need for your Harbour app so that by the time payments are available, your app is ready to sail.

Br,
Jolla Store team
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 12.Jul.2014 03:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Michal, the following comment came from Jolla

That comment is very old. It was posted on the Jolla mailinglist in April (i.e. almost three months ago), in response to post of a person who criticized lack of any information.

https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2014-April/004063.html

Since then, they didn't say a word, again.

In January 2014 I was told (by the very same person who posted that comment) exactly the same thing, with the only difference being that support for payments in the store would come in.... spring 2014.

So just like in January they were promising to offer support for paid apps in Spring and then they didn't do absolutely anything about it, I won't hold my breath for their another promise given in April, if since April they didn't mention it ever again. It looks that they talk about it only when forced, and in such case they give some distant date which they then don't keep.

If for so many months they can't even just add support for the most basic Qt modules (like e.g. QtPositioning) to the Harbour, adding support for paid apps sounds like mission impossible.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.Dec.2014 19:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Where is the launcher?. I couldn't find it. All I found in play store is angry bird stellar launcher from jolla. When is the real jolla launcher?.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic