MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia's results

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Currently: Nokia Lumia 930, previously: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i

PostPosted: Saturday, 31.Jan.2015 00:54    Post subject: Nokia's results   Reply with quote   

http://news360.com/digestarticle/ypmExAJGOU6iyje1AFYTJw

Anyways, happy with my Nokia Lumia 930 over here... Wink
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Saturday, 31.Jan.2015 13:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

How do you like your 930 compared to an iPhone? I am considering the 930 myself as my next phone after my Jolla. But I see all my collegues unboxing nice new shiny golden iPhones around mee Wink so I am starting to doubt my slight preference for WP.....

It appears to be a good choice of them to get out of the phone business. And it gave Finland lots of start-ups:

BBC News - Finnish phoenix: The start-ups rising from Nokia's ashes http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31044810
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

Phone: Currently: Nokia Lumia 930, previously: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i

PostPosted: Saturday, 31.Jan.2015 18:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have been using many phones, including iPhones. Last one was iP5. All others are in my Profile description.

Well, Lumia 930 is better than iPhone 5+because:

1. It has much better battery
2. It is faster.
3. It has better camera, Carl Zeiss that is.
4. Much more flexibility of the UI.

To the favour of iP I should mention AppStore, but WP's is catching up and It basically has all i need.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Kleuter

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Feb.2015 02:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm so glad that 2 years ago I bought the Z10 and since then I no longer have to make choices between such dumb OSes as iOS or WP. My next device will be BB10, too - no other platform comes close to it.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Feb.2015 02:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm so glad that 2 years ago I bought the Z10 and since then I no longer have to make choices between such dumb OSes as iOS or WP. My next device will be BB10, too - no other platform comes close to it.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Feb.2015 12:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes BB is nice, but I have my doubts on the Passport and their full touch phone is rather old. I should probably allso have bought the BB in stead of the Jolla.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Feb.2015 15:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You're right, it's really strange that BlackBerry hasn't updated the full touch range for so long. It's the most popular form factor and it would surely give them a lot of new users.

On the other hand, to be honest, for an existing user like me there's actually no need to upgrade to a new model at this time. The Z10 is probably the first phone that I've *EVER* owned which after 2 years of use didn't start feeling old or slow, at all. Amazingly, today it feels just as fast as when I bought it in early 2013. So while the Passport's tech specs do impress (2.3 GHz quad-core CPU, 3 GB RAM), in terms of real use the Z10 still provides 100% smooth experience. Moreover, it is still fully supported in terms of OS updates - for several months I've been using leaked 10.3.1 OS on it and the official update will come out in February, so there's nothing that could make it obsolete.

If my Z10 broke today, an hour later I'd order another Z10, especially that they're so cheap now. So maybe I should actually be happy that there's no new model yet - no reason for a costly, hardly needed expense.

P.S. As for Nokia results - apparently Nokia was profitable only until they switched to WP, and now they're profitable again only after they no longer have anything to do with WP. This shows perfectly clearly, not for the first time, that it's not possible for ANY company to cooperate with Microsoft, because Microsoft always fully benefits from it and that other company always dies.
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Feb.2015 16:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Indeed, i cannot imagine Michal either on iOS Or WP... Smile

As said a while ago, my friend has major problems with battery life on his Z10. It seems like he is not alone: https://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/BlackBerry-Z10- Battery-Life-Infinite-Problem/td-p/2793705

As for Nokia's fate and MS intervention. I believe It is all about making money in todays world...
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Feb.2015 19:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have a Nokia 930 and the hardware is nice. The display is very nice, it's quite fluid and the camera is pretty good. However, I don't like Windows Phone to be honest. I find too limited and annoying. There are too many lacking features that I need so Windows Phone cannot become that power OS that Symbian, BB10 or even Android is.

It doesn't have USB internet connection for my laptop which I must have. It doesn't have USB OTG, HDMI, no file manager. The list just go on and everyday I find something new to become upset about. What Windows Phone is very good at is to annoy me all the time that I should use their damn cloud service so I've tried to set all the "sharing" options off, which are a lot of switches. Despite of that get notifications that I should upload my data to their servers. I don't want their cloud service, I want my privacy.

So, I think I'm going to shelf the 930 for now and get a Blackberry Passport. BB10 is really the best OS I found so far. It does everything. I'm might come back to the 930 if Microsoft get their act together with Windows 10 but I'm skeptical.
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Feb.2015 19:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Indeed, all depends on the needs.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Feb.2015 11:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

As for Nokia's fate and MS intervention. I believe It is all about making money in todays world...

Drugs are about making money, too. It's not an excuse, whatsoever.

Quote:

As said a while ago, my friend has major problems with battery life on his Z10.

The Z10 isn't *ANY* worse when it comes to power consumption than any other existing smartphone based on any other platform. Maybe your friend should simply buy a new battery? That's what I did a few weeks ago (genuine Z10 batteries can now be bought as cheaply as $10 and I got a bundle with an original Blackberry's portable charger not much bigger than the battery itself and also serving as a power bank - for less than $25) and battery life instantly DOUBLED. The 2 years old one was simply worn out. I get around 2 days now and I can't complain about it.

Additionally, BB10.3.1 update to come out officially within a week or two brings great power saving features, like automatic power saving mode, manually activated one (flip the phone display down when not using it for a while to reduce CPU clock and temporarily disable other selectable features like e.g. Bluetooth, mobile data, etc) and generally improved power efficiency.

Quote:

BB10 is really the best OS I found so far.

That's VERY true. This OS is really a SOPHISTICATED one, yet at the same time beatiful, easy to use and powerful. I'm going to stick to BB10 for years as nothing else comes close.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 08.Feb.2015 07:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It doesn't have USB internet connection for my laptop which I must have. It doesn't have USB OTG, HDMI, no file manager. The list just go on and everyday I find something new to become upset about. What Windows Phone is very good at is to annoy me all the time that I should use their damn cloud service so I've tried to set all the "sharing" options off, which are a lot of switches. Despite of that get notifications that I should upload my data to their servers. I don't want their cloud service, I want my privacy.

Minor corrections - it does have a file manager which provides access to the MTP data on the internal storage (same as you see when you connect to the PC) as well as full access to SD cards (N/A on the 930).

I was concerned about privacy as well when I first purchased a Lumia but the benefits of the cloud outweigh the negatives. That being said, I would never entrust a company with my personal information whose entire business model relies on marketing and advertising (cough...Google...cough).

While USB-OTG is not built into the current stack, it could be added going forward so if there is demand, I can see it appearing at some point. Definitely would be nice to have. As far as tethering to a PC apparently it is possible depending on the device but takes some trickery to get working. I read reports of people have success with the Samsung ATIV S but did not see anything about Lumias.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Sunday, 08.Feb.2015 12:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

dannycamps wrote:
Minor corrections - it does have a file manager which provides access to the MTP data on the internal storage (same as you see when you connect to the PC) as well as full access to SD cards (N/A on the 930).

I was concerned about privacy as well when I first purchased a Lumia but the benefits of the cloud outweigh the negatives. That being said, I would never entrust a company with my personal information whose entire business model relies on marketing and advertising (cough...Google...cough).

While USB-OTG is not built into the current stack, it could be added going forward so if there is demand, I can see it appearing at some point. Definitely would be nice to have. As far as tethering to a PC apparently it is possible depending on the device but takes some trickery to get working. I read reports of people have success with the Samsung ATIV S but did not see anything about Lumias.

You try to make the flaws I brought up positive. I know you can connect Windows Phone to to your PC as an MTP device but still Windows Phone lack a file manager. I happy that Windows Phone works for you but Windows Phone is not for me and I stay away from Google as well as I know that they also collect data about their users.

USB-OTG might turn up in the future? Well, I'm not going to sit around and wait. Mind you, Windows Phone over 4 years old now and it still cannot take advantage of all the modern features that the HW platforms provide.

There are so many things that I don't like with Windows Phone and everyday I find new things to get upset about. For example with BB10 when you are watching a youtube clip in the browser. You can then minimize the browser and you still can listen on it. It's called multitasking. On Windows Phone the youtube video stops and even on some sites it resets the video so that you have start all over again after you minimize the browser.

I bought my Nokia 930 with an open mind but so far the Microsoft OS has been all ill will.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Feb.2015 07:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

You try to make the flaws I brought up positive.

For years we've had to listen to Apple fans (even on this very forum) spout rhetoric like "If I don't need/use x feature, it's not important that the device doesn't have it". I assure you, I am not one of those people. I know the value of functionality and I won't sit here and proclaim that a platform is the greatest thing since sliced bread just because it's the one I use.

What I will say is that WP has worked well for me. I am a .NET software developer by trade entrenched in a MS-centric work environment. My home PCs are all running at least Windows 8. For me, the Synergy of the platform and cloud makes my life easier.

I fully understand that it's not for everyone and believe me - I have used just about every major phone OS in some way or another. My favorite in terms of sheer power and flexibility is Maemo. My favorite in terms of 'feature-completeness' is Symbian Belle. My favorite in terms of a 'modern' OS is WP. Everyone has their own preference.
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Feb.2015 20:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Indeed. It also changes with age, in my case. Smile

And as for making choices on purchases based on companies fairness - but how far can it go? It is true that it is well covered for MS. But how about other products? Are u checking everything this way? Meat? Cars? Clothes?

Re my friends problems with battery - he has a little time to bother unfortunately
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic