MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
New N9 has old version on it

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Mar.2015 02:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The latest news is that the update has been pulled, due to performance issues on the Z10 and Q10.

I've been using 10.3.1 for months (now the official version and earlier several leaked versions) and I've never had any issues with them. But maybe it's because what really matters to me is stability, security, functionality, etc., and I don't even notice as unimportant things as a few frames dropped in some UI transition.

I guess that the only problem is that people are too capricious these days. For majority, the EYE CANDY matters the most. Everything needs to be smooth as butter, dancing and singing, even at the cost of actual functionality. Some idiotic transparencies or transitions are more important to majority than advanced funtionality, security, etc. People would sacrifice multitasking for some additional transparencies or smoother UI animations.

The simple and obvious fact is that the Z10 (and not much less the Z30 or the Q10) are *OLD*. The Z10 is more than 2 years old, the Z30 or the Q10 are 1,5 years old. People should actually appreciate that Blackberry still provide full, unrestricted OS updates for the old phones, instead of complaining. It is silly to expect that the massive 10.3.x update will work as smooth on the 2 years old Z10 as on the new and much faster Passport that the OS 10.3 was originally made for. What do people expect, that the Z10 will magically squeeze out more power from itself under 10.3.1 to be as smooth as the Passport with its 2.3 GHz quad-core CPU and 3 GB RAM vs. Z10's 1.5 GHz dual-core and 2 GB RAM? It's undoable, obviously.

Therefore, I'd say that there is no problem with the OS itself, but only with people's unrealistic expectations that the Z10 will remain smooth forever, probably even under OS 10.9 in 2020.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ABCDKE

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Mar.2015 04:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The odd thing is that some people (including yourself obviously) have had little to no problems with the update, while others have experienced serious issues - the latter may be due to too many side loaded apps or some sort of conflict somewhere. Anyway, Blackberry are currently not allowing updates on phones bought directly from them, so they are taking the matter seriously. Many people received the official update only last month, so it was a long time coming. It may be a while before they fix whatever is wrong. And maybe some things can't be fixed, who knows....

Anyway, it's possible that the phone itself may not allow an update. I'll just have to wait and see - it should be delivered early next week and I can't wait! Very Happy
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Mar.2015 16:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There are multiple versions of the Z10 (and probably the Q10, too): STL100-1, -2, -3, -4. They have different chipsets (Qualcomm, OMAP, ...) and therefore both a different CPU and a different GPU. They have slightly different performance, some of them don't support LTE, etc. So maybe there are some issues on e.g. STL100-1 (TI OMAP 4470 / PowerVR SGX 544) but not on e.g. STL100-2 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8960 / Adreno 225).... I've got STL100-2 and - as I wrote - I don't have absolutely any issues, neither now on the official release nor on two or three leaked pre-release version I've used before.

If you get the STL100-2, I'd say go an get the update and just see if it works well for you. Especially that it will be a fresh and clean phone, so there certainly won't be any conflicts with any user-installed stuff. Besides, as far as I know, you can always downgrade.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ABCDKE

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Mar.2015 20:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Interestingly enough, I don't believe any of the people who reported serious issues mentioned which version they had and it doesn't seem like any analysis has been done relating to that. You're no doubt right about it being a factor.

There's an unconfirmed rumour as of yesterday that the 10.3.1 update will soon be released everywhere. The one I've ordered has the Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon chipset, so all good.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 13.Mar.2015 22:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Update is now being released and here's the (long) list of fixed bugs:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/70497/Blac kBerry_10_OS_10.2.1.3062-10.3.1.1581-Release_Notes-en.pdf
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 14.Mar.2015 16:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It looks that only some devices get the 10.3.1.1581 update. Mine's still on 10.3.1.1565 and there's no update.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 17.Mar.2015 04:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It looks that only some devices get the 10.3.1.1581 update. Mine's still on 10.3.1.1565

I've just received a notification about availability of 10.3.1.1779 update - a much higher version than the one you mentioned. No idea what's new, downloading as I'm writing this. Doesn't seem to be a huge update, only 71 MB to download.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.Mar.2015 01:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

How was the new download, Michael? All OK still?

My whiteN9 has finally arrived in New Zealand, though I paid for it almost 4 weeks ago.
I'm dying to find out whether it's legit or not - by which I mean, NEW or refurbished.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.Mar.2015 17:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

How was the new download, Michael? All OK still?

Yes, downloaded and installed perfectly fine. The update was very small and downloaded quickly but took very long time to install - I guess it PATCHED a lot of files rather than replaced/updated them. I haven't noticed any serious changes, just a couple of UI tweaks, so it must have mostly fixed some internal stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic