MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia N9 puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Tuesday, 24.Mar.2015 20:09    Post subject: Nokia N9 puzzle   Reply with quote   

Well, my new N9 has finally arrived. It's white, but as I suspected, has been rehoused from the original black version.

It has version 1.3, so no worries there and if the box is to be trusted, was made in Finland, unlike my current one, which was made in China and purchased from a retail outlet in New Zealand.

Interestingly, the leaflet included in the box has a distinctly Microsoft flavour in its styling and content - it even mentioned the latest version of Internet Explorer 9, which of course isn't on the device.

The product number is 059L4M9

which translates to:

059L4M9: N9 RM-696 3 SE SE Black 16GB V1

I'm puzzled by the SE SE - with no country mentioned - what does this mean?

The phone is very smooth, very beautiful and varies slightly from my current one. For instance the Accuweather app is much more detailed and looks better too.

The only thing that annoys me is that on the sleeping screen, there is an icon with the words SingTel, which I can't remove. The MySingTel application can't be removed either, but this doesn't concern me as I can hide it away. So this looks like it was made for the Singapore market.

If I install the billboard application, do you think the SingTel icon will disappear, or if not, any suggestions as to how I can remove it?

**Edit** Yes, installing billboard got rid of the SingTel icon!!

My main concern however is the fact that the phone has been rehoused from its original black to a white housing. Why was this done? And could it mean that the device has been used before and refurbished? There's no guarantee that it won't break down at some point, or the battery may fail.

What should I say to the seller (Chinese company) if anything and should they be reported for fraudulently advertising the phone as brand new? It's similar to Ebay, so there is a ruling agency to which the company is bound.

Your advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9500, 9300, 2xE90, 2xN9 64gb/2xN9 White, 2x808, 3xOro Bk

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Mar.2015 00:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

White N9's are rare - so the rehousng suggests that a black N9 was recased.

Go to settings -> device -> data storage - and made sure that the 'user data' shows the capacity as 57.7gb, just to make that you didn't get a 16gb recased model. All real White N9s are 64gb.

From the description given it seems to have been placed in a Lumia 800 box - a device that reused many of the N9 components

A guide to removal of shortcuts (for example for the SIM menu) - can be found in this link - glad this site still exists.

http://everythingn9.com/remove-application-shortcuts-nokia-n9/

As the offical Nokia store no longer works go to 'openrepos.net' and install the 'warehouse' application.
Before doing that you need to enable support for non-store sources -
Settings -> applications -> installations

Of course this site also has a great many N9 applications.
The poor excuse that is the Opera store does not support the N9 - ignore it - especially as JAVA ME applications do not work on this device.

For the best music player on the device - refer to this site:
https://www.meteorasoftworks.com/

The site ower also has interesting software for the N9 but I am not sure if he will provide a mechanism to make this available for sale now that Nokia store is no more (obviously we all are upset about that) - the recommended application being StarFinder.

Applications you should have:
Cutertube
Opera browser (unlike the site it's quite good)
Firefox, Flash Player, Filebox,
Cameropro (www.tequnique.com/camerapro)
Quasar MX pro

Important - try to create a Nokia account and attempt download the offline maps you need. Note that the Nokia account will be deleted soon.

I love this device, so will you - be different.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Mar.2015 02:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks very much for all that info, David, very useful, especially regarding the maps, which I was able to download without any problem. This is my second N9, the first one has a cracked screen, works ok but the battery is now draining faster than it should be.

My new N9 is definitely 16gb - that was the first thing I checked. I suspected that there might be something a bit dodgy with this purchase, as soon as I found out that Nokia made the white version only in 64gb.

The box is definitely an N9 box, made in Finland, but with what looks like (as you suggested) a Lumia insert.

As mentioned, I'm intrigued to know what "SE SE" means in the spot where normally a country would be named.

http://www.mrcrab.net/NokiaProductCode/Nokia_N9.html?productType=RM-69 6

The model I have is the top one in that list.

Thanks again.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Mar.2015 10:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

David Moore wrote:
Important - try to create a Nokia account and attempt download the offline maps you need. Note that the Nokia account will be deleted soon.

As far as I know, the downloading of offline maps is not connected to a Nokia account. This will probably also work after Nokia accounts are deleted.

Offline maps can be downloaded directly to a PC and then installed on the device. I will soon make a post with links.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Mar.2015 16:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The site ower also has interesting software for the N9 but I am not sure if he will provide a mechanism to make this available for sale now that Nokia store is no more (obviously we all are upset about that) - the recommended application being StarFinder.

Fortunately, N9 applications can still be normally developed and distributed (thanks to the platform not having any sort of Symbian-signed like requirement). I will think about how I could make them available again - maybe some donation-based model or so. But first I'll need to add some sort of IMEI-based activation to them because I do not want to release them completely unprotected.

Quote:
059L4M9: N9 RM-696 3 SE SE Black 16GB V1

I have no idea what SE SE means (special edition? south east?) but I've seen some other variants with the same code, e.g.

059L721: N9 RM-696 3 SE SE Magenta 16GB V1 - MR
059L723: N9 RM-696 3 SE SE Black 64GB V1_COLOR
059L722: N9 RM-696 3 SE SE Cyan 16GB V1_COLOR
059L721: N9 RM-696 3 SE SE Magenta 16GB V1_COLOR
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Mar.2015 21:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think SE means Sweden - but then why not put Sweden? And why SE SE? I've searched on the net but can't find any answers.

According to the IMEI, the phone was manufactured/assembled in China, even though the box says Finland. Digits 7 and 8 are 04 (China).

So I'm still wondering why this phone had a white housing installed. How do I know that it won't break down sooner rather than later? I think I should take this up with the Chinese seller and see what they say.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Mar.2015 00:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm reliably informed that digits 7 and 8 do NOT indicate where the phone was made. From what I can gather from researching the IMEI number, it seems it was originally used in Norway or Sweden. Probably made for the Swedish marked (judging from the product code) and sold/used in Norway. At least, that's what the last 5 digits of the IMEI number seem to indicate, if I'm reading it correctly.

If that is so, then there is even more doubt or confusion as to the early history of this phone.

Stickers on the box say it was made in Finland and I think that's probably correct, because it definitely has some differences from my China made version.

*Edit* More proof it was made in Finland - Accuweather listed Helsinki as its current location. It would not do that if it was made in China, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by ginniec on Thursday, 26.Mar.2015 01:53; edited 1 time in total
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9500, 9300, 2xE90, 2xN9 64gb/2xN9 White, 2x808, 3xOro Bk

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Mar.2015 01:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BentL wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, the downloading of offline maps is not connected to a Nokia account. This will probably also work after Nokia accounts are deleted.

Offline maps can be downloaded directly to a PC and then installed on the device. I will soon make a post with links.

--
Bent Laursen

The 'all about symbian' site mentioned that the maps have been refreshed after ages - and sure enough that is the case for the 808, Oro and also the N9 (finally).
Note when using an N9 to navigate check that the route does not have problems with odd gaps - this can cause the routes to be incorrect.

My wife managed to drop onto concrete and cause the display to leak and we managed to find a service centre to replace this. N9 batteries are hard to find, if needed find a Lumia 800 (for spare parts as that is all it's good for) and have the service centre transplant the battery to the N9 (the CPU isn't compatible of course but most of the other parts will be).

One odd difference I found is that the early Black N9's had a darker case then the later ones that are charcole black and thinner I found out.
I suggest using the silcone cover to protect it.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Mar.2015 17:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I think SE means Sweden - but then why not put Sweden?

I also thought so, but in all other country variants there is a full country name.

Quote:

According to the IMEI, the phone was manufactured/assembled in China

Until 2003 digits 7 and 8 were Final Assembly Code, but since 2003 there has been no FAC but instead digits 1 to 8 are now TAC (Type Allocation Code) which does not contain any information about manufacturing location. Many Nokia phones had 04, including the N950.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Allocation_Code

Quote:

More proof it was made in Finland - Accuweather listed Helsinki as its current location. It would not do that if it was made in China, I'm pretty sure.

If I remember correctly, Helsinki was shown by default also in N9s from official Polish distribution, so quite possibly it was the default location worldwide.

Quote:

So I'm still wondering why this phone had a white housing installed.

Question is when it was made and if Nokia still had any factories in Finland at that time. IMEI digits 9 to 14 are SNR (serial number) unique to each specific phone model - you can compare it with other people N9's IMEI numbers - the higher the number the later the unit was made. Usually, this SNR simply starts with 000001 and grows by 1 on every new manufactured unit. As it can contain only 999999 units, then the TAC gets changed and the SNR again starts from 0000001 for this new batch. So you'd need to find out all the TACs that were used on N9s to know how many such 'batches' there were and to which of those batches (first, second, third, etc.) your SNR belonged.

Another thing to compare with others is the WiFi MAC address. There's usually also a range of MAC addresses assigned to each model, starting with some specific value and then growing with each new unit manufactured.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Mar.2015 19:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm wondering if the second "SE" means "special edition". There were three other models made with "SE SE" - the other two colours, plus a 64GB black, so it could well be they were a special or sample edition.

Since this phone was originally black, someone (either the vendor or the source from which he got it) has rehoused it. Since it was advertised as "new", it has been misrepresented. There's no telling how long it will last, if in fact it's a refurbished model.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 28.Mar.2015 11:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I contacted the seller with my concerns and she (very nice Chinese lady) says it's definitely not a refurbished phone as far as she knows, so I think it must have been her supplier who did the rehousing from the original black. She says she is going to contact her supplier.

Anyway the phone is beautiful and is working well, so I won't worry any more. It already had the 1.3 update installed, so no worries on that score either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic