MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia N9 - Need Help to make a buying decision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do ? (After having used Lumia 800 for 4 years)
Buy an N9 and experience it with all its issues and surprises
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
Buy a Lumia 800 again and be done with it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

astalavista84
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Lumia 800

PostPosted: Monday, 26.Jan.2015 15:13    Post subject: Nokia N9 - Need Help to make a buying decision   Reply with quote   

Hello Experts,

I need your opinion before making this purchase decision. I would greatly appreciate your help.

I have used a Lumia 800 for last 4 years with no complaints and my unconditional love and loyalty for the device (hardware) has brought me down to a decision point - another Lumia 800 or N9 ? I have been hearing a lot of praise for N9 and how people would not exchange it for anything else in the world and while Lumia 800 is great, I am inclined towards N9 because it is a totally unexplored territory for me. And it is the most beautiful phone ever. I have the following questions:

The following functions in a phone are of use to me -
1) making calls and texting
2) using whats app messenger (very important)
3) good signal and call quality - no call dropping and needing to shout
4) decent battery life
5) occasional maps, google search and youtube

THAT's IT. I am a happy man if I get these things.

1) Can I have an N9 and be happy in all above areas?
2) Can I successfully install whats app using the various open-source apps and the various ways of registering it as discussed on this forum?
3) Does the N9 demand flashing/tweaking/using rocket science to make it usable and enjoyable?
4) in which cases (for what requirements/ functionality does one need to do all the above developer stuff ?
5) On one hand they say MEEGO HARMATTAN is closed source and un-tweakable and on the other hand, I see hundreds on threads explaining how people change all sorts of things on an N9 - fonts, clock colors, apps which otherwise wouldn't install, 5 rows of icons and what not - so what exactly is the reality? Are all these changes possible on a Meego based N9 or first one needs to flash and then he is good to do all the experimentation?

Guys I sincerely apologize for this post - the size, immaturity and all aspects of it that would annoy you all. However, this is my 20th day since I lost my Lumia 800 and I am without a phone and I need to decide and order from China or Hong-Kong or wherever it would be available. So your opinions are much much appreciated.

Cheers.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 27.Jan.2015 00:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Long story short, I'd say you won't have any problems with any of the points you highlighted (the N9 is really a well built device with highly intuitive and extremely pleasant to use UI) but one: Whatsapp. There is no official client, and the unofficial one available for the N9 probably isn't developed anymore, and even when it was actively developed Whatsapp (the company) were blocking it all the time, causing problems with connectivity, logging in, etc. I don't use Whatsapp myself so I can't tell you any details or how it is now, hopefully someone else can add some more information to it.

As for 'tweakability' of the OS, Harmattan *isn't* closed source. Only parts of its UI and some drivers are Nokia's proprietary closed source (and the whole rest is normal Linux), but this still doesn't mean that they are locked from the user and impossible to tweak. Unlike the N900 (N9's predecessor) which was entirely open, the N9 has a so called Aegis security system which restricts access to some security-sensitive OS components. But should you need it, you can quite easily disable Aegis and then the whole OS is entirely yours. And even with Aegis, it is still possible to easily tweak an AWFUL lot of things, just not the core ones. Things like the ones you mentioned ("fonts, clock colors, apps which otherwise wouldn't install, 5 rows of icons and what not") can be tweaked without even touching Aegis, often just by using a TEXT EDITOR in the Terminal on the device itself as it only takes to modify some config files. Just enable the developer mode, gain root access, and have fun. No need to "flash" anything, even disabling Aegis doesn't take any flashing (custom firmware, etc. - it only takes installing a package that will do its job). But as I said, you won't ever need to do anything with Aegis to tweak things like the ones you listed - on an open system like Maemo/MeeGo they're tweakable with just the terminal.

In this regard (and in many others) it is an UNCOMPARABLY MORE ENJOYABLE device than any (completely locked and plainly boring) Lumia. But YES, it does lack some 'mainstream' apps and they will probably never come unless the community provides them as the platform isn't developed or supported anymore. So it depends on what's more important for you - a beautiful, highly enjoyable and tweakable device or lots of apps.

Once you get familiar with the device and the OS, there are other possibilities to get more apps - run Linux apps in chroot, install NITdroid (Android) in a dual boot, etc. You can't get bored with it Wink

The following users say THANKS! for this post: astalavista84

alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Tuesday, 27.Jan.2015 21:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi, there is only an unofficial client for whatsapp active, whatsup, developed by Matias Perez from Argentina. It is active because it use the old symbian protocol without encryption, I think.
The use is very friendly and it has most of the features of the oficial client. But I think that anybody can guarantee its activity. Matias works on it for free only some donations support his effort.
You can get it via openrepos:
https://openrepos.net/content/cepiperez/whatsup

The following users say THANKS! for this post: astalavista84

astalavista84
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Jan.2015 19:55    Post subject: Thank You   Reply with quote   

Guys,

I would like to take a moment and thank all of you for extremely detailed and insightful opinions.

@Michal: Thank you very much bro. I very much appreciate you taking the time out and writing such a comprehensive response which truly helped me make my decision. It was exactly what I needed to know and more. Thanks again. Feels good to hear first from the moderator himself Smile

@alexpain: Before I read your reply, I was highly confused about the various opensource clients for whats app and the various names - wazapp and whatsup and their coders and current status. Your reply was very helpful.

Guys, i have just placed an order for a 64GB N9 - White on ebay. Let's hope all goes well and I get what I see in the picture and as described in the ad. Thanks again guys!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Jan.2015 23:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Congratulations, good decision Razz

I guess that my opinion is strongly biased because I severely dislike Windows Phone and the company behind it, but one thing that cannot be denied about the N9 is that it really gives a lot of fun. Just launch the X-Terminal, become root and start playing with it.... And best of all, it's almost impossible to brick it beyond what you could easily fix yourself (I guess only tampering with the bootloader could be risky, but even for that there are various solutions to reflash a dead/not responding phone in both the Maemo flasher and in other Nokia software tools like Phoenix) so you can be really creative.

Like the N900, the N9 can be overclocked, which you may find useful now, nearly 4 years after its launch. It can be overclocked in quite a smart and safe way, i.e. depending on CPU load, so that it uses the higher clock speeds only when needed and other than that it instantly slows down to its standard clock rates, which saves power. With properly configured clock speeds, it can even use less power than not overclocked. My N9 and N950 worked 100% stable even at 1.3 GHz. And even my ~5 years old N900 still runs fine overclocked from its 800 MHz to 1.1 GHz, which is the best proof that overclocking doesn't do any harm to it.

Anyway, have fun and don't hesitate to ask if you need any further information Wink
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 29.Jan.2015 10:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

We hope you tell us your experience with the N9.
astalavista84
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 07.Feb.2015 13:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Guys I received my N9 3 days back. I just wrote a small post (link below) to describe my initial thoughts and impressions about it. I would be really happy if you guys read it. Thanks .

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1459929#post1459929
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 07.Feb.2015 17:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You are really happy with your N9!!!
Don't try wazzap, it is out of service. The Whasup connection problems will be fixed in the next update.
draghan2
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 6220 Classic

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Feb.2015 01:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hello everyone. I'm sorry for connecting to someone's topic, but I have very similar question.
I'm still using old Symbian in Nokia 6220 Classic. But you know - today is 2015 year - I'm looking slowly for some other smartphone.
Some time ago I've got really excited, when I've read about Maemo platform. It sounds to me like a fairy tale - opensource, "successor" old Symbian, linux-based OS, almost like PC in your pocket... Eureka! I thought - N900 this is it!
I've ask about this model in some of my native-language forums... But they only said - "buy it, try it". Shocked
Literally yesterday I've read, that N9 is some kind of successor to N900, but with better OS and better hardware.
Is it true? Do MeeGo is really better than Maemo5? I cannot find in web any good explain nor comparison. Confused
My girlfriend has some Lumia - I really hate OS on it (is there some... Windows?)... Mad I'm hope N9 is different. Very Happy

Does it pay to buy N9? What N9 really can do in comparison to - for example - present Android?
I'm going to use it like a day-manager (notes, calendar and stuff like that) and for listening to music, writing SMS, ocasionally working with docs...
I've forgotten - programming is my hobby... does it hard to develop aplications for MeeGo? Very Happy

Thanks for your attention. Smile
Best regards.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9500, 9300, 2xE90, 2xN9 64gb/2xN9 White, 2x808, 3xOro Bk

PostPosted: Saturday, 28.Feb.2015 09:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

draghan2 wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm sorry for connecting to someone's topic, but I have very similar question.
I'm still using old Symbian in Nokia 6220 Classic. But you know - today is 2015 year - I'm looking slowly for some other smartphone.
Some time ago I've got really excited, when I've read about Maemo platform. It sounds to me like a fairy tale - opensource, "successor" old Symbian, linux-based OS, almost like PC in your pocket... Eureka! I thought - N900 this is it!
I've ask about this model in some of my native-language forums... But they only said - "buy it, try it". Shocked
Literally yesterday I've read, that N9 is some kind of successor to N900, but with better OS and better hardware.
Is it true? Do MeeGo is really better than Maemo5? I cannot find in web any good explain nor comparison. Confused
My girlfriend has some Lumia - I really hate OS on it (is there some... Windows?)... Mad I'm hope N9 is different. Very Happy

Does it pay to buy N9? What N9 really can do in comparison to - for example - present Android?
I'm going to use it like a day-manager (notes, calendar and stuff like that) and for listening to music, writing SMS, ocasionally working with docs...
I've forgotten - programming is my hobby... does it hard to develop aplications for MeeGo? Very Happy

Thanks for your attention. Smile
Best regards.

In short, get a 64gb N9 while you still can, especially if you hate Lumia.
You wont want to use anything else afterwards.

For Music Playback of Apple Lossless, I suggest Quasar MX pro.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 02:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Did Nokia ever make a 16gb version of the white N9? I've just ordered one - it's supposed to be one (they had all four colours available) - but I can't find a variant for this, so am wondering...
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 02:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

astalavista84 wrote:
Guys I received my N9 3 days back. I just wrote a small post (link below) to describe my initial thoughts and impressions about it. I would be really happy if you guys read it. Thanks .

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1459929#post1459929

What version of the OS was on the phone when you got it and were you able to update it via OTA?
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 14:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ginniec wrote:
Did Nokia ever make a 16gb version of the white N9? I've just ordered one - it's supposed to be one (they had all four colours available) - but I can't find a variant for this, so am wondering...

Nokia only made a 64 GB version of the white N9.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 22:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, that's what I thought. I know this company (Chinese) sold a 64gb white N9 recently for (obviously) more than I paid for the 16gb version. But they advertised white along with the other three colours. Maybe an error. Anyway I suppose they will eventually let me know they don't have a white. It's taking long enough to process my order, so it may be weeks before I actually get this phone, once they realise their mistake and tell me to choose another colour. Or maybe (false hope I know!) they will send me the 64gb version! Will keep you posted...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic