MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish OS 2.0 & Jolla Tablet on MWC

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 313

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 23:11    Post subject: Sailfish OS 2.0 & Jolla Tablet on MWC   Reply with quote   

Jolla is showing their tablet and Sailfish OS 2.0 preview on jolla phone on MWC.

There are many reviews and videos around.

one example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2-w5jIxySM&t=18

it's in italian and I don't understand a word, but you can see quite a lot.

The whole gesture system and UI is getting a lot of changes.

- swipe from buttom edge no longer opens event view but now opens the app launcher (why do I need instant acces to app launcher from within apps?)

- events view has been enhanced and seems to show a lot more information (I think similar.to bb10 hub?) and is accessed by swiping from homescreen to the right.

- swiping down from top edge no longer closes app, but leads to either locking the device or a sort of ambiance switcher

- complete UI switches from portrait to landscape as needed

- only one cover action per app, and it is not started by swiping but by pressing the small button in the active cover. (This is by far the worst change in my opinion!)

Other than that, the UI seems quite nice and fluid.

I like a lot of what I see, but some of fhe changes I don't like at all...
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Mar.2015 22:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

- swipe from buttom edge no longer opens event view but now opens the app launcher (why do I need instant acces to app launcher from within apps?)

It is faster than closing/minimising and flicking from the multitasking screen to the app grid. It saves you one swipe.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Mar.2015 23:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

sure, but I don't open new apps as often as I'd like to check the events view for new mails etc.
with new swiping gestures, app launcher is one swipe away while two swipes are needed for switching to events view.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Mar.2015 23:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Pity it is not in english, this video.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1072 in 680 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Mar.2015 06:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Pity it is not in english, this video.

In 3 years from now you'll be able to use Google Voice Translate to have it translated on the fly Wink
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Mar.2015 19:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Google Voice Translate to have it translated

That would be cool! Talking about Google Translate, there is a review with description of how the new UI works on this dutch site, the title translates to 'en route to maturity' Smile

http://tweakers.net/reviews/3926/jolla-tablet-sailfish-os-op-weg-naar- volwassenheid.html
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Mar.2015 20:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Another review with video can be seen on jollausers.com.

Shows quite a lot.

As always on this site, this review is quite positive (not to say biased...) but actually not bad.

after viewing some more videos, I actually like most of the new UI - except for missing "swipe from top down to close app" and "swipe on active cover".

Not sure if these are a problem on the tablet, but on the phone they are.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.Apr.2015 16:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It is delayed..... they apparently wanted to include a better display. If they start delaying their hardware becaause better components become available during the development that is not a good omen Laughing
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1072 in 680 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 24.Apr.2015 14:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It is delayed..... they apparently wanted to include a better display

I'm not sure if one can trust in any of their explanations.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 04.May.2015 14:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The full E-Mail from Jolla to Indiegogo- supporters (from 23.04.2015):

Quote:

Dear Jolla Tablet contributor,
We have been working very hard all year to get the Jolla Tablet ready. We have progressed very well in many areas, but as there are still many open items remaining, we are forced to postpone the delivery start of the Jolla Tablet.

The Sailfish OS 2.0 software development is progressing steadily, but it still requires a lot of effort in many areas. Several important parts, like the new user interface design are already in good shape, but many others are still under construction.

On the hardware side we've had some implementation challenges with the original display. Since we want to offer you the best possible hardware, we chose to switch to a new display. This display is better than the original with a more balanced color spectrum. The display change also causes a slight delay in the tablet production.

In the spirit of transparency we wanted to inform you about this development already now. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this might cause.

New shipping target: end of July 2015

We aim to start shipping the Jolla Tablet before the end of July 2015 in the order of the Indiegogo contributions. Actual delivery times may vary depending on your region. We are also starting a special pilot program for developers in June. We will share more information about this during the first week of May.

What should I as a contributor do and when?

As a Jolla Tablet contributor you do not need to take any action now.

When we get closer to shipping we will send you an email with instructions on how to complete your order, including the following:
• Verify your shipping address
• Submit your phone number for the courier
• Pay for VAT or other applicable taxes (depending on your shipping country)
• Pay for shipping if you haven’t already done so
Read more about the reasons for the delay and our current news in the Iteration 4 blog post. We'll be sending you regular updates by email, in the Jolla Blog, on together.jolla.com and through our social media channels. Stay tuned!

Should you have any questions regarding your contribution, kindly submit a request here.

We want to thank you again for contributing, taking part in developing the product, and for waiting patiently!

The Jolla Team

Whatever "implementation challenges with the original display" mean.

I wonder what
Quote:
We are also starting a special pilot program for developers in June. We will share more information about this during the first week of May.
means...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1072 in 680 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 04.May.2015 14:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I wonder what

We are also starting a special pilot program for developers in June. We will share more information about this during the first week of May.

means...

... and why did they write about it to Indiegogo supporters only.

Maybe the "special pilot program" will be that "selected developers" will be offered to buy a "developer device" (i.e. the tablet) "as cheaply" as Indiegogo supporters, and then they're "free to develop" just like the Jolla users are.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Friday, 29.May.2015 13:16    Post subject: Developer loan program for Tablet   Reply with quote   

According to Jolla, the loan program now starts soon:

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-developer-device-loan-program-star ting-soon/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1072 in 680 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.May.2015 02:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

These people are really amusing. Or how else you can call them saying that "bring the missing Silica documentation back" was "an effort" and "a proof that they listen to community voices".

Come on. Providing developer documentation is THE MOST BASIC thing every OS vendor starts from. Just not in case of Jolla. The only documentation they provide is Silica (i.e. their QML implementation) only, not a single line of documentation of any of their APIs, but when they scr*wed it up so that even that Silica documentation became unavailable and after months they finally reacted to complaints and brought it back, they now consider it an achievement.

The very same applies to "accepting more APIs for Harbour", which they consider another "effort" of theirs and another "proof" of how much they do for the community. Those "more APIs" actually only means QtPositioning, with LOTS of Qt modules still missing after whopping TWO YEARS.

Lastly, why does the developer program only include the tablet? Is their PHONE now totally abandoned and unsupported? Isn't it expected anymore (assuming that it ever was) that anyone will want to create applications for the PHONE, using cellular functionalities missing on the tablet, i.e. impossible to test on it?

Oh, and also "We have decided to make the pilot phase invite-only". Who will get those invites? As in the Maemo times, only that small clique of friends. I won't get one, Ketlik won't get one, no normal developer will. Eleven applications of mine (nearly all of them on various Top lists in the BB10 store) will remain unreleased on Sailfish OS.

"The developers who will be getting their personal invitations within the next few weeks are hand-picked based on their technical contributions to Sailfish OS."

How could I have contributed to Sailfish OS if Jolla itself did everything to prevent me? Numerous offers to help with the Sailfish OS itself (e.g. Polish localizations/translations) - unanswered. Eleven applications ported to Sailfish OS - still unreleased due to no support in the Harbour for the APIs they use. And due to that, now I will not get an invitation to their Developer Progam, which means that they will CONTINUE to PREVENT me from supporting their system.

Really amusing.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.May.2015 16:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think of their statements als PR. They are not a reflection of how things are, but how they would like people to think how they are. So you can learn a lot from that, just by understanding the image they want to project.

If you look at this statement from their recent press release:
[Jolla] today announced that it is set to build a Sailfish OS ecosystem in Africa starting from South Africa.

This is really a bit bizar.... first of all what happened to Namibia, and secondly from the word go they have been shouting they were "open for business", so they have allways been ready to build anything for anyone.

Furthermore this statement is not that they are telling is they are going to do something, no, they are informing the world they are ready to do something, hardly stuff for a press release, we all know they would love to do something! Have been for a long time!

But hey, you got to keep yourself in the news, right?

The bottleneck is not what Jolla wants, the bottleneck is no-one is buying. They may have dreamed-up a new business model, maybe no-one wants to pay for a license, but some-one has got to agree to it.....
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1072 in 680 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 31.May.2015 16:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The problem with them is that they are pretty much UNWILLING to do anything for anyone. They've got their mysterious plan, and they just won't do anything else. I spent a year asking if they could provide a single test/developer unit so that I could quickly launch my site to promote their phone, to no avail. My sites were still highly popular at that time so they could have promoted their phone and made a lot of former N9/N900/Symbian users switch to it, but it wasn't of Jolla interest at all. When I eventually attempted to order the phone there was a technical problem at their end which delayed placing the order by several days, so I asked if they could speed up sending the phone (so that I could quickly review it and finish porting my apps) - no one cared to do anything about it, so I got it as one of the last persons. For 1.5 years, the request to allow paid software has been one of the most popular requests on their site - took them 1.5 years to answer, and even that so vaguely that they might as well not answer at all. Despite so many requests, no one's been doing anything to finally make spare batteries available for normal purchase. Developer program, so much anticipated by developers for such a long time? Invite-only, for a few "hand-picked" friends from the old Maemo.org clique.

To people like me, who really wanted to voluntarily contribute, support and promote their platform, they've always been doing their best to discourage and fend off us all.

I posted a comment on their blog, under that Developer program announcement, in which I described my concerns regarding the "invite-only" selection. Nothing rude or insulting, just plain truth.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic