MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
How much would you pay for Sailfish OS for Android?

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you pay for Sailfish OS for Android?
  Up to EUR 10 / $15
  Up to EUR 20 / $25
  Up to EUR 30 / $40
  Up to EUR 40 / $55
  Up to EUR 50 / $65
  Even more
  I'd only use it for free
  I'm not interested in Sailfish OS at all
View Results
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 19:02    Post subject: How much would you pay for Sailfish OS for Android?   Reply with quote   

As Jolla doesn't give us too much topics to discuss, maybe we can pass the time with a couple of interesting polls.

So here comes another one.

As we all know, Jolla is working on a version of Sailfish OS that can be flashed on selected Android phones, e.g. the Nexus 4. Not much has been said about how they are going to distribute it, but I guess they will be charging some amount for it, or else what would they be earning money on...

So the question is, how much would you be willing to spend on such a Sailfish OS release for Android. The question is addressed to both those who don't have any Sailfish OS phone yet, and to those who already have the Jolla (but it is aging, so probably sooner or later you will want to have something faster than the Jolla phone).
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 19:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Can't really answer that question - I own the jolla and don't own any Android phone.
I don't think I would buy an Android phone just to install Jolla on it, although I really like the Sailfish OS.

If the System stays in its current state, I will probably rather buy a BB10 phone than going the Sailfish-on-Android route once I feel I need to replace my hardware.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 20:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Looks pretty experimental to mee. Would not be prepaired yo pay much for something that may not work. Cant see many regular phone users flashing their phones.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 08.May.2014 23:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I don't think I would buy an Android phone just to install Jolla on it, although I really like the Sailfish OS.

A bit of explanation.

Despite very poor marketing and not much efforts to build strong native eco-system (in terms of native software, accessories, etc), the Jolla guys certainly do work quite heavily on the system itself (those monthly updates surely are a proof of their hard work), so it cannot be excluded that one day Sailfish OS will become acceptably functional, at least to the point that we'll want to use it as a primary mobile platform. I don't want to go into details of how much likely or unlikely it is that they will survive, for now I'd just like to assume that they MAY succeed (i.e. stay alive and bring the system to an acceptably functional state - e.g. not less functional than Windows Phone) to the point that some of us will want to continue using their OS.

Of course, this will take some time so our Jollas (quite on the low-end side even now) will get really old by then and screaming for a hardware upgrade. Especially after the OS gets some additional (now still missing) functionality, visual tweaks, etc., the current hardware will start showing its weaknesses.

Either Jolla will offer a new, more powerful phone model at some point, or they will fully focus on just the OS, i.e. only make it available as a flashable image for Android phones.

Even if Jolla releases a new phone model, the question is if it will be a good choice to get it (most probably again for quite a high price) and risk ending up the same way as with the current one, i.e. hardware that cannot be flashed with anything else and that's really hard to sell considering the poor popularity of Sailfish OS. In such sense, getting a (supported by Sailfish OS) Android phone and flashing it with Sailfish OS may turn out to be a better, cheaper and safer choice, letting the user change the OS should he ever get disappointed with Sailfish OS, and also flashing it back to Android and selling it more easily.

At least I will think twice before investing money into another Jolla phone (unless it is really cheap and at least with some mid-range hardware) if there is an alternative of buying a considerably more powerful Android phone twice cheaper (like the quad-core 1.5 GHz 720p HD Nexus 4 for less than 200 Euros compared to the Jolla for 399 Euros) and paying some 10-40 Euros for a Sailfish OS image for it, which will give me the freedom to either go back to Android (not to use it but to sell it) or maybe also to Ubuntu at any point, and all that still cheaper than the "genuine" Jolla.

Hence the question about how much others would be willing to spend - of course in the above described hypothetical situation that Sailfish OS matures quite a bit and Jolla starts properly supporting it, both to the point that we'll want to continue using it.

===
P.S. I made both polls available for guests to vote.

P.S.2 I voted "up to 40 EUR". Maybe a little bit too much, but still 1/10th of what I shelled out on the Jolla...
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Monday, 12.May.2014 15:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I voted for EUR 40 as well. First I thought I'd only pay EUR 20,- or maybe EUR 29,- for it, but maybe I'd be willing to pay EUR 50,- as well. so it's something in that range from mid twenties to about EUR 50,- . so 40 EUR is quite a good guess I think.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.May.2014 16:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I also voted for 40 EUR. EUR 40 is quite a lot, but I thought that if individual applications in app stores cost up to EUR 5 then the whole operating system is worth EUR 30-40. That's of course when it is fully functional and properly supported.

BTW. I've made polls available for guests to vote, as a lot of unregistered people browse this site and previously they couldn't vote (and not many people would bother registering only to vote). So now it takes one anonymous click to vote. Result? 1300 views in 4 days and.... 8 votes. People visiting this site are really special.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.May.2014 17:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

How about a subscription model? E.g. 39,90€ first two year and 14,90€ for subsequent years. I mean if you have valid subscription 2014.06-2016.06 then you won't get any updates after 2016.06, but still get to keep and redownload the older releases.

A new Jolla phone could have subscription included until estimated end of life and offer renewal price for updates after that.

They could also give the subscribers a limited amount of priority votes where they say what they want them to focus on. This could be a device they are considering dropping support for, a device they are considering offering support for or just your preferred phone in general. It could also be certain features or areas of focus. Do you want more solid core, better (native) application support or better android runtime support?
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.May.2014 17:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

1300 views in 4 days and.... 8 votes. People visiting this site are really special.

Pure laziness but you can count me on that categories also. Mr. Green
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.May.2014 17:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Out of topic,please enable "recent post" function like symbian developer forum.This make some users more easily to track back previous post.Did "view post since last visit"?do the same but not all users post is available.Only saw your post but not others.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 14.May.2014 04:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

How about a subscription model? E.g. 39,90€ first two year and 14,90€ for subsequent years. I mean if you have valid subscription 2014.06-2016.06 then you won't get any updates after 2016.06, but still get to keep and redownload the older releases.

The idea itself isn't bad IMO, but in such case the initial price to pay should be lower than 39,90€ or else after several years the system would become more expensive than desktop Windows Wink I voted for 40€ max but in 'one go' - in case of 'renewals' I'd opt for the initial price within the 20-25€ range max.

Quote:

Out of topic,please enable "recent post" function like symbian developer forum.This make some users more easily to track back previous post.Did "view post since last visit"?do the same but not all users post is available.Only saw your post but not others.

I'm preparing a new site (either one site for all new Qt platforms - Jolla, BB, Ubuntu, etc. - or several separate websites, haven't decided yet). The site is almost ready, just needs some final tweaks, and it will also have a new forum engine (not sure yet if it will be phpBB 3 or something else). I'd like to launch it within 1-1,5 months. So by then please hold on - it makes no sense to update the current forum that will be replaced soon. I'll take care so that the new forum lists new posts in a better way, either by default or I will modify it to do so.

The current "View all posts since your last visit" table actually shows THREADS in which new posts have been submitted - so if there are multiple posts from multiple persons in the same thread then it is only listed once.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 14.May.2014 15:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I'm preparing a new site (either one site for all new Qt platforms - Jolla, BB, Ubuntu, etc. - or several separate websites, haven't decided yet)

Better merge it all then create separate forum.Don't repeat the mistake that symbian developers forum made.It is suppose to be one stop centre for symbian users but due to the domain name title,all symbian users active in dailymobile instead of SD forum.Now there is only few post a day or none at all for most days.Kind of sad thinking about it.The admin is now down to one only and he already try very hard to maintain the forum but how long can he still hold on.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 14.May.2014 20:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Better merge it all

That's what I am not so sure about. Those Qt platforms (Sailfish, Ubuntu, BB10, Tizen) are entirely different, separate, with nothing else in common but Qt development. So only from a developer's perspective they have any similarities, but for an end user they don't have anything to do with each other. And people tend to prefer websites devoted SOLELY to their smartphone platforms, and not all-rounders.

Also on this very site, once I added My-Maemo and My-MeeGo to this forum, Symbian users went away as they no longer considered it a "Symbian site".

The same applies to domain names. If each site's domain refers directly to the corresponding system, e.g. My-Jolla.com, My-Tizen.com, etc. then they will surely get popular among Jolla or Tizen users than an all-round site called Qt-Something.com. Majority of end users don't even know what Qt is. Ask any BB10 user if he has any idea what Qt is about...

So maybe separate sites are better way to go, maybe with the addition of some kind of hub showing news from all of them in one place and having links to all those separate websites' sections....

I'm still hesitating.
jmirovsky
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N900 , N9 , Alcatel OT Idol

PostPosted: Friday, 30.May.2014 11:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Michal,

first and most importantly: many thanks for your great work with the web pages for Maemo, MeeGo and other systems!

And to your last post: I understand the reasons you have for dividing the content of the new web to separate sites and they are valid. However, the systems have something else than Qt in common - they are alternatives to Android and other big systems; a person like me who wants to know what new is in this area, would like to see it all at one place. So, please, whatever your final decision will be, please do at least the hub you talked about with the joint news.

Thanks and good luck with the new web pages!
frene
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Friday, 30.May.2014 23:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yeah, I agree with Jmirovsky : one site or connected sites for all OS's.
It's nice to read about BB10 or Sailfish or Ubuntu or Meego or even Symbian in the same area. We have everything here. Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 31.May.2014 05:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The hub will surely be there. Actually, I think I will start with one site for all the systems (with the hub as its home page, leading to different sections for different systems and aggregating the news from all sections on one page - thus easy to see what's happening on all the platforms in one place) because for now at least some of the systems are on a too early stage to maintain a full site for them (which would be mostly empty with very little content). Then, as the systems grow and there's more content and information to be published for them, each section can easily be "extracted" to become a separate website, with just the hub staying in its place and still leading to all the OSes, just separate sites rather than sections, which will be only a matter of changing a few links. Same way, the forum will initially cover all the systems (but Symbian which will remain on the current forum) and then I'll see whether to keep it this way or also divide the forum into separate ones.

I guess that's more reasonable than starting with multiple websites which over the next year or more would stay nearly empty...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic