MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
gmail and nokia 9300i

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 80 Communicators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 9210i, 9500, 9300i, E90

PostPosted: Saturday, 14.Mar.2015 17:44    Post subject: gmail and nokia 9300i   Reply with quote   

Hi,

Until about one year ago I was using my 9300i and reading my university email (which is actually a gmail account) with it.

During last year I have been using my E90 and also reading my email with it. It still works.

Yesterday I tried to read my email using the 9300i again. and I can't.

I get the message "Connecting to name_of_account"
establising network connection via 'vodafone ISP'

and then

You have received an untrusted certificate
Do you want to continue?

I remember receiving this message before and it worked when I said yes. but now it gives the following:

Problem connecting
System:
Disconnected

I believe the settings I use on the 9300i are the same I am using in my E90... I don't get why it works on the E90 and not on the 9300i...

I know it's an old device and there are probably not many of you still using it. But, anyway, perhaps someone can help me...

By the way, internet connection via 'vodafone ISP' works. I am using it to write this message.

Thanks,

nga
jApi NL
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
14 in 12 posts

Phone: Nokia E90 , 9500

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.Mar.2015 11:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I use Opera Mini on my E90 . It stil works very wel using URL mail.google.com/mail/h/ .
Maybe this also works on your 9300 . Go to m.opera.com and see if they have a Mini Browser for your device .

☺ Regards jApi NL
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 112

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.Mar.2015 13:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It could be an SSL issue due to the so-called Heartbleed bug discovered in 2014. Since then SSL has pretty much been depreciated and now TLS is used instead. I don't remember if the 9500/9300(i) supports TLS.

If this indeed is the issue, you could try to use your email account without encryption.

--
Bent Laursen
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Mar.2015 01:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

jApi NL wrote:
I use Opera Mini on my E90 . It stil works very wel using URL mail.google.com/mail/h/ .
Maybe this also works on your 9300 . Go to m.opera.com and see if they have a Mini Browser for your device .

☺ Regards jApi NL

Thanks, jApi NL
I also use opera on both my E90 and 9300i and I am sure I could be able to use it to deal with my gmail account. But what I was trying to do was using the 9300i built in Messaging program, which is quite nice.
Regards,

nga
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Mar.2015 01:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BentL wrote:
It could be an SSL issue due to the so-called Heartbleed bug discovered in 2014. Since then SSL has pretty much been depreciated and now TLS is used instead. I don't remember if the 9500/9300(i) supports TLS.

If this indeed is the issue, you could try to use your email account without encryption.

--
Bent Laursen

Thanks, Bent

Nokia 9300i has a StartTLS (which does not seem to work with gmail) and a SSL/TLS one, which I was using.

Meanwhile, the problem is solved... I downloaded the certificate, enabled "Secure networking" and "Online cert. checking" in "Trust settings" and now everything works... I thought that answering "yes" to "You have received an untrusted certificate. Do you want to continue?" would be equivalent to what I did (I am almost sure I had that message before, about one year ago, and I just had to answer "yes"), but apparently it's not the case.

But after one year of "modern" E90 (and Symbian 60) use, it was nice to revisit Symbian 80 and those extremely well thought commands and buttons, that seem so much more efficient. At least to me, an old Psion user that still thinks the software of a Psion Revo and 5mx was the best ever...

Well, it's just me getting old...

Regards,

nga
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 01.Aug.2015 17:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Dear all,

My problems with gmail and 9300i have returned. For a while, access to e-mail has been intermitent but since 29 July no access at all to incoming e-mail. All settings were kept (imap.gmail.com, ssl/tls secure connection). The error is "Problem connecting Internet: Secure session failed"

Even more strange, I can send e-mails using that account.

Same problems with my E90, except that incoming e-mail just doesn't work (no error messages).

Can anyone help?

Regards,

nga
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 01.Aug.2015 17:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Posted on another forum for the Nokia N9:
    Manual setup for send & recive from your gmail:

I created Other mail account
    User : full gmail adress
    Pass: your pass
    Then tick on manual setup
    Mailbox name: full gmail adress
    Name: full gmail
    Incoming server -> user : full gmail adress
    server adress : imap.gmail.com
    Secure conn : SSL
    Port 993
    Outgoing mail server-> user: full gmail adress
    server adress : smtp.gmail.com
    Secure conn : TLS
    Port : 587
    Authentication: plain password
Did you enter your full gmail address?

--
Bent Laursen
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 01.Aug.2015 18:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you for your reply, Bent. Yes, I did. It was working until 29th July, with some intermitent problems for a few days. I believe something changed with gmail but I don't know what... or what to change to make it work.
Regards,
nga
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Thursday, 06.Aug.2015 15:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

nga wrote:
Thank you for your reply, Bent. Yes, I did. It was working until 29th July, with some intermitent problems for a few days. I believe something changed with gmail but I don't know what... or what to change to make it work.
Regards,
nga

As long as your phone email app support imap,any change goggle change should not be an issue.May you can try to delete and recreate gmail mailbox account again in your phone to see if it work again.
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 08.Aug.2015 09:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you, traxx.
Do you think the delete part is important? i did create another account in the phone, accessing the same e-mail account with no success. but in fact I did not delete the old one.
Also, I have the problem on both 9300i and E90. And recently my wife told me she can no longer access her work account (also gmail) with her E72. She also has an android phone for work and she can access the account without problem using that.
and I can access my gmail account using imap with pine (in linux)...
Regards,
nga
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 09.Aug.2015 14:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

nga wrote:
Thank you, traxx.
Do you think the delete part is important? i did create another account in the phone, accessing the same e-mail account with no success. but in fact I did not delete the old one.
Also, I have the problem on both 9300i and E90. And recently my wife told me she can no longer access her work account (also gmail) with her E72. She also has an android phone for work and she can access the account without problem using that.
and I can access my gmail account using imap with pine (in linux)...
Regards,
nga

I think delete is not necessary.Maybe you can tell us what is the issue first.We are hitting blind with your "intermittent issue".

Just in case it related to your issue http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/20860_No_way_to_set_up_a_ new_mailbox.php
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 10.Aug.2015 03:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

traxx wrote:

I think delete is not necessary.Maybe you can tell us what is the issue first.We are hitting blind with your "intermittent issue".

Just in case it related to your issue http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/20860_No_way_to_set_up_a_ new_mailbox.php

traxx,

Thank you for the link. Perhaps it is related, but I think the problem described in the link is different.

I tried to describe my problem in my post of August, 1, at 15:19 and added some more information later. I'll try again, hopefully in a clear way:

1. I had (and still have have) my university account (a gmail account, actually) defined in the built-in Messaging program in both my phones (a 9300i and a E90). They are defined as imap. My wife has her work account (also a gmail account) defined in the Messaging program of her E72.

2. Before July 29, I could access these accounts, although I was having some problems for a few weeks. These problems were intermitent, sometimes I could access the acount and sometimes I could not, in both my phones. When I could not access, I just tried a few minutes later and every was working again.

3. When the problems occurred, I noticed the following behaviour:

In the 9300i, an error message appeared while trying to access the gmail account: "Problem connecting Internet: Secure session failed".

In the E90 no error message was shown: while trying to access the gmail account, the 3G connection was established and then droped with no message.

4. After July 29 I have no access at all to incoming e-mail. The intermitent problem has become permanent. I can, however, send e-mails using that account. My wife has the same problem with her E72 and her gmail account.

5. I can access other e-mail accounts with my phones (non gmail).

6. I can access my gmail account using pine (in Linux).

7. While trying to solve this, I defined another account in the E90 using pop instead of imap, with no sucess. For some reason, then, imap and pop are not working, but smtp is...

Thanks for any help,

nga
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 10.Aug.2015 15:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

nga wrote:
In the 9300i, an error message appeared while trying to access the gmail account: "Problem connecting Internet: Secure session failed".

I still think you have a problem with port numbers. The correct port numbers for gmail are as follows:

IMAP Port for SSL: 993 (not 143)
SMTP: Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

--
Bent Laursen
nga
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 10.Aug.2015 15:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks, Bent.
In the E90 I set the port manually, with no success. In the 9300i there is not a specific place to change the port but after your post I set incoming server as imap.gmail.com:993 and it still gives the same error.
I don't think it is related to the ports, my bet is on the certificate for SSL but I'm not sure and I don't know how to solve it.
Thanks,
nga
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 10.Aug.2015 16:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You mentioned you could't access account so i think the issue would be SSL issue.If not mistaken since the heartbleed bug that affect SSL,a lot have switch to TLS.When the heartbleed appear,Nokia already abandon Symbian so i guess it never get fix.I heard a lot SSL handshake failure so i guess this is the issue.This just my wild guess so take it with pinch of salt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 80 Communicators All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic