MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
How about the new MacBook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> iOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.Mar.2015 15:39    Post subject: How about the new MacBook?   Reply with quote   

Apple introduced the new MacBook, a ultra thin and ultra light no cables device (laptop) with a mobile internals and a really innovative battery technology.

I think this could be a very influencial new class of divice that is an all day mobile companion, no cables needed at all, and completely wirelessly integrated with wifi, mobile networks, bluetooth and wire ear pieces and any other device you have.

What do you all think?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.Mar.2015 17:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You mean the one with just one USB port and costing $200 more than the previous one? Wink

Quote:

completely wirelessly integrated with wifi, mobile networks, bluetooth

My 7-8 years old laptop has it, too.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.Mar.2015 18:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

My 7-8 years old laptop has it, too.

But not this ultra light form factor and full day battery life, i suspect Wink
It makes it efortless: connect everything wireless and just one port. No fan means un-heard-of silence. Charge it when you get back home. Put in a radio and it is a communicator Very Happy But wait, maybe we will lose the radio all together and use 4G for calls. Pitty for the telco's...

You may have to ad an other category to your site.....
horror
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 21

Phone: Oneplus 5

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.Mar.2015 21:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

At least there will be now some market for docking stations. Smile For me is hard to imagine the situation where I will need one of those but maybe there will be users that will prefer to have better battery life and portability on the cost of the lack of ports.
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Currently: Nokia Lumia 930, previously: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Mar.2015 01:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My brother sent me this one as a comment lately: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc&feature=youtu.be
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Mar.2015 16:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But not this ultra light form factor and full day battery life, i suspect

Indeed. Question is, however, if this ultra light form factor is really that convenient. I mean, it surely is nice to CARRY, but it remains to be seen if something that thin is convenient to USE. I often use my laptop in the evenings and late night when I lay myself comfotably on a big couch and I place the laptop in front of me on my knees - a thicker and heavier laptop is stable in such position and gives good rest to wrists for typing, while such a thin and light one may turn out to be very fiddly.

As for battery life, already in early 2000s I had (and still have it somewhere, fully working) a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop based on Transmeta Cruzoe CPU which was providing 12-14 hours of work and it was fanless too, so it's not a big news for me Wink

Quote:

It makes it efortless: connect everything wireless and just one port.

Not everything can be connected wirelessly and in such case just one port is a curse. I use my laptop for developing my apps, so I have the phone connected to it all the time to test the code on the actual device, which permanently takes one port (I could have the phone connected via WLAN but it drains its battery, while if connected via USB the phone not only doesn't lose power but additionally recharges itself). When I'm about to change something bigger in the code, I save my project and make a backup of it on a NAS drive (wirelessly) but also on a pendrive - in such case I would need to disconnect the phone, insert the USB stick, copy the project, remove the pendrive, reconnect the phone. No, thank you.
horror
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 21

Phone: Oneplus 5

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Mar.2015 16:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

With the CPU used, lack of ports, but great battery life and low weight most likely they are targeting people that will use their laptops mostly for writing and want to be more mobile, for sure not for gamers or people that want to use more "heavy" apps. The question is still who is the target group? Students? Bloggers? Press?
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 17.Mar.2015 22:12    Post subject: AUTCH!!!!   Reply with quote   

According to gizmodo.com:

"The trouble with USB-C stems from the fact that the USB standard isn't very secure. Last year, researchers wrote a piece of malware called BadUSB which attaches your computer using USB devices like phone chargers or a thumb drives. Once connected, the malware basically takes over a computer imperceptibly. The scariest part is that the malware is written directly to the USB controller chip's firmware, which means that it's virtually undetectable and so far, unfixable."

"Asking for a charge from a stranger is like having unprotected sex with someone you picked up at the club."

http://gizmodo.com/he-nsa-is-going-to-love-these-usb-c-charging-cables -1691781672
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Apr.2015 10:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The question is still who is the target group? Students? Bloggers? Press?

I would say everyone, except for those who heavy duty stuff like the film edititing the Macbook Pro is great for. Most MacBook Air users I talked to don't seem interested. So it is probably not for developers, programmers, photo and video editers or those who fiddle with hardware.

It is really bringing OSX to a tablet-like device, sort of a hybrid tablet-laptop, without touch.... for now probably.

As they emphasize that the size of the thing is governed by the size of a full functional keyboard they may have taken a close hard look at the Microsft Surface..... And improved on that.

Nice story on the hardware here:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-has-all-the-tech-pieces-in-place-to -build-a-macbook-tablet/
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 09.Apr.2015 18:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Wired compares it to the Mcbook Air, which was ridiculed is pretty mainstream now but was ridiculed at launch for lacking all sorts of stuf.

They think it is the laptop of the future where everything goes on in the cloud.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/review-apple-macbook/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> iOS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved