MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia returning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Monday, 20.Apr.2015 23:01    Post subject: Nokia returning?   Reply with quote   

I am stil sceptical, but there is a rumour that Nokia will be reentering the device arena......

http://recode.net/2015/04/20/nokia-plots-2016-return-to-phone-market/

probably with Android this time, and without manufacturing.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nokia-phones-expected-in-2016-android-or- something-else/

I stil find it hard to believe that they would seriously consider to take on such a challenge on top of their make-or-break project: the merger.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: N/A

N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
30 in 26 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.Apr.2015 05:28    Post subject: Re: Nokia returning?   Reply with quote   

Kleuter wrote:

I stil find it hard to believe that they would seriously consider to take on such a challenge on top of their make-or-break project: the merger.

Nokia is known for both good decisions and also bad decisions. In the last few years more of the latter than of the former.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 24.Apr.2015 14:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

In the last few years more of the latter than of the former.

I'm not sure if only in the past few years. They started making bad decisions as soon as they started making smartphones: canceling the MX and CX line of Communicators and multimedia smartphones (beatifully designed clamshells with huge screens and really decent hardware) in around 2003 (and instead of that introducing something as ugly as the 7700/7710 that they instantly killed, anyway), killing Hildon / S90, killing UIQ, choosing the ascetic S60 to be Nokia's main and only smartphone platform and then wasting half a decade on adding to it all the features that Hildon and UIQ have had since the beginning, nearly killing 3rd party software development for Symbian with extremely costly and complicated Symbian Signed certification (then made free and relaxed a couple of times but never to a really developer-friendly level), treating their Internet Tablets as niche toys instead of aggressively developing and pushing to the market what only a few years later turned out to be the hottest product people want to buy, just to name a few.

If not those TERRIBLY wrong decisions between around 2003-2007, the situation on the smartphone market would now look completely different. Everything that happened then (including Elop) actually resulted from those decisions.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 14:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I must say I am relieved by the statement of Nokia about this, I feared I was loosing my smarts! Very Happy Very Happy

Nokia reaffirms it currently has no plans to manufacture or sell consumer handsets

April 26, 2015

SUNNYVALE, Calif. – Nokia notes recent news reports claiming the company communicated an intention to manufacture consumer handsets out of a R&D facility in China. These reports are false, and include comments incorrectly attributed to a Nokia Networks executive.

Nokia reiterates it currently has no plans to manufacture or sell consumer handsets.

http://company.nokia.com/en/news/statements
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 14:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

SUNNYVALE, Calif.

Funny how this tiny remnant of Finnish Nokia accents its Finnish roots by issuing statements from Sunnyvale, California.
addseo1115
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!
Currently banned

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: sdasdasd

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Jun.2015 11:21    Post subject: No.1   Reply with quote   

Nokia, is Legion of symbian phone.
alexau
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!
Currently banned

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: n9

PostPosted: Sunday, 15.May.2016 23:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I dont think so
Elohim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: Nokia N900.

PostPosted: Friday, 20.May.2016 01:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Espoo, Finland - Nokia has announced plans that will see the Nokia brand return to the mobile phone and tablet markets on a global basis.

Under a strategic agreement covering branding rights and intellectual property licensing, Nokia Technologies will grant HMD global Oy (HMD), a newly founded company based in Finland, an exclusive global license [1] to create Nokia-branded mobile phones and tablets for the next ten years.

Under the agreement, Nokia Technologies will receive royalty payments from HMD for sales of Nokia-branded mobile products, covering both brand and intellectual property rights.

Read more here
http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/2016/05/18/nokia-signs -strategic-brand-and-intellectual-property-licensing-agreement-enablin g-hmd-global-to-create-new-generation-of-nokia-branded-mobile-phones-a nd-tablets
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.May.2016 01:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Read: a couple of guys who established that new company will order some typical Chinese Android-compliant devices, put Android on them, and pay Nokia for selling them with Nokia logo glued to their housings.

What an amazing perspective. Nokia truly reborn Cool
Elohim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: Nokia N900.

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.May.2016 21:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes,i guess you are right.
But lets just hope we are wrong.

Nokia got to do something special.more then just sell a normal phone with top specification
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 27.May.2016 11:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia doesn't exist anymore. Only branding remained.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.May.2016 14:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Nokia doesn't exist anymore. Only branding remained.

I got the impression that HMD is the former feature phone (S40/Smarterphone OS/Nokia X Platform) division bought from Microsoft (which in turn was bought as part of the Nokia Devices).

I.e: Nokia Devices feature phone division->Microsoft->HMD.

Since most of the Nokia smartphone development ceased with the Lumia introduction (layoffs of the Symbian staff, switch to Qualcomm reference platform, Compal production), it seems like the feature phone division was the only remaining part who actually had their own development (Asha etc).

Building on Qualcomm reference designs in order to avoid the Nokia tradition of underpowered hardware is good so I am not sure how much of a drawback it is to use standardized hardware rather than trying to develop special chipsets and so forth.

I guess HMD is going to create devices based on standardized hardware made by Foxconn rather than being some rebranded Gionee's (such as some Blu devices, which are Gionee with another logo).

Using Android is worse than Sailfish but one thing is for sure: SF and other things could be ported to the devices and even supported if proper measures are taken and the bootloader etc is unlocked.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.May.2016 16:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I got the impression that HMD is the former feature phone (S40/Smarterphone OS/Nokia X Platform) division bought from Microsoft (which in turn was bought as part of the Nokia Devices).

Maybe so. But if their present aspirations are just to put a Nokia logo on a Foxconn device with Android OS, then I cannot find any true Nokia in it.

You know, it's like with e.g. Commodore / Amiga. There are companies in the US who bought the rights to use Commodore / Amiga branding and they sell plain PCs with C= logo. What's Commodore / Amiga in it? Nothing....

Quote:

I guess HMD is going to create devices based on standardized hardware made by Foxconn rather than being some rebranded Gionee's (such as some Blu devices, which are Gionee with another logo).

I am not saying that standardized hardware (from Foxconn or whatever else) is bad, or that Android OS itself is bad. I'm just saying that there are so many such devices that this one's only real difference will be its Nokia logo (and probably premium price). Some people nostalgic to Nokia will probably buy it, but will it change anything on the market?

I'm trying to find a single reason why would I want to spend any money on this particular device and I can't.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Monday, 30.May.2016 19:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The best thing for a revived Nokia should be to create devices with Android compatible (i.e. standardized hardware) with an open concept that can run different systems such as SF or Android. "Nokia engineering" could be directed toward radio technology (antenna design etc), camera/multimedia capabilities and specialization such as physical keyboards and so forth.

I haven't too many expectations on this new venture but think the HMD devices can be relatively successful if they can make something different such as applications, multimedia and so forth. Introducing just "another Android" device isn't a successful strategy and their best option would be to perhaps enter the market with that platform but making provisions for Sailfish so their devices can be reflashed initially (with SF shipments upcoming when things such as app stores and SDKs are fixed).

One thing is for sure: If those new "Nokia" devices got decent hardware and flexibility (unlocked bootloader) with decent community support and contact with Jolla, i.e. the possibility to flash SF - they could be interesting, especially if HMD also dare to differentiate with services and apps also on Android.

On the other hand: If their devices turn out to be 100% rebranded, existing products without anything unique beside a "Nokia" logo, then they are bound to fail.

I expect HMD to put some engineering effort in considering that they are created out of the S40/Smarterphone team but if this turns out to be wrong - i.e. that they just buy existing products (such as Blu is doing) and change the logo, then it would be a major letdown.

Considering the Nokia history (Hildon cancellation, Maemo/MeeGo cancellation, Communicator cancellation, N97/369 MHz FreeScale without GPU, N900 step 5 out of 6, Compal Lumia, S40 touch as a replacement for S60, Nokia Software Platform, Meltemi cancellation, N9 cancellation - the list goes on and on), I don't really know what to expect from HMD.

Commodore made a lot of mistakes but I realize that Nokia managed to surpass them (I just came to think about their Lumia 920 promotion where sensor size wasn't important, while it was important a couple of months earlier with 808 PV).

If HMD are able to introduce a device in the same spirit as the Communicators - it would be very interesting even if the initial version is based on Android provided that their are solutions for alternative systems such as SF.

The question is if they are able to pull such a thing off. The "Nokia 130" of a friend (a device that can't save multiple phone numbers and don't support such a thing as adresses make me somewhat skeptical).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.May.2016 23:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I don't really know what to expect from HMD.

I'm in a somehow better position because I don't expect absolutely anything from them Wink

Nokia might (or might not, but they'll never know if they don't even try) become a serious player again only with their own platform. Not necessarily created by them, but at least something obtained/acquired and then further developed by them, like SFOS, or maybe even BB10. With Android, they'll be just one of thousands of small vendors and they will never be able to compete with Samsung, LG, etc. And as such, they won't ever be of any interest to me.

If I want to have a Nokia logo on an Android phone, I'll remove it from some 7650 or N80 (or even from the 17 years old 6110) I still have somewhere and stick it to some Nexus. Same result, zero investment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic