MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
What are those partnerships of Jolla in fact?

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Saturday, 25.Apr.2015 13:55    Post subject: What are those partnerships of Jolla in fact?   Reply with quote   

It seems Jolla phones are not available from the stores around the world. I thought I would check out some of the other stores for a new DOH but it turns out the Italian store is of line (could be temporary of course, but it lists a link to jollaitalia..) In the India store from Snapdeal it is out of stock and in the Hong Kong store it does not list a price and if you click purchase you get on some page that says please leave your name and number an we will get in touch.

Only the Russian site seems to have a store where you can actually buy something. And it looks like it is a fully Jolla owned operation. If you go to www.jolla.ru you get on the jolla.com/ru site. Kazachstan looks like a Jolla site to, but without a shop, just phone numbers and email adress.

So it looks like there is not much left of those international partnerships. They have got their own webshop and a russian web shop. That is it.

Probably recalibrating their strategy.... Shocked
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 02:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

In 2013 I tried to talk with them about the Polish market (38 million people). No one cared to answer.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 11:51    Post subject: Namibia is strange to   Reply with quote   

They introduced their entry in the African market, with some fanfare, not so long ago, 26 of march. It was announced in September 2014. But if you search on the TN mobile site who are supposed to be their exclusive partner for either Jolla or Sailfish you get no results.
http://www.telecom.na/index.php/component/search/?searchword=jolla&ord ering=newest&searchphrase=all
They may not even know about this one might start to suspect. The press release talks about availability in shops around Namibia, starting in Windhoek on march 28. No way to check this out obviously.

The press release of Jolla talkes about LexConsult as the Namibian distributer. But LexConsult is an IT services company without any mention of phone related activity. Searching their website for Jolla or Sailfis does not give any results either!
http://lexconsult.na/?s=Jolla
Their is a site, don't remember how I found it,: www.jolla.com.na obviously again a Jolla site and it even has a webshop you can pay with paypal! So much for exclusively available via TN mobile!

So unless anyone can testify he or she has seen a Jolla in a TN mobile shop in Windhoek there is little evidence here.

This is all a bit puzzeling to say the least.

BTW they charge 4800 Namibian Dollar for a Jolla wich equals 364.078 Euro. Pretty steep considering the phone costs 249 in Jolla's EU shop..... Safe to assume Jolla is not making a killing in Namibia Wink

Maybe you should try again, Michal, they may be looking for a new PR occasion! Then again, Poland may be to close for comfort, and there is someone there who can check......
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 14:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This all looks to me like some kind of charade. They sell phones but they don't really want to sell too much of them given their prohibitive prices, especially in such poor African or Asian countries. It's like if the price was intentionally set on a level that guarantees that no one will buy them. They brag about Africa, Kazakhstan, etc., but when you try to talk with them about a large European market then they're not interested. They have an advanced, independent OS, but they show absolutely no interest in building any kind of native ecosystem around it.

There are two possibilities: either there is some well thought-out secret strategy behind it with some hidden goal, or it is just plainly chaotic. If the latter, then we can start counting months left until this whole business will collapse. I'm afraid that for Jolla the only hope is that Nokia gets their OS once it is permitted to start making phones again, so I hope that's the plan, agreed long ago - that until Nokia can go back to the smartphone business Jolla develops an OS, tests it in real-life conditions on some number of guinea pigs and has it ready to use when the time comes.

P.S. As for their announcements, not many of them turned out to be true so far. Where's Younited for Jolla? Ended up as an.... Android app from Google Play. Gosh, there's not even that funny Angry Birds TOH they bragged about so much.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 18:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think that it all shows they are not intereste in the current userbase. They want to licence their OS. But despite their efforts, no one seems to want it. They hope to get a second shot with their tablet, but it remains to be seen if any one will be interested to license Sailfish for that. So they pospone as long as possible with payed apps,the ecosystem etc. Hoping a licencee will take care of that. As the reality sinks in, no one steps in, they will realise they will have to do it themselves. Only if they accept they have to do it themselves they will start to make the right moves.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 26.Apr.2015 23:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

They want to licence their OS.

The question is: who in his sick mind thought out that an OS *without* its own ecosystem and without any native applications (instead of that fully relying on Android compatibility) can be more interesting to anyone (and thus easier to license) than a system with a strong ecosystem, vivid developer community, and lots of native apps. And why would anyone want to license (i.e. pay for) a system with just Android apps, if Android itself (on which the same apps will run - better and faster) can be used instead of that for free.

Besides, due to lack of native applications the platform is much less popular among end-users (much less people want to buy a phone based on it) than it would be if it had lots of native apps. So who in his sick mind thought out that a less popular OS with tiny user base would be easier to license to anyone than a popular system with an already existing large user and developer group? Who would want to license a system hardly anyone uses and no one develops for? Shocked

This is completely illogical and against the common sense. No one has licensed Sailfish OS, and surely no one will do it, as long as it has absolutely no ecosystem, no developer community, microscopic user base, and all its features which were meant to distinguish it (like e.g. TOH or Active Covers) still purely theoretical. And not even a perceptible intention of the maker to change it in any foreseeable future.

----

Today I switched on my Jolla for the first time after 7 months. It discovered and downloaded ONE system update. What happened to the promised MONTHLY updates? They VANISHED, like all the remaining promises. Now it's *all* about the tablet, nothing else counts for them.

Oh, and I've also discovered that there are still no batteries that one could just buy and replace. Considering that units delivered in December 2013 are now almost 1,5 years old, batteries of some of them will very soon reach their life time - let's see how users will soon start cursing Jolla if they're told to send their phones to Finland for something as trivial as (removable!) battery replacement. Not to mention that Jolla could be simply EARNING money on selling spare/replacement batteries - but they clearly don't want to.

Comedy of errors.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 28.Apr.2015 01:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nearly 600 views of this thread in just 2 days, and of course absolutely no one else but me and Kleuter to say a word, as always.

How can Jolla be expected to do anything if they cannot see anyone demanding any changes. Not just here, but also on the official together.jolla.com website - while it is good that the "support for paid apps" topic is the nineth of all there, it only translates to 477 votes in 16 months (!), which is simply a PATHETIC figure considering that there are 50,000 Jolla phone users out there. This explicitly shows to Jolla that the remaining 49,500 users (i.e. 99% of all) do not give a FLYING **** about support for paid apps and this is EXACTLY why Jolla doesn't bother to do (or even just say) anything about it.

Long story short, YOU Jolla users, keep silent and careless and YOU won't get anything. Your choice. This is the last time I am talking about it - why should I care of no one else does. Stick to your crippled Android emulation forever.
jApi NL
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
14 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia E90 , 9500

PostPosted: Tuesday, 28.Apr.2015 12:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

However I didn't buy a Jolla or am I using one : I'm still intersted in this new version of the Box of Pandora history . This makes me a reader , not a responder . Thanks guys for your efforts .
Many Regards : jApi NL
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 28.Apr.2015 16:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

This makes me a reader , not a responder .

As I wrote, even on Jolla's official site the "support for paid apps" request has received 477 votes in 16 months. Which can hardly be considered a massive demand. 477 is less than 1% of approx. 50,000 Jolla phone users. Clearly, for 99+% of Jolla phone users the current situation is OK, or at least not worth demanding any changes, even just casting a vote. And out of those 477 people who voted, an overwhelming majority JUST voted (clicked a mouse button once), and only a handful (I mean just a FEW persons) expressed their dissatisfaction in form of a comment demanding that Jolla finally enables proper native development.

Jolla sees it and doesn't do anything - why would they feel forced to do anything if only A FEW people have found it important enough to express their opinion...

In other words, apparently nearly all Jolla users have no problem with lack of native applications. So this is a combination of: a) the phone maker that is not interested in having a strong native ecosystem, and b) nearly all users who don't care about it, either.

In such case, the best thing every native developer can do is go away.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Tuesday, 28.Apr.2015 17:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, if they plan to merge with Nokia again then I believe it is worth waiting for. I am eagerly awaiting the next software update where we probably get proper dual stack ipv6 support on cellular(assuming your network provider offer ipv6 that is). What makes Jolla interesting is not applications, but rather it's base. It seems to me all the interesting stuff goes on around the core, which regular users don't want to see, they just want it to work.

Android is mainstream, but my impression is that it is hard to find information about the core if you don't know where to look for it. What if you want to translate android to another language, what do you do? If you search for "translate android" on google you only get a bunch of translation applications which translates automatically for you, rather than let show you how you find the translation strings in android so you can start translating it. It is too massive, it is hard to get involved.

Android has something both for the mass appeal and for the userland geek if you know where to look, Jolla seems to make the latter a priority. The latter is much more important than the former.

It would be nice if Jolla had said that they they focused on the OS geek, rather than (even advanced) smartphone user.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 28.Apr.2015 22:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Well, if they plan to merge with Nokia again then I believe it is worth waiting for.

Sure. It's just that no one knows if it's ever going to happen; for now it's just a hypothesis with absolutely no prooves. And I'm not really willing to wait another 1,5 years just to see if it happens. I've already waited 1,5 years for the Jolla phone itself, I've been waiting for over 2 years now to be able to release my apps... nothing but waiting and hoping that something will finally happen. And all that with the worst information policy I have ever seen, namely no information at all.

Quote:

What makes Jolla interesting is not applications, but rather it's base.

One does not in any way contradict the other. I can't see why Jolla couldn't be offering its advanced, open OS for advanced users to benefit from, while at the same time allowing and properly supporting development of native applications for ordinary users. I can't see how popularity among millions of ordinary users could be in any way negatively affecting the usability of the OS for the small group of geeks, or vice versa. Both these worlds can easily co-exist, just like they did on e.g. Maemo 5 where Nokia did have a store with commercial apps and it didn't make the platform any less attractive for geeks. Both Maemo Extras repos and the Ovi store just co-existed without affecting each other in any way.

So it is really amazing for me, that the very same people who created Maemo, and thus witnessed how both the "mainstream user" and the "geek" userland peacefully co-existed and mutually benefited each other on Maemo 5 (and even more on Harmattan, where out of 2+ million units sold an OVERWHELMING MAJORITY were normal users, not geeks), just don't want to do the same on Sailfish OS.

Quote:

Android has something both for the mass appeal and for the userland geek if you know where to look, Jolla seems to make the latter a priority. The latter is much more important than the former.

Jolla does not have to do anything but to simply whitelist the missing Qt libs and launch a store supporting paid content, PERIOD. Just as little as that - a ONE TIME effort. No one expects or needs them to do anything else. Provide 3rd party developers with just these two things and they will just start making and releasing their apps themselves, without any other effort or investment from Jolla. So it is NOT about any kind of "priorities" because it does not take any long-term, continued effort from Jolla. Jolla could sacrifice A WEEK to add support for paid content and the missing Qt libs to their store, and then just FORGET about it and again focus entirely on their core OS - developers would do the rest. I can't see why e.g. QA of paid apps in the store would be taking any additional efforts than QA of free apps, etc.

Anyway, just like I said, if only a HANDFUL of people care to demand it then Jolla surely WON'T do it, ever. And this way it will remain the most niche smartphone platform in history (20 times smaller than even the ultra-niche N900), which sooner or later will make Jolla run out of money and that will be the end of the project. Even if their main target is geeks, without making money on mainstream users they just won't get far. And to start making money on mainstream users they need to finally do just about ANYTHING to start attracting them, with availability of a decent number of high quality native apps (taking proper advantage of the platform's unique features like real multitasking, Active Covers, TOH, etc.) obviously being the most important thing.

P.S. No possibility to buy a spare battery, 1.5 years after the phone's launch, has nothing to do with Jolla's "priorities", either. It is just yet another example of how CHAOTICALLY they run their business.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Apr.2015 18:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Well, if they plan to merge with Nokia again then I believe it is worth waiting for.

Don't hold your breath, Keltic, Nokia is as likely to go back to phones as it is to wood pulp and rubber products I would say. Does'nt mean they could'nt licence their logo mind you.
Quote:

It would be nice if Jolla had said that they they focused on the OS geek, rather than (even advanced) smartphone user.

I doubt there are enough of those to maintain a profitable business.

I personally bought it for the UI, not for the OS. I still very much enjoy the UI and think it is much more fun to use then then Ios or Android. But I am very disappointed by the lack of apps. I expect they will lose their mainstream users because the Android compatibility is limited and the lack of any serious native app ecosystem. I think they are doomed if they don't start taking their current customers seriously and stop hobbying around with pet projects to try to interest device manufatureres to license their OS. This is a dead end.

The only way foreward for a high labour cost company is to offer a premium product. They UI is premium, but the rest of the experience, hardware, apps, interoperability with (corporate) security frameworks etc. is lousy. This may be fun for OS geeks, but is untolerable for mainstream users.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 320

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 30.Apr.2015 13:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I expect they will lose their mainstream users because the Android compatibility is limited and the lack of any serious native app ecosystem.

I'm afraid they've never managed to get any mainstream users in the first place... Wink

But of course you're right. Lack of apps is the main problem.

Although I must say I'm getting along quite well "most of the time" without using any Android apps.
The only Android apps I use regularly are Threema (I refuse to join Whatsapp), "Quizduell" (a quiz game) and "DreamEPG" (an "enhanced remote control" for my Vu+ Linux sattelite receiver).

I'm quite certain there will never be a native version of the first two apps (too small userbase for a company to make it worth the effort) while an alternative to the last one could be made (open API) but THAT userbase is really tiny - people using an enigma based Sattelite receiver like DreamBox or Vu+ AND also using a Jolla...

Of course most of the good native apps I use regularly are only available through Openrepos, not Jolla store.
Which shows us again the official ecosystem problem.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 30.Apr.2015 16:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

More than 2 million people in 8 months bought the N9 running a niche OS, starting from zero native apps (but quickly reaching thousands, within its very short life time, thanks to proper development support and possibility to normally distribute/sell apps via the Ovi store), without Android compatibility.

Less than 50,000 people (1/40th) bought the Jolla in 17 months, despite its Android compatibility, but hardly any native apps.

Apparently, only the most geek N9/N900 users 'upgraded' to Jolla, but hardly any mainstream users followed them.

There cannot be a better proof that ACL has absolutely no impact on sales. While maybe it makes feel better those who would buy such phone anyway (for its other features), it clearly does not attract anyone else, and it SURELY does not make any Android users switch to such an ACL-enabled platform instead. These are FACTS, on both the Jolla and BB10.

Let's remind ourselves how strongly and how frequently Jolla was talking about Android compatibility when they were announcing and launching the platform. No other feature was promoted that strongly - you could hear "Android" in every sentence they were saying. Which means that they really believed it would be the key selling point. It quickly turned out that it wasn't, at all.

Same for BB10. But the fundamental difference is that as soon as BlackBerry realized that ACL gives them nothing they instantly stopped promoting Android compatibility (and even entirely dropped multiple other development technologies like AIR or Flash development) and they FULLY switched to promoting and supporting native development - fully functional app store, fully mature SDK, superb documentation of everything (Qt, Cascades, core QNX) - the result of which being tens of thousands of native applications by now.

Whereas Jolla did absolutely NOTHING to even just ALLOW proper native development. The SDK is still "beta" after 1,5 years (and even that is just a marketing trick, as they switched from "alpha" to "beta" only because they... upgraded the QtCreator version in it), the official app store not only doesn't support paid apps but it still does not support *ANY* popular Qt modules, making it impossible to release there any advanced apps even for free, their documentation is a bad joke (only Silica, and even that partial, absolutely no documentation of Sailfish OS unique APIs), and so on. The result of which being hardly any native apps, the result of which in turn being hardly any phone sales. All those geeks already bought their Jollas long ago, no one else does.

... which, sadly, does not seem to have caused absolutely ANY reflection of Jolla. Now it's all about the tablet (in order to once again sell it to up to 50,000 geeks and no one else), and then maybe it'll be all about some ****ing smartwatch or something like that. Clearly, their goal is to SHOWCASE to HYPOTHETICAL (I'd say purely imagined) licensees that their system can run on multiple devices, and all the users are just GUINEA PIGS needed to show that the OS works in real life conditions. The problem is that if only they bothered to make just that tiny effort to just ALLOW normal native development thanks to which native apps would start coming in decent numbers, not only they'd start selling more devices (and thus earning more) but it would be MUCH EASIER for them to find someone willing to license a platform with a vivid ecosystem, rather than such a dead one. But they just refuse to acknowledge this simple fact.

And, unfortunately, majority of their users are just AS DUMB AS THEM, as having spent over 400 Euros on such a dead-end product they don't even bother to try to force Jolla to start properly supporting it, at least not worse than any other company does. But when such people buy a $0.99 application and there is a SLIGHTEST issue with it, they flood the developer with "what a rip-off!" type complaints, like what I got recently only because I have two separate apps of the same kind (a headless one and a non-headless one, working differently and serving different purpose) whereas those people would expect only one version to provide both functionalities, and that obviously for the same $0.99 price, or even better for free.

A company that doesn't support its products + users who don't demand getting proper support = this cannot end up any better than an utter failure.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 20.May.2015 15:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So it looks that Jolla has finally found a partner.... the Russian government.

Russians want to create "their own OS based on Sailfish OS'. And that, as the rumor has it, to become independent of "western OSes", including Android (which probably means that their Sailfish OS based OS would lack ACL). They are afraid that "western OSes" spy on their citizens whereas they probably want to spy on their citizens only themselves Wink

Question is if Jolla will profit anything from such a partnership.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/russia-mobile-platforms-ios-android-natio nal-security/

Russian government has allegedly already started to pay developers for porting their software to Sailfish OS

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/09/from-russia-with-love-for-open-source  /

The following users say THANKS! for this post: alexpain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic