MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
gPodder Podcast Client

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 16.Dec.2011 14:04    Post subject: gPodder Podcast Client   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.02, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder 3.0.2 for Harmattan
    A new version of gPodder (a free podcast, YouTube and Soundcloud downloader) has been released today. It has been uploaded to the Community OBS (Apps For MeeGo) and to Ovi Store, and is waiting in each QA queue for approval. Some new things to look out for:

• Common Prefix Elimination: A very cool name for a very space-efficient feature. If all episodes in a podcast have the same prefix in their title, the prefix is stripped. This usually gives you more information about the episode on screen without wasting space with repeated information.

• Audio Player Scrubbing: You probably know the seeking buttons in the media player. These buttons now show their meaning in a text popup when pressed and - and here comes the cool part - allow you to "scrub" through a podcast.

What scrubbing means is that you can touch-and-hold a button and then scrub on the screen up and down (or left and right - it doesn't really matter, just the distance counts) and the action of the button will be carried out multiple times. This lets you quickly navigate through long podcasts or mixes if you are searching for a certain passage.

Some bugs (like the YouTube episode sorting issue) have also been fixed, more on that in the release announcement. gPodder 3.0.2 "Agent 99" will be available in Ovi Store and Apps For Meego shortly.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Jan.2012 15:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

gPodder 3.02 is not available yet, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Argh Ovi Store and COBS (and stray .debs in Forums)! ..or: I want my Maemo Extras back
    Rant mode on (once again). The reason why gPodder 3.0.2, which has been released two weeks ago has not yet made it into Ovi Store is not because I was lazy (in fact, I uploaded the .deb on the same day as the release day, i.e. 2011-12-13) but because it took Ovi Store QA one whole week(!) to realize that the gPodder package isn't optified. Guess what? Optification isn't really needed by Harmattan anymore, and the Ovi Store has passed all previous gPodder releases which have been packaged exactly the same. Apparently they decided it's necessary this time.

Cool, so now I have to modify my packaging, and Marius' maemo-optify isn't in the Madde environment of the Qt SDK (and I'm not even sure if the package would be accepted then).

For some other reason, my gPodder 3.0.2 package hasn't yet been accepted in Apps For MeeGo even though I've submitted two requests already (and one should be enough?). Add to that that the Community OBS is not really easy to understand or use, but then maybe it's just my incompetence and other developers have no problem with it. It might also be overkill now that nobody cares about building against all these dead MeeGo UXes. The only thing I want to build my stuff against is the latest Harmattan release.

Contrast that to the simplicity, ease of use and clarity of Maemo Extras and its fabulous autobuilder. While it had its own problems, it was surely easier to use, and you knew where the packages came out, and the Maemo 5 Extras QA process has been fine-tuned for several months now. Can't we just have the same for Harmattan? :/

Oh, and by the way: I'd much rather trust an Extras repository (or even the OBS if need be) with a Community-driven QA and building on the server (with sources readily available for the interested!) than the Ovi QA - my Calenderr Hack, which modifies .desktop files of Nokia-provided built-in packages was uploaded by somebody else (I still haven't seen the full source of that package, and only found out that it has been uploaded by a post in the forum thread..) to Ovi Store, and it got accepted.

Bonus question: Which is the most comprehensive software directory for Harmattan? Answer: My-MeeGo.com's ad-infested Software Catalog, mixing Ovi Store links with deeplinks to .debs on some random web servers (and doing a very good job at it, they got most of my Ovi apps/games and random .debs listed). They even got lots of user comments that provide good feedback for developers, while apps.formeego.org looks nice and is ad-free, but contains a whopping 10 stable apps in its directory for the N9, with 14 more apps waiting for review. Because apparently it's hard to come up with something like Maemo.org Downloads for Harmattan.
--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Jan.2012 17:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

My-MeeGo.com's ad-infested Software Catalog

Ad-infested...? Well, please note that the difference between My-MeeGo and Maemo.org (and also MeeGo.com and apps.formeego.org) is that those sites are more or less sponsored or maintained by some organisations, companies or communities, while My-MeeGo isn't sponsored by anyone, but it still gets an enormous traffic which simply costs money. Since the My-MeeGo software catalog got popular, the daily traffic again reached 7-9 GB, up to 250 GB a month, like in good old Symbian times... And it just *has to* be paid for. One look at the "Support" thread on this forum is enough to realize that these days majority of people don't want to donate (that thread has over 6100 views and there have been around 20 donations, i.e. 0,3%), so in case of platforms like Maemo or MeeGo ads are the ONLY revenue source besides (rare) donations... So they are simply a MUST, despite of how much I hate them myself... And still so few people click them, anyway...

I would like to also point out that while there are several ads per page, all of them are static. No pop-ups, automatic redirections, no ads playing any sounds or moving by themselves all over the page, etc. And they are clearly separated from the content and easily recognizable as ads (unlike e.g. on n9-apps.com where ads are shown in identical boxes as app icons so I guess a lot of people are mislead to click them), so it just takes NOT LOOKING at them if one doesn't want to... And they don't eat any traffic while the site is browsed on the N9 as N9 built-in browser's Javascript support is apparently so poor that it does not show Google ads at all...

But I really appreciate mentioning the site and calling it the most comprehensive software catalog! It looks that Thomas is one of the first developers who publicly said so... Majority of others usually just keep complaining about one of their apps not being updated (even if it's just one day after the release and they did not notify me about it in any way), or the site looking ugly, or listing their apps without asking for permission (thanks God they don't expect me begging for it on my knees Cool ), or actually everything else. So I'm really grateful for thp's kind opinion.

On a different note...

Quote:

it took Ovi Store QA one whole week(!) to realize that the gPodder package isn't optified.

Now, that's interesting! Unlike on the N900 where /opt/ is on a different partition (so optification is useful as thanks to it files don't take precious limited rootfs space), on the N9 / N900 /opt/ is just a folder under large / (i.e. rootfs) partition and not on a separate partition. Due to this, optification on Harmattan is actually completely pointless... It does not do any harm, but it doesn't provide any advantages, either. It's sad that those QA Ovi Store people don't know that... Maybe the MeeGo community should offer them some free training...

Quote:

my gPodder 3.0.2 package hasn't yet been accepted in Apps For MeeGo even though I've submitted two requests already (and one should be enough?).

... while My-MeeGo lists all apps without ANY requests, instantly Wink Maybe that's why we have over 1000 and they have just 10...
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Jan.2012 03:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The gPodder in My-Meego is still 3.01
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Jan.2012 03:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That's because it is linked from the Ovi store, so the version is the same as on the Ovi store where it apparently hasn't been updated yet.

I can't switch links for every application back and forth between Ovi store and developer's home page every time Ovi store has some delay...

The new version will become available from this site the same minute as on the Ovi store.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Jan.2012 17:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.0.3, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder 3.0.3 for Harmattan
    A new version of gPodder - a podcast and video manager - has been released today. In addition to improvements to the existing YouTube support, this version adds support for downloading videos from Vimeo (so if you wanted to get ahold of ye olde Maemo 5 "Getting Started" video from two years ago, subscribe to metalab on Vimeo, but I'm pretty confident that you can come up with better uses of the Vimeo support Wink.

Anyway, the new king of Harmattan repos is Apps For MeeGo, as everyone knows, and so start your Community QA engines and review gPodder 3.0.3 in Apps For MeeGo Testing. If you don't have the Apps For MeeGo Client on your N950 or N9, click here to download the enabler. It has also been uploaded to Ovi Publish, but if and when it appears there is anyone's guess. Don't hold your breath and switch to Apps For MeeGo for downloading (and publishing if you do!) your open source Harmattan apps.

The 3.0.3 version of gPodder packs some long overdue improvements to the Harmattan QML UI (for example, the toolbar has been cleaned up, an about box has been added and you can now check for new episodes from the toolbar) with more to come in the future. In general, 3.0.3 should provide you with a more Harmattan-esque user experience. You can always get your wishes and problems heard at the gPodder bug tracker - make use of it! Smile
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 24.Jan.2012 10:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

gPodder 3.0.3 has become available at Ovi Store. One can update to this version via "All downloads" in the Store app.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Jan.2012 18:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.0.4, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder 3.0.4 for Harmattan
    Version 3.0.4 of gPodder has been released today. A new Harmattan package has been built and uploaded to Ovi Store (still waiting in QA) and Apps For MeeGo. You can already get gPodder 3.0.4 for Harmattan from Apps For MeeGo Staging now. Please test this version and review/rate it on apps.formeego.org so it can be put into the non-staging (stable) area of AFM.

While you can look at the complete list of changes in the release announcement, Harmattan users might be happy to know that the episode prefix elimination has been further improved and a play queue (screenshot 1, screenshot 2) and episode list filters (screenshot 1, screenshot 2) have been added.

The play queue feature comes in handy when you have a long car commute and want to listen to several episodes back to back without having to interact with the screen to play the next episode. It is also helpful to queue up several music podcasts to use as background music while working.

The episode list filters help you to quickly find the episodes you want, e.g. only show episodes that have been downloaded. Text search is not yet possible, but you can now hide deleted episodes just like on Maemo 5.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Mar.2012 16:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.1.0, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder 3.1.0 in Apps For MeeGo Staging and Nokia Store
    new version of gPodder has been released, and the package is already available from Nokia Store here, and waiting for your QA feedback in Apps For MeeGo here. This works for both N950 and N9 users. To get access to Apps For MeeGo, go to http://apps.formeego.org/ on your device, and install the Client from there.

The new gPodder version comes with some improvements for Harmattan users:

• Redesigned artwork for the main window and episode list
    • Better arrangement of podcast list and cover artwork there
    • New preferences menu, containing gpodder.net and orientation settings
    • New empty state UI for first-time users
    • Various other changes to be more in line with the UX Guidelines
    • Context menu item to delete episodes without downloading them

I hope you enjoy this new release - please report any issues you find or ideas you have at http://bugs.gpodder.org/ - and don't forget to QA the package in Apps For MeeGo.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 30.Apr.2012 16:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.1.1, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder gPodder 3.1.1 for MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan
    A new version of gPodder, the podcast manager, has been released, and with it (as always) come some new features for the Harmattan (N950 and N9) version. The most visible on (apart from bugfixes) is the new multi-episode selection sheet, which allows users to select multiple episodes at once to either download, playback or delete. Options for "Select all", "Select downloaded", "Select none" and "Invert selection" are provided by the longpress context menu in that list and will modify the selection accordingly.

And yes (as some people are still surprised to learn that): With gPodder, you can also subscribe to YouTube and Vimeo channels (users) and download the videos to your device for easy offline viewing and archiving. Combined with the N9 Media Pushing plug-in by Georg Jens, you can then even play back your YouTube or Vimeo videos on DLNA devices on your home network. Of course, this also works for the RSS "video podcasts" that gPodder also supports in addition to YouTube and Vimeo.

gPodder 3.1.1 "The Preachification of Convincing John" has been uploaded to the Community OBS (Apps For MeeGo) and to Ovi Publish (Nokia Store), and should be available to users in the upcoming days. As always, enjoy this new release and report any bugs or feature requests at bugs.gpodder.org Smile
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.May.2012 14:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.1.2, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder 3.1.2 for MeeGo Harmattan
    It's another month, and (given the monthly release schedule of the app) it's not really a surprise that a new version of gPodder has been released. This is mostly a bugfix release, but brings one very useful feature to gPodder: The ability to hide downloaded podcasts from the Music app. While this is nothing new to command-line fans who edit tracker-miner-fs.cfg by hand, there has not been an end-user friendly way to do it. Now there is: You can just flip a switch in the gPodder Settings and hide the podcasts from the Music app (which does nothing more than adding or removing the gPodder directory to tracker-miner-fs.cfg's IgnoredDirectories list), which is especially useful in a situation where your downloaded podcast accumulate (this happens to me right now - less time to listen to podcasts) and you play your music in "Shuffle all" mode.

Other improvements include a small fix for the episode list filter button for locales where the text sometimes became longer than the button:

As you can see, in the left screenshot (gPodder 3.1.1) the "Hide deleted" text (in German: "Gelöschte verstecken") goes over the toolbar button. To "fix" this, the toolbar button has been made wider (right screenshot, gPodder 3.1.2), which (in my opinion) also looks a bit nicer.

The rest of the improvements include some fixes to the CLI, updated and added translations, and some minor build system fixes - read the full changelog if you want the gory details Smile

The MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan package for gPodder 3.1.2 has been uploaded to Apps For MeeGo and Nokia Store already, it should hit Apps For MeeGo Staging in a few hours (please do the QA procedure for it then, so it can land in Apps For MeeGo proper) and it should hit Nokia Store in a few days when QA has finished.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 27.Jul.2012 08:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.2.0, see blog post. Excerpt:
    gPodder 3.2.0 "The Great Radish Famine" released
    We've been on a short summer break the last two months, and have waited to release this version until we got Flattr support and MP3 player device sync back into mainline gPodder. This means that packagers can now start packaging gPodder 3 for their distributions if they have been keeping back because of the device sync features. The device sync patches have been ported from gPodder 2.x by Joseph Wickremasinghe and the Flattr support was mostly implemented by Bernd Schlapsi - thanks to both of them for the great support! Other fixes:

• QML UI: Show cover art in "All episodes" (bug 1602)
    • Add "on_channel_context_menu" (patch by Nick Stevens)
    • MP3 player device sync support (bug 1579, by Joseph Wickremasinghe)
    • Threading: Use util.run_in_background to spawn threads
    • QML UI: Set title bar text for multi-select sheet
    • QML UI: Scroll episode list when opening last item
    • Gtk UI: Initial hack for embedded shownotes display
    • CLI: Show more of the title when updating feeds
    • Flattr integration (bug 1576, by Bernd Schlapsi)
    • DB schema: Cleaner upgrades, fix column order
    • Updated translations and various bug fixes

As always, a detailed changelog is available at gpodder.org/changelog/3.2.0.
gPodder 3.2.0 for the Nokia N9 became available today via update.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 27.Jul.2012 11:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is a bug in the new gPodder 3.2.0. The program terminates after it has displayed the splash screen for a few seconds. When I enter "gpodder" in Terminal, I get the error "Import Error: cannot import name log".

Edit: see bug report.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 28.Jul.2012 20:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thomas Perl has released gPodder 3.2.1, see blog post. Excerpt:
    ggPodder 3.2.0 (and 3.2.1) released for Harmattan
    gPodder 3.2.0 "The Great Radish Famine" has been released this week, and some users (not including me, otherwise I would have caught the bug earlier) had problems with the upgrade (see bug 1627 for details), so that's why gPodder 3.2.1 is already on its way to AFM and Nokia Store today. Expect the bug fix to appear as an update in the next few days.

Highlights of 3.2.0 are an improved UI (e.g. cover art in the "All episodes" list) and Flattr integration, so you can now support podcast authors via micropayments (you'll find the Flattr button below the shownotes for podcasts that publish a Flattr URL).

The gory details about what went wrong with packaging this time can be found in the 3.2.1 blog post, and bug 1627 contains - special thanks to Reiner for providing the necessary debugging info needed to get this sorted out (again, I was not experiencing this bug myself).

If your 3.2.0 update worked out fine (the bug didn't affect all users), this is not for you - just enjoy 3.2.0, and install 3.2.1 when it comes out Smile
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Aug.2012 08:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

gPodder 3.2.2 has become available as an update. It has solved the problem with crash at startup.

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic