MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
BlackBerry may launch Android phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 12.Jun.2015 18:19    Post subject: BlackBerry may launch Android phone   Reply with quote   

From Reuters:

BlackBerry may launch Android phone http://reut.rs/1MOSj6T via @Reuters

Reuters has learned BlackBerry may use Android on an upcoming phone this fall, a sign its revamped phones haven't gained traction. Fred Katayama reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

Remember BlackBerry? The pioneering smartphone maker is thinking about doing what was once considered unthinkable: putting rival Android software on its smartphone for the first time. Sources tell Reuters it'll probably use Google's Android on an upcoming phone this fall that will combine a touch screen with a physical keyboard. That would give its keyboard-loving fans access to the much wider selection of apps that Android offers. Such a move would be an acknowledgment that its revamped line of phones hasn't gained mass appeal. The company had bet big on its BlackBerry 10 line. The problem: it lacks a big lineup of apps. The company that once ruled the smartphone world now has less than a one percent share of the market, so many developers aren't designing apps for it.. Another reason for BlackBerry to add Android: the company is touting its new mobile management device platform. That system allows institutional clients to manage and secure devices ranging from BlackBerrys to those running on Apple's and Windows' operating systems. With its own Android device, BlackBerry could show it's confident it can manage devices powered by rival operating systems. BlackBerry shares, down 16 percent this year, rising in early trading. While BlackBerry has slashed the number of workers in its bid to turn itself around, it says it's still committed to making devices.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 15.Jun.2015 16:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Now, this is ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.

BB10 already does include Android compatibility. The compatibility level is very high out-of-box. If there are apps that do not work then mostly NOT because of any ACL compatibility constraints but because of lack of Google Play services some apps require / depend on. It takes an average user 5 minutes to install Google Play services, so if BlackBerry needs nearly perfect compatibility they should think about providing them by default.

Launching an Android phone would provide ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFITS. It would run THE SAME Android apps as their own BB10 phones, but less all BB10 apps. BlackBerry would not gain any Android users (who already have zillions of their favorite Android phone makers to choose from and they don't need yet another one) while at the same time they would lose BB10 fans. Launching an Android phone would ULTIMATELY kill BB10 and they would end up with nothing whatsoever.

Besides, I can't imagine how a company which has always been so strongly focused on SECURITY could switch from operating system so HIGHLY SECURE as BB10 to AS INSECURE operating system as Android. As ACL, Android is controllable because it lives in its sandbox and can do only what the host operating system (i.e. BB10) permits it to do, and whatever runs in ACL cannot impose any threat to what works on the native side. As the actual main operating system, the whole device would be as susceptible to all the countless exploits, security holes, malicious apps, viruses, as on any other Android device. I can't imagine how BlackBerry could maintain their reputation of the leading provider of security solutions after switching to Android.

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Tuesday, 16.Jun.2015 16:13; edited 1 time in total

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16.Jun.2015 10:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This doesn't make any sense to me, either.
I completely agree with your statement, Michal.

Crazy.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16.Jun.2015 16:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This is a strange world in which more and more companies suddenly decide to finish off themselves. First Nokia. Then ex-Nokia, i.e. Jolla, who by all means have been avoiding as much as they can to start building their own native ecosystem. Now BlackBerry who apparently wants to end up as one of a zillion Android phone makers that no one needs. They think they can be like Sony or Samsung but they're forgetting that Sony or Samsung manufacture millions of other things, not just phones.

And the same things are also happening in other industries. For instance, Citroen has recently announced that they are about to ditch their famous hydropneumatic suspension. Not so long ago their most prestigeous and comfortable cars have been moved to a separate DS brand (owned not directly by Citroen but by PSA, i.e. actually mostly by Peugeot), now they're ditching Hydractive, so ABSOLUTELY NOTHING remains that could differentiate Citroen from any other brand on the market, especially their sister Peugeot which they share engines and everything else with. I can smell their bankruptcy already now.
jApi NL
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
14 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia E90 , 9500

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Jun.2015 13:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

CEO's , Kings , Generals and such think along simple lines

1. About the past : in a big world one needs many small companies .
2. About the future : in a small world one needs only one company ( and I think I'm the best CEO )

☺ Regards jApi NL
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 06.Aug.2015 18:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I heard today that it would be a BB10 device that would run full android in sort of a container.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 08.Aug.2015 16:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I heard today that it would be a BB10 device that would run full android in sort of a container.

Amazingly silly idea.... Well, but still better than switching to Android completely.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 09.Aug.2015 05:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Didn't the WeTab do that?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 10.Aug.2015 05:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Didn't the WeTab do that?

That's right. And - compared to ACL - it was a worse solution, because you needed to launch a wholly separate OS in a virtual machine, which was an overkill if you only wanted to lauch some app. It was also quite complicated to move data between the two separate OSes. Compared to this, ACL is fully integrated with the host OS so all data are acessible directly to both, and in order to launch an Android app you just click its icon, like if it was a native app.

Therefore, considering that BlackBerry already has a very decent ACL, I don't really get it why would they want to make a step backwards to a much more cumbersome solution.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.Aug.2015 21:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The funny side is if they will spend money on a "secure Android" and then add Google services on it. Google services and privacy cannot be combined and you don't know what will be sent to Google.

If BB10 comes with Google services and I want the option to uninstall it and it should not be integrated in the BB10 system. For example with Amazon store, I can't uninstall it or change its ACL. The only thing I can do I not to log into Amazon store so that they can't track me together with my phone. Also Amazon store is also running in the background if started so you have kill it yourself.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Aug.2015 02:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On my phone I can alter Amazon store's "Run when minimized" permission and of course I disabled it instantly. I never launched it and never created an account in it. I moved its icon to "Junk" folder that holds all useless things which cannot be deleted, which protects me from ever launching it by mistake. I can't see why would I ever need it. Same way, I don't need Google services, which can easily be installed on BB10 should one need it. None of those few Android apps I use requires it.

Google is a very annoying company. They change their APIs constantly. YouTube changes 3 times a year. Google Maps change permanently. Last week I had to update EasyStreetView because Google changed something. Now I have to remove the Panoramio layer from my apps because they dumped the Weather and Panorimio layers on Google Maps for no reason. And so on. It is a mess. And Android is a reflection of that mess - messy UI, lots of security issues, no clear roadmap.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 29.Aug.2015 17:37    Post subject: Pic's   Reply with quote   

Some pictures of the new BB Android phone:
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-venice-slider-spotted-once-again-some -clearer-images
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 29.Aug.2015 17:37    Post subject: Pic's   Reply with quote   

Some pictures of the new BB Android phone:
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-venice-slider-spotted-once-again-some -clearer-images
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Aug.2015 06:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I like the design very much, but I will buy * it ONLY if it comes with BB10 onboard. There's absolutely no reason why I would want to pay for it with Android inside.

* of course, even with BB10 I will buy it only if it has hardware considerably better than the Z10 I have.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Aug.2015 17:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P.S. This logic is really striking: because BB10 phones with low-end hardware haven't been selling well, we'll now release a high-end one with Android and this way we'll prove that Android sells better.

This is precisely the same story as with Nokia - only slowish single-core Symbian and MeeGo phones until the very end, and then much faster multi-core WP phones. Which didn't help them, anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic