MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla splitting into two companies and changing management

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 7

Phone: NOKIA Lumia 1020, Photon Q (with CyanogenMod)

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 02:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]
That's where Windows Phone came from as instead of developing Symbian and MeeGo themselves, they believed Microsoft would develop WP for them and they'd be only selling phones with it and earning easy money.
[...]

we must have lived on different planets in 2010/11...
Flop killed Symbian («burning platform...») and only then did Symbian³ go down the drain
Flop was planted as a mole, destroyed NOKIA so m@ke$$h!t could buy it up for a fraction of its value before he was hired.

again, i don't know on which planet you are living, but m@ke$$h!t NEVER develops anything
they buy (cheaply) steal, pirate ANYTHING to get a working software

• Blly the Gates hired a DEC engineer to develop Neanderthal Technology 'cuz they simply had no clue how to do it...
  • MSN? down the drain of history, they bought up Skype.
  • Office? Carbon copies of Word Perfect and 1-2-3

the only reason they sent the Flop mole was so NOKIA would improve LostDOS Paralysed and make it a usable software
ever heard of the usability of WP 7? useless was a compliment.
been Using the Lumia 1020 as my primary phone since my 2nd N900's USB port went south and honestly? MUCH (much) better then SailfishOS, and compared to Android? well not so much adware and shareware and spamware as on Android, but at least it works - hardly ever crashes.

again,
  • NOKIA OWNs MeeGo
  • hadn't it been for Flop backstabing it upon its presentation and blocking the manufacturing (to produce WP7 devices nobody wanted to buy...) they would have sold much more
  • they have plenty of time to bring it "up to date"

EDIT: 20'000 people bought a Jolla? 20'000 idiots (i'm 2 of them...) and with the way they did it, one really had to be an idiot to buy that cr@p Kopf tut weh Angry2 Assi Man Aufreg
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 04:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

we must have lived on different planets in 2010/11...
Flop killed Symbian («burning platform...») and only then did Symbian³ go down the drain

Sure. But don't you think that someone had to invite Elop to Nokia first and appoint him the CEO? He did NOT forcefully attack and conquer Nokia, he was invited and elected. And don't you think that those who did it knew well where he was coming from and what for? Do you really believe that those who let him in did so because they thought that it takes a Microsoft guy (a company that knows sh*t about the mobile market) to successfully go on with Symbian and MeeGo, or maybe rather it was all about partnership with Microsoft since the very beginning? And did you notice how they all kept their mouths shut the whole time while he was demolishing Symbian and MeeGo? Or did you see any of them ever protesting or at least hesitating?

Shortly speaking: Elop was not a mole that suddenly jumped out of its hole in the middle of Nokia HQ, taking everyone by surprise. Alone he would do sh*t.

Quote:

Flop was planted as a mole, destroyed NOKIA so m@ke$$h!t could buy it up for a fraction of its value before he was hired.

As I said, don't forget about all those Nokians who invited him, let him in, elected him, and kept their mouths shut all the time while he was destroying eveything bit by bit. You don't become a Nokia CEO only because YOU want it - you need to get invited, approved, appointed and then fully supported. The Board might have fired him countless times when seeing what he was doing in late 2010, whole 2011, early 2012. No one said a word, EVER.

Quote:

again, i don't know on which planet you are living, but m@ke$$h!t NEVER develops anything
they buy (cheaply) steal, pirate ANYTHING to get a working software

Oh, it is really completely out of scope of this discussion where they took their sh*tty Windows Phone from. But they needed Nokia to sell it, and clearly certain Nokia people wanted it, too (because they were stupid, bribed, or whatever else - I don't know).

Quote:

the only reason they sent the Flop mole was so NOKIA would improve LostDOS Paralysed

Why did Microsoft need Nokia is absolutely clear and obvious. Let's talk about why certain Nokians needed Microsoft and infected Nokia with Elop.

Quote:

ever heard of the usability of WP 7? useless was a compliment.

Why are you telling it to me? I knew it before the first Lumia was made. Tell it to all those high Nokia officials who didn't say A WORD when in early Feb 2011 (when the N8 and E7 were selling in 4 million units a quarter each) Elop issued his burning platform memo in which he threw tons of mud at Symbian and MeeGo and clearly informed that the company would dump them and switch to Windows Phone. I haven't seen absolutely any Nokia official protesting against it - have you?. So who's to blame? Really just Elop?

Quote:

again,
NOKIA OWNs MeeGo

So what? Have you seen them doing anything with it? They also own GEOS, since 1996.

Quote:

hadn't it been for Flop backstabing it upon its presentation and blocking the manufacturing (to produce WP7 devices nobody wanted to buy...) they would have sold much more

Months before the N9 was introduced, already in early 2011, in his burning platform memo, Elop clearly informed everyone what he was going to do. For the third time: have you seen a SINGLE Nokian exec protesting? The board might have fired him a dozen of times before he did any harm, and then a hundred of times more before he did the final harm. No one said a word.

Quote:

they have plenty of time to bring it "up to date"

Oh, sure. They're well known from being amazingly quick with such things. Like when they started making the (so much anticipated by everyone) touch UI for S60 in 2005, then in 2006 instead of showing it as planned on S60 Summit in Madrid they said they are just about to launch it, and it came out (S60 5th Edition on 5800 XpressMusic) as quickly as in October 2008, and even the release of the iPhone in mid 2007 didn't spoil their snail pace.
misterc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 05:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

Sure. But don't you think that someone had to invite Elop to Nokia first and appoint him the CEO? He did NOT forcefully attack and conquer Nokia, he was invited and elected. And don't you think that those who did it knew well where he was coming from and what for? Do you really believe that those who let him in did so because they thought that it takes a Microsoft guy (a company that knows sh*t about the mobile market) to successfully go on with Symbian and MeeGo, or maybe rather it was all about partnership with Microsoft since the very beginning? And did you notice how they all kept their mouths shut the whole time while he was demolishing Symbian and MeeGo? Or did you see any of them ever protesting or at least hesitating?
[...]

when you read the newspaper, do you EVER open it or do you just read the front page?

MeeGo = Maemo + Moblin
how about NOKIA thought about re-creating in the mobile phone market what was the de facto standard for PCs... WIntel
Intel was developing (and is still tooling on them, except now they hope for Lenovo and the like to help them distribute...) their CPUs on the mobile market
NOKIA however, was THE m@ke$$h!t + Intel of the mobile market so if Intel could get NOKIA to start working with LostDOS Paralysed, introduce Intel's mobile CPUs in the... mobile phones and because NOKIA was the IBM of the mobile world, it seemed like a done deal.
know what DOS originally stood for? Dirty Operating System developed by Seattle Computer Products, bought (cheaply of course) by m$ and "licensed" to IBM who saw the PC as an abomination and planed to drop the whole calamity after a couple years and letting Billy the Gates / m$ sunk back into oblivion... the rest is history and if Big Blue had known... they probably would have started developing OS/2 earlier...
anyway, m$ became m$ thanks to the PC and Intel, NOKIA and of course m$ saw the opportunity to repeat the coup on the mobile phone market.

what was NOKIA's take on this?
of course they knew Symbian³ was running on its last breath and needed a rejuvenation
were they happy about «burning platform memo»? probably not, but, okay, Symbian has to go...
were they happy about the stillbirth of N9 / MeeGo?
certainly not but by the time they realized they had been f#cked up by Blaamer and Flop and would have looked even more like fools if they had tried to stop it then.

did the NOKIA bonzes invite Flop to destroy their company?
sure they did
did they intend to lose hundreds of million or even billions in options and stocks and what not?
sure they did

again, you can read the front page and feel you got all the truth
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 06:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

MeeGo = Maemo + Moblin
Quote:

were they happy about the stillbirth of N9 / MeeGo?

Kindly explain what the N9 has to do with MeeGo (except for the system being POPULARLY but INCORRECTLY called so). What you described (correctly) as MeeGo above has never appeared on any mobile phone, because despite promises Nokia has never worked seriously on MeeGo Handset UX. The N9 was in fact Maemo based, with only a few small things taken from MeeGo. Calling it MeeGo was a trick, because by their agreement with Intel they were expected to bring a MeeGo phone to the market within certain time frame and - as I wrote - they haven't done much about it.

Quote:

of course they knew Symbian³ was running on its last breath

Since the release of Symbian ^3, Symbian (the whole UI, system applications, etc.) was getting more and more ported to Qt, with less and less of proprietary things remaining. Every update, like Anna and Belle, were pushing that transition forward. Few updates more (including Carla and Donna), and not much more than its microkernel and HAL would remain, which then could be easily switched to Linux without anyone even noticing any difference. So much for final breath, it was the beginning a wholly new life.

Quote:

certainly not but by the time they realized they had been f#cked up by Blaamer and Flop

If it makes you happy to believe that the entire Nokia management were naive brainless idiots who needed more than a year to realize that they were being gangbanged by Elop from the front and Ballmer from behind, rather than conscious supporters of the partnership with Microsoft, then fine, be happy with it.

Quote:

would have looked even more like fools if they had tried to stop it then.

And how do they look now? Make up your mind, buddy. So are they idiots or traitors? Or both?

Quote:

did the NOKIA bonzes invite Flop to destroy their company?
sure they did
did they intend to lose hundreds of million or even billions in options and stocks and what not?
sure they did

What the company had wasn't directly theirs, but only a fraction of it, depending on how much stock each of them owned. One can get compensated (with surplus) for such a loss in exchange for doing what someone else desperately needs (and what is expected to be bringing him hundreds of billions over the next decades). You have no clue about what one might have been given or promised.

Besides, check if maybe some major Nokia investors (e.g. those US based) didn't have much much more Microsoft shares than Nokia's and therefore if Microsoft's success wasn't much more important and profitable for them than Nokia's, even at the expense of Nokia's loss, and if so then maybe Nokia shares were only needed to CONTROL it and this way earn much more on Microsoft stock.

In other words: you spend e.g. $100m on Nokia shares in order to be able to control it and make it do what is expected to bring Microsoft tens of billions, whose stock worth $500m you also have, and which would make that stock worth twice more. So even if it would ruin Nokia and you'd lose that $100m of its stock, if thanks to it you'd earn $500m on Microsoft stock, you'd end up with $400m more than what you started with. Capisci?

Quote:

again, you can read the front page and feel you got all the truth

I don't read newspapers, I think by myself.

P.S. Thanks for putting the discussion about possible resurrection of Symbian completely off track.
misterc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 11:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]
That's where Windows Phone came from as instead of developing Symbian and MeeGo themselves, they believed Microsoft would develop WP for them and they'd be only selling phones with it and earning easy money.
[...]

Michal Jerz wrote:

Kindly explain what the N9 has to do with MeeGo (except for the system being POPULARLY but INCORRECTLY called so). What you described (correctly) as MeeGo above has never appeared on any mobile phone, because despite promises Nokia has never worked seriously on MeeGo Handset UX. The N9 was in fact Maemo based, with only a few small things taken from MeeGo. Calling it MeeGo was a trick, because by their agreement with Intel they were expected to bring a MeeGo phone to the market within certain time frame and - as I wrote - they haven't done much about it.
[...]

which MeeGo are you talking about?

you seem to have two different standards, one when it arranges you and...

i'll leave the discussion to that.

about Jolla / SailfishOS - it's worthless cr@p, only a matter of time they rejoin... Maemo Rolling Eyes
well, TMO is already there, Mer, so basically they can disappear without anyone missing them except those who throw / threw more good money after bad one.
too bad for them Afro

derailing the discussion about resurrecting Symbian?
there is no need of Symbian (³ or any other one), they can simply pick up MeeGo where they left it
again, plenty of time to up date it, right?
or again, when it arranges you, they have no time, no money, nothing...
why should they even bother?

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]
I don't read newspapers, I think by myself.
[...]

yeah, can see that...
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 12:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

misterc wrote:
which MeeGo are you talking about?

Michal is right. Nokia's MeeGo for the N9 is not "real" MeeGo, because it was not finished (probably still isn't) and mostly Nokia just used the same maemo-base and tweaked their own UI to their own liking, and just called it MeeGo (probably for marketing and contractual purposes with Intel).

After Nokia gave up on MeeGo as a whole, Intel was left alone trying to finsh it or make something of it. Didn't turn into much.

Here's a pretty good summary of the history (the untranslated version has more detail/insights, but this is close enough):

http://taskumuro.com/artikkelit/the-story-of-nokia-meego
misterc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 16:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

i'm perfectly well aware what the situation with MeeGo was

• co-development with Intel based on some code merge of Maemo Fremantle and Moblin
  • Mameo Harmattan which was a development of Fremantle and had little to do with the Intel co-op

Michal seems to have a hard time deciding what he is talking about, considering it just another Symbian because it reused the Symbian³ look to some extend with a Linux kernel and a very modern swip interface.
which is basically all he claims NOKIA needs for a rebirth of Symbian³
again

• NOKIA owns MeeGo
  • has 15 months to update it until their planed go to market date (Q3 2016)
  • certainly can afford a dev team to do this

maybe you should add a My-Android section to this site as you seem so thrilled by its virtues...

Intel obviously droped it and is meanwhile working with Samsang on tizen but i'm not aware of any other device then the Z1 offered since Jan 2015 in India and sold so far ½ a million devices... with ARM Cortex A7 ¦-)))))
think N9 did a lot better and would have done a whole lot better hadn't it been for Flop's death knells.

but i get the point - you are convinced FOSS is the panacea (i have been running openSUSE as my primary OS for over 8½ years...) but claim buntu-cr@p is open-source.
again, your vocabulary changes depending on what suits you...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 20:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
NOKIA owns MeeGo
has 15 months to update it until their planed go to market date (Q3 2016)

MeeGo(the real MeeGo, not harmattan as on N9) emerged into the Mer project that was picked up by Jolla. SailfishOS is stable enough, I am not sure how it was when initially released, as I got my phone roughly a year after the initial buyers, but it has had many software updates afterwards, and now it can be used as a daily phone without much trouble.
Quote:
about Jolla / SailfishOS - it's worthless cr@p, only a matter of time they rejoin... Maemo Rolling Eyes

Because mer is a continuation of Meego, it will be less effort fixing the parts of it that isn't good enough, rather than discard 3-4 years of development to do it all over again. You will need a lot of developers to do it all over again, and it's not really worth it. It just doubles up the effort without any gain.

If you are not happy with Mer using rpm-packaging, then blame meego, because they switched package manager when meego was still an active effort, rather than becoming the community effort that is now called mer. N9's harmattan didn't switch, well, because it wasn't meego.

If you are not happy with the GUI of SailfishOS then that has nothing to do with Mer at all. SailfishOS is just running on top of it, you can't blame the core for suboptimal GUI, although you cannot blame the GUI for suboptimal core either. In my opinion both core and GUI is good. You need wayland if you want android GPU driver support, mer is wayland ready. It would perhaps be possible to add android GPU driver support Xorg, but Xorg is an old technology that desperately need an update so I don't think it's worth the effort. It has even been called Xorg since The goal is to make wayland desktop ready anyways, and phones just don't have to be backwards compatible with what exist on desktop linux as it is written from scratch anywys.

If you are not happy with how SailfishOS isn't completely opensourced, then again that's SailfishOS's problem, and not Mer's. Mer is opensource.

An alternative to using Mer, is to go with Tizen instead. It is also a continuation of MeeGo, although I do think it's a worse choice. Still better than rewind 3-4 years and do them over again though.

Quote:
but i get the point - you are convinced FOSS is the panacea (i have been running openSUSE as my primary OS for over 8½ years...)

I have been using Linux the past 9 years, 8 years using gentoo as primary distro, although I don't see how that would strengten my arguments.

Quote:
but claim buntu-cr@p is open-source.

Huh, no one can deny that ubuntu is open source. I do not like them, or trust them for developing their own software though. The way they require you to assign the copyright to them(so they can relicense without asking you later), is not too cool I think, Upstart as a project works okay, but the whole mir situation feels like a complete waste of effort to me. I don't think ubuntu on phones is ready until they make mir a wayland compositor, rather than as a standalone project.

Ubuntu desktop and server is okay however since mir isn't required there.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: misterc

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 20:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

misterc,

Please, less colors, emoticons and exclamation marks, and instead of that please first read more carefully (and understand) what I wrote, because your replies have little if anything in common with that.

* I never praised Android, I only stated a fact that these days every company makes its mobile OS Android HARDWARE compliant, simply because it makes manufacturing phones (and also further maintaining the OS) incomparably cheaper and faster. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Android OS (software), it is about hardware compatibility only.

* I didn't say a single bad word about MeeGo and Maemo, I only stated a fact that their development was stopped years ago so they'd need serious work.

* I clearly gave Mer only as an example, I did not say it must be Mer. Same for Ubuntu - also merely an example. In both cases clearly stated so. You're not reading too well.

* I never said it couldn't be Maemo or MeeGo, I only said it could be Mer if Nokia couldn't or didn't want to make the effort of bringing Maemo/MeeGo up to date. I don't know if they do, and you don't know it either. They haven't even spelled that name once over the past couple of years.

* I very clearly explained why I think that a platform promoted as a Symbian successor rather than a MeeGo successor would have much bigger chances for success: simply because there were 200 million Symbian users (and further hundreds of millions also knew what Symbian was) and 2 million (100 times less) N9 users (and hardly any 'mainstream' user having ever heard of it). So while Symbian can readily use the existing nostalgy of millions of former users, MeeGo would need to be promoted from scratch, like a brand new system. That's the main if not the only reason.

* Besides, as I also clearly wrote, be it intended as a Symbian or N9 successor, such a platform would actually only differ by its UI (and you know how similar the UI of Symbian Belle and N9 were) and everything else would actually be the same, and if both Symbian components and MeeGo components were installed then it could actually be backwards compatible with both, and if both Symbian and Harmattan UI assets were installed it could also have a user-switchable UI of both, so I don't get it what actually is your problem with that. A NAME? Those were just some introductory ideas to start a discussion and maybe have some further ideas.

Quote:

Michal seems to have a hard time deciding what he is talking about, considering it just another Symbian because it reused the Symbian³ look to some extend with a Linux kernel and a very modern swip interface.

No, I don't have any problems deciding what I am talking about. I very clearly described what I think, it's just that you apparently haven't understood.

- Symbian's (obvious) advantage is its recognition and popularity, 100 times (10,000 %) that of N9. That's the SOLE reason why I am talking about Symbian - it is obvious for every thinking person that this thing alone would sell much more phones.

- It would need to be Linux based because these days no one would risk maintaining a wholly proprietary OS. And as the system is Qt-based, it is actually of no serious importance what OS works below Qt, as both users and developers only interact with what is from the Qt level up. BlackBery 10 has QNX OS, and it still allows running both Symbian and Harmattan apps (looking exactly as on Symbian or Harmattan) as soon as you install Symbian and/or Harmattan Qt Components.

- Be it intended either as a Symbian or N9 successor, it would only differ (and even that only slightly given how simular UIs of Symbian Belle and Harmattan were) by its UI and its NAME, with the whole rest actually identical - so your anger is beyond my ability to comprehend, because it would be more about just the NAME (that in case of "Symbian" would simply sell more phones) than about anything else.

LASTLY, put both Symbian Components and MeeGo Components on it and it would be compatible with both Symbian Qt apps and N9 apps at the same time. And additionally put both Symbian and Harmattan UI assets on it and let the user freely switch between Symbian and Harmattan UI for the entire system whatever suits him more. In such form, it might as well be promoted as "Symbian and MeeGo unified - Nokia's double come back in one", no technical problem at all.

What I wrote was just some initial ideas and thoughts - subject for discussion - as other people have seen it, until you came and started shouting and ridiculing every sentence I wrote, without even trying to understand it first.

Calm down, bro. We're all here wishing for the same - that instead of just providing its brand to boring Android phones made by others Nokia would go back to its own great heritage. There may be different ways to achieve it, so let's discuss it instead of shouting at each other.

--

P.S. Mer was created upon MeeGo, so what you're saying about Mer at least partially refers to MeeGo that's in it.

P.S.2 You're mixing Mer and Salfish OS, while they're two different things. Sailfish OS runs on top of Mer. Such a new "Symbian" or whatever it would be, would actually be INSTEAD of Sailfish OS, so what you don't like in your Jolla wouldn't actually be there at all.

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Friday, 17.Jul.2015 22:08; edited 1 time in total

The following users say THANKS! for this post: misterc

Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 21:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Mer Wiki wrote:
Mer aims to be a FOSS, inclusive, meritocratically governed and openly developed Core optimised for HTML5/QML/JS, providing a mobile-optimised base distribution for use by device manufacturers. Mer is based upon the work from the Core section of the MeeGo project and aims to share effort and code together with the Tizen project once Tizen tools and code are publicly available.

We have some clear goals:

To be openly developed and governed as a meritocracy -- see Governance for details
That the primary customers of the platform are device vendors – not end-users. info
To have a device manufacturer oriented structure, processes and tools: make life easy for them
To provide a device oriented architecture, see Architecture for details
To be inclusive of technologies (such as MeeGo/Tizen/Sailfish/Qt/EFL/HTML5/Cordova)
To innovate in the mobile OS space

A really important reason why Mer is a good choice is because it is made to be the core of multiple projects, rather than a large project itself. That means that if two different vendors are using it, and has different needs, then mer will be modular, and keep compatibility with both, and that the vendors themselves adds the code that is specific for their product.

Mer is not only powering SailfishOS, although SailfishOS seems to be the most finished product on top of it.

Other vendors using Mer, is the Nemo project, which lacks manpower, and lacks many features you would expect from a phone.

Seadot, which aims to make a successor to the WeTab OS, although this looks abandoned.

Plasma Active, which also use Qt, and is based in the KDE camp. Doesn't look very active, but doesn't look as dead as WeTab OS though. It is possible that I just didn't look for activity in the right places though.

If there is a commercially backed company that is interested in using Mer as a base, and make their own product on top then I see no reason why that would be a problem. Maybe some things would be moved from Mer to SailfishOS, or other way around, but it does look simpler to share a base between projects if the base is meant to be shared, than if it's taken from an existing system.

Ubuntu touch looks like one distribution, so probably will be more difficult to base on that and use a different GUI. Same with Tizen, looks like one project, so the core may be adjusted to fit Samsung's/Intel's goals rather than stay flexible to fit the common goals of multiple companies. Therefore the best company to make a product based on Ubuntu is Canonical, and the best company to make a product based on Tizen, is Samsung/Intel. Mer seems more flexible to anyone.

Even android is not very flexible, it is developed with primarily google's goals in mind.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2015 23:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Basically, it first takes that Nokia is interested in reviving their platform at all, and only then it makes sense to argue about MeeGo vs. Maemo vs. Mer vs. anything else as its base....

The reason why I posted all this was to show that such a thing is possible and actually very easy to do, and the results of it (in terms of obtaining a look and functionality closely resembling the original platform, and compatibility with its existing software made in Qt) might be nearly perfect, and based on Linux and Qt it would be also easy to further develop and maintain in the future.

I gave Mac OS as an example, because it went through exactly the same transition - from proprietary Apple system to Unix (and additionally through three completely different CPU architectures). With great results, as everyone knows.

I said that it should be Symbian, simply because of its recognition and nostalgy about it, much bigger than to any other platform. But in no way did I exclude that it could be e.g. Symbian and Harmattan successor in one, which is technically possible and not any harder to obtain, as it basically takes not much more than including both sets of Qt Components and both sets of UI assets. So it might be an N9 successor as well, the only important thing is so that it would be promoted as first of all a Symbian successor - for the reasons mentioned. Promoting it as "Nokia's double come back - Symbian and MeeGo united" might also get great reception.

I'd just wish people to understand that it is doable, quite easy, and can be done with as good results as Mac OS'es multiple historical transitions.

If - clearly - all the NEW platforms (Ubuntu, Sailfish OS, Tizen, BB10, WP, etc.) do not seem to be getting any serious interest, then maybe the only remaining alternative is to try with reviving such a "retro" one that once ruled the entire market and that millions of people are still fond of and nostalgic about.

Just that.

Unless you prefer Nokia to just stick their logos to Android phones made by Meizu - for me, the most unwanted and unneded thing I could think of.
misterc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.Jul.2015 19:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

if open source is the holy grail of all things, then yes i guess Mer is the choice
thinking of Meamo i can't help feeling FOSS wasn't such a good idea but one might of course argue whose fault that was - not going to open that box...
Android on a NOKIA device? that would be the N1 and it looks like (at least) Chinese do not share your disdain - i'm happy with my Moto Photon 4Q with CyanogenMod 11 and couldn't be bothered about another droid device. unless it had a QWERTY hardware slide-out keyboard and better then qHD... not holding my breath.
we'll know the whole story in about 2 years i guess...
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Thursday, 23.Jul.2015 21:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
If - clearly - all the NEW platforms (Ubuntu, Sailfish OS, Tizen, BB10, WP, etc.) do not seem to be getting any serious interest, then maybe the only remaining alternative is to try with reviving such a "retro" one that once ruled the entire market and that millions of people are still fond of and nostalgic about.

That is very true and many companies don't realize the potential of the vertical markets (specialized products). I would happily buy a revived Symbian phone (the real thing with the Symbian kernel, not some Linux with some browser UI on top).

I hope that Blackberry realize that Android will just make them even more dead. Blackberry should therefore expand their niche instead and continue with BB10.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.Jul.2015 00:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I would happily buy a revived Symbian phone (the real thing with the Symbian kernel, not some Linux with some browser UI on top).

Why call it "some browser UI"? It would actually be the EXACT SAME UI, no matter if on top of a Symbian or Linux kernel. The UI is made in Qt, not in "Symbian" or "Linux".

On Qt platforms, whatever the user sees and interacts with is made in Qt, so the OS that's underneath Qt is completely irrelevant. Why would you care what's deep down there if you can't even see it, and if it provides exactly the same functionality?

Reviving Symbian with its proprietary kernel is unrealistic - no one will do it, because no one will take all the costs, risks and difficulties of maintaining a wholly proprietary platform, if when based on Linux the maintenance and futher development of such a platform can be incomparably cheaper, easier and quicker. Even as mighty as it was in 2010, Nokia was going to move away from Symbian's proprietary core - that's why they were moving the platform to Qt. If they kept developing their own platforms (if there was no Elop), either they'd have gradually switched to Maemo/MeeGo entirely, or they would have done exactly the same as what I am suggesting now, i.e. moved Symbian entirely to Qt running upon a Linux core.

So I am not proposing anything new, but rather so that they go back to what they were going to do...
misterc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 24.Jul.2015 01:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

maybe consumers wouldn't be fooled by the Qt interface on top of... whatever?
one of the characteristic of Symbian was its stability and simplicity - Maemo / MeeGo weren't that far from it but still, would people "buy it"?
what does any of the FOSS based OSes have to call upon, to show off in terms of stability? sure it's better then Android but that's not a feat...
Nota Bene: Symbian wasn't exactly reputed for security (quite some malware) or privacy, so that's possibly not something those "Symbian nostalgics" would even care much about.
btw. wasn't symbian open-sources since NOKIA released it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic