MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla splitting into two companies and changing management

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Jul.2015 09:36    Post subject: Jolla splitting into two companies and changing management   Reply with quote   

https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/53_JOLLA_COMP ANY_STRUCTURE_JULY2015_FINAL.PDF

Quote:
For release on July 7, 2015, 2pm EET

Jolla strengthens focus on Sailfish OS licensing and
development; a new company to continue device business

Jolla Ltd., the Finnish mobile company and developer of open mobile operating system Sailfish OS, today announced a change in its company structure and management as further action toward company’s strategy to focus on Sailfish OS licensing and development.

As of today, the company Jolla Ltd. will concentrate on the development and licensing business of the independent and open mobile operating system Sailfish OS. A new company will be established to continue Jolla’s device business, where the company sees a specific interest from privacy-aware consumers and corporations around the world.

Dr. Antti Saarnio, Chairman of Board of Jolla Ltd. takes charge of leading Jolla Ltd. Dr. Tomi Pienimški, former CEO has been appointed to a new position outside the company, in which he will move during August. A new leader for Jolla devices business will be appointed during this autumn.

Antti Saarnio comments: “Every young company has to find its clear focus at some time, and for Jolla that time is now. We have huge opportunities in the Sailfish OS licensing business, and I am very proud and excited to take responsibility of steering the Jolla ship to a new commercial phase. After three years of intensive Sailfish OS research & development we are now moving full speed to new bigger waters, which requires full focus on software from the team.”

"We have already proven that there is demand for unlike Jolla devices in the market and we continue to see good opportunities for it. We have now decided to continue the Jolla devices business under a new company, focusing on security enhanced devices.”
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Jul.2015 09:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The exiting CEO is going to be a CEO for http://www.vincitgroup.com/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Jul.2015 17:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So who will now be manufacturing spare batteries for the Jolla?
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Jul.2015 23:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I would assume a connection between this restructuring and a possible (secret at the moment) agreement with Nokia about using Sailfish in new devices. It would be logical to do an UIQ - i.e. keeping Jolla as an external part and then officially "licensing" the system from them.

I am quite certain that there will be Sailfish based smartphones from Nokia when they re-enter the market.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 09.Jul.2015 07:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Let's hope that this new Nokia will not hire Jo Harlow and alike once again. Even Elop is now looking for a new job after he got fired from Microsoft.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Thursday, 09.Jul.2015 12:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My hope is just for a licensing agreement where Jolla remains an independent company and Nokia use Sailfish (a bit like the relationship between UIQ Technologies, Motorola and Sony Ericsson).

Nokia would be successful with a Sailfish based "N10" and "N960" (with keyboard) and I hope Jolla restructuring projects are aimed at making those things happen (easier).

By taking the Sailfish and add Ovi Store (or Nokia Store) to it for commercial applications, it would be a powerful revival of the Nokia brand and also facilitate the competition against Android. Among the systems available today, it feels like Sailfish is the prime candidate for Android replacement with Ubuntu Touch second and Firefox OS third (provided that they implement Qt instead of insisting on HTML5 web apps).

I would be happy to buy a Sailfish based Nokia N960 if such a device is released with high end hardware, large 6+ inch display and a great keyboard.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 09.Jul.2015 19:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

To be honest, for now I don't have any expectations when it comes to Nokia. It will be a wholly different company, different people, different goals, different business culture, only the name will be the same, nothing else... Therefore, for now it is completely unknown how they will do their business.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Jul.2015 18:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla is not the only one giving up on phones, Geeksphone also folded. So life for Firefox device producers is also not so easy apparently. Nor is it for the mainstream Android device manufacturers, most are not profitable. One may criticize Nokia for going with WP, but it is not at all obvious that choosing Android would have been any better.

Anyway, hardly a welcoming environment for new entrants..... Whatever OS they want to use.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/geeksphone-firefox-smartphones-out-wearab les-in/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 11.Jul.2015 17:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

One may criticize Nokia for going with WP, but it is not at all obvious that choosing Android would have been any better.

Nor is it at all obvious that staying with Symbian and/or MeeGo would have been any worse.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 11.Jul.2015 22:48    Post subject: The phone wars may be over....   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Nor is it at all obvious that staying with Symbian and/or MeeGo would have been any worse.

That is right, and a focussed strategy early on would probably have helped. But the reality is that Nokia was not able to pull that of.

We know now that Microsoft is largely pulling out of phones, writing of their Nokia investment and letting of most of the ex Nokia employees. They are now refocussing on Windows services on any divice.
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/microsoft-phone-job-cuts/

This latest move from Microsoft makes you think, were they wrong to buy Nokia or did Nokia force their hand by planning to move to Android?

Interesting podcast from Paul Thurrott about the developments with Microsoft here:
https://www.thurrott.com/podcasts/4579/what-the-tech-266-delivering-wi ndows-10

And Blackberry is reportedly moving in the direction of Android.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/blackberrys-new-domain-names-fuel-android -os-speculation/

Anyway, not much left in terms of alternatives for Android an iOS. Apple is hugely profitable, Samsung to, but the rest of the (mostly Android) phone producers are hardly in good shape.

But who knows, Nokia have been foolish enough before, they may be stupid enough to become the umpteenth android supplier. But being even more stupid and try to achieve what they failed miserably at before and Microsoft failed miserably at to: do something non-Android, that I doubt.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Jul.2015 18:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Contrary to what Elop was saying about Symbian, the release of Symbian^3 gave it a new life. We all remember how the N8 and the E7 were the best selling Symbian devices of all times - those two models alone were selling in numbers comparable to 50% of all iPhone shipments. And that was before the Anna/Belle update, not to mention the unreleased Carla/Donna and beyond. And then the 808 PureView was also selling amazingly well for its pitiful situation (already past the announcement that Symbian would be discontinued, not subsidized by network operators, etc). We can only imagine how things would have looked like without Elop, if all the planned Symbian updates were released, and if Symbian got HD display resolutions and finally some really powerful hardware (dual-core CPUs with good GPUs, more RAM, more devices with PureView cameras, etc).

And the N9 also showed that people wanted to buy such devices from Nokia. More than 2 million units sold in less than 8 months - past the announcement that MeeGo would be killed, unsubsidized, starting with zero software. 2m+ units was better than what e.g. the mighty Samsung is able to achieve with its Tizen now. Again, we can only imagine how things would have looked like if MeeGo was normally developed, promoted, if more phone models were released (the cancelled N950-like model, another one with PureView camera, and so on), if Meltemi came out in the low-end range, etc. Let's also remember that Alien Dalvik was ready for the N9 already in 2011, so it could have been added for Android software compatibility. On Symbian too, if needed.

In other words, Nokia was NOT forced to switch to anything else, neither WP nor Android. In early 2011 they had an ENORMOUS user base of hundreds of millions of faithful users worldwide. The only thing that was needed was just a little bit of consequence / consistence in what they started with the release of Symbian^3 and MeeGo. In fact, they did NOT even give them a chance - not even a short time to see how they would do. Elop's burning platform memo came on the very day that the E7 started shipping, and before the N9 even came out. So Symbian^3 was shot right at its birth, and MeeGo even before it.

Since 2010, iOS has never exceeded ~20% marketshare. It hit its ceiling and for years it's been just staying below it - not falling, but not rising, either. And so might have been the case with Symbian - quite possibly it would have stayed at its ~30% marketshare for many years. While at the same time MeeGo might have been slowly rising. From 2011, I can't recall a single person who wouldn't say that the N9 was an extremely good looking device with beautiful OS and that he/she might want to buy it if it was normally developed and further supported.

So much for Nokia. They made a huge mistake that costed them their own existence. And switching to Android would not have been any better - we've all seen what a failure their Android-based X series was, it did not get any measurable marketshare. It was selling just as poorly as Nokia Lumias - not in any way comparable to how the N8 or the E7 was selling. Staying with Symbian and MeeGo was the only way to go for them. In the worst case, at least it would have kept them alive for years and given them time to slowly and carefully plan their next moves.

And actually the very same applies to BlackBerry now. Switching to Android will make them disappear. It is idiotic to believe that people will suddenly start buying hundreds of millions of BlackBerry Android phones while there are dozens of established Android phone manufacturers on the market which already now is fully saturated. Why would ANYONE want to suddenly stop buying Samsungs, LGs or Sonys and instead start buying Android phones from BlackBerry - neither any more powerful, nor cheaper.

And being a company so strongly focused on security (and clearly wanting to remain focused on it), switching from one of the MOST secure OS on the market to probably the LEAST secure one is just a shocking idea.

As I said many times, the main reason of BlackBerry's poor sales is their hopeless choice of phones (hardware). Since early 2013, they haven't released ANY powerful full-touch device, i.e. the most popular smartphone form-factor there is. The Passport is the ONLY high-end hardware in their offer, everything else is as dated as the 3 years old Z10. So how can they expand if they stubbornly keep offering low-end phones only? Only slow dual-core CPUs (except for the Passport), no high-res cameras, no full-touch device with hardware more recent than 2012's Z10. So HOW do they intend to compete? The OS has nothing to do with it. Android on such a dated hardware won't change a thing.

All iPhone models, and some 95% of Android phones, are full-touch, which clearly shows that this is the world's most popular form-factor that people buy MUCH more frequently than anything else. Yet, surprisingly, this is where BlackBerry stubbornly does not offer absolutely ANYTHING that might make any Android user want to switch to BB. The Z10 in late 2012, then the Z30 in 2013 and then.... NOTHING, because the Leap (with its exactly the same hardware as in Z10 three years earlier) simply doesn't count in 2015.

So how any Android user (which is obviously the only way for BB10 to increase its marketshare) can seriously consider switching to BB10? Some of them MIGHT consider it due to BB10's good Android compatibility layer, but that only if the performance of the Android runtime (and therefore apps running in it) was comparable. But on BlackBerry full-touch phones' ancient hardware it just doesn't compete with recent Android phones. On my Z10 (and therefore also on the recently released Leap which has the same CPU and GPU as the Z10) Android's most popular benchmarking tool - Antutu - scores at around 17,000 points. Recent Android phones score in the 40,000 - 60,000 range. Even my Android-based smart-TV box that costed some 80 Euros scores 44,000. So the simple question is: who would want to exchange an Android phone for a BB10 phone with 3 years old, 3 times slower hardware - and that for a comparable price? Apparently no one, hence the poor sales. Nothing to do with BB10 OS itself whatsoever.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Jul.2015 17:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I fully agree with Michal. Going Android will kill BlackBerry since it is a crowded market and there is nothing BB could offer that would encourage people to buy their devices over any established competitor. If they introduce a keyboard equipped device and it get some traction, Samsung and other players would quickly follow suit, both with official keyboard cases for existing devices and new ones with it integrated.

BlackBerry should rather target the market segment where Communicators resided from 1996 - 2010/2011 approximately (the N900 and N950 could be considered Communicators). This means a device running BB10 with top specs and either a slide-out keyboard or a decent keyboard casing (integrate it like The Other Half) so it can be a full-touch device (for those who prefer that) or a full-blown keyboard one for other users.

Such device series could be made in 5" - 6" and 7" sizes in order to target different user groups within the main group (I would go for a 7 inch device since I have the Xperia Z Ultra now and have been into big displays since the Sony Ericsson P800 days).

The only thing I would like to add to the BB10.x is a replaceable home screen so third-party developers can create "launchers" for it like happened already on the UIQ2.x platform or Series 80 (PowerDesk) or GDesk (UIQ3.x).

A "BlackBerry Communicator" with an Active Keyboard, i.e. a casing that replaces the rear cover and switches the UI to a Series 80 styled "desktop UI" when the device is opened and the keyboard is folded out (the UI should go back to portrait orientation when the keyboard is folded back, i.e. when the user wants to use the device as a full-touch one).

The best thing with such a device is the ability of using it as a regular full touch one OR attaching the keyboard.

If BB make such a device and sell it packaged as a "full touch device" or with the keyboard casing included in the box - it would be an instant success if paired with powerful hardware such as Snapdragon 820 and 4 GB RAM, 32-128 GB internal storage AND microSDXC card slot and so forth. Another important part is to include a LTE radio with support for Europe/US/Canada, which would be another competitive advantage.

In the case of Nokia, a similar device based on Sailfish would be very interesting and it could be a spiritual successor to the N9 and N900/N950 at the same time with such a active keyboard cover.

I hope BlackBerry will come to their senses and release a truly powerful device like the aforementioned. The same applies to Nokia if they want to make a serious comeback. Considering that the "Nokia" brand still has positive recognition, a Sailfish device (system licensed from Jolla) could be very successful since I have a strong feeling that all former MeeGo/Symbian users who went Android in 2011/2012 would be happy to buy such a device again.

In my case, I keep using the Sony Xperia Z Ultra and will continue until a manufacturer introduce a powerful 6.5-7 inch device running either Android, BB10.x or Sailfish.

Edit: Providing Android on ancient hardware is a bad idea, generally speaking. It is not a good idea with other platforms either but much worse when using the same system as others since comparisons will be inevitable and they will favor the competition with better specifications.

BlackBerry should focus on developing the BB10.x and perhaps make it more open sourced than before and also stimulate third-party development of ROMs by cooperating with XDA-Developers and similar communities.

One thing is fore sure: If power users are attracted to a device/brand, they will recommend it to others - especially since they usually influence what their friends/families buy to a high degree.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Jul.2015 23:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The fact of the matter is that there is simply no profit in mobile phones, outside of Apple and Samsung. And the non-iOS market is getting worse, not better. This trend is not new, has been going on for some time. This artikel illustrates it well:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/if-its-not-an-iphone-its-not-likely-a-pro fitable-phone/
So bringing high cost, low volume phones to market is simply a loss making strategy. And non-Android phones are simply inferior phones as, despite even Android app compatibility, they are just less functional then regular Android phones. Especially as more and more apps require play store services to work. If you need such an app your Jolla, BlackBerry or Windows phone is just a great but useless phone. And the same goes for any alternatieve to iOS and Android.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2015 08:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

as more and more apps require play store services to work. If you need such an app your Jolla, BlackBerry or Windows phone is just a great but useless phone.

Let's not exaggerate. Installing Google Play Services on the Z10 takes five minutes, and even teenagers do it without any problems as you can see on their movies posted on youtube. And so it is on the Jolla.

It doesn't come preinstalled by default only because BB or Jolla don't want to pay Google for it, and not because there is any technical limitation preventing it. Nevertheless, all those who want to use Android apps which require Play services, certainly have it installed, anyway.

As for no money making on a non-iOS phone, excuse me but I don't get it. If you produce some device for let's say 100 EUR and sell it for 300 then you simply earn 200 on it, no matter what silly journalists say. It's a different story if you lose that money on some other things then, but that still doesn't mean you don't earn it.

Even Jolla CERTAINLY must have earned some decent money on their 50,000 Jollas sold, or else they would have died long ago (as I doubt that those 100 people have been working for 3 years for free), while they don't even seem to be in any kind of hurry with trying to sell some more.

Lastly, while it is true that it is harder to make money on expensive, high-end phones, at the same time it is the only way to make people recognize a platform as powerful and interesting. You certainly won't attract anyone to a platform that only offers phones with hardware from late 2012. So either you initially sacrifice your profit in order to popularize your platform with (at least some) less profitable but head-turning high-end devices everyone will at least talk about, or you will stay with an unpopular platfrom forever trying to make people interested in (theoretically more profitable - but only if anyone wants to buy them) cheap low-end phones containing absolutely nothing to attract anyone's interest.

Ask some Android users how many of them have ever heard of BlackBerry Leap - hardly anyone probably, if at all. While quite possibly nearly all of them know the high-end Passport (just not necessarily they like its strange form-factor), and quite possibly even more of them would be interested in an equally or more powerful traditionally designed full touch device or a typical slider.

As always, the best choice is to simply offer a range of devices - both some high-end ones to showcase your platform's potential and some more affordable ones that masses can buy. But BlackBerry doesn't do even that, considering no high-end full touch device since mid 2013 (while, as I wrote, full-touch is world's most popular form-factor, used on all iPhones and 95% of Android phones, i.e. something that majority of people clearly like buying the most).
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2015 12:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

When I read about "Apple and Samsung" being the "only" profitable companies, I just wonder one thing:

Should other manufacturers of mobile devices just exit the market altogether?

AFAIK there are a couple of profitable manufacturers and during the glory days of Nokia, no one posted things like "Nokia is the only profitable manufacturer" and then argued against other companies competing.

In the case of highend smartphones, they are very important and not to say necessary for a platform to become attractive. It is like the Communicators which really put Nokia on the map. Even if most people bought a 3310, 6210, 6310 and so on rather than a 9110i or 9210 - the latter boosted the brand in a huge way and promoted it as a maker of high tech products.

A platform need flagships in order to gain traction. The flagship create a reputation and this make humbler products shine just because of the positive attention and associations brought by the highend model. A true top-spec device with a price tag of $1000 gets a lot of attention - and an entry level $250-300 one is hugely boosted by the mere fact that it shares some things like the platform and some general design with the flagship.

The market for true highend devices like the Communicators exist. It is small compared to the maintream segment but it is there and it can be profitable provided that a proper strategy is employed. It is very important to understand that a flagship brings revenue in the following ways:

1. Direct revenue from the sales of the flagship itself.
2. Positive brand recognition meaning increased sales of other models.

Point 2 is important and the main benefit of having the flagship. It is better to sell 5 lowend devices because of the brand recognition brought by the highend model than to sell just 1 lowend device (because the brand recognition and positive association isn't there).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic