MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Project Astoria for Windows 10 Mobile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 09.Aug.2015 05:45    Post subject: Project Astoria for Windows 10 Mobile   Reply with quote   

Instructions (and tools) to enable/use the Windows 10 Mobile Android Subsystem (Project Astoria) have leaked online.

See the announcement here:
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-project-astoria-has-leaked

I will not provide the link to the actual utilities or instructions because they are of questionable origin (e.g. leaked).

That being said, it does work and I have loaded several Android apps on my Windows 10 Mobile test device (Lumia 920). The experience is meh performance-wise and slightly sluggish. Certain items (e.g. video playback) either do not work or are hit and miss. I am sure the somewhat lower-end specs of the Lumia 920 also do not help the performance.

Also interesting is the apps install without any sort of security/permission warning but I am not sure how much of the OS the apps can see. Here is what I can see from some basic tests:

Instagram for Android:
- cannot access Lumia 920 camera (but I am not sure the native camera app works either)
- can access photos, OneDrive, etc... to post photos so there is filesystem access

AnTuTu:
- Properly reports the device as Windows 10
- Reports Android version as 4.4.4 (which makes it a KitKat subsystem)
- Video Renderer is listed as "Windows OpenGL ES" (correct)
- RAM/Storage are all listed correctly so it can access the filesystem
- Running the actual test does not appear to work

SiriusXM Online:
- works (audio playback, etc...) but some stuttering due to performance

Final verdict:
Much like the Windows 10 Mobile experience, this is interesting but has some work to be done to be made usable.

Supposedly Project Astoria is meant to be used as a means to allow developers to port apps to Android vs. actual sideloading of APKs. Also, the second project (Project Islandwood) is supposed to allow the same thing to be done with iOS apps which is really interesting.

One thing for sure is this making me want to update my main device (Lumia 1520) to the Windows 10 Mobile preview to see if the Android subsystem works any better but the OS is still too unstable. I really hope MS leaves this functionality in for the final builds.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 10.Aug.2015 05:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The experience is meh performance-wise and slightly sluggish. Certain items (e.g. video playback) either do not work or are hit and miss. I am sure the somewhat lower-end specs of the Lumia 920 also do not help the performance.

Well, the Lumia 920 has the same processor as the Z10, on which Android apps work really nicely. So either it's because of Windows leaving too little of free resources, or simply because it is such an early build.

Quote:

Also interesting is the apps install without any sort of security/permission warning

It worked the same way on earlier Sailfish OS builds. They were getting all permissions automatically Wink

Anyway, Android compatibility will help Windows Phone just as much as it did help BlackBerry or Jolla, i.e. not at all. Initially, it'll get some interest like all new things do, but surely no single additional person will buy a Windows phone just because of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic