MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish OS Version 1.1.7.28 Björnträsket out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Aug.2015 15:22    Post subject: Sailfish OS Version 1.1.7.28 Björnträsket out   Reply with quote   

New software update is available for regular users now.
Updates for "early access" users had been out for about 4 weeks, with 3 minor updates since.

together.jolla.com wrote:

Highlights

New gcc 4.8 based tool chain is used on SailfishOS platform from this release onwards, bringing C++11, among other things
Alien Dalvik (Android support)
- Added 'Android Support' settings to Settings > System > in the 'Info' section
- Option to prevent Android apps from accessing your contacts
- Option to Stop/Start Android support
- Added a settings page for Android applications in Settings > App from where you can control how the installed application works on your Jolla device (Force stop, Clear cache, Clear data, and running the app on background)
- Having the option to run Android applications on background enables receiving notifications for Android messaging apps even when the app is closed.
- Better WLAN connection handling for Android apps
Introduce certificate handling middleware (p11-kit). All crypto libraries now share one CA store.
Update to PulseAudio 6.0, improving Bluetooth audio
Possibility to choose different keyboard layouts for Bluetooth keyboards if paired with one for different languages via Settings > System > Text input > Active layout
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Aug.2015 17:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

New gcc 4.8 based tool chain is used on SailfishOS platform from this release onwards, bringing C++11, among other things

Does an updated SDK follow this? I haven't received any email notification - neither about the update nor the SDK.

Oh, and Android related changes are again 90% of the changelog Wink
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Aug.2015 17:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There seem to be some more changes "under the hood" that are not Android-related.
But the only directly noticable difference is the new menu to configure Android permissions.

AFAIK, new version of the SDK is due to come out shortly, together with next Sailfish OS version 1.1.9 which will have "almost completely" the new UI from SFOS 2.0.

They must be having some problems with SFOS 2.0 since they introduced this next version only recently (1.1.7 was supposed to be the last one before 2.0).
The tablet will also ship with 1.1.9 - and require apps to be marked "tablet compatible" in the Jolla store.

Which is only possible using the new SDK which has not been released yet... Shocked
I think so far only the "special developers" who received a tablet before anybody else have acces to the new SDK.
And apparently these guys had to sign an NDA so they can't talk about it at all yet.
Great OPEN development.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Sep.2015 01:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Installed this new update. Now I have...

"Critical problem with the Store"

Nothing is installable or uninstallable. Tried the function to fix it from Settings as well as some manual methods, nothing helps.

I am not even attemting to waste hours on resetting this thing to factory state and then having to download and install 30 firmware updates released since this phone's manufacture date.

Unbelievable how half-backed this thing is. I turned it on for the first time for many months (with actually no third party applications installed), downloaded one system update, and it was enough for it to give up the ghost.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Sep.2015 02:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

OK, I did reset the damn thing. Took me back to OS version 1.0.0.5.

I'll let you know how many hours it will now take to bring this mess back to the latest version.

Edit: Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Took downloading four updates, about 2 hours in total. Still, while waiting for it, I updated my Nexus 4 to the latest Android (5.1) from 4.2.2 by downloading and manually flashing the firmware image - within some 20 minutes.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Sep.2015 14:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My update went smoothly, no problems at all.
Can't make out any difference to last version apart from new Android app settings and some other additional settings.

Too early to evaluate the impact on battery life and performance.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Sep.2015 16:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Mine worked fine to. Did have some problems connecting to the carkit with bluetooth. Needed to reboot couple of times.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Sep.2015 17:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This "critical problem with Store" seems to be a very popular problem as many other people write about it on TJC. Mine came from nowhere - clearly the update itself caused it. Something must be corrupting the database. Unfortunately, cleaning and rebuilding it didn't help. It annoyed me because I haven't been using this phone for months, so it literally broke by itself.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Sep.2015 17:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nicest new feature for me so far is that appointment invitations received via E-mail can now finally be added to calendar.
That one was truly missing for me...

Michal, strange that you had these massive problems with an (mostly) "un-hacked" device...
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
42 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Sep.2015 00:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have this critical problem with store from time to time, but until now I could always recover by using utilities menu (I think it's a special app from store and not a built-in setting).

I still use my Jolla as every day and only phone and I'm still satisfied. The TOHKBD works nicely as well (allthough not yet fully functional). Never had problems with update either. Only the battery starts dying, I think I'll have to go for one of those HTC spare batteries...
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 16:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Next SF OS Version 1.1.9.28/Eineheminlampi is released for early access users.
This uses the new Sailfish OS 2.0 User Interface.

More information:

release notes on tjc

detailed changelog on tjc

Blog post on official Jolla Blog.

I'll wait for the release for regular users, since I'm using the device daily and don't want to mess it up...
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 18:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

...and Naytsyrhc did the correct thing and started a new Thread for it. see here.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 18:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I have this critical problem with store from time to time, but until now I could always recover by using utilities menu (I think it's a special app from store and not a built-in setting).

Unfortunately, I could not fix it. Neither using the Settings menu option, nor using the tools from Warehouse, nor manually in the terminal by rebuilding the rpm database.

Considering the number of other people who have experienced this (judging by their reports on TJC), Jolla should take a look at it, because it is simply too fragile and too easy to break by itself (as I said, in my case it happened during the OS update, and with almost no 3rd party applications installed - so it must have been messed by the OS itself while it was updating the database with information about newly installed or updated packages contained in the SYSTEM itelf). Just adding an option to fix it in Settings (which clearly doesn't help in all cases) can hardly be considered a good solution. In the first place, it should not be breaking at all, which is quite achievable considering that it never happened on e.g. my Z10 during 3 years, with lots of apps installed. It doesn't change much that BB10 is QNX rather than Linux based, it only means that BB10's database is sufficiently protected while the Sailfish OS' one isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic