MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
N79 - can't view public wifi landing pages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightjar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N79

PostPosted: Friday, 28.Aug.2015 14:54    Post subject: N79 - can't view public wifi landing pages   Reply with quote   

Hi all, I'm an N79 user In the UK. I have an unhacked device that I use for a few wifi-based activities such as checking email (ProfiMail) and Twitter browsing (Opera Mini/Mobile). These work fine at home where the router password was entered on first use and I now have an automatic connection (WPA2).

I also have several free, public wifi hotspots nearby that I would like to use - specifically those offered by O2Wifi and TheCloud/Sky - but I have failed in my attempts to get the N79 logged in. I know from logging in with other devices (successfully) that they use the captive portal/landing page approach and this seems to be causing the problem. The N79 will detect the network but when I open a browser, the landing page fails to display. I have tried the stock browser, Opera Mobile, Opera Mini and UC browser (in both mobile and desktop modes where available) with the same results. They all seem to be trying to connect but never succeed. Using an iPhone 3GS, I made a note of the landing page address and then entered it directly into Opera Mobile on the N79 but it still failed to connect.

Surely it's possible - any suggestions? Could it be a user agent issue (I note the FAQ item for hacked devices)? DNS settings perhaps? Any help gratefully received!!
Mr.Scienshit
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
3 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: E71

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Sep.2015 23:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hello I have an E71 and use it for internet purposes. I also have a pocket wifi, when connecting my E71 it redirects me to the portal using the stock browser, after a few moments of loading it only displays white. I have an Android phone that connected fine with the pocket wifi, via the portal/landing page that displayed correctly.

I thinl that these old symbian devices simply cannot load the page properly and display it. I am not a real expert on this, but I think its just the symbians browser cant handle it properly.
Nightjar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N79

PostPosted: Monday, 07.Sep.2015 15:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks for your thoughts. My latest observation is that, if I wait long enough, the stock browser returns a 'no reply from gateway' error. The Opera and UC browsers give their own connectivity error messages eventually too. I would have thought that, if it was offered to them, all these browsers would at least attempt to display a simple landing page, even if it did end up malformed. So, I am still wondering if the wifi providers have decided simply not to cooperate with browsers presenting historic user agents. I guess I'll have to hack my N79 to find out, though I'm not sure which of the hacking tools are still functional in 2015...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic